Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heiss turns down Cubs, opts to play for Razorbacks

Started by wholehogsports, June 22, 2016, 09:46:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dotnet

That is awesome.  Hopefully he can be a day one starter or at least a top bullpen guy his freshman year like Zach Jackson was

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 22, 2016, 10:43:26 am
That is awesome.  Hopefully he can be a day one starter or at least a top bullpen guy his freshman year like Zach Jackson was
Don't see day 1 starter as an option with who we have returning, but this guy will have a chance to regularly hit 95 mph, and could definitely take over that stopper role from day 1.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 22, 2016, 11:20:07 am
Don't see day 1 starter as an option with who we have returning, but this guy will have a chance to regularly hit 95 mph, and could definitely take over that stopper role from day 1.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and I too think next year could be great. But there isn't one starter returning who didn't get benched at some point during this past year. Yeah, he may not need to start, hopefully not, but it's definitely an option.

GuvHog

Quote from: dotnet on June 22, 2016, 11:49:23 am
I appreciate the enthusiasm and I too think next year could be great. But there isn't one starter returning who didn't get benched at some point during this past year. Yeah, he may not need to start, hopefully not, but it's definitely an option.

That's what I was thinking. If those returning don't improve substantially, he just may turn out to be a starter from day 1. I sure hope that isn't the case.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 22, 2016, 11:49:23 am
Yes, but I am not sure Knight deserved being relegated to the bullpen. He was pretty steady most of the season, in my opinion. I don't think it is that crazy to think him and Campbell improve drastically considering they got significant innings in SEC play and actually looked relatively good at the end of the season. Neither one of them were helped by our defense. Knight ended the season with a 2.98 ERA and Campbell with a 3.69. Opponents hit .256 against Campbell.

Taco and McKinney were coming off major surgery. We can agree to disagree, but I would bet you anything you want that there is no chance he comes in and is a "day one starter." Could someone be benched and him move into a starting role next year? Sure, but you said "DAY 1" meaning he starts from the minute the season starts. That isn't going to happen. Knight, Campbell, McKinney, Taco, and maybe Loeske will all be ahead of him in the pecking order, in my opinion.

Scott7703

Quote from: jry04 on June 22, 2016, 01:28:54 pm
Yes, but I am not sure Knight deserved being relegated to the bullpen. He was pretty steady most of the season, in my opinion. I don't think it is that crazy to think him and Campbell improve drastically considering they got significant innings in SEC play and actually looked relatively good at the end of the season. Neither one of them were helped by our defense. Knight ended the season with a 2.98 ERA and Campbell with a 3.69. Opponents hit .256 against Campbell.

Taco and McKinney were coming off major surgery. We can agree to disagree, but I would bet you anything you want that there is no chance he comes in and is a "day one starter." Could someone be benched and him move into a starting role next year? Sure, but you said "DAY 1" meaning he starts from the minute the season starts. That isn't going to happen. Knight, Campbell, McKinney, Taco, and maybe Loeske will all be ahead of him in the pecking order, in my opinion.

I agree with this. I feel good about the four aboved mentioned. The two freshman showed signs of brilliance and McKinney and taco were never fully recovered from injury.

PigWig

ricepig

I hope he comes in and earns a spot, it means he's good.

DiamondHogFan

Getting guys like Heiss in addition to Coach Johnson wanting "power arms" makes me excited about the next few years and beyond.  I think our pitching staff does a 180° turn and we are one of the best next year. 

bulldog04

So if Heiss throws 95 and Johnson improves pitch speed, does that mean Heiss will throw 100 by the time he leaves?

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 22, 2016, 05:09:10 pm
So if Heiss throws 95 and Johnson improves pitch speed, does that mean Heiss will throw 100 by the time he leaves?
He might.

Would be nice to see him turn into the next Colby Suggs which I think is his potential.  Be an AA closer who throws 97-98 with a nice breaking ball.

I think he is probably a set up guy next year for Taco who closes if all goes to DVH's plan.  With hiring Johnson as the pitching coach, I think it is possible for Taco to sit 95+ in short stints with his natural life and then have Heiss in the 8th throwing 93-97 with some good life on his fastball as well.

