Ole Miss
Auburn
Miss St.
Missouri
Arkansas
Tennessee
Kentucky

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Fayettechill14

Pretty funny stuff. Yes please go ahead and put Auburn ahead of us. Again.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 06, 2013, 07:04:14 pm
Pretty funny stuff. Yes please go ahead and put Auburn ahead of us. Again.

Every year....

HiggiePiggy

I think it is funny that Missouri is ahead of us.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 06, 2013, 07:12:56 pm
I think it is funny that Missouri is ahead of us.

Yeah what gives on that? Their recruiting classes are routinely worse than ours and they barely competed with a stable coaching situation.

cmpledger

Missouri was just as decimated with injuries as we were

HF#1

All they are looking at is what we lost offensively.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HogFan#1 on May 06, 2013, 08:09:36 pm
All they are looking at is what we lost offensively.

Yep.

Our defense is going to sneak up and surprise everyone.

Dominicanhog

Great spot to start from, no where to go but UP..... maybe we sneak up on a couple and squeek a decent record (8-4) playing manly football. 8)

bennyl08

Clearly Alabama is the number one, and clearly Kentucky is at the bottom. After that, I disagree.

Texas A&M lost a lot from last season. While we all know the roster losses, I can't stress enough the loss of Kliff Kingsbury. I think that will hurt more than some know. They are definitely top 5, but not #2.

UGA and UF should be 2 and 3 in some order. Florida returns the core of their offense as well as a solid portion of their defense. Georgia returns Aaron Murray and almost all of their offense. While they lose a lot of their key defensive players, they have recruited well enough that they should still have a top 6 defense in the league.

I'd put SC at #5 behind Texas A&M, though there is a large gap between the top 4 teams and the rest, IMO. SC returns a game manager named Shaw and the very good QB named Thompson who will likely bench Shaw after his inevitable injury or at the end of a close game just to mess with his and Shaw's mind. they lose just as much on defense as does Georgia, but lack the explosive offense to compensate. While they do return likely heisman candidate Clowney, it is hard for 1 player to create a scary defense.

LSU seems about right. They had a tough time beating some mediocre teams like us and Auburn last season and then managed to set a record for early departures to the NFL. That can't bode well for them. While they return a lot on offense, what they return did not do terribly well last year. Mettenberger improved each and every game, but still has a ways to go to become an elite SEC qb.

Vandy seems too high at #7 but I honestly can't find any team below them to move up.

Miss St. should be at #8. They return a lot of key players, though their secondary was scavenged by the NFL. Still, as of right now, Mullen is more of a proven commodity than Freeze, and their team is more talented than ole misses from top to bottom.

I'd then put Missouri at #9. Sure, they had a disappointing season for them, but they also had a crazy amount of key injuries.

Arkansas: #10. Sure, we had a disappointing season, but we also had a crazy amount of key injuries. That, and we lost our HC in the middle of spring, not to mention replacing all of our coordinators. Couple that with the JLS and it's impressive that we won 2 SEC games. Still, the talent on this team is that from a team that won 21 games over two seasons. 2009 had major attrition and 2010 was such a mediocre class half the posters here (myself included) didn't even realize how many were no longer here. However, we have a new coaching staff with solid resumes at each position, a few stellar coaches as well. Couple that with highly rated classes in both 11 and 12 as well as a more than expected class for 2013 and we, along with Auburn, are posed for the biggest jump from preseason to end of season.

Auburn/Ole Miss #11, 12 in no particular order. Ole Miss went 6-6 in a year where Auburn and Arkansas were uncharacteristically low and still needed more than a small miracle to defeat us. While they have one highly rated class coming in as true freshman, much of this team skidded through an 0-16 SEC drought. Freeze has shown himself to be a more than competent coach, but even ESPN has Vandy ranked higher than ole miss right now. Auburn is in a similar, yet opposite problem. They have consistently had top 15 classes, but even under Gus's last year, they underperformed. Their offense has decreased in productivity over the last 5 years (save for Cam Newton) and their defense hasn't fared much better. Granted, their roster is more suited for Gus's HS offense than the pro-ish style they tried to run last year. Still, their depth makes us look good in comparison.

Tennessee fall right in to 13th place, though they are without a doubt the overlooked team this upcoming season. They still have a very good OL anchored by an elite tackle. While they too are looking to replace the main skill players on offense, they too are bringing in a new coaching staff. Their defense returns several underrated players, particularly at LB. Still, even with some top players on their roster the past several seasons, they have consistently struggled to become bowl eligible, much less a competitive team. Until they prove it on the field, they deserve no higher than this.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

BatesvilleHOG

Arkansas will finish somewhere between 7 and 9 this year. Our offensive passing game will struggle but we will have a strong running game. Our defense will suprise everyone and I honestly believe we could finish top 5 in SEC rushing defense this fall. We are always under-looked by any and everyone who is employed at espn.

GoHogs1091

Regarding LSU, it is going to be heavily dependent on whether they can get their Left Offensive Tackle vacancy successfully resolved.  Also, it is going to be heavily dependent on if LSU's starting Right Offensive Tackle (Vadal Alexander) makes any improvement.  During their Bowl game against Clemson, Alexander had a lot of trouble with Clemson's DE. 

The_Iceman

We must be patient as a fanbase. We may not see the immediate results other new coaches have or will have, but Bielema is going to build a solid program here. It just may take a few years like it did Petrino.

bennyl08

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 07, 2013, 03:05:33 am
Regarding LSU, it is going to be heavily dependent on whether they can get their Left Offensive Tackle vacancy successfully resolved.  Also, it is going to be heavily dependent on if LSU's starting Right Offensive Tackle (Vadal Alexander) makes any improvement.  During their Bowl game against Clemson, Alexander had a lot of trouble with Clemson's DE.

LSU's success is going to depend a good bit on their defense. Cam Cameron will help develop Mettenberger and may actually give them some decent offensive play calling if Miles will let him. It was their defense that took the largest hit this off season (Hill's recent legal trouble could be very bad for them too) and they will have to mature very quickly.

ARtillahog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 07, 2013, 05:16:51 am
We must be patient as a fanbase. We may not see the immediate results other new coaches have or will have, but Bielema is going to build a solid program here. It just may take a few years like it did Petrino.

This^^^, it will be very hard for some to understand this.