Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Animal Kingdon not shipping until the morning of the Preakness

Started by $2towinon7, May 18, 2011, 01:09:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

$2towinon7

I'm not as knowledgeable in a hands on sense with horses, but is waiting until the morning of the 2nd biggest race of a horse's life to ship him to the track a little odd or risky? I feel like i've always heard people say it's good to let the horse get acquainted with their surroundings.  Shipping to pimlico from fair hill (60 miles) a few hours before the race just seems ballsy.  Or is it a non-issue?... idk, thoughts?

Rendezvous Cook

I don't know much about that either, but I'll take it as a negative sign in consideration in going against.

heavylifting

Non-issue.

They do this all the time along the eastern seaboard and elsewhere.

Hundreds of horses are stabled at Fair Hill and ship out the morning of a race to Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and West Virginia.

Not only that, but I believe that horses are still stabled at Laurel even when Pimlico is open for racing, so they're leaving that venue the morning of a race to go to Baltimore.

This happens in SoCal, as well -- even though Hollywood is racing now, the barn area at Santa Anita is still open and horses will ship. In fact, many horsemen stabled at Hollywood over the winter, so as to be able to train over the synthetic surface there.

In all these situations, they ship the morning of the race and return almost immediately after the horse cools out post-race.

So, I wouldn't let this issue sway your decision as to how he will do in the race.