And hopefully that is after the three guys I have down as starting (McKinney, Campbell, and Knight) throwing in the low to mid 90s as well.  After struggling to find many pitchers who could throw it by hitters last year, we could have a lot of them in 2017.

On another note, it will be interesting to see what Johnson does with Lucas Krull who is a 6-7 LHP who has already hit 92.  I could see him hitting 93-94 or better next year.

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 22, 2016, 01:28:54 pm

Our opinions aren't really that different - but I do see a wider range of possible outcomes.

I am not sure why you find it necessary to be so literal about the day 1.  If you want to be literal then day 1 is opening day and I think we can all agree a freshman is unlikely to start opening day. 

We're really saying the same thing though.  Likely or not, I'm not sure what you have against him being so good he forces himself into the rotation?  And yes, there is talent there and I thought he should have trusted Knight more too, but every single pitcher returns with a question mark next year after the way 2016 went. 

A 256 BAA for a pitcher is not SEC starter stuff, especially when that was earned in a lot of max effort bullpen stints or in midweek games. 

To put it into perspective, the only pitcher on the entire 2014 team with a BAA above 240 was Landon Simpson. 

Every good player improves every year and I think all of those guys you mentioned have talent... but the pitching staff is not stacked to the point where a freshman can't come in and start if he is as good as we all want/need those freshmen pitchers to be.

Kevin

wonder how McKinney is doing at the academy he is spending time with this summer
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 22, 2016, 10:28:10 pm
Our opinions aren't really that different - but I do see a wider range of possible outcomes.

I am not sure why you find it necessary to be so literal about the day 1.  If you want to be literal then day 1 is opening day and I think we can all agree a freshman is unlikely to start opening day. 

We're really saying the same thing though.  Likely or not, I'm not sure what you have against him being so good he forces himself into the rotation?  And yes, there is talent there and I thought he should have trusted Knight more too, but every single pitcher returns with a question mark next year after the way 2016 went. 

A 256 BAA for a pitcher is not SEC starter stuff, especially when that was earned in a lot of max effort bullpen stints or in midweek games. 

To put it into perspective, the only pitcher on the entire 2014 team with a BAA above 240 was Landon Simpson. 

Every good player improves every year and I think all of those guys you mentioned have talent... but the pitching staff is not stacked to the point where a freshman can't come in and start if he is as good as we all want/need those freshmen pitchers to be.
I don't have anything against him, I think he will be good. I just think the others will improve much more than you expect.

As for Campbell having a .256 opponents' BA, he was a freshman. He threw against teams like Florida, LSU, MSU, etc who were crushing the ball this year. .256 next year wouldn't be that great, but those stats are from this year as a freshman so I expect them to improve.

FYI, in 2013 Barrett Astin had a 1.79 ERA with opponents hitting .250 against him. Not that much different, and he had 14 starts in 2013.

Campbell had a better season last year than Chris Oliver and Randall Fant early in their careers as starters. He had a better ob% than a sophomore James Teague and junior Trey Killian on our CWS team last year. Also better than Jackson Lowry, although he only started a few games. If Heiss comes in and starts immediately, great. I think that will mean he is a dang good player right now, because I think Loeske, Campbell, McKinney, Knight, and Taco will all be pretty good options next year.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 23, 2016, 08:10:55 am
I don't have anything against him, I think he will be good. I just think the others will improve much more than you expect.

Not really.  The issue is that I'm acknowledging a wider range of possible outcomes than you. 

For example, I think Teague had better raw stuff than Loeske and probably Knight and  I would have expected him to improve much more than he did.  He did improve but never to be the SEC starter that everyone had hoped when he was a freshman. 

Also, even if Campbell and Knight are as good we all want... if Heiss is going to come in and be the next Alex Lange or Alex Faedo - I don't think anyone will complain. 

jackflash

Does anyone know much about the two pitchers we waiting on who got drafted?

PigWig

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 22, 2016, 06:26:31 pm
He might.

Would be nice to see him turn into the next Colby Suggs which I think is his potential.  Be an AA closer who throws 97-98 with a nice breaking ball.

