Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great interview with Chavis on Bo’s show.

Started by Al Boarland, March 08, 2018, 11:52:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Seems like a good guy. One thing that jumped out to me is his statement about the defense "only being as good as your second guy" against offenses today. Depth is so critical to being a good team. Those that have it enjoy success. Those that don't are sure to struggle.

The NewEra

That was a really good interview. 

On a side note, The Buzz finally managed to get Morris on the air with them yesterday after a few months.  It was scheduled to begin at 5:45, but didn't start untill 5:47 when the commercials ended.  Morris was barely on the air for 10 minutes before they lost him due to a hard break for more commercials.  They seem to have that same problem again and again.  How can you not over-ride a hard break when you've waited for two months or better to interview the head coach of a program.  Is there no one at that station smarter than the technology they use?

Back to Chavis.  If there is one thing that Bo does extremely well, it's interview.  Chavis has already become comfortable in his role with Morris and the two will do a great job working together to give us a much more dynamic defense than we have had in a long time.  I feel great about that hire.

Al Boarland

Quote from: The NewEra on March 08, 2018, 12:01:17 pm

On a side note, The Buzz finally managed to get Morris on the air with them yesterday after a few months.  It was scheduled to begin at 5:45, but didn't start untill 5:47 when the commercials ended.  Morris was barely on the air for 10 minutes before they lost him due to a hard break for more commercials.  They seem to have that same problem again and again.  How can you not over-ride a hard break when you've waited for two months or better to interview the head coach of a program.  Is there no one at that station smarter than the technology they use?

Back to Chavis.  If there is one thing that Bo does extremely well, it's interview.  Chavis has already become comfortable in his role with Morris and the two will do a great job working together to give us a much more dynamic defense than we have had in a long time.  I feel great about that hire.

I didn't have a problem with the last few DC's. CPR just didn't have the jimmies and joes. It's been a problem for a while. Sometimes we have jimmy, but there isn't a joe to come in without a lot of drop off. That's the difference between recruiting top 10 and top 25.

MultipleScoreGasms

On a side note, The Buzz finally managed to get Morris on the air with them yesterday after a few months.  It was scheduled to begin at 5:45, but didn't start untill 5:47 when the commercials ended.  Morris was barely on the air for 10 minutes before they lost him due to a hard break for more commercials.  They seem to have that same problem again and again.  How can you not over-ride a hard break when you've waited for two months or better to interview the head coach of a program. Is there no one at that station smarter than the technology they use?

No.  And they lose half of the 30 minute TB section to more commercial intro's, and dropping the call.

Hog N Bama

The Buzz is all about commercials

hogfansince79

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogfansince79 on March 08, 2018, 03:46:08 pm
Listen to the interview here...

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/sportstalkwithbo/episodes/2018-03-06T15_56_55-08_00

Thanks for posting link. Great interview. This is what stood out to me - "You win or lose games based on what you do in the offseason."  That is so true.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TexHog188

Hope it's not a bad omen, Chief has a Harley....
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

oldhawg

Quote from: TexHog188 on March 08, 2018, 06:24:54 pm

Yeah, but it probably has a sidecar.

liljo

Lots of cool people have Harley's!  ;D
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 08, 2018, 12:08:22 pm
I didn't have a problem with the last few DC's. CPR just didn't have the jimmies and joes. It's been a problem for a while. Sometimes we have jimmy, but there isn't a joe to come in without a lot of drop off. That's the difference between recruiting top 10 and top 25.
Defense, much more than offense, is about recruiting. Tthe old adage says "You teach offense, but you recruit defense". 

Ugly Uncle

You would think he would ride an Indian.
Retired Radio Host

hawganatic

Quote from: Hog N Bama on March 08, 2018, 03:00:54 pm
The Buzz is all about commercials

A radio station that is all about commercials?  No way...

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

twistitup

We are lucky to have Chavis. His experience blends well with CCM's youthful staff. A good staff needs a balance of old/ young coming from different experiences. Chavis brings that - he's been around and will be a 5* asset to building this program.

Will be fun to watch.

Will we FINALLY be able to get some quality depth at the LB position? Yes, I think we will
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

The Chief still got a hot fire in the belly .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

aloha_kid

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 08, 2018, 09:37:34 pm
Defense, much more than offense, is about recruiting. Tthe old adage says "You teach offense, but you recruit defense".
This is a great quote and so true, so I'm repeating it again.

An offensive guru like the ole ball coach Spurrier drawing up plays leaving guys wide open, or our own genius Petrino...you can scheme and out-wit guys drawing up plays in the dirt, which can hide maybe inferior talent, at times.

It's harder to hide anything defensively. It's all about having big, strong, fast guys who can run, shed blocks, chase down people, and be physical.

You can use more trick-eration on offense.

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 09, 2018, 08:19:11 am
The Chief still got a hot fire in the belly .

...and we know what that leads to

ricepig

twistitup

I like it Rice

We will play that postgame after our opening win - dedicated to you. We are on the verge of huge things under Coach Morris.

#ClubDestination500

#ontheverge

Hog N Bama

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 08, 2018, 04:53:34 pm
Thanks for posting link. Great interview. This is what stood out to me - "You win or lose games based on what you do in the offseason."  That is so true.
I thought that was interesting and a nice way of confirming Sumlin's teams lacked discipline

ChicoHog

Agreed.  Sumlin always seemed like a guy who let the inmates run the asylum.  Good recruiter but I think a mediocre coach.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang