Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why and how do people that don't go to games

Started by bythelake, November 18, 2017, 07:42:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalupa Batman

Quote from: grassroothog on November 18, 2017, 09:59:02 pm
Your bones shook? Wasn't THAT cold. Cupcake.

Coldest game I have been to was the 17-0 win over LSU. It was COLD that night, but that win made it bearable!

hhousewps

Quote from: bythelake on November 18, 2017, 07:58:03 pm
Yea, we we all have our reasons for not going to games,  understand.

But there seems to be more than enough people lurking to criticize without ever going to games or investing in the team.

People who don't go to games get these snap shots of not so full stands and gloat.  What kind of fan is that.  It is just time to call bs.

Guess you forgot about all that TV money that is a direct result from ... you guessed it people staying home.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: bythelake on November 18, 2017, 07:58:03 pm
Yea, we we all have our reasons for not going to games,  understand.

But there seems to be more than enough people lurking to criticize without ever going to games or investing in the team.

People who don't go to games get these snap shots of not so full stands and gloat.  What kind of fan is that.  It is just time to call bs.

I would bet that less than 20% of people who call the Hogs their favorite team have tickets and time to actually go to games.

Consider yourself fortunate and stop being a self righteous whiner.

Medic821

Dumb assdom still reigns supreme here I see.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bythelake on November 18, 2017, 07:42:38 pm
think they have a right to have a say.  My bones shook today as it was cold.

Dam internet warriors.  You [CENSORED] are a liability to the ua.

Speaking only for me. I have a say because:

1. I'm a fan.
2. An alum.
3. Live overseas so going to games isn't doable.

Now my voice carries little to no weight and I understand that.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

010HogFan

Get over yourself. Did you go to the game just so you could come on here and tell all the bad people that you went? Congrats on watching another 4th quarter collapse. I've seen enough of those to know better by now.

BroyledNutts

As a former season ticket holder to football - I haven't been too many games over the Beliema era - mostly just as a tag along thanks to my brother in law who is a season ticket holder -  I've switched my support entirely over to Razorback Baseball - so maybe I don't have the same gravitas in my opinion as someone who goes to every football game ...

I will say this, however. In every instance that I attended a game during Bret's time, I was there, in my seat, at least 30 before hand; and I didn't get out of that seat to leave the stadium until there were zeros on the game clock ... my total amount of attendance may have been limited, but I took my beating for all four quarters. Does that make my opinion carry more or less weight? Oh hell no ... just as it doesn't if I've never been to a game.

By the way - you wanna know cold? Sit for 9 innings in Baum Stadium in February. You'll be begging for today's temps.

EastArkHog 47

Implying that people who don't go to games don't matter and their opinions don't matter is just stupid and sounds to much like Jeff Long.

HUNGRYHAWG

Are you by the lake or on the lake?  Im confused.  Or just by?
If you were on the lake today your bones would be cold, had some nasty winds today.  Answer the question you bone chilling little JL
wannabe.  I'm proud of you for going to a game that 50 yard line tickets and a parking pass could not be gave away.  Get a flu shot!

code red

Been a season Tix holder since 2000.  Drove 700 miles round trip to watch garbage games with unprepared teams.  It is my freedom to stay away, sell or give my Tix away.  I have to say.  Bobby P always had his teams prepared.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HawgMD

Some of us are letting our empty seats "have a say".  As an alumnus and living in NWA, it is painful to do, but it's all I can do at this point.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

hobhog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 18, 2017, 11:51:12 pm
Hog fans are pitiful..probably the largest bandwagon program in the SEC. The issue with that, is there are too many who never attended the UofA, so they have no loyalty to the university. They only show up when it's fashionable. It's understandable but they are probably the biggest whiners on this board and always want someone fired and buyouts paid by some booster. Luckily though their opinion doesn't mean squat.

Have to agree with this. Crowd yesterday was worst I had ever seen in 45 yeas of going to games. Wouldn't have happened at better/stronger programs. Depressing.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on November 18, 2017, 08:26:03 pm
Well, some of us aren't physically able to attend games anymore.  I am in that boat.  I have a condition that prohibits me from walking great distances, up and down steep steps in a stadium, etc. 

And, why spend $55 or more to see a game when it's free on TV.  Sure being there is better (I've been to many of 'em over the years), but IMHO it isn't $75 better.

You still get free cable?

RideTillIDieHawg

Why spend time and money to watch a garbage program ran by an overweight drunk? Fire Bret and you'll see me back at the games.

ricepig

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 19, 2017, 08:34:07 am
Why spend time and money to watch a garbage program ran by an overweight drunk? Fire Bret and you'll see me back at the games.

Until the next coach doesn't win??

micali

ricepig

hobhog

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 19, 2017, 08:34:07 am

Youll get your wish

Tony Perkis

Can only make games that are 3pm or later. 11am kickoffs are no good for killer hangovers.

Wmhog

I for one am tired of people who say Look at me.  I went to the game.  I'm special.

I catch 2 games a year and it's an 8 hour drive one way.  I am lucky to be able to do that.  Not all Hog fans live in Fayetteville.

casken

Started attending games in the late sixties until the cost of children, college, and the demands of work consumed that money and time. Logged over thirty years from SWC days until the mid 90s of regular attendance. It is still a passion despite not having the budget nor the time. I appreciate you going but not everyone can.

