Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benintendi in the Minors...Majors Now

Started by JHicks3636, April 05, 2016, 10:42:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

hoglady

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/07/14/report-red-sox-acquire-drew-pomeranz-from-the-padres/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

Looks like the Red Sox have made the trade for a starter everyone was anticipating.

Update (6:34 PM EDT): Lin confirms that it's a one-for-one deal, Pomeranz for Espinoza.

Andrew still with the Red Sox.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Dr. Starcs

Does this move make sense for the padres??

yraciv

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 14, 2016, 07:55:21 pm
Does this move make sense for the padres??

Of course it does. Trading Pomeranz at peak value for a Top 20 prospect certainly makes sense when you're out of it.

Dr. Starcs

Padres gonna padre I guess.

If Pomeranz is in his last contract year I can see it. I don't know that information though.

JHicks3636

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 14, 2016, 08:26:28 pm
Padres gonna padre I guess.

If Pomeranz is in his last contract year I can see it. I don't know that information though.

Pomeranz is signed through 2018 so 2 full years after this one.

Dr. Starcs

July 14, 2016, 08:54:55 pm #156 Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:53:11 pm by Dr. Starcs
Well Boston got a steal IMO.
Thanks for the info.

This is what one guy on facebook commented and kind of reflects what i felt -
"The padres are so dumb, they trade an All-Star pitcher with a 2.4 era and only making 1.3m until 2018 for a 18 year old Low Single A pitcher with over 4.0 era and making 1.8 . In what world does this make any since for Padre fans? Espinoza is at least 3-4 years away if he EVER makes it and Boston gets an All-Star controllable for 2 years."

jesterzzn

It's a gamble for the Padres, but its not as bad as its being portrayed.  Pomeranz doesn't have elite stuff.  He's a good veteran pitcher that is having a career year, but would have never commanded top prospect trade value at the start of the season.

Padres bought low and sold high.  It was a good move on paper, and if Pomeranz goes back to being who he's been the majority of his career the Padre's look like geniuses, because Espinoza will be a quality pitcher in a couple years.

yraciv

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 14, 2016, 08:54:55 pm
Well Boston got a steal IMO.
Thanks for the info.

This is what one guy on facebook commented and kind of reflects what i felt -
"The padres are so dumb, they trade an All-Star pitcher with a 2.4 era and only making 1.3m until 2018 for a 18 year old Low Single A pitcher with over 4.0 era and making 1.8 . In what world does this make any since for Padre fans? Espinoza is at least 3-4 years away if he EVER makes it and Boston gets an All-Star controllable for 2 years."

Fangraphs has Pomeranz regressing  to a 3.7 ERA for the rest of the season, which makes sense.  He doesn't have exceptional stuff and has benefited from being in Petco and some luck this year.  Espinoza has incredible stuff and is 18, so sky is the limit.  Sure it's a gamble, but when you are out of it building up the farm system is sometime the answer. They aren't catching the Giants or Dodgers anytime soon anyways and I think they realize that.

JHicks3636

Benintendi in a little post break slump. He is 1-11 since returning from the Future's game. Average has dipped to .277. Hopefully he'll rebound soon.

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

89ALUM

Oooh, it's going to be wicked tough to play in front of the Green Mahnstah.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

bulldog04

The thing about Benni is he's hitting better against lefties than righties.  Being a left handed hitter that is awesome.

onebadrubi

Heard the last few days with all the trade rumors that multiple sources (of the people reporting this) have tried get Benintendi in a trade and Red Sox have had to tell every team calling he is not available.

bulldog04

Bregman got called up.  Was hoping Benni would beat him to it

onebadrubi

Quote from: bulldog04 on July 24, 2016, 05:39:13 pm
Bregman got called up.  Was hoping Benni would beat him to it

Astros have no where to put bregman, so will be interesting to see this play out. Maybe Corres to third?  But they aren't touching altuve. 

Red Sox have a pretty salty outfield, which is why I wa Sao shocked by my previous statement that he was not trade able.

ucahogfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 24, 2016, 08:55:21 pm
Astros have no where to put bregman, so will be interesting to see this play out. Maybe Corres to third?  But they aren't touching altuve. 

Red Sox have a pretty salty outfield, which is why I wa Sao shocked by my previous statement that he was not trade able.
Word is that Bregman will probably play LF once Gurriel is ready for action as the 3B.  Although, some people say that Bregman is a better defender at SS right now than Correa which isn't surprising given that Correa will probably out grow the SS position.

The Red Sox also have a need in LF to pair with Bradley and Betts.  It would also provide the Sox with an insurance option in case Bradley goes down so they can keep Betts in RF.

OnTheHillHogFan

Well they've got Benintendi playing LF now so I would bet it's only a matter of time until he gets called up.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

onebadrubi

Sox like Brock Holt out there in left and love his bat, but I think he is just a par outfielder and bat at best.  I would be willing to bet there is some contractual reasons with Benny as to maybe why they are possibly slow playing him.

Right now Correa has some great range and a good arm.  If he were to out grow the position, it would probably be to third.  Bregman would unseat Colby Rasmus in LF, isn't he the starting left fielder with Cargo in center and Springer in Right?  Maybe they are intending someone to be a trade piece coming soon. 

yraciv

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 25, 2016, 09:40:33 am
Sox like Brock Holt out there in left and love his bat, but I think he is just a par outfielder and bat at best.  I would be willing to bet there is some contractual reasons with Benny as to maybe why they are possibly slow playing him.

Right now Correa has some great range and a good arm.  If he were to out grow the position, it would probably be to third.  Bregman would unseat Colby Rasmus in LF, isn't he the starting left fielder with Cargo in center and Springer in Right?  Maybe they are intending someone to be a trade piece coming soon. 

I hardly see them slow playing him. I'd argue he is being fasttracked, and could be a September callup given the Red Sox are playoff bound.

onebadrubi

Well Bregman is playing tonight and playing 3rd, moving valbuena to first and sitting Marwin Gonzales.  For some reason Colby Rasmus isn't in the lineup for a few days in a row now.  Not sure why.  So maybe uca knows something I don't and maybe rasmus doesn't have a spot out there locked down as much as I thought. 

89ALUM

I think Marwin's been dinged up a bit, and now Valbuena will be out probably till Saturday with a slight injury.  The 'Stros are even calling up Tyler White, I imagine to play 1B till Luis heals up.  Rasmus had a good game on Wednesday with a dinger. 

Gurriel might not be ready till September.  Of course, Houston could be very active at the deadline since they seem to have a surplus of infielders and a need at Catcher and some bullpen arms.  I could see them moving Gonzales, Castro or even Rasmus if Rubi is right and Bregman is destined for LF.  I know they played him a bit at AAA in LF to get him some looks there.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

onebadrubi

Quote from: 89ALUM on July 28, 2016, 11:19:01 pm
I think Marwin's been dinged up a bit, and now Valbuena will be out probably till Saturday with a slight injury.  The 'Stros are even calling up Tyler White, I imagine to play 1B till Luis heals up.  Rasmus had a good game on Wednesday with a dinger. 

Gurriel might not be ready till September.  Of course, Houston could be very active at the deadline since they seem to have a surplus of infielders and a need at Catcher and some bullpen arms.  I could see them moving Gonzales, Castro or even Rasmus if Rubi is right and Bregman is destined for LF.  I know they played him a bit at AAA in LF to get him some looks there.

I wasn't the one saying he was going to left, think it was UCA. I was shocked at the time of the call up because you had Marwin playing good, valbuena hitting and fielding better than average and platoon in left(rasmus, tucker, gattis, and others). But now you drop Marwin and valbuena and bregman fits right in.  Not sure what is going on with rasmus and Gomez just has t produced. So if his contract is friendly they may be shopping him.

I personally like gattis catching so I'd spend my resources on pitching and if you could upgrade center field.

yraciv

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 28, 2016, 11:29:05 pm
I wasn't the one saying he was going to left, think it was UCA. I was shocked at the time of the call up because you had Marwin playing good, valbuena hitting and fielding better than average and platoon in left(rasmus, tucker, gattis, and others). But now you drop Marwin and valbuena and bregman fits right in.  Not sure what is going on with rasmus and Gomez just has t produced. So if his contract is friendly they may be shopping him.

I personally like gattis catching so I'd spend my resources on pitching and if you could upgrade center field.

I think at this point Rasmus is what he is, but that is a discussion for another forum. To get back on topic. Beni went 6/14 this week, and got his batting average back up to .285.

onebadrubi

AB is getting a lot of mention by mlb "insiders".  They are mentioning him as a key trade piece (guess they didn't get all get the same Memo from Boston that he's off limits, if he really is) or using a current OF to round out a trade and letting Beni come up.

Maybe one way or the other come Monday Beni will be on the receiving end of something good getting him to the show.

JHicks3636

July 31, 2016, 04:28:24 pm #175 Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:52:20 pm by JHicks3636
Benintendi with maybe his biggest day as a pro today. He goes 4-5 with 2 homers, 2 doubles, 5 rbis and scores 2 runs. Average now sits at .295. Amazing that he is tied for the team lead in homers and leads the team in rbis despite not being at AA until mid season.
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160731&content_id=192849494&fext=.jsp&vkey=recap&sid=t546

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160731&content_id=192860886&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 31, 2016, 04:28:24 pm
Benintendi with maybe his biggest day as a pro today. He goes 4-5 with 2 homers, 2 doubles, 5 rbis and scores 2 runs. Average now sits at .295. Amazing that he is tied for the team lead in homers and leads the team in rbis despite not being at AA until mid season.
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160731&content_id=192849494&fext=.jsp&vkey=recap&sid=t546

Wow - what a day!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ucahogfan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 31, 2016, 04:28:24 pm
He has a fantastic first full season of pro ball.  He is currently triple slashing .312/.378/.532 which is pretty good and probably close to what the Red Sox might expect out of him at the big league level.  He is now the #7 prospect in baseball according to MLB.com and has 52 XBHs (31 2B, 12 3B, 9 HR) with 76 RBIs in 372 ABs to go along with 16 SBs.  You would have to think he is in the race for Minor League Player of the Year along with Alex Bregman and Yoan Moncada.  What is probably the most ridiculous thing about him this year is the fact that he has only struck out 39 times in close to 400 PAs.  That means he isn't selling out for power and it is very natural.  He is going to be a great hitter in the Red Sox lineup to go along with Betts, Bogarts, Bradley, and Moncada for a long time.

JHicks3636

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

JHicks3636

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 01, 2016, 11:11:03 pm
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2016/08/red_sox_prospect_andrew_benintendi_to_join_team_in_seattle

Here we go!

I think Boston's failure to deal for anyone at the deadline put pressure on Dombrowski to make this move. Trying to show the fans he was right in retaining Benintendi rather than making a trade. Here's hoping he sticks with the big club.

onebadrubi

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 01, 2016, 11:21:26 pm
I think Boston's failure to deal for anyone at the deadline put pressure on Dombrowski to make this move. Trying to show the fans he was right in retaining Benintendi rather than making a trade. Here's hoping he sticks with the big club.

Yup.  Combine that with his press conference or whatever saying how over priced pitching was, it seemed like he was really trying sel someone on that during that conference. But benny is going to take brentz spot out there hopefully tomorrow night and show bregman how to do it.

Redbug

BoSox Mariners game on MLB channel Tues at 9pm central....wonder if Benny gets a look...

Dr. Starcs

Thread title might need to be changed now.

Congrats Benny

JHicks3636

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 02, 2016, 07:18:47 am
Thread title might need to be changed now.

Congrats Benny

I agree but the "modify" option isn't available to me on the OP. Maybe a moderator can change it from "minors" to "majors" or we can start a new thread for just the majors.

ricepig

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 02, 2016, 07:55:15 am
I agree but the "modify" option isn't available to me on the OP. Maybe a moderator can change it from "minors" to "majors" or we can start a new thread for just the majors.

