Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Assistant Coach Possibilities

Started by bulldog04, May 23, 2016, 06:55:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 13, 2016, 08:01:03 pm
Uca, I kinda thought this was gonna happen. Knew it didn't excite you then and doesn't sound like it does anymore now
I'll be happy if we hire Johnson. His track record especially at DBU is impressive.  Just don't want to lose Vitello as well.

Scott7703

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 13, 2016, 08:13:42 pm
I'll be happy if we hire Johnson. His track record especially at DBU is impressive.  Just don't want to lose Vitello as well.

Right. Johnson has done some good work. My only question with Johnson is his recruiting.

We need to do whatever it takes to keep Vitello. Hitting and recruiting have both improved under him.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 13, 2016, 08:43:25 pm
Right. Johnson has done some good work. My only question with Johnson is his recruiting.

We need to do whatever it takes to keep Vitello. Hitting and recruiting have both improved under him.
As long as we have Vitello, the pitching coach doesn't have to be an ace recruiter. He just needs to be a great teacher.  Vitello will get the studs to campus.

Maddhog

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 13, 2016, 09:36:04 pm
As long as we have Vitello, the pitching coach doesn't have to be an ace recruiter. He just needs to be a great teacher.  Vitello will get the studs to campus.

Is the mizzou job officially open now?   If so, and if everything we hear is true about mutual interest, what shot would we have to keep him?   I'm sure there are ways to sweeten the pot but no one has suggested a coach-in-waiting thing.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

ucahogfan

Quote from: Maddhog on June 13, 2016, 09:50:56 pm
Is the mizzou job officially open now?   If so, and if everything we hear is true about mutual interest, what shot would we have to keep him?   I'm sure there are ways to sweeten the pot but no one has suggested a coach-in-waiting thing.
Yeah, it was announced this weekend. I'm not sure if we could keep Vitello if he was offered the Mizzou job.  It is his alma mater and a SEC job.  Those jobs don't come open every day.  From what I've heard, Vitello is enjoying working in Fayetteville, and this class getting to campus in the fall is really his first class so he might want to stick around and see the fruit of his labor on the trail.  Remember, the majority of the TCU team was recruited by him.

Maddhog

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 13, 2016, 10:09:22 pm
Yeah, it was announced this weekend. I'm not sure if we could keep Vitello if he was offered the Mizzou job.  It is his alma mater and a SEC job.  Those jobs don't come open every day.  From what I've heard, Vitello is enjoying working in Fayetteville, and this class getting to campus in the fall is really his first class so he might want to stick around and see the fruit of his labor on the trail.  Remember, the majority of the TCU team was recruited by him.

He's been a real asset at Arkansas and I would love to keep a while longer.  Can't blame him if he is ready to lead his own program.  Mizzou could make him or break him. 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

rhog1

Quote from: Maddhog on June 13, 2016, 10:29:21 pm
He's been a real asset at Arkansas and I would love to keep a while longer.  Can't blame him if he is ready to lead his own program.  Mizzou could make him or break him. 
That is probably the major problem. Mizzou athletics as a whole is not a great environment to step into right now. Really hope the time is not right for Vitello to go there and we can keep him for a few more seasons.

factchecker

June 15, 2016, 11:46:10 am #57 Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:13:57 pm by factchecker
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jry04

Multiple reports coming out that he will be coming here. Huge hire.

HoopS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jacobp

I'd say it's happening. He's deleted his @MSUCommandVelo Twitter account.

I'm excited about the innovation he can bring to our training regimen and pitching staff as a whole

TebowHater

Hopefully this was all that Benninghoff was waiting on/looking for. Same for Taco

bulldog04

Is this the biggest assistant coach hire in the history of razorback sports?

dotnet

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 15, 2016, 02:33:11 pm

Umm... They named the football award for assistant coaching after this school (essentially) and Broyles. I'm pumped about the hire but wow...

jry04

That is a little much. Big hire for sure, but I would say football has had a number of assistants who were bigger hires.

woodrow hog call

I'm pretty sure our new O line coach, will be the biggest assistant hire for a while, he's probably got Wes by 70 to 80 lbs. Have you seen the guy?

He is a big ol boy.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

HoopS

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 15, 2016, 03:58:52 pm
I'm pretty sure our new O line coach, will be the biggest assistant hire for a while, he's probably got Wes by 70 to 80 lbs. Have you seen the guy?

He is a big ol boy.
I would wager he's got him by more than that.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: HoopS on June 15, 2016, 04:17:30 pm
I would wager he's got him by more than that.

You are probably right, I started to put it into triple digits, but I didn't want to sound ugly.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

HoopS

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 15, 2016, 04:32:53 pm
You are probably right, I started to put it into triple digits, but I didn't want to sound ugly.
looking at in from a different angle. Wes is not a huge dude at all. But he always made up for it by being smart and technically sound. He's a really good baseball mind. Thrilled we got him!

Inhogswetrust

Gene Keady was a dang good hire for Eddie in basketball. Also as someone else touched on it isn't called the Broyle's award for nothing. That being said this one is right up there at the top.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bulldog04

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2016, 02:56:25 pm
That is a little much. Big hire for sure, but I would say football has had a number of assistants who were bigger hires.
But did any come from elite teams that are conference rivals?  I can't think of any but I'm pretty young (30).

dotnet

Wasn't Gus at a Fayetteville rival?

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 15, 2016, 07:57:44 pm
But did any come from elite teams that are conference rivals?  I can't think of any but I'm pretty young (30).
Todd Butler?

This is really a par for the course hire by DVH. He only hires big time assistants.  This will be his third pitching coach in his career as a D-1 HC.  The other two are Rob Childress and Dave Jorn.

dotnet

And i think those are two of the best pitching coaches in the last ten years.

Rob Childress is a stud when it comes to pitchers - and you see what happened (as close as you can come to back to back cws appearances without doing it) when he hired will bolt to go with him. (When he went to the cws before, he had two major league pitchers in Michael wacha and Ross stripplig, and Matt deggs ran the offense)

So yeah... Dvh seems to know what he's doing with this pc thing.