Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Assistant Coach Possibilities

Started by bulldog04, May 23, 2016, 06:55:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog04

I will start with Jeremy Talbot
http://www.ragincajuns.com/coaches.aspx?rc=725

He coached under DVH at Nebraska and played here. 

ucahogfan

Talbot is a hitting coach who has never coached pitching based on his bio.  Unless DVH is planning on moving Vitello over to pitching coach, I doubt Talbot even comes on the radar.

Plus, the Arkansas pitching coach job is probably one of the top 2-3 in the country as DVH provides a lot of autonomy IMO to the pitching coach and then having Baum which is a pitcher's park and plays very big.

ucahogfan

Here would be my top three candidates:

Tony Vitello - Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Arkansas - Vitello spent his coaching career at Mizzou as the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator and coached three first round picks in Max Scherzer, Aaron Crow, and Kyle Gibson.  I could see DVH potentially promote him to Associate HC and move him over to the pitching coach role, but we would have to bring in another elite recruiter as it might cause Vitello to step back from recruiting some.  Although if Jamieson retires at Mizzou, we will probably have to replace him as well.

Karl Kuhn - Assistant Coach at Virginia - He has been at Virginia since O'Connor took over as HC in 2004, but he spent 1997-2004 as the Associate HC and recruiting coordinator at UALR so he has experience recruiting in this area of the country.  He is generally regarded as one of the top pitching coaches in the game and is also a very good recruiter.  I've also heard the rumor that Kuhn's wife is from Arkansas so she might want to get closer to family.

Wes Johnson - Assistant Coach at Mississippi State - Johnson grew up in Arkansas and has climbed through the ranks quickly as he was a HC at Abundant Life in Sherwood as recently as 2007.  He spent 2012 - 2015 as the pitching coach at DBU and saw 5 pitchers drafted in the top 12 rounds last year.  He also helped develop Dakota Hudson from raw talent to potential SEC Pitcher of the Year.  While it might be tough for him to leave Mississippi State after one year, I think Arkansas might be the job to get him to do so and he is definitely a rising star in this game.

All three of these coaches fit the mold that DVH has followed with his last two assistant coach hires in Vitello and Butler.  All three come from programs in big time conferences and they have experience recruiting this area of the country.

HoopS

Wes is a great dude too. He's my #1.

JHicks3636

I wonder if DVH can outdo Bielema for surprise coach hire?

Knot2brite

Kuhn's wife is from magnolia...I just don't see him leaving UVA and the job description he has there. Yes he is a assistant coach but he has a huge amount of control of the pitching. As in almost complete. He might come for the raise that would be associated and the family situation...but he is extremely loyal and for his shot at UVA and I just don't see him coming.

Johnson still has a great relationship with several big name Arkansas high school coaches and this is his home state. I think he will make a head coach ( small school first I am sure) one of these days and he probably would only come if he was made associate head coach. This could cause problems with Vitello....
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

billmontgomery10

I think it will be Tony V. He has been doing a lot of the recruiting of pitchers for the 2017-2018 class, not Jorn. I think Jorn's retirement has been known for some time, just not announced until the season ended. I have heard that Vitello was the pitching coach in waiting since he arrived at the U of A. I guess we'll see. If true, the possible new assistant coach being a hitting coach like the guy from La Tech would make sense...

billmontgomery10

I meant Louisiana Rajun Cajuns, not La Tech.

bulldog04

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on May 24, 2016, 12:50:56 am
I think it will be Tony V. He has been doing a lot of the recruiting of pitchers for the 2017-2018 class, not Jorn. I think Jorn's retirement has been known for some time, just not announced until the season ended. I have heard that Vitello was the pitching coach in waiting since he arrived at the U of A. I guess we'll see. If true, the possible new assistant coach being a hitting coach like the guy from La Tech would make sense...
This is what I meant in my earlier post.  Move Vitelo to pitching coach and hire Talbot as hitting coach.  I would love to get Wes but it will be hard to do.

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on May 24, 2016, 06:09:03 am
This is what I meant in my earlier post.  Move Vitelo to pitching coach and hire Talbot as hitting coach.  I would love to get Wes but it will be hard to do.
If we do shift Vitello over to pitching coach, here would be a couple of options in the SEC:

Brad Bohannon - Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Auburn - http://www.auburntigersbaseballcamp.com/coaching-staff.cfm

Will Bolt - Assistant Coach at Texas A&M - http://12thman.com/mobile/staff.aspx?staff=433

Kevin

After going to the regional at uva a couple of years ago, and watching how they go about their business in pre game, I would try to get that guy.  Very disciplined and no bs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DiamondHogFan

I wonder how possible hires feel about the season we had?  An opportunity for them to come in and get immediate improvement, or a struggling pitching staff that needs a lot of work.

I think it is a good position to be in honestly.  Everyone knows we have a solid program so the year we had this year won't (shouldn't) happen again for several years.  Could be an appealing position for a coach to come in and "show what he can do" to turn things around next year.  I have full trust in DVH and his connections to be able to get a great coach/recruiter. 

Hate to see Jorn go, but exciting times are ahead hog fans.  We needed a shake up after this year and Jorn is ready to call it quits so I think it will work out best for everyone involved.

Ted77

Lance Franks.  Played as a Hog in 96 and 97.  5 years in Cardinals Org including a couple years with the Travelers.  Played/Coached 3 years or so in Independent minors.  Is coaching prep ball at a high level in California currently.  He's 6th on the all time saves list for the Hogs.  Professionally pitched 698 innings with 531 SOs and a career 3.74 era.  Great player, better coach.  Bleeds Cardinal and White.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 23, 2016, 07:39:03 pm
Here would be my top three candidates:

Tony Vitello - Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Arkansas - Vitello spent his coaching career at Mizzou as the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator and coached three first round picks in Max Scherzer, Aaron Crow, and Kyle Gibson.  I could see DVH potentially promote him to Associate HC and move him over to the pitching coach role, but we would have to bring in another elite recruiter as it might cause Vitello to step back from recruiting some.  Although if Jamieson retires at Mizzou, we will probably have to replace him as well.

Karl Kuhn - Assistant Coach at Virginia - He has been at Virginia since O'Connor took over as HC in 2004, but he spent 1997-2004 as the Associate HC and recruiting coordinator at UALR so he has experience recruiting in this area of the country.  He is generally regarded as one of the top pitching coaches in the game and is also a very good recruiter.  I've also heard the rumor that Kuhn's wife is from Arkansas so she might want to get closer to family.

Wes Johnson - Assistant Coach at Mississippi State - Johnson grew up in Arkansas and has climbed through the ranks quickly as he was a HC at Abundant Life in Sherwood as recently as 2007.  He spent 2012 - 2015 as the pitching coach at DBU and saw 5 pitchers drafted in the top 12 rounds last year.  He also helped develop Dakota Hudson from raw talent to potential SEC Pitcher of the Year.  While it might be tough for him to leave Mississippi State after one year, I think Arkansas might be the job to get him to do so and he is definitely a rising star in this game.

All three of these coaches fit the mold that DVH has followed with his last two assistant coach hires in Vitello and Butler.  All three come from programs in big time conferences and they have experience recruiting this area of the country.

https://twitter.com/BobHoltADG/status/735154618749964290

Scott7703

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 12:17:49 pm
https://twitter.com/BobHoltADG/status/735154618749964290

Well the thought of replacing two assistant coaches isn't one I was hoping to have in the same off season.

ricepig

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 24, 2016, 12:42:22 pm

Well the thought of replacing two assistant coaches isn't one I was hoping to have in the same off season.

Yep, I guess that could be considered "massive" changes, lol.

Maddhog

As long as it stops there we will be fine.   Might actually have an opportunity to revitalize the program.    We will see, I guess. 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

ricepig

Quote from: Maddhog on May 24, 2016, 12:59:15 pm
As long as it stops there we will be fine.   Might actually have an opportunity to revitalize the program.    We will see, I guess. 