Yeah, probably be up and down a bit, but this is a big promotion.

PintailKiller

Quote from: Redbug on August 02, 2016, 01:42:08 am
BoSox Mariners game on MLB channel Tues at 9pm central....wonder if Benny gets a look...

I saw something on Twitter that mentioned he'd probably not play tonight, but would start against the righty Wednesday.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

pigture perfect

Man, I'm excited about this. Proud of AB.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hoglady

Quote from: PintailKiller on August 02, 2016, 12:57:51 pm
I saw something on Twitter that mentioned he'd probably not play tonight, but would start against the righty Wednesday.

Yep - tonight's game is on MLB.
Tomorrow night's game is on NESN - which I believe is a station that U-verse carries.
Comcast used to carry this channel, but unable to find now.

JHicks3636

Benintendi's parents flew to the game from Cincinnati. I always thought this had to be an emotional time for a player's family as well.

BorderPatrol

Grounded out to second in his first MLB at bat.

bp

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 02, 2016, 10:52:14 pm
Grounded out to second in his first MLB at bat.

bp
he was a little juiced, too much adrenaline, tried to pull a pitch breaking over the outside part of the plate and hit a grounder to 2nd BASE...normally AB would have hit that in the gap in left-centerfield...he'll clear his head and come around...give him a few days
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hoglady

Heck - can't imagine what cloud he must be on right now.
It's been a whirlwind 2 days for him.

onebadrubi

AB came up bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and was the winning run, guy on first.  Got rung up on a 99-100mph fastball that was way outside.

hoglady

Tough spot right there for AB.
But yet again the Red Sox pitching cost them another game, questionable move by the manager in the 8th, too.

dotnet

I put it at less than a 1% chance he would be in the majors this year.  I can't believe he is up this quickly.  I know that a few guys recently have done it, but this is a pretty rare thing even for the best hitters. 

Dansby Swanson is struggling in AA right now, and is doing well for a top hitter drafted a year ago. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: dotnet on August 03, 2016, 01:49:34 pm
I put it at less than a 1% chance he would be in the majors this year.  I can't believe he is up this quickly.  I know that a few guys recently have done it, but this is a pretty rare thing even for the best hitters. 

Dansby Swanson is struggling in AA right now, and is doing well for a top hitter drafted a year ago.

The commentators last night mentioned that the Redsox are open about wishing they would not have rushed Jackey Bradley up, so they have experienced this, but not sure why they did it again then. 

I hope AB can come through tonight with a hit.  You saw Big popi last night (love the Big popi gonna be rich commercial too) go right to AB after the strikeout looking on a bad call and put his arm around him. 

JHicks3636

August 03, 2016, 09:46:34 pm #198 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:07:40 pm by JHicks3636
Benintendi singles in his first at bat tonight for his first MLB hit. Batting 9th in the order. Hit was an opposite field line drive off Iwakuma.
See it here: http://m.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-mariners/2016/08/03/448461#game=448461,game_state=live,game_tab=videos

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 03, 2016, 09:46:34 pm
Benintendi singles in his first at bat tonight for his first MLB hit. Batting 9th in the order. Hit was an opposite field line drive off Iwakuma.
See it here: http://m.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-mariners/2016/08/03/448461#game=448461,game_state=live,game_tab=videos

Just came here to post it . . . I watched it live.

I was watching MLB hoping they'd give the game some coverage, since I don't have the MLB season ticket (or whatever they call it).  Sure enough, when he came up to bat, they showed it and were talking about his debut last night.  On a 0-2 pitch, Benintendi went down and stayed with the pitch, slicing it into left field for his first safety in the Show.  He's now batting .333 in his major league career!

They guys commenting (have no idea who, since I never watch that network, but I think at least some are ex-players) were saying the word around Boston is that he's the next Fred Lynn.  Anyone old like me knows what great praise that is.

Oh, and by the way, it showed his family members . . . about a dozen. . . going crazy in the stands.  What a special moment for all of them!  One of them was wearing a Razorback baseball jersey.