Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

H. Nutt weighs in on Razorbacks' current status

Started by WizardofhOgZ, September 15, 2017, 01:48:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

Houston Nutt is the biggest cancer to ever hit our campus. 

He convinced a whole state that we were second rate, that he was the best we could do and that we couldn't compete.  No other coach believed that until him.

To even listen to his garbage...I can't believe I even opened this thread.  If you think HdN has ANY answers, much less to our problems then you are insane or  to young to remember what he did to this program.
Retired Radio Host

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on September 15, 2017, 02:24:06 pm
Nutt's last game at Ark, he beat a team that would go on to win a national title one their field, yet he has a 2-4 record against Vandy.

Same ol' rah-rah.  Houston always did want to sing Arkansas Fight before he got around to winning the game.

The only thing missing from this interview was the toilet flush.

Hogdomer

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 15, 2017, 08:19:40 pm
Nutt was right about the KY game in WMS in '98. I was present and accounted for that night. It was one of the most exciting games I've ever been to. Kenoy Kennedy was knocking blocks off and David Barrett had a pick 6. And the KY QB was one Tim Couch. KY HC was Hal Mumme. Great game. Fabulous environment that night in LR. You could feel it in the air. My wife and I left that game as wired as we've ever been after an Arkansas football game. The energy was palpable.

Mike Leach was KY's OC.  He said in his book that game was one of the loudest and most electric atmospheres in his career.  And the game was in Little Rock.  Contrast that with the embarrassing game against Florida A&M with 30,000 or losing to Toledo there.  We have fallen a long, long way.

hoglady

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 15, 2017, 10:15:46 pm
Some of us spent five years trying to convince everyone that Nutt was holding the program back and that we could do much better.  Petrino proved we were right.  Now, just a few years later we actually have people thinking it might not be so bad to bring the fake limping loser with the IQ of a coffee table back?

AYSM?

I doubt anyone wants him back - I know I sure don't.
But the enthusiasm was good to hear - it's been a long time since we've heard or seen anything resembling enthusiasm surrounding Arkansas football.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

porkrindjimmy

Anybody who even envisions Houston needing to be here in any capacity over Bret has seriously rewritten the past. Houston was a far bigger scumbag than anyone chooses to remember. He makes Bobby look like an altar boy. He is a water witcher. A snake oil salesman. A Conman....and some of you are rubes.

Bret may be lazy, Bret may be confused, Bret may have less than a clue but he isn't a scumbag. Nutt is a pure D scumbag. Some of you need to back off a ledge. Many people tried to tell you what road we were going down when we hired Bret but for anyone to say Nutt needs to be the AD or that he can motivate...needs their head examined. Nutt could motivate a code red. Nutt could motivate other scumbags to write letters, Nutt could motivate you, the fans, into feeling sorry for Danny...do you remember what he did to Mitch Mustain? A 18 year old kid? Do any of you remember some players were fixing to rough Mitch up? In the locker room? And DMAC stopped it? Yeah...that was good ole Houston...

Dear God people, get a grip.

PRJ

hogfanmd

If Clint doesn't fumble at Tennessee and Reggie Fish is able to not fumble a punt return the whole optic of HDN era would be different and perhaps he would still be here,   No matter what anyone says,  he was the last hog coach to beat Saban or goto Atlanta,  Ill hang up and listen.   HDN did more for Razorback football then Beliema and for a fraction the cost.  He made a lot of mistakes but at least every few years we felt like we had a chance.   Now Ill hang up

GoHogs1091

One thing about Nutt though is that he won some games he shouldn't have won, but he did lose some that he shouldn't have lost.  He didn't do that as much as Bielema regarding the last part of the last sentence.

Highly doubtful Nutt would have lost to Rutgers, to Toledo, and to Texas Tech.  Also, doubtful Nutt would have lost to Missouri last season.

snoot hoggy hog

Houston Nutt weighing in on the current Razorback woes is like farting in the tub then turning around to bite the bubbles.

hogginbama

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 15, 2017, 11:30:36 pm
One thing about Nutt though is that he won some games he shouldn't have won, but he did lose some that he shouldn't have lost.  He didn't do that as much as Bielema regarding the last part of the last sentence.

Highly doubtful Nutt would have lost to Rutgers, to Toledo, and to Texas Tech.  Also, doubtful Nutt would have lost to Missouri last season.

Naw, he probably wouldn't have lost to Missouri last season, but he sure would have lost to Vanderbilt.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

factchecker

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 15, 2017, 11:30:36 pm

Nutt got stomped by G5 UNLV in Las Vegas Bowl.  UNLV went 7-5 that year. Toledo >UNLV

Nutt also got beat by FCS Jacksonville State when he was at Ole Miss.

