Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Consecutive bowl wins

Started by tampahog, September 30, 2017, 10:43:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tampahog

gameday just showed CBB and said he is the only coach in ark history to win back to back bowl games.   is that accurate that we've never had a coach win consecutive bowl games ?   would have never guessed that

phadedhawg

Before the modern era our bowl record kinda sucked.  Back in the day, we played in a lot better bowls, Cotton, Orange, etc..   Now we play in bottom tier bowls were victories are a bit easier to accomplish such as the Texas Bowl. 

The Boar War

Yes.  We have a horrible bowl record.

Hogarusa

Hogs have never had a 3 game bowl winning streak, only other time to win 2 bowl games in a row is '76 (broyles) and '78 (holtz).

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/bowl-history/
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogwild

Quote from: The Boar War on September 30, 2017, 10:51:46 am

We have play current SEC teams 15 or 16 times in bowl games, has a lot to do with it.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 30, 2017, 11:00:51 am
Hogs have never had a 3 game bowl winning streak, only other time to win 2 bowl games in a row is '76 (broyles) and '78 (holtz).

Arkansas just had a 3 game bowl winning streak going into the Belk Bowl.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: tampahog on September 30, 2017, 10:43:47 am
gameday just showed CBB and said he is the only coach in ark history to win back to back bowl games.   is that accurate that we've never had a coach win consecutive bowl games ?   would have never guessed that
This illustrates the misperception the fan base has about the historical success of the Razorbacks program.  It's not as prestigious as many would like to believe.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

hogcard1964

Quote from: The Boar War on September 30, 2017, 10:51:46 am

Supposedly the 2nd worst of all teams with a minimum of 15 bowl appearances.

kp72204

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 30, 2017, 10:50:35 am
Before the modern era our bowl record kinda sucked.  Back in the day, we played in a lot better bowls, Cotton, Orange, etc..   Now we play in bottom tier bowls were victories are a bit easier to accomplish such as the Texas Bowl.
You're so negative. Surely the Liberty Bowl is quite the achievement. LOL

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on September 30, 2017, 04:57:12 pm
Arkansas just had a 3 game bowl winning streak going into the Belk Bowl.

This is true. Petrinos last year was a bowl win.  Then we followed that with 2 losing seasons then two bowl wins in a row.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

rtr

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on September 30, 2017, 05:09:36 pm
This illustrates the misperception the fan base has about the historical success of the Razorbacks program.  It's not as prestigious as many would like to believe.
Good grief, you live up to your handle.  I will add Hatfield and Nutt are mainly responsible for our horrid bowl record.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

HeathWimp

CBB actually owns 33% of our bowl wins since the late 70's, if my memory serves.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Sweet Feet

Quote from: tampahog on September 30, 2017, 10:43:47 am
its true. Bielema, holtz and Petrino are the only coaches with a winning bowl record at Arkansas

WilsonHog

See? He gave us something we've never had before.

rtr

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 30, 2017, 08:24:31 pm
See? He gave us something we've never had before.
Wilson, you are really having fun with these guys on Hogville.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: rtr on September 30, 2017, 08:27:38 pm
Wilson, you are really having fun with these guys on Hogville.

He has given us a few things we have never had before. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 30, 2017, 11:00:51 am

No. The '76 Arkansas team didn't go to a bowl. The '78 team played UCLA in a bowl game that ended in a tie.

Anyway, Arkansas has had to historically "play up" in their bowl games. Bielema has had the luxury of playing down because he loses games in the regular season that he should easily win, so the team gets matched up against bowl opponents that they are waaaaaaay better than. The 2014 and 2015 Texas and K-State teams, respectively, had 6 win regular seasons. They were barely bowl eligible.

Bielema should have been the first coach in Arkansas history to win 3 bowl games in a row but he didn't because of his patented Second Half Meltdowns™.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung