Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aTm Game depth chart

Started by ricepig, September 18, 2017, 10:09:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

It's plain and simple. Ty Clary was on skates against both Florida A&M and TCU. It just stood out more in the TCU game because of the increase in talent level. They dominated that young man. I'm not trying to knock him either because he may turn out to be a very good football player. It's obvious that he's smart. I'm just saying that right now he's not PHYSICALLY ready for the big boys.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 11:46:24 am
Wallace knew about it silly. They kept it out of the media.
And how do you know Wallace knew about it? Are you an insider?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 11:46:24 am
Wallace knew about it silly. They kept it out of the media.

I believe about 1/2 of what the coaches say.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

IronHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:46:00 am
Joe I'm with you. Guys like Trey Biddy are saying the same thing.

Just can't get through to some people.

Biddy is a straight shooter.

He thinks they should be playing the same line as last year with whoever at left OT.

Put Wallace beside Gibson and freaking run right.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:46:00 am
Joe I'm with you. Guys like Trey Biddy are saying the same thing.

Just can't get through to some people.
At some point the few 4 stars that we get have to start working out.what we are being told  is none of the 5 on the OL is good enough.then i say something is very wrong with our recruiting.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:36:13 am
Or maybe start the solid veteran RT that played well last year instead of a blue shirt true freshman?
I have not heard Mike Irwin or any media member who has actually seen practice say that Wallace is steamrolling folks in practice and that there is an obvious conspiracy causing BB to not play the best players. Wallace got his ass handed to him in practice! It's that simple. He can turn it around if he is willing to win it back!

IronHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:51:10 am
Exactly. And why would he be? He's a true freshman and an under recruited one at that. You can't take his smarts and practice effort and equate that to actual SEC game experience.

But there are some who believe that because he's a Razorback, he's a true diamond in the rough and the second coming of Brandon Burlsworth.

Kirkland and Skipper didn't start that early on teams BB was trying to put his mark on....both huge dudes from day one

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 11:48:24 am
And how do you know Wallace knew about it? Are you an insider?

Bielema has talked about it a great deal. Wallace isn't stupid so when he stops getting reps with the #1 O-line 3 weeks before the first game he'd realize that the move had been made.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

IronHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 11:54:30 am
I have not heard Mike Irwin or any media member who has actually seen practice say that Wallace is steamrolling folks in practice and that there is an obvious conspiracy causing BB to not play the best players. Wallace got his ass handed to him in practice! It's that simple. He can turn it around if he is willing to win it back!

Arkansas doesn't have any defenders that can stramroll Wallace

Just stop the cool aid

WilsonHog

Here's my simple question on the "playing favorites" angle, for those of you advancing that argument.

Is it your position that Bielema is sitting in his office thinking, "You know, playing this player might get my quarterback injured and may even lose games that will cost me my job, but piss on it...I'm going to do it anyway."

That your position?

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 11:39:55 am
And we ended up getting him over a lot of other teams.
He never visited! But, there you go BP great national recruiter! Any names of 4-5 star he actually recruited here not from Arkansas or surrounding states who didn't choose another school first only to have scholly yanked?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 11:47:26 am
It's plain and simple. Ty Clary was on skates against both Florida A&M and TCU. It just stood out more in the TCU game because of the increase in talent level. They dominated that young man. I'm not trying to knock him either because he may turn out to be a very good football player. It's obvious that he's smart. I'm just saying that right now he's not PHYSICALLY ready for the big boys.
Yep! i saw the same thing when i went back and watched the video.also saw the young man just get over powered on some plays in that TCU game.he may turn out to be a good player here.i hope he does.but in my opinion,he is not ready to play right now.my eyes see what they see.

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 11:57:59 am
He never visited! But, there you go BP great national recruiter! Any names of 4-5 star he actually recruited here not from Arkansas or surrounding states who didn't choose another school first only to have scholly yanked?

That's fine, but you don't get to credit CBB for signing Whaley, since he wanted to go to UGA.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Been10Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 11:57:41 am
Here's my simple question on the "playing favorites" angle, for those of you advancing that argument.

Is it your position that Bielema is sitting in his office thinking, "You know, playing this player might get my quarterback injured and may even lose games that will cost me my job, but piss on it...I'm going to do it anyway."

That your position?

No one will answer this question!!

forrest city joe

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 11:57:41 am

Is it your position that Bielema is sitting in his office thinking, "You know, playing this player might get my quarterback injured and may even lose games that will cost me my job, but I'm going to do it anyway."

That your position?

It's called being stubborn as hell. and taking the attitude that he knows he's right no matter what others say.Les Miles knew he needed change with his offense.he refused to do it because he was stubborn as hell. and it got him fired.both still believe they can win with the guys they run out there.they are not trying to lose.they are just being stubborn as hell.

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 19, 2017, 12:05:13 pm
It's called being stubborn as hell. and taking the attitude that he knows he's right no matter what others say.Les Miles knew he needed change with his offense.he refused to do it because he was stubborn as hell. and it got him fired.both still believe they can win with the guys they run out there.they are not trying to lose.they are just being stubborn as hell.

bingo
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:02:28 pm
I'll restate mine: (earlier post about Hammonds but it can be applied for any position)

I don't think it's necessarily playing favorites as it is rewarding the "uncommon" guys. What I mean by that is the guys that give 110% in practice, nod their head to everything the coaches tell them, keep their GPA up, and cause no trouble.

While I would personally love for that to translate into the most talented players playing, it doesn't. Example......I keep hearing this issue of "trust" with TJ Hammonds. I assume TJ isn't practicing as well as CBB would like. Maybe he has less effort than guys like Stewart and Pettway. I don't know. But none of those guys have the talent or skill set TJ has. There may be only one player like TJ Hammonds on the roster.......himself.

I liken him to Joe Adams. We all saw how much of a difference Adams made for those Hog teams he played for. Can TJ make that kind of difference? Only one way to tell.

TJ may not be the type of player and personality CBB prefers, but there has to be a balance of taking what you see in practice and understanding who your studs are.

And that is a plausible argument. It might even be argued that such a position is a logical extension of the type of program Jeff Long wants Bielema to run. The kids who play on Saturdays will be the ones who do what is expected Sunday through Friday, talent be darned.

PorkRinds

I'll restate mine: (earlier post about Hammonds but it can be applied for any position)

I don't think it's necessarily playing favorites as it is rewarding the "uncommon" guys. What I mean by that is the guys that give 110% in practice, nod their head to everything the coaches tell them, keep their GPA up, and cause no trouble.

While I would personally love for that to translate into the most talented players playing, it doesn't. Example......I keep hearing this issue of "trust" with TJ Hammonds. I assume TJ isn't practicing as well as CBB would like. Maybe he has less effort than guys like Stewart and Pettway. I don't know. But none of those guys have the talent or skill set TJ has. There may be only one player like TJ Hammonds on the roster.......himself.

I liken him to Joe Adams. We all saw how much of a difference Adams made for those Hog teams he played for. Can TJ make that kind of difference? Only one way to tell.

TJ may not be the type of player and personality CBB prefers, but there has to be a balance of taking what you see in practice and understanding who your studs are.

And that's exactly the problem I have with your view. You take the least likelybacenario, that some how CBB has a personal dislike for Hammonds, that some how TJ isn't "uncommon" and pretend that's the only or most likely scenario. I think that's absurd.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 12:08:02 pm
And that is a plausible argument. It might even be argued that such a position is a logical extension of the type of program Jeff Long wants Bielema to run. The kids who play on Saturdays will be the ones who do what is expected Sunday through Friday, talent be darned.

Personally I don't think there's any reasonable logic to the thought that the coaches are playing players who are good in class and responsible while leaving more talented players off the field to the detriment of the team. That's just not what coaches do. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 08:46:31 am

I think this is right and it is why BB fails.

I doubt McFadden would have played for BB.

McFadden would have played if you were the HC. That's how much he loves the Hogs.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:11:18 pm
Why is it the most unlikely?

From hearing CBB speak, it's not a far reach to think he would reward a hard worker in practice over a guy that's more talented.

While noble, that'll get you beat in the SEC more times than not.

I think, first of all, it's a disservice to hammonds to assume he isn't "uncommon" and that CBB doesn't like him personally. Next, it's unlikely that working hard is enough to win you the job. Everyone out there is working hard, so being able to do what they ask if you is likely the more pertinent factor. If a guy can't perform his duties in practice, are you saying it's a great option or just see if he will in a game? The testing ground should be during an SEC game? No, that's what practice is for. Again, it's been so bad with Wallace that they installed a headset in his helmet to tell him his assignments. If you think that's not what's holding him back and that it's instead some personal animosity thing, I don't know what to tell you.

