Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU did real damage to themselves

Started by BPsTheMan, November 29, 2015, 11:13:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

How many games into next season does the "fire Miles" chatter start again? Or maybe even after their bowl game this year....

Will be fun to watch that fan base squirm for another year.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: hobhog on November 30, 2015, 06:44:46 pm
How many games into next season does the "fire Miles" chatter start again? Or maybe even after their bowl game this year....

Will be fun to watch that fan base squirm for another year.

LOL you mean the way some of our fans rant and rave "fire Bielema" every time the other team scores a TD?

Hogwild

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 30, 2015, 06:43:16 pm
Les Miles Head Coach

Mark Richt OC

Nick Saban DC

YIKES

done deal

When at LSU-

Saban was LSU HC

Jimbo was LSU DC

Was the DC Pelini or Muschamp?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hogwild on November 30, 2015, 06:54:09 pm
When at LSU-

Saban was LSU HC

Jimbo was LSU DC

Was the DC Pelini or Muschamp?

Jimbo was the OC.
Muschamp the DC.  Pelini was at Nebraska in 2003 with Solich.
This is my non-signature signature.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 30, 2015, 03:02:48 pm
Long term this won't hurt LSU at all, short term it will be a blip.

you must be too young to remember Curley Hallman, Mike Archer and Gerry DiNardo

that was about a 12 year drought

LSU doesn't have immunity

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 30, 2015, 07:03:02 pm
you must be too young to remember Curley Hallman, Mike Archer and Gerry DiNardo

that was about a 12 year drought

LSU doesn't have immunity

and yet, they still have Les. As I said this debacle of all almost firing him won't hurt them. If they actually had fired him, yes I believe they would have been hurt.

ricepig

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 30, 2015, 07:15:35 pm
and yet, they still have Les. As I said this debacle of all almost firing him won't hurt them. If they actually had fired him, yes I believe they would have been hurt.

They open at Wisconsin next year, lose that one and see how patient they are.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 30, 2015, 07:15:35 pm
and yet, they still have Les. As I said this debacle of all almost firing him won't hurt them.

it's going to hurt them, and the hurt is going to spiral

Cave City Joe

LSU Admin rally screwed the pooch on this one.  They look bad no matter what they did after letting the cat out of the bag.  It has to hurt recruiting.  If everything stays the same Les is gone next year.  If he goes out and hires a top OC that runs the spread and can bring in a 4+ or 5 star QB he will get at least 2 years.  The latter would be LSU's best option and let Les' buyout go down.  I don't think Jimbo will ever go to LSU.  Same money and easier to win in ACC.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 30, 2015, 08:19:31 pm
Isn't that Alleva's day job?

It should be. Or wearing an apron serving coffee. I don't think I'd trust him to actually put the cheese on my hashbrowns
This is my non-signature signature.

thebignasty

He's gone soon, and Alleva probably is too.  This feels like late Nutt era darn, for them.

Vantage 8 dude

While I honestly can't say whether or not LSU's clumsy/inept handling of the whole Les Miles "will he or won't be fired" mess will cost them down the road, I think one would have to be totally delusional if they didn't at least realize that the tiggers didn't exactly cover themselves in glory the way things unfolded. It reminded me somewhat of the   "Chinese fire drill" we always hear about.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hoglady on November 30, 2015, 08:33:48 am
For sure.
But the real problem with the offense is not the OC's - it's Miles.
The LSU offense stays the same no matter who the OC is.
LSU needs a good QB more than they need a new coach.
Jordan Jefferson, Brandon Harris, Anthony Jennings, etc. With these guys, they win in spite of them as much as because of them.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: thebignasty on November 30, 2015, 09:07:45 pm
He's gone soon, and Alleva probably is too.  This feels like late Nutt era darn, for them.
Goofy singing their fight song or alma mater(whatever), was priceless. Please don't fire paw paw hat. :puke:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

hoglady

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 30, 2015, 11:51:45 pm
LSU needs a good QB more than they need a new coach.
Jordan Jefferson, Brandon Harris, Anthony Jennings, etc. With these guys, they win in spite of them as much as because of them.