So, you think losing both Jorn and Vitello would revitalize the program?? I'd think it would be a major setback, maybe even torpedo it for years, depending on the commits.

Maddhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 01:02:06 pm
So, you think losing both Jorn and Vitello would revitalize the program?? I'd think it would be a major setback, maybe even torpedo it for years, depending on the commits.

You could certainly be correct, I'm trying to be positive.    There are a couple of talented, high energy guys that I think would be excellent in our program.  Right now I am concerned about another shoe dropping.   

#WPS

TikiHog

just think if Texas was to step in and give DVH a deal he couldnt turn down....whole new coaching staff

Maddhog

Quote from: TikiHog on May 24, 2016, 01:11:21 pm
just think if Texas was to step in and give DVH a deal he couldnt turn down....whole new coaching staff

I would be sick. 

ricepig

First, I suspect we'd match pretty much any deal, second, I don't see him going to Texass, and last, if he was to accept this job, he obviously was ready to leave.

PintailKiller

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 23, 2016, 09:14:56 pm
Kuhn's wife is from magnolia...I just don't see him leaving UVA and the job description he has there. Yes he is a assistant coach but he has a huge amount of control of the pitching. As in almost complete. He might come for the raise that would be associated and the family situation...but he is extremely loyal and for his shot at UVA and I just don't see him coming.

Johnson still has a great relationship with several big name Arkansas high school coaches and this is his home state. I think he will make a head coach ( small school first I am sure) one of these days and he probably would only come if he was made associate head coach. This could cause problems with Vitello....

I'm down with either of these 2.  Getting Wes back to Arkansas might not be as hard as you would think.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

dotnet

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 01:15:36 pm
First, I suspect we'd match pretty much any deal, second, I don't see him going to Texass, and last, if he was to accept this job, he obviously was ready to leave.

I agree. I have no knowledge but I am guessing that Texas will go after Vandy and UVAs coach first.  They'll want to replace Augie with someone who has won a CWS. 

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 24, 2016, 06:53:00 am
If we do shift Vitello over to pitching coach, here would be a couple of options in the SEC:

Brad Bohannon - Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Auburn - http://www.auburntigersbaseballcamp.com/coaching-staff.cfm

Will Bolt - Assistant Coach at Texas A&M - http://12thman.com/mobile/staff.aspx?staff=433

I don't think Bolt is an option.  I don't see him leaving a&m at this point.  He is with a college coach of his (with DVH), and he has coached under him for four years now.  He may be coaching the best team in college baseball.  I don't see him leaving there to go to a big Arkansas ball park when he may only be a year or two away from a HC position himself. 

Would love to have him though...

Knot2brite

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 01:15:36 pm
It wouldn't have anything to do with money...the opportunity to win the CWS quickly might be the determining factor

ricepig

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 24, 2016, 06:07:33 pm
It wouldn't have anything to do with money...the opportunity to win the CWS quickly might be the determining factor

Last time I looked, we've been there since they have. I realize they have several titles, but times have changed immensely in college baseball since then.

Scott7703

There is zero chance DVH goes to Texas. ZERO

Knot2brite

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 06:35:08 pm
Last time I looked, we've been there since they have. I realize they have several titles, but times have changed immensely in college baseball since then.
I don't disagree...but looking at the situation from a outside perspective...it is easier to recruit major players to Texas than to Fayetteville ....granted we get several big name players, we have outstanding facilities and great fans.....we play in the toughest baseball conference in college baseball. All those things are pluses in our book but it hasn't brought us the complete team to win it. I fully believe that we will win the CWS...but who knows when.....things like this can wear on a coach when he starts realizing that time is slipping away...