Wildhog

If I never hear the word, "uncommon" again, it will be too soon.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

What part of "Hammonds has been injured and has had very, very little practice time" do you not understand???

RazorPiggie

RME

The fact that people think these coaches, who knew their jobs are on the line, aren't playing the best players is absolutely bananaland.

That they have some personal ill or vendetta against a better player but choose to sit him. If that's the case and these coaches are that arrogant, then they need to be gone.

But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not the case.

WilsonHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 12:10:36 pm
Personally I don't think there's any reasonable logic to the thought that the coaches are playing players who are good in class and responsible while leaving more talented players off the field to the detriment of the team. That's just not what coaches do.

I believe there are degrees in anything. This, too.

This is what I can't make sense of.

What I've heard and read has been about how complicated Anderson's calls and assignments are. Well, Wallace started multiple games last year; has the system gotten harder?

Might it be that Anderson simply views Gibson as a better right tackle than Wallace? I don't know.

Could it be that Wallace didn't respond well in practice to the competition from Clary and Gibson? Got me.

Could it be that Wallace played last year because he was just the best available man at the time? Possible.

Could Anderson view Wallace as more gifted physically but not as reliable? Maybe.

What I do believe is that there is a reason behind it more than "I just like this guy. He's just a super keen kid!" That's just ignorant.

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 12:17:21 pm
What part of "Hammonds has been injured and has had very, very little practice time" do you not understand???

the cbb needs to quit saying we need to get him the ball more

GuvHog

Quote from: Kevin on September 19, 2017, 12:22:59 pm
the cbb needs to quit saying we need to get him the ball more

I agree with this. If he's going to say it, he needs to do it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 12:19:36 pm
I believe there are degrees in anything. This, too.

This is what I can't make sense of.

What I've heard and read has been about how complicated Anderson's calls and assignments are. Well, Wallace started multiple games last year; has the system gotten harder?

Might it be that Anderson simply views Gibson as a better right tackle than Wallace? I don't know.

Could it be that Wallace didn't respond well in practice to the competition from Clary and Gibson? Got me.

Could it be that Wallace played last year because he was just the best available man at the time? Possible.

Could Anderson view Wallace as more gifted physically but not as reliable? Maybe.

What I do believe is that there is a reason behind it more than "I just like this guy. He's just a super keen kid!" That's just ignorant.

Agreed with all of that.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 12:24:12 pm
I agree with this. If he's going to say it, he needs to do it.

I don't care what he says/does, so long as he's winning.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:22:14 pm
What part of "can be applied to any position" do you not understand?

Then use another position for an example. Hammonds doesn't fit your point.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:11:59 am
Now you are making stuff up. The entire summer and fall the offensive line was being reported as follows:

LT- Jackson
LG- Froholdt
C- Ragnow
RG- Gibson
RT- Wallace

Clary was inserted like a week before the first game. Gibson was never projected at or even competeting for the RT spot from reports.

In one of Bielema's pressers, he said he kept the reported O line like that because he didn't want Clary to have to worry about any publicity, but that Clary earned the job because of his efforts and whatever other adjective he used in practice.  So use that info to alter your opinion slightly.  He's telling you Clary earned it, now the debatable part is that is in the eyes of this staff. 

Something I just saw scroll across ESPN, the number 1 recruit in the nation in 2015 is leaving the Auburn program because he has been playing "sparingly".  So, you can really draw a similar situation to what we have here, it happens at many programs that recruits with higher star ratings come in and often show that jus tbecause they are a hihger star rating does not mean they get starting jobs.  Its VERY VERY!!!! similar to the draft boards, we see the Mcshay and Kipers screw up all the time dang time and you could predict more bust off their draft boards than anything, well it's similar people ranking these players.  The ranking system has as many misses and whiffs as it does corrected can't miss recruits.  It shouldn't be used as a barometer and in my opinion is short sighted and lazy to use in an argument.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:24:29 pm
So you're telling me, you believe Wallace regressed to the degree you're stating after how we all saw him perform in ACTUAL SEC GAMES last year?