They need a coach who can teach and develop a QB.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

mike32

Quote from: hoglady on December 01, 2015, 06:16:53 pm
Quote from: hoglady on December 01, 2015, 06:16:53 pm

Good article about what supposedly happened.  Gotta love Louisiana politics.

http://thehayride.com/2015/11/notes-on-a-f-king-debacle/

PorkSoda

Quote from: mike32 on December 01, 2015, 07:41:47 pm

sounds plausible.  Fisher at LSU would have been scary.  I'm kind of glad the deal fell through.

I still think miles should be doing cameos on swamp people, instead of coaching football.

this is really a weird thing.  I can't imagine he stays much longer after this.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

mike32

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 01, 2015, 08:18:56 pm
sounds plausible.  Fisher at LSU would have been scary.  I'm kind of glad the deal fell through.

I still think miles should be doing cameos on swamp people, instead of coaching football.

this is really a weird thing.  I can't imagine he stays much longer after this.

I'm a transplant Tiger fan living in NWA so needless to say I was stoked to think Miles was gone.  Was beyond po'd to hear that it was all politics that kept us from hopefully no longer having an offense that is about as exciting as watching paint dry. 

panhandlepig

Quote from: mike32 on December 01, 2015, 10:26:17 pm
I'm a transplant Tiger fan living in NWA so needless to say I was stoked to think Miles was gone.  Was beyond po'd to hear that it was all politics that kept us from hopefully no longer having an offense that is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

LSU has always been my "second team" going way back when we were not in the same conference. That AD handled this as badly as anything I've ever seen. Les is a dead man walking. He knows it. The team knows it. The recruits know it. The fan base is so divided at this point they don't even know what to do but bitch. It's unfortunate. Glad it is y'all and not us.

MaconBacon

If this was all fabricated speculation without any consideration to cut Les, then why did the school wait so long for the announcement?   You know the average dummy like me would just think that if Miles loses that game, he'e gone. I think this was very, very ugly for a school to stay silent during all the funk in the air and then slide in the last minute. To me its obvious

Hog N Bama

Let's hope Louisiana politics remains alive and well.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MaconBacon on December 02, 2015, 11:07:28 pm
If this was all fabricated speculation without any consideration to cut Les, then why did the school wait so long for the announcement?   You know the average dummy like me would just think that if Miles loses that game, he'e gone. I think this was very, very ugly for a school to stay silent during all the funk in the air and then slide in the last minute. To me its obvious
I honestly believe that once it became evident that there were likely snags in hiring Jimbo away from FSU the whole issue became a real live hand grenade.  Under the circumstances IF you were going to fire Miles then you'd better have your replacement securely "tucked into bed" and just waiting for the formal announcement. Otherwise the whole issue was very likely going to end up exactly they way it unfolded. Then again, with what I've learned of Louisiana politics and all who the heck really knows for sure (other than those actually involved of course) what might have gone on behind closed doors.

RazorWhacker

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 30, 2015, 08:25:56 pm
Shouldn't that be magnificent? 

Yep. That was it.

I can't believe I fumbled Patton.

Somebody should  do a negative karma thingy to me.

PonderinHog

Quote from: RazorWhacker on December 03, 2015, 08:04:45 am
Yep. That was it.

I can't believe I fumbled Patton.

Somebody should  do a negative karma thingy to me.
Send him to the front!   >:(

BPsTheMan

DAMN good article

"And yet, if the stories are true, Alexander blew up the hire of a national championship coach whose last four starting quarterbacks heading into this year have all been first-round draft picks to replace Miles – so that he could preserve his Poor F. King Alexander narrative."