Maddhog

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 24, 2016, 06:41:29 pm
There is zero chance DVH goes to Texas. ZERO

I hope you're right, Scott.  I have never met DVH so I only know as much about him as the average fan does.   I have heard umpteen PCs, interviews, articles, etc and I've heard him say more than once that he will not coach at another college.  OTOH I have also heard for a few years that Texas will come hard once their dinosaur retires.    Just comparing the two programs, I see Arkansas having better facilities, fan base and conference.  UT has more $$$ and a decided recruiting advantage.  I think he would win big there.    One other thing I've heard him say is that he wants to win a championship for the Arkansas fans.   I don't think he would ever feel that way about Horn fans.   I'm leaning toward that being the deciding factor.   

Ebolin

There is a list out on a web site I can't link.
Arkansas News Bureau's Hogs beat writer
Formerly of ESPN and AP
A Native, Cornell kid and lover of hockey

HoopS

I see Vitello listed on this thread but I'm not sure if you heard it but DVH shot that down.

Kevin

Chris curry.  Is the pitching coach at Arkansas a better job than head coach at ualr?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Kevin on May 28, 2016, 07:40:40 pm
Chris curry.  Is the pitching coach at Arkansas a better job than head coach at ualr?

I highly doubt it. DVH has known this day was coming for a couple of years.  I suspect he already knows who he is hiring, but that coach is still coaching.  He is just waiting to announce it.  If this is not the case, we should be upset with DVH.

ucahogfan

Quote from: HoopS on May 28, 2016, 12:25:03 pm
I see Vitello listed on this thread but I'm not sure if you heard it but DVH shot that down.
We have heard it.  He was listed before DVH came out and said he wasn't a candidate for the job.

Quote from: Kevin on May 28, 2016, 07:40:40 pm
Doesn't fit DVH's mold that he talked about in his PC where the hire will have top tier D-1 experience as a pitching coach or a pitching coach in pro ball.

westside_player

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 29, 2016, 04:49:05 pm
We have heard it.  He was listed before DVH came out and said he wasn't a candidate for the job.
Doesn't fit DVH's mold that he talked about in his PC where the hire will have top tier D-1 experience as a pitching coach or a pitching coach in pro ball.

he did mention a possible low level head coach, that is why I brought him up

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on May 30, 2016, 11:10:08 am
he did mention a possible low level head coach, that is why I brought him up
I guess I'm just not seeing it.  I know he was a C in college, but has he been a pitching coach before?  I can see DVH targeting a low level head coach, but someone who has been a pitching coach at the highest level.

westside_player

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: westside_player on May 30, 2016, 06:13:30 pm
Buddy York.

All that with "Peanuts" on the uniform.  The South Georgia ****ing Peanuts.

Ironhawg

Did you see the looks on the faces of the kids in the background?

Maddhog

woodrow hog call

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

woodhog14

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 13, 2016, 04:13:25 pm
Probably our's too and he has shown intrest.

Awesome! I wonder what makes him want to possibly leave State program for Arkansas? Besides having to live in Starkville, that's the obvious answer. Ha!

PintailKiller

His family is still in Sherwood.  Fayetteville is much closer to them.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Scott7703

ucahogfan

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 13, 2016, 02:01:40 pm
https://twitter.com/kendallrogersd1/status/742428320122478592
This is referencing the fact that the other assistant coach Nick Mingione was named HC at Kentucky today to be Cohen's 2nd assistant named as a HC at a SEC school in less than a year.  Would be tough for Cohen to replace both assistants, but we are looking at that possibility as well.  Vitello has a ton of support among former players at Mizzou.

HoopS

Wes is a great guy, a baseball guy through and through, great pitching coach, hard worker and he is an Arkansas boy. In other words, a perfect fit. Known him a long time. We'd be lucky to have him.

Scott7703

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 13, 2016, 07:11:26 pm
This is referencing the fact that the other assistant coach Nick Mingione was named HC at Kentucky today to be Cohen's 2nd assistant named as a HC at a SEC school in less than a year.  Would be tough for Cohen to replace both assistants, but we are looking at that possibility as well.  Vitello has a ton of support among former players at Mizzou.

Uca, I kinda thought this was gonna happen. Knew it didn't excite you then and doesn't sound like it does anymore now