Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer teams

Started by Kevin, May 09, 2016, 09:21:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Any info on where the guys are assigned to play
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TikiHog

Loseke and Simms are playing for the Gastonia Grizzlies....

The Madison Mallards have signed a pair of local standouts, Ben Rortvedt of Verona and former Sun Prairie athlete Tony Butler, to play for the Northwoods League team this season.

Rortvedt, an all-state catcher at Verona High School, has signed to play college baseball at Arkansas in 2017. He is ranked as the top player in the state by Prep Baseball Report, and will be the first high school player ever to play for the Mallards.

jry04

Quote from: TikiHog on May 09, 2016, 11:06:07 am
Loseke and Simms are playing for the Gastonia Grizzlies....

The Madison Mallards have signed a pair of local standouts, Ben Rortvedt of Verona and former Sun Prairie athlete Tony Butler, to play for the Northwoods League team this season.

Rortvedt, an all-state catcher at Verona High School, has signed to play college baseball at Arkansas in 2017. He is ranked as the top player in the state by Prep Baseball Report, and will be the first high school player ever to play for the Mallards.
If he does in fact play for them, would that be a pretty good indication that he does not plan on going pro? I haven't kept up with what people think our chances are on a lot of our recruits, but I know Rortvedt is expected to be a big time player.

I was looking the other day, and we have quite a few players graded a 9.5 or 10 in our class on Perfect Game.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Wisco Pig

Quote from: jry04 on May 09, 2016, 11:25:12 am
If he does in fact play for them, would that be a pretty good indication that he does not plan on going pro? I haven't kept up with what people think our chances are on a lot of our recruits, but I know Rortvedt is expected to be a big time player.

If Rortvedt plays for the Mallards this summer, I'd say it's a very good sign that he's coming to Fayetteville.   The whole idea of the Northwoods League is to develop college players, and the league schedule is designed to accommodate the college semester system.

We'll find out soon enough.  The MLB draft is June 9-11, and the Mallards begin their season on May 31.  (Rortvedt, however, would miss the first few Mallards games unless he can work out arrangements for skipping his remaining school days and taking his finals for Verona Area High.)

TikiHog

no Hogs going to the Cap Cod League this summer

Scott7703

Quote from: TikiHog on May 12, 2016, 11:58:23 pm
no Hogs going to the Cap Cod League this summer

No bonfield? He was the only one I expected to go there.

jry04

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 13, 2016, 07:22:49 pm
No bonfield? He was the only one I expected to go there.
Good chance Bonfield is playing in the minors...

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: jry04 on May 13, 2016, 11:16:25 pm
Good chance Bonfield is playing in the minors...
Would love to see him come back and I think he could benefit from it. If he improves from his sophomore to junior year as much as he did from freshman to sophomore year, he may have a chance to be a top draft pick.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 09, 2016, 12:21:43 pm
If Rortvedt plays for the Mallards this summer, I'd say it's a very good sign that he's coming to Fayetteville.   The whole idea of the Northwoods League is to develop college players, and the league schedule is designed to accommodate the college semester system.

We'll find out soon enough.  The MLB draft is June 9-11, and the Mallards begin their season on May 31.  (Rortvedt, however, would miss the first few Mallards games unless he can work out arrangements for skipping his remaining school days and taking his finals for Verona Area High.)
Yeah, I think him signing to play summer ball in a collegiate league is a good sign for the Hogs; however, we will probably have a great idea on June 10 whether he will be a Hog or not.

With the new draft rules, I feel good about any HS recruit drafted after round 10 getting to the Hill.

jry04

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on May 14, 2016, 01:38:13 am
Would love to see him come back and I think he could benefit from it. If he improves from his sophomore to junior year as much as he did from freshman to sophomore year, he may have a chance to be a top draft pick.
Agreed. I think he could have a huge payday if he came back.

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 14, 2016, 11:22:06 am
Yeah, I think him signing to play summer ball in a collegiate league is a good sign for the Hogs; however, we will probably have a great idea on June 10 whether he will be a Hog or not.