BPsTheMan

"And Alleva, or the powers that be who he represents, touched off a two-week media firestorm surrounding Miles' future by leaking word to Rabalais that he was coaching for his job in the final two weeks of the season...for, as it turns out, no reason. If the stories are true, Alleva had leveraged private money in order to upgrade the LSU football program and reinject it with energy and lifeblood by making one of the largest coaching hires in the history of college football, and promptly had his legs cut out from under him because of politics.

To me, it sounds far-fetched, because I wouldn't have thought Alleva capable of pulling off such a coup. But I'm reliably told that's precisely what happened. F. King Alexander's narrative about LSU's financial disaster, which is not actually true, was more important than doing what it takes to upgrade the most important program within the athletic department and put it in position to compete for championships."

BPsTheMan

"Alleva is now being targeted by virtually everyone for a firing. I don't oppose that, for lots of reasons not involving this mess. If he's smart, he'll get the hell out of here before the axe falls and he'll be well justified in doing so. Alexander not only killed his big coup but wiped out the chance to land a solid Plan B choice who could have halted the decline of the program in similar fashion to what Fisher would have, and Alleva is catching the blame for the entire thing. I feel strange defending him but if the story is true he is being unfairly trashed.

Meanwhile, Georgia fired Mark Richt after a 9-3 season remarkably similar to the one Les Miles survived. Guess the politics at Georgia aren't as much of an obstacle to the adults doing what needs doing in order to fix a stagnant program.

As for LSU, it's back to being a political chew toy with a clown in charge. Louisiana has come full circle.

Just don't expect the big donors to cough up any sizable checks to make any big moves happen anytime soon. Once bitten, twice shy."

BPsTheMan

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/14179166-63/sources-lsu-jimbo-fisher-entered

"The LSU Board of Supervisors never received a recommendation to end Miles' contract — something that would have been made by Alleva and approved by (LSU President) Alexander. The board was split on the issue, said multiple board members.

"Half were hoping for him to be fired, and half were hoping we'd keep him," one board member said.

Alexander informed members at halftime of the decision to keep Miles.

Alexander's message to board members, another recalled: "Win or lose, this man is our coach, and we've got to stand with him.""

ArkansasI

There are tons of assumptions in that article.  I don't know why the author believes that Les would be welcomed at Missouri or South Carolina after being fired at LSU.  There may have been some non-conference suitors for Les, but I believe that there was a part of the man that was happy to be cashing a $15M check at year end - and who could blame him?

This has a "Nutt-vibe" about it.  It seems that LSU is left hoping that Les will take another job ASAP.  Otherwise, LSU is stuck with a coach whose offensive philosophy forces him to underperform given the talent on hand; and the rest of the country thinks your administration and fanbase are crazy for considering the idea of getting rid of a coach with a respectable winning percentage.

Too bad for LSU that Ole Miss isn't looking for a coach.

nole10591

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on December 04, 2015, 07:46:33 am
http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/14179166-63/sources-lsu-jimbo-fisher-entered

"The LSU Board of Supervisors never received a recommendation to end Miles' contract — something that would have been made by Alleva and approved by (LSU President) Alexander. The board was split on the issue, said multiple board members.

"Half were hoping for him to be fired, and half were hoping we'd keep him," one board member said.

Alexander informed members at halftime of the decision to keep Miles.

Alexander's message to board members, another recalled: "Win or lose, this man is our coach, and we've got to stand with him.""

Advocate is so full of caca !!! https://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1833488
So long lost DECADE !!!

ricepig

LZH

Word down here is that Jimbo wanted Nick Saban type money, plus his assitants, adding up to about 15 million dollars.

Personally, I think Miles' flirtation with Jeff Long a few years ago, even if it was just a complimentary call or a bit of advice, did not sit well with some of the big money grips in Baton Rouge.

Let him go 8-5 next year and see how hot his leather office chair becomes all over again.

Fort Dweller

That is possibly the best titled article I've seen.  F. King debacle.  It writes itself.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself?