Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dusty Hannahs transferring from Texas Tech

Started by Hawg Red, March 25, 2014, 03:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 01, 2014, 08:51:45 am
Scholarships are good for 1 year.
I wonder if you need probable cause to not renew it (more than he sucks as a player lol) ?

Otherwise, I don't see why we renewed it last year.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 01, 2014, 08:57:05 am
I wonder if you need probable cause to not renew it (more than he sucks as a player lol) ?

Otherwise, I don't see why we renewed it last year.

Because we didn't sign a guard last year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RazorAg on April 01, 2014, 07:40:44 am
Again, I'll be highly surprised if Wagner remains on this team. I believe that wheels have been in motion on that recently.

As for filling that spot, I don't have a good feel on what we'll do. Consider that coaching changes are going on right now and in the near future, though. I bet we'll sit tight to see if there is any quality fall-out from those happenings.

Hawg Red, not debating with you that Allen may favor Florida/Kansas, but have you looked into who those teams are after and where Allen may fall on their pecking lists?

Not particularly. But I imagine, between the two of them, one will at least have room for him.

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 01, 2014, 08:59:28 am
Because we didn't sign a guard last year.
Idk, I guess I'm too humane for college sports. Seems it would've been a favor to Wagner if we let him go last year, regardless of filling scholarships. Maybe we tried and he insisted on proving he can do it. Who knows?

opineonswine

While Wagner did not play this year nor contribute in games, I'll say this for him...he was on the sidelines being a cheerleader to the bitter end.  I was in Berkeley watching him.  Don't know how he was in practice, etc.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 01, 2014, 10:20:58 am
Idk, I guess I'm too humane for college sports. Seems it would've been a favor to Wagner if we let him go last year, regardless of filling scholarships. Maybe we tried and he insisted on proving he can do it. Who knows?

he was offerred a scholarship.  he's done nothing to warrant not having the scholarship.  he deserves to finish what he started if he so desires. 

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 01:46:31 pm
he was offerred a scholarship.  he's done nothing to warrant not having the scholarship.  he deserves to finish what he started if he so desires.
Scholarships are for one year. He has gotten two years and hasn't improved enough to play in games other than blowouts. Its time for him to move on.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

kingofdequeen

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 01, 2014, 02:25:05 pm
Scholarships are for one year.

and that's a big load of horse****.

QuoteHe has gotten two years and hasn't improved enough to play in games other than blowouts. Its time for him to move on.

this is the University of Arkansas, not the Dallas Cowboys.  They're not professionals.  Get over yourselves.  You're wanting to screw with a kid's life b/c he's not an all-american. 

he didn't force them to give him a scholarship.

Hawg Red

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 02:49:01 pm

Write a letter. Change the rule. But stop crying.

azhog10

this is the University of Arkansas, not the Dallas Cowboys.  They're not professionals.  Get over yourselves.  You're wanting to screw with a kid's life b/c he's not an all-american. 

Actually scholarships are given out on a year to year basis. This is fact. However most seem to honor them throughout. However you see plenty of players leaving yearly in every sport due to them either losing their scholarship or being "influenced" to look elsewhere.

outlawhogeywells

One thing we are forgetting to look at.  Is he helping the APR.  Our APR was one of the worst before Mike got here and he has had to work against that.  That means you don't have the luxury to "ask" players to leave.  We needed and still need kids to stay and progress towards there degree.  So keeping him or other players is helping us raise our APR so that in the future we can "ask" a player to leave. 

kingofdequeen

Quote from: azhog10 on April 01, 2014, 03:03:16 pm
Actually scholarships are given out on a year to year basis. This is fact. However most seem to honor them throughout. However you see plenty of players leaving yearly in every sport due to them either losing their scholarship or being "influenced" to look elsewhere.

i know it's fact.  i'm not saying it's not fact.  i'm saying its horse****.