Nutt got beat by Jack Crowe.

Nutt is 0-1 against Bielema despite having Jones and McFadden.

Don't act like Nutt wouldn't lose to teams he shouldn't.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogfanmd

Quote from: hogginbama on September 15, 2017, 11:35:12 pm
Naw, he probably wouldn't have lost to Missouri last season, but he sure would have lost to Vanderbilt.

Even coach BP needed a fumble from Vandy at our 2yd line and run back for a TD to beat Vandy a few years ago   

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hogfanmd on September 15, 2017, 11:41:51 pm
Even coach BP needed a fumble from Vandy at our 2yd line and run back for a TD to beat Vandy a few years ago   

But he got it didn't he?

PRJ

hogfanmd

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 15, 2017, 11:43:55 pm
But he got it didn't he?

PRJ

He did, and I wish he was still here,  I'm just saying Vandy has been tough for several coaches.

hogginbama

Quote from: hogfanmd on September 15, 2017, 11:41:51 pm

The comparison wasn't about Petrino, it was about Nutt and CBB. Don't change X just because Y doesn't fit your equation.

My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hogfanmd on September 15, 2017, 11:46:16 pm
He did, and I wish he was still here,  I'm just saying Vandy has been tough for several coaches.

Bobby put himself in that position. I love Bobby, wish Bobby was still here. I can't stand Jeff but he put Jeff in that position. Even after Bobby lied...Jeff tried to keep him...and Bobby bucked...he brought it on himself. Heck, maybe Jeff was going to make hin go out there with all those preachers and cry, like Jimmy Swaggart and yell out I have sinned, on camera....

But Jeff gave Bobby a chance.

PRJ

hogginbama

Quote from: hogfanmd on September 15, 2017, 11:46:16 pm

Just as Missouri was tough for another coach and his great abilities...if memory serves me correct it was the Cotton Bowl coached by Herring, but was Nutt coached team throughout the year with all of his assistants on the sideline. That was a 38-7 stomping down in Dallas.

hogfanmd

September 15, 2017, 11:54:56 pm #116 Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:24:03 am by hogfanmd
Quote from: hogginbama on September 15, 2017, 11:48:49 pm
The comparison wasn't about Petrino, it was about Nutt and CBB. Don't change X just because Y doesn't fit your equation.

The premise was that since HDN lost to Vandy he was a bad coach, I'm simply pointing out that even a good coach can have trouble with Vandy. 

however you are technically correct

Riemann hypothesis for Razorback Football
If X = Nutt and Y= Petrino and Z= Beliema
if Y > X  and Y > Z
then is X > or < Z  ????
though Y is > X and Y > Z that does not determine where X > Z or X = Z or X < Z

hogfanmd

Quote from: hogginbama on September 15, 2017, 11:52:00 pm
Just as Missouri was tough for another coach and his great abilities...if memory serves me correct it was the Cotton Bowl coached by Herring, but was Nutt coached team throughout the year with all of his assistants on the sideline. That was a 38-7 stomping down in Dallas.

I'm not trying to hire HDN back or BP...... And I'm not against Coach Beliema.    As a Hog fan I just want us to win.   Its not unreasonable to say that THUS FAR HDN and BP accomplished more, IE SEC championship game, BCS bowl, top 5 then the current coach has... Those are just facts,  and just like J L Smith was a flop, I bet that year would have been different If BP was on the sideline just as the cotton bowl would be different if HDN not fired.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogginbama on September 15, 2017, 11:35:12 pm

Vanderbilt had Jay Cutler when Nutt lost to them.

That loss for Nutt is actually not as bad as losing to Rutgers, Toledo, and Texas Tech.

It is all a matter of perspective.

factchecker

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 16, 2017, 12:02:04 am

That loss for Nutt is actually not as bad as losing to Rutgers, Toledo, and Texas Tech.

Who did UNLV have on their team?

Who did Jacksonville State have on their team when Ole Miss got beat by them?

Also, Texas Tech had Patrick Mahomes on their team..... Mahomes is going to be much better than Cutler.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tigaman

Quote from: factchecker on September 16, 2017, 12:04:05 am

Jacksonville State had Jack Crowe.

hogfanmd

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 16, 2017, 12:02:04 am

You are correct, but some will call it "fake news"

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GoHogs1091

Also, Texas Tech had Patrick Mahomes on their team..... Mahomes is going to be much better than Cutler.

The UNLV loss was a bad loss for Nutt.