With the new draft rules, I feel good about any HS recruit drafted after round 10 getting to the Hill.
Agreed. We have 3-4 guys who are expected to go in the top 10 rounds, though unfortunately. Hopefully they are set on coming to school, though.

Stobbe and Rortvedt are both probably top 5 round picks, with Dominic Fletcher likely going high, too. I pray we get all 3 to campus. All would have an instant impact on our team. Stobbe is a big need with us losing Bernal and Nomura.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on May 14, 2016, 12:06:46 pm
Agreed. I think he could have a huge payday if he came back.
Same here.  If he goes back to back years hitting .330 plus in SEC play with 8-10 HRs (or maybe 12-15 next year), he is setting himself up to be a top 2 round pick which would mean a 7 figure bonus.

Quote from: jry04 on May 14, 2016, 12:06:46 pm
Agreed. We have 3-4 guys who are expected to go in the top 10 rounds, though unfortunately. Hopefully they are set on coming to school, though.

Stobbe and Rortvedt are both probably top 5 round picks, with Dominic Fletcher likely going high, too. I pray we get all 3 to campus. All would have an instant impact on our team. Stobbe is a big need with us losing Bernal and Nomura.
Stobbe would be far and away the most talented SS we have ever gotten to campus under DVH.  He could step in and make a big impact from Day 1.  However, we won't see a huge problem even since we are losing Bernal if Stobbe does indeed sign.  We have signed Jaxon Williams who is a big time SS prospect himself as well as Jared Gates (probably more of a 2B) who is hitting something like .450 in JUCO play right now.

jry04

I do not know anything about Gates. That is great news, though. I really want Stobbe for his bat.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on May 14, 2016, 01:05:06 pm
I do not know anything about Gates. That is great news, though. I really want Stobbe for his bat.
Me too.  Stobbe would probably step in and hit in the middle of our lineup next year should he make it to campus.

Gates team is hitting like .400 as a team this year so you have to wonder the type of talent he is facing or if the offense is just that good.  I don't doubt he could step in right away, but would he hit .450 in other JUCO leagues?

ucahogfan

So I did some digging today about where our players are playing today and will update later, but I found something extremely interesting.

The Pacific Union Capitalists are a team of high school seniors who play against teams in the California Collegiate Summer League.  Familiar names to have played for that team include Nathan Rodriguez (2014 C signee who RS last year and then transferred out), Blaine Knight, and Ty Harris.  This year has seen Dominic Fletcher, Cole Stobbe, and Lucas Krull sign to play for them.  It is great experience for these guys and hopefully good indication that all of them are making it to campus.

So it is fantastic to see our 3 PG All-Americans all sign to play in a collegiate summer league.  They will all get 100+ ABs and essentially been RS Freshmen when they make it to campus.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TikiHog

Luke Bonfield is playing for the WareHam team in the Cape Cod

Scott7703

Quote from: TikiHog on May 31, 2016, 12:11:41 pm

Good for Luke. I expect .350 15-20 60 line from Luke next season.

ucahogfan

PUF Capitalists ‏@pufcaps  · Jul 3 

Dom Fletcher (Arkansas) had 3 hits, 2 RBI, and a run. Fletch has played a great CF; now up to .323 avg., .400 obp., 7 xtra base hits, 13 RBI

ucahogfan

Isaiah Campbell is having a fantastic summer out in California.  He is probably in-line to be a starter in the All-Star Game in the league out there.  He is 4-1 with a 1.08 ERA which leads the league and his only loss is to Team USA and he only allowed 1 ER in 5.0 IP on 2 hits and 1 walk.  Considering Team USA is full of top round picks, that is very promising to see.

dotnet

That is huge for the rotations...

ricepig

Quote from: TikiHog on May 31, 2016, 12:11:41 pm

Where did he end up playing, he doesn't show to be on their roster.

jackflash

is McKinney pitching anywhre