Hawg Red

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on April 01, 2014, 03:04:48 pm
One thing we are forgetting to look at.  Is he helping the APR.  Our APR was one of the worst before Mike got here and he has had to work against that.  That means you don't have the luxury to "ask" players to leave.  We needed and still need kids to stay and progress towards there degree.  So keeping him or other players is helping us raise our APR so that in the future we can "ask" a player to leave.

Sure you can. Our APR isn't bad anymore. Wagner would leave in good standing, so he wouldn't drop our score than much. It's kids not graduating and doing badly in the class room that hurt the most. Our APR was in so much trouble because of a really bad score from Heath's group, and that score has since dropped off the rolling period.

Non-starter, IMO.

HawgAdvocate

The rules will change, in one way or another, within about five years. The clash between unionizing student-athletes and the schools who want to minimize costs will likely agree that giving student-athletes better security is something they can agree on.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Lanny

I'm not in favor of pulling a scholarship from a current player.  Bad PR and not a good way to build a program
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

mhuff

Looks like someone did not do a good job of recruiting. Bummer for the young man.... not much fun

azhog10

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 03:06:53 pm
I see. You are saying you don't like the idea of pulling a kids scholly like that. I would agree, it's not good practice.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: azhog10 on April 01, 2014, 03:38:21 pm
I see. You are saying you don't like the idea of pulling a kids scholly like that. I would agree, it's not good practice.

precisely.  i wouldn't let my kid play for someone known to do such bush league crap, and if it happened i'd make sure everyone in the world heard about it.

I know it's a bunch of rumor and innuendo RE Qualls, but if it doesn't work out with him and wagner were to get dismissed (which i really dont' think is a possibility)...ON TOP of the junk with the football recruits from last year...  doesn't really shine a good light on the UofA in the State of Louisiana.

Big Picture.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Lanny on April 01, 2014, 03:28:54 pm
I'm not in favor of pulling a scholarship from a current player.  Bad PR and not a good way to build a program

I completely agree.  If you recruit a kid, then unless he's dogging it in practice, and/or not trying in the classroom, then that's on the COACHES WHO RECRUITED HIM.  This "well...it's just for one year" being used as a tool to "better offer" someone a few years down the road is a bad practice. 

If there's an honest conversation with the kid about his playing time prospects moving forward, and he chooses to leave for a school where he can get playing time because of that...then that's fair.  But the assumption is that you're going to that school for your playing career, and it's wrong to yank that just to "make room" for someone they feel might be more likely to contribute. 

As others have said...you should have recruited better then.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

OnTheHillHogFan

Telling kids that they need to transfer happens at EVERY school in all major sports
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

kingofdequeen

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 01, 2014, 03:44:43 pm
Telling kids that they need to transfer happens at EVERY school in all major sports

sexual assault happens at every campus in America. 

don't make it right.

klp1

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 01:46:31 pm

Were you upset with Coach Belima when he cut the 8-10 guys to get to the scholarship limit?  SEC sports is the big time.  Sometimes you have to let people go.  These guys often go to smaller schools where they get to play and have great careers.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: klp1 on April 01, 2014, 04:05:04 pm
Were you upset with Coach Belima when cut the 8-10 guys to get to the scholarship limit?  SEC sports is the big time.  Sometimes you have to let people go.  These guys often go to smaller schools where they get to play and have great careers.

was i asleep when this happened?

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 03:56:56 pm

don't make it right.
Because asking a kid to transfer from one school to another while still going to school for free is comparable to someone sexual assaulting someone.

Pork Twain

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 03:06:53 pm
No, its reality.  If a kid is on an academic scholarship and is required to maintain a certain GPA but does not, then they lose it.  If you are hired to do a job and do not, you get fired.  College athletes are no different.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

kingofdequeen

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 01, 2014, 04:06:51 pm
Because asking a kid to transfer from one school to another while still going to school for free is comparable to someone sexual assaulting someone.

of course it isn't.  it's called 'hyperbole' and is used to draw attention to the fact that just b/c people do it doesn't make it right.

good god.

Pork Twain

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 03:56:56 pm

don't make it right.
Stupid comparrison
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

kingofdequeen

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 01, 2014, 04:09:46 pm
Stupid comparrison

yet again.

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 04:09:14 pm
of course it isn't.  it's called 'hyperbole' and is used to draw attention to the fact that just b/c people do it doesn't make it right.

good god.

something's stupid, alright.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 01, 2014, 04:09:11 pm
No, its reality.  If a kid is on an academic scholarship and is required to maintain a certain GPA but does not, then they lose it.  If you are hired to do a job and do not, you get fired.  College athletes are no different.

talk about stupid comparisons.

what's Wagner done to get run, other than EVERYTHING THAT'S BEEN ASKED OF HIM.

Hawg Red

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 04:11:21 pm

Well, he was given a scholarship to play basketball. If he has shown after 2 years that he isn't justifying the scholarship, a case could be made for asking him to leave. And, yes, that would fall back on the coaches who recruited him. And we don't even know if Anderson would ask him to leave or suggest to him that he leave. But he might be honest with the kid and tell him he doesn't think he'll get to see the court too much again. Nothing wrong with that.

Judging athletic scholarships is more difficult than judging academic scholarships because academic scholarships tend to be black and white in terms of what you need to do to keep them.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 01, 2014, 04:16:24 pm
Well, he was given a scholarship to play basketball. If he has shown after 2 years that he isn't justifying the scholarship, a case could be made for asking him to leave. And, yes, that would fall back on the coaches who recruited him. And we don't even know if Anderson would ask him to leave or suggest to him that he leave. But he might be honest with the kid and tell him he doesn't think he'll get to see the court too much again. Nothing wrong with that.

so an LOI's a conditional contract, huh?  there's a section where it states "must meet X perfomance demands or face non-renewal?" 

this is all conjecture anyway, but crap.  the kid's done nothing but be supportive of his team and do what's been asked of him (from my limited perspective).  its not right to cut him b/c he hasn't blossomed into mugsy bogues or who the hell ever.

dsims2k3

I have no problem  with any coach making room for other players  if they aren't cutting it on the court or academically hopefully they can be connected with another institution that compete at a lower level. I see it quite a bit in football.  There have several former Razorbacks have excelled after going to UCA
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Paul

Wagner=poor evaluation.  No program will succeed these days wasting schollies

Hawg Red

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 04:20:15 pm
so an LOI's a conditional contract, huh?  there's a section where it states "must meet X perfomance demands or face non-renewal?" 

this is all conjecture anyway, but crap.  the kid's done nothing but be supportive of his team and do what's been asked of him (from my limited perspective).  its not right to cut him b/c he hasn't blossomed into mugsy bogues or who the hell ever.

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 01, 2014, 04:16:24 pm
Judging athletic scholarships is more difficult than judging academic scholarships because academic scholarships tend to be black and white in terms of what you need to do to keep them.

It is what it is. Scholarships are year-to-year for a reason.

Also, it's for the coaches to decide, not you or I.

dsims2k3

To be fair, Wagner ' s academic achievement can be greatly appreciated as his greatest contribution to the team if need be. Kentucky keeps a bench full of four year players that hardly ever see the court while the one and dones are playing.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Paul on April 01, 2014, 04:37:41 pm

That wasted schollie got us Qualls.

tophawg19

two things . 1 if asked to transfer , the coaches would help him find another team. 2 Dusty can come on an academic scholarship for the year he sits out . He has a high GPA so he wouldn't hurt us either way. The coaches thought Wagner had progressed pretty well last off season but it didn't show beyond early practices
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

klp1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 01, 2014, 06:13:27 pm

That wasted schollie got us Qualls.

No.  Qualls signed in the fall signing period.  Wagner signed in the spring

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: klp1 on April 01, 2014, 07:02:35 pm
No.  Qualls signed in the fall signing period.  Wagner signed in the spring

You are correct, I was wrong

Porkatarian

Quote from: Paul on April 01, 2014, 04:37:41 pm

Actually it was taking a flyer on an undersized PG with an open scholarship.

Huge difference.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Pork Twain

I am pretty sure it happens every single year in football.  It is how things always work themselves out.  It is usually phrased that a player was asked to look elsewhere and since every school does it, I really doubt there is any bad press.

Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 04:11:21 pm

You know this how?

TMc

I agree, if he's not a cancer in the locker room and is giving it his all.., we recruited him and we've got him unless he wants to go somewhere else.  The APR will improve even more because Scott, Clarke, and Wade are all graduating.

Temprees

April 01, 2014, 10:02:25 pm #246 Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:31:24 pm by Temprees
Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 01, 2014, 03:44:43 pm
That is just one of the problems with the NCAA rules.  Players are given one year scholarships, but if a player wants to transfer after that one year, NCAA rules state that the player is ineligible to play at the new school until the player sits out one year.  This is as unfair as it get.  If this issue ever gets before a Court, the NCAA will lose.  The remedy 4-5 year scholarships, with the student-athlete being required to make specified annual academic progress, and to comply with team rules and requirements. 

A coach should not be able to make an error in judgment about a kid, the drop him, just because I found a better player. 

By the way, Dusty, would be a great asset to our team.  The kid can really shoot the ball.  I don't know where this, "he doesn't have a quick release" comes from, because it's not true.  I have watched Dusty play since the 8th grade.  Great release,  and nice jump shot.  He also shoots very well coming off screens and curls.   You can never have enough shooters.  The 94 team was loaded with good 3 point shooters:  Clint McDaniel, Scotty Thurman, Dwight Stewart, Al Dillard, Davor Rimac.  Even Roger Crawford would knock down open 3's from time to time. 

We are too quick to expect ALL players to be good shooters as soon as they set foot on campus.  It happens for some like Thurman, Mayberry, Day, Rodney Clark, etc. from day one; but not until the junior and senior years for others, like McDaniel, Darrell Hawkins, Arlyn Bowers, Rimac, etc.  Hawkins, Bowers, and McDaniel were not good 3 point shooters early in their careers, but shot better in their third and fourth years. 

I really wish we could land Dusty, but not at the expense of "running a player off".

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 01, 2014, 09:34:56 pm
Yes, your original post
Queen is getting owned in this thread. He's tried everything short of "Do it for the children!"

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Porkatarian on April 01, 2014, 09:23:43 pm
Actually it was taking a flyer on an undersized PG with an open scholarship.

Huge difference.

Porkatarian out...

...and that may be true.  I'm not going to pass judgement.  I know the character of MA, and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that if there is something that can be done to help Wagner in the long run, and to also benefit the UA...he will go to great lengths to make that happen. 

Each situation is unique, and without knowing the background of each one, it's IMPOSSIBLE for us to judge.  If there is any "pulling of his scholarship" then I'm quite sure that MA will do everything he can to make sure Wagner ends up somewhere beneficial. 

The reality is, he could discuss the situation with Wagner about his future prospects for playing time, and they could reach an agreement that MA had already lined up for another school.  We wouldn't ever know that, but rest assured...people would be on Hogville roasting MA for forcing him out, when the truth would be that he was simply being fair with him regarding the situation. 

As a general rule, I don't care for the practice if kids are giving it 100% and doing what is asked of them.  But...if honesty is the best policy, then it's on MA to be clear about the situation, and find a common ground that helps all parties. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Wildhog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 01, 2014, 10:09:28 pm
Queen is getting owned in this thread. He's tried everything short of "Do it for the children!"

Sounds like he's only advocating against screwing a kid over when he's done nothing wrong.  If Mike would evaluate better we wouldn't be talking about it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977