I wouldn't necessarily call that Ole Miss loss to Jacksonville State a bad loss.

Jacksonville State around that time was usually highly ranked, and Jacksonville State around that time had players who could have played for Power 5 Conference teams.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 15, 2017, 10:45:55 pm
Mike Leach was KY's OC.  He said in his book that game was one of the loudest and most electric atmospheres in his career.  And the game was in Little Rock.  Contrast that with the embarrassing game against Florida A&M with 30,000 or losing to Toledo there.  We have fallen a long, long way.
Or contrast it with the flat as a pancake crowd at the TCU game in RRS last Sat. 72,000+ and crowd was a non-factor. As Nutt correctly pointed out, TCU was comfortable in our stadium. Too many old people and not enough young people.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

gbaurnett

lunchbox72703

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 15, 2017, 10:40:16 pm

He convinced a whole state that we were second rate, that he was the best we could do and that we couldn't compete.  No other coach believed that until him.

To even listen to his garbage...I can't believe I even opened this thread.  If you think HdN has ANY answers, much less to our problems then you are insane or  to young to remember what he did to this program.

Thank you, finally someone with some sense!!!

alohawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 15, 2017, 10:40:16 pm

No kidding, can't believe some of these comments.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Quickdraw

Some suggested bringing HDN back and some think it would be the same as when he was here the first time. Well when you go back its never the same. Time passes and you learn a lot of things especially from your mistakes because they hurt so bad you don't want to relieve them again. If HDN ever did come back it would be different. I don't know if it would be better but diffenetly  Different.

Justifiable Hogicide

Houston Dale Nutt?
Once you taste sour and spoiled milk - you throw the carton out, you don't take another swig.

Hogwild

Quote from: GuvHog on September 15, 2017, 05:05:13 pm
I'm not being stupid.

Hiring Jeff Long as AD was a seriously stupid move.

YES it was

Hiring Houston Nutt to replace Jeff Long would be a brilliant move.

No it wouldn't

Anything to get rid of Jeff Long is a good move.
Yes it would

TeufelHog

Some "crazy-arse" people on this board.  TCTSNBN'd was nothing more/is nothing more than a used-car salesman.  Some short memories on this board with respect to how he left our program and Ole Piss . . . both in shambles.  H#!! NO.

Dude couldn't win an SECCG with the best running back trio in the nation.

Redhogs

Quote from: factchecker on September 15, 2017, 04:58:22 pm
1. I don't hate Nutt. I just don't want him anywhere near my Razorbacks.

2. I agree with you about Malzahn.  Don't want him here either.

This is not a either/or proposition with Nutt and Bielema or Nutt and Long. If/when/however Long and Bielema leave our program I don't want anyone from the Nutt and Malzahn years on our staff.

There are plenty of good coaches and athletic directors out there - Nutt isn't one of them.
Well said.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

woo.pig

Man! Some of y'all are BITTER. The thing about bitterness is the bitterness only affects you. The person your bitter against could care less.

Hawg414

Quote from: factchecker on September 15, 2017, 05:06:15 pm
I have a feeling that all this love for HDN is because he is from little rock.

There might be some fans who want a "Good Ol' Boy" back in the office so that they feel like they have control again.

Maybe they see it as a chance to save games in WMS.

I don't know, but anyone to overlook the damage Nutt did to this program and fanbase is idiotic.

If ya'll want him back so bad then put him in charge of the little rock trojan football team.

that's a dumb post.  really, really dumb.  and nothing more than you reaching for yet another way to step on LR.

"all this love" for nutt, wherever it is you are seeing it, comes from the fact he was the hogs head coach for 10 years, not the fact he grew up in LR.  and the fact that people all across the state are finally being smacked in the face with the realization that, as bad as he was and as much as we wanted him gone, he was actually better than what we are getting now.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: Switchback on September 15, 2017, 04:43:54 pm
Pure gold!

He'd call in to the radio shows while he takes a dump, like he did at Ole Miss. Cell phone mics are better these days so the toilet flush would be in Hd audio this time around.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 16, 2017, 12:28:03 pm
He'd call in to the radio shows while he takes a dump, like he did at Ole Miss. Cell phone mics are better these days so the toilet flush would be in Hd audio this time around.
Mic turd drop.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: Hawg414 on September 16, 2017, 12:25:41 pm
that's a dumb post.  really, really dumb.  and nothing more than you reaching for yet another way to step on LR.

"all this love" for nutt, wherever it is you are seeing it, comes from the fact he was the hogs head coach for 10 years, not the fact he grew up in LR.  and the fact that people all across the state are finally being smacked in the face with the realization that, as bad as he was and as much as we wanted him gone, he was actually better than what we are getting now.

He was coach for 10 years. Perhaps he would fare better than Bielema as coach in the SEC over the last few years. While I doubt it, because the league is much more difficult now than it was then, and we see exactly how he did he last few years at OM, I don't care. He is a POS as a human and damaged the UA. He should never be allowed to set foot on campus again. You people want I him as the AD are utterly ridiculous.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: hogfanmd on September 15, 2017, 11:23:09 pm
If Clint doesn't fumble at Tennessee and Reggie Fish is able to not fumble a punt return the whole optic of HDN era would be different and perhaps he would still be here,   No matter what anyone says,  he was the last hog coach to beat Saban or goto Atlanta,  Ill hang up and listen.   HDN did more for Razorback football then Beliema and for a fraction the cost.  He made a lot of mistakes but at least every few years we felt like we had a chance.   Now Ill hang up

Typing "I'll hang up and listen" on an internet message board is about the dumbest thing I've seen all day. And I look at a lot of dumb stuff on the internet. And I'm in a thread where people are discussing the virtue of Houston Nutt as a coach.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2017, 02:03:13 pm
i can't listen to him speak, still to soon for me. But yes this was the only thing he did well IMHO was Reverend up a good ole pre game speech to get the boys fired up you know...  we do look uninspired.

Can we hire the guy Auburn had that stood on the side line constantly spinning a towel?
Trooper Taylor.  I hated that guy.  He was such a punk.   Always running  around with his big towel.  Just a punk of the highest magnitude.

HawgsPolo

HDN could always get players to run thru a brickwall for him.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Sivad

Quote from: HawgsPolo on September 16, 2017, 01:36:09 pm
HDN could always get players to...
..perform a code red on his players he didn't like.

Hawg414

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 16, 2017, 12:32:37 pm
He was coach for 10 years. Perhaps he would fare better than Bielema as coach in the SEC over the last few years. While I doubt it, because the league is much more difficult now than it was then, and we see exactly how he did he last few years at OM, I don't care. He is a POS as a human and damaged the UA. He should never be allowed to set foot on campus again. You people want I him as the AD are utterly ridiculous.

who is "you people?"  i certainly dont want him.  and dont know anyone in LR who wants him anywhere near the program.  that was the whole point... factchecker is making up facts rather than checking them... and is suggesting "all this love" for nutt is coming from LR.  just another attempt at a shot at LR, which is what many of "you people" are best at.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HawgsPolo on September 16, 2017, 01:36:09 pm
HDN could always get players to run thru a brickwall for him.

That's part of the problem with HDN...inconsistency. He could blow smoke up their skirts to get them up for a particularly big game, but he couldn't motivate them on a regular basis, which accounts for great performances against better opponents and lesser performances at other times. He was a lazy HC.
Go Hogs Go!

arlhog

I am not a fan of HDN at all. He was almost a joke as a head coach but he did get his players up to play more often than not.  But please do not even think about bringing him back.

HognitiveDissonance

Nutt compares favorably to Bielema, actually a little better. Neither as good as Petrino.

Coming from the dark days of the 90s of Razorback football, Nutt was exactly what was needed in 1998. An enthusiastic, energetic guy who loved the Hogs. I'll always look fondly on his decade for that reason. It was mostly an era of relevance and rejuvenation after some bad moments the previous decade. I had forgotten how much fun college football can be until 1998-99. Most of my visits to away games in the SEC came in those years.

I generally don't think it's a good idea to recycle coaches, and Petrino showed there are guys out there that are clearly better than Nutt, so you know you would be 'settling' to bring him back.

GuvHog

Mahomes is a better runner but Cutler is by far a better passer.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 16, 2017, 01:42:11 pm
That's part of the problem with HDN...inconsistency. He could blow smoke up their skirts to get them up for a particularly big game, but he couldn't motivate them on a regular basis, which accounts for great performances against better opponents and lesser performances at other times. He was a lazy HC.

As I said earlier, I don't want Houston Nut back as head coach but let's put things in perspective:

In 6 of Houston Nutt's 10 years at Arkansas, he won at least 8 regular season games.

This is Bret Bielema's 5th year at Arkansas and he is YET to win 8 games in regular season play.

That speaks serious volumes.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogfanmd on September 15, 2017, 11:23:09 pm

+1000

He was a better coach than Crowe, J.L. Smith and Bielema, hut that's saying very little.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 16, 2017, 03:14:22 pm
+1000

He was a better coach than Crowe, J.L. Smith and Bielema, hut that's saying very little.

Agreed.