If Wallace was the absolute only example, you might have an argument. It's been discussed that this applies to several positions.

Evidently he was the best option last year. Evidently this year he isn't. He may not have regressed as much as not progressed as much as others.  Again, having to install a headset in his helmet to tell him what to do says it all. You can't put a guy on the field that doesn't know what to do. What I WILL say, is that if good players are getting left behind by the scheme and only super smart guys can pick it up, there is a problem with the system and it should be simplified.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:02:38 pm
That's fine, but you don't get to credit CBB for signing Whaley, since he wanted to go to UGA.
Actually, I do! He wasn't told to Greyshirt at UGA! UGA had a scholarship for him and he chose us over the new staff. It was between us and UGA the entire time. wth?

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:11:18 pm
Why is it the most unlikely?

From hearing CBB speak, it's not a far reach to think he would reward a hard worker in practice over a guy that's more talented.

While noble, that'll get you beat in the SEC more times than not.

It's the most unlikely because that doesn't give him the best chance to keep his job! You are arguing he is playing less talented players b/c GPA or being yes men. That won't keep his job and he knows it. Did JJ Watt have the best GPA at Wisconsin? Is that why as a walkon he beat out 3,4 and 5 stars as a walkon? He was the best player and proved it in PRACTICE!

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:26:44 pm
Actually, I do! He wasn't told to Greyshirt at UGA! UGA had a scholarship for him and he chose us over the new staff. It was between us and UGA the entire time. wth?

He wanted to play for Richt at UGA.  That was his first choice.

You can't discredit Petrino for a player falling in his lap and credit Bielema for basically the same thing. 

Well, you can, but you'd be intellectually dishonest.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

Never thought a Depth Chart thread would make it past 5 pages.

ricepig

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:24:29 pm
So you're telling me, you believe Wallace regressed to the degree you're stating after how we all saw him perform in ACTUAL SEC GAMES last year?

If Wallace was the absolute only example, you might have an argument. It's been discussed that this applies to several positions.

Why are they favoring Gibson over Wallace?

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 12:27:58 pm
Never thought a Depth Chart thread would make it past 5 pages.

The end is nigh
1909/1964/1965/1977

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:27:54 pm

You can't discredit Petrino for a player falling in his lap and credit Bielema for basically the same thing. 

It's dishonest to compare the Philon story to Whaley

WilsonHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 12:26:34 pm
Evidently he was the best option last year. Evidently this year he isn't. He may not have regressed as much as not progressed as much as others.  Again, having to install a headset in his helmet to tell him what to do says it all. You can't put a guy on the field that doesn't know what to do. What I WILL say, is that if good players are getting left behind by the scheme and only super smart guys can pick it up, there is a problem with the system and it should be simplified.

Your last point is well-taken, especially in light of limited practice time.

PorkRinds

Whaley could have chosen other programs. It was way before signing day. Two different scenarios. Whaley didn't fall in CBB's lap.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 12:29:29 pm
Whaley could have chosen other programs. It was way before signing day. Two different scenarios. Whaley didn't fall in CBB's lap.

Philon knew several days before NSD that he didn't have a scholarship.  He could have gone to a multitude of different schools.

Both players fell into Arkansas' lap.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:30:12 pm
Philon knew several days before NSD that he didn't have a scholarship.  He could have gone to a multitude of different schools.

Was he ever actually recruited by us? Whaley was, and heavily.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 12:30:38 pm
The last of your paragraph is more true than the first. Actual game play should weigh more than anything.

Actual game play isn't the time to experiment. The guys that have shown the most in practice play, pretty much everywhere.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 12:30:47 pm

Yes.  We had been in contact with him for a long time since we recruiting his teammate, Jamichael Winston. 

We just never had a shot before Bama dropped him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Been10Hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 12:30:47 pm
Philon never even visited. He chose us last minute. I think Irwin had an article on it

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:32:12 pm
Philon never even visited. He chose us last minute. I think Irwin had an article on it

Correct.  He still could have gone to a ton of other schools.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

The mental gymnastics you guys will perform to discredit Petrino's success is staggering.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

Well difference was Philon was EXTREMELY last minute. Devwah had a couple of months to decide where he wanted to go. He did have an offer from Miami.