I think he is probably a set up guy next year for Taco who closes if all goes to DVH's plan.  With hiring Johnson as the pitching coach, I think it is possible for Taco to sit 95+ in short stints with his natural life and then have Heiss in the 8th throwing 93-97 with some good life on his fastball as well.

And hopefully that is after the three guys I have down as starting (McKinney, Campbell, and Knight) throwing in the low to mid 90s as well.  After struggling to find many pitchers who could throw it by hitters last year, we could have a lot of them in 2017.

On another note, it will be interesting to see what Johnson does with Lucas Krull who is a 6-7 LHP who has already hit 92.  I could see him hitting 93-94 or better next year.
Loseke is tearing it up in summer ball too.  I think Knight and Campbell both fit more of the prototype for SPs (taller kids, good fastballs, several pitch repertoires), but Loseke was as good or better for us this year.  If McKinney can't bounce back, I could see the sophomore trio get the nod.

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 23, 2016, 08:40:14 am
Not really.  The issue is that I'm acknowledging a wider range of possible outcomes than you. 

For example, I think Teague had better raw stuff than Loeske and probably Knight and  I would have expected him to improve much more than he did.  He did improve but never to be the SEC starter that everyone had hoped when he was a freshman. 

Also, even if Campbell and Knight are as good we all want... if Heiss is going to come in and be the next Alex Lange or Alex Faedo - I don't think anyone will complain. 
I acknowledged them, I just don't see them happening. We can agree to disagree. I do find it ironic we are having this discussion now considering you quoted me before this previous season saying there was no chance Teague would ever be in the starting rotation at any point this last season. I guess you didn't see a number of things happening this previous season like I don't for the upcoming season. I really hope I am wrong and you are right, because like I said the only way I see your scenario happening is if Heiss is really good from day one. Lange and Faedo good, like you suggested. I think we could all get behind that.

ThisTeetsTaken

Is there a breakdown somewhere of which recruits will definitely make it to campus this Fall?  If so, how about a roster for 2017???
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 23, 2016, 08:10:55 am

As for Campbell having a .256 opponents' BA, he was a freshman. He threw against teams like Florida, LSU, MSU, etc who were crushing the ball this year. .256 next year wouldn't be that great, but those stats are from this year as a freshman so I expect them to improve.

FYI, in 2013 Barrett Astin had a 1.79 ERA with opponents hitting .250 against him. Not that much different, and he had 14 starts in 2013.

Campbell had a better season last year than Chris Oliver and Randall Fant early in their careers as starters. He had a better ob% than a sophomore James Teague and junior Trey Killian on our CWS team last year. Also better than Jackson Lowry, although he only started a few games. If Heiss comes in and starts immediately, great. I think that will mean he is a dang good player right now, because I think Loeske, Campbell, McKinney, Knight, and Taco will all be pretty good options next year.
Campbell is going to have to do a better job keeping the ball in the park next year.  He gave up 4 HR in 31.2 IP which isn't a very good rate for college ball especially at a park like Baum.  If he cuts his HR rate in half next year which I think is doable, we are looking at a guy who will probably have a sub 3 ERA even if he doesn't tremendously improve in other areas.

Campbell has the frame to be able to comfortably sit mid 90s as a starter which is where I hope Johnson gets him too next year.  That could make him a very high round pick out of school in 2018.

I keep forgetting about Loseke, but he isn't the prototype looking pitcher in terms of height like McKinney, Knight, Campbell, and Taco are.  Even though he only sits about 90-91, it plays up due to the movement and his quick arm.  It makes it look faster than it really is.  If he could throw 92-94 which is just some velo gain, he will be a big time arm.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jackflash on June 23, 2016, 08:44:10 am
Haven't heard either way, but my feeling is both will be on campus in the fall.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 23, 2016, 12:48:54 pm
Is there a breakdown somewhere of which recruits will definitely make it to campus this Fall?  If so, how about a roster for 2017???
Well, we truly won't know who will be on campus until fall ball starts, but after July 15, we can do a breakdown of who all we expect after we know who is truly signing and who isn't.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 23, 2016, 10:36:22 am
I do find it ironic we are having this discussion now considering you quoted me before this previous season saying there was no chance Teague would ever be in the starting rotation at any point this last season. I guess you didn't see a number of things happening this previous season like I don't for the upcoming season.

It would only be ironic if I was claiming to be all knowing or 100% right all the time. 

And no, I didn't see Teague starting this year unless things went more wrong than I expected.  Clearly DVH and I were wrong and this was a disappointing year unlike any of the previous 13ish. 

dotnet

This is the first time in forever that Arkansas has had this much up in the air from the pitching side heading into a season.

There are a lot of options and some of them could be exceptional, but even if they didn't pan out there have always been pitchers that everyone thought were rock solid returning. 

Taco is the closest to a sure thing and he had a 5.75 ERA last year.  I know there are reasons for down years and reasons for optimism... but this is still uncharted territory. 

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 23, 2016, 06:25:02 pm
Campbell is going to have to do a better job keeping the ball in the park next year.  He gave up 4 HR in 31.2 IP which isn't a very good rate for college ball especially at a park like Baum.  If he cuts his HR rate in half next year which I think is doable, we are looking at a guy who will probably have a sub 3 ERA even if he doesn't tremendously improve in other areas.

Campbell has the frame to be able to comfortably sit mid 90s as a starter which is where I hope Johnson gets him too next year.  That could make him a very high round pick out of school in 2018.

I keep forgetting about Loseke, but he isn't the prototype looking pitcher in terms of height like McKinney, Knight, Campbell, and Taco are.  Even though he only sits about 90-91, it plays up due to the movement and his quick arm.  It makes it look faster than it really is.  If he could throw 92-94 which is just some velo gain, he will be a big time arm.
To be fair, two of the HRs he allowed came in his 2nd start of his career against Grambling State. He had only thrown 3 college innings to that point, and his previous start was against Mississippi Valley State, and he only threw 2 innings. The last 18-20 innings of his season he allowed 2 HRs.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 23, 2016, 09:32:16 pm
To be fair, two of the HRs he allowed came in his 2nd start of his career against Grambling State. He had only thrown 3 college innings to that point, and his previous start was against Mississippi Valley State, and he only threw 2 innings. The last 18-20 innings of his season he allowed 2 HRs.
Yeah, I remember him giving up those 2 HRs to Grambling, but it is still a valid point that he will need to do a better job of keeping the ball in the yard.  I think he does because he showed improvement as the season went on, but it is something to watch especially this summer since the ball doesn't travel as well out in Cali.

Kevin

The thing I like about Campbell he seemed to progress during the year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jackflash

I am interest in what Johnson can do for McKinney?

jry04

June 24, 2016, 09:26:13 am #30 Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:40:16 am by jry04
Quote from: ucahogfan on June 23, 2016, 09:50:01 pm
Yeah, I remember him giving up those 2 HRs to Grambling, but it is still a valid point that he will need to do a better job of keeping the ball in the yard.  I think he does because he showed improvement as the season went on, but it is something to watch especially this summer since the ball doesn't travel as well out in Cali.
Agree, but I may be a little too optimistic. I really expect big things from Knight and Campbell. We left Knight in a little too long a few times, but for the most part they both had some solid outings in SEC play. Campbell has been great this summer, so far.

rightdp

Quote from: jackflash on June 23, 2016, 08:44:10 am

This may be old but this guys seems to think that Trevor Stephan (18th round) will make it to campus.

"I think he's going to go ahead and honor that commitment and go to Arkansas," Dillard said.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands/sports/article/Mustang-alums-get-Major-League-call-8131555.php

ucahogfan

Quote from: rightdp on June 24, 2016, 08:47:58 pm
This may be old but this guys seems to think that Trevor Stephan (18th round) will make it to campus.

"I think he's going to go ahead and honor that commitment and go to Arkansas," Dillard said.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands/sports/article/Mustang-alums-get-Major-League-call-8131555.php
I hadn't seen it yet.  Glad that he is planning on coming to campus.  He could be a weapon out of the pen for us next year like Jacob Stone was.  I'm not really sure of the stuff, but the stats are nice.