Having a say though...since my budget can't afford games for the family...pretty sure I don't have one.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Science Fiction Greg

I certainly don't think I have a say, but I don't think you do either.  I certainly don't think something as pedestrian as sitting in the bleachers would grant you a say about a blasted thing.  You do realize your tickets are to watch the game, not run the team, right?
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Dumb ole famrboy

From the look of what was in the stands yesterday - ain't very many people with the right to have a say.

Jean-Luc Pigard

The first amendment of the constitution guarantees I have a right to say what I want.

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Jean-Luc Pigard on November 19, 2017, 09:18:32 am
The first amendment of the constitution guarantees I have a right to say what I want.
No it doesnt
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

fieldturf

November 19, 2017, 09:26:53 am #126 Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:15:03 am by fieldturf
Coldest I've ever been is Tenn game in LR in 97 I believe it was.  It was 15 degrees at kickoff and only got worst because it was a night game.  Peyton Manning was a senior and they won which was Danny Ford last year.  As for Saturday's game tried to give my tickets away because I wasn't going.  Tickets are still in there on the desk.

Piggfoot

Instead of being bythelake why don't you jump in it.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: bythelake on November 18, 2017, 08:27:26 pm
Well, I hope we have a good crowd for the Missouri game and support the seniors. 

Long fired, check.

Bielema gone , check.

No reason for a less than full crowd.  Hot dammit.  Come on and put your butt in the seats or just keep talking bs.  Even when it's tough.
No reason? How about "It's the Friday after Thanksgiving and Arkansas fans travel all over the country for Thanksgiving to see family?" Does that work for you? I mean I'll be there but only because my family's Thanksgiving festivities will occur in the vicinity of NWA this year.

I know this might sound cray-cray, so brace yourself, but not everyone has the same lifestyle as you. Some people, believe it or not, don't live in NWA and have to drive several hours to attend games which isn't doable all the time. Some people, believe it or not, don't have a 9-5 job with weekends off. Some people have to work weekends. Some people have jobs that require them to be on call and can't spend all day at a ballgame. Some people travel for work and are gone for days or weeks at a time. I mean are you really that guy sitting in the stands scratching your head wondering why some people can't come to ballgames? Here's an idea: try rubbing two brain cells together and maybe you can come up with a coherent thought next time.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

atom hog

Hog fans are pitiful..probably the largest bandwagon program in the SEC. The issue with that, is there are too many who never attended the UofA, so they have no loyalty to the university. They only show up when it's fashionable. It's understandable but they are probably the biggest whiners on this board and always want someone fired and buyouts paid by some booster. Luckily though their opinion doesn't mean squat.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Chalupa Batman on November 18, 2017, 11:53:54 pm
Coldest game I have been to was the 17-0 win over LSU. It was COLD that night, but that win made it bearable!

I was at that game! It was FREEZING! I agree though, the win made it tolerable. That was my fiance's first Razorback game too (she's from Cleveland so had never actually seen a home crown win a football game! Ha!). The COLDEST a game I ever went to though was the ICE bowl against ECU. That was truly miserable. But, again, the win made it bearable.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: fieldturf on November 19, 2017, 09:26:53 am
Coldest I've ever been is Tenn game in LR in 97 I believe it was.  It was 15 degrees at kickoff and only got worst because it was a night game.  Peyton Manning was a senior and they won which was Danny Ford last year.  As for Saturday's game tried to give my tickets away because I was going.  Tickets are still in there on the desk.

sat three rows behind archie at that game. he was actually a really good sport. we played a very close game they were lucky to win. remember it being cold but not horrible.

jgphillips3

The beauty of our fan base, and might I add the vision that Broyles had starting in 1958, was that this poor, agrarian State where so few graduated high school, much less college could be rallied around one team.  Broyles did that by tirelessly appealing to those East Arkansas fans who might be more inclined to support the culturally more similar Ole Miss program or the Southwest Arkansas fans who might be more comfortable with LSU or a Texas school compared to the hillbilly Northwest Arkansas culture.  Now, the modern era has brought all areas of the State closer than before but the thing you are decrying is exactly the thing Broyles nurtured and the thing that gives us financial resources far beyond what we should have.  I know it's easy to want the uneducated rubes to drive up, spend their money and keep their mouths shut, but that isn't how it works.  Broyles brought them into the family and their loyalty built the brand.  You have to take the good with the bad.

oldhawg

Well you are right.  Since I can't attend games very often (currently live on Alaska's North Slope), guess I will quit sending my meager donation to the Razorback Foundation, stop following the Razorbacks on laptop (I don't have a TV here), and stop reading Hogville (which would likely be a good thing to do anyway).  I can always support Ilisagvik College, the community college in Barrow, and their basketball team.  They will appreciate receiving what discretionary funds I allocate to support college athletics.

Oh, and by the way, we had something of a small storm here yesterday which I had to be out in for a while without proper gear, so I do indeed know what it is like for my bones to shake as if it were cold.

But through it all, I do hope the Hogs will beat Missouri next Friday, and I will probably try to watch on my laptop, frequent buffering and all.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 19, 2017, 09:48:31 am
The beauty of our fan base, and might I add the vision that Broyles had starting in 1958, was that this poor, agrarian State where so few graduated high school, much less college could be rallied around one team.  Broyles did that by tirelessly appealing to those East Arkansas fans who might be more inclined to support the culturally more similar Ole Miss program or the Southwest Arkansas fans who might be more comfortable with LSU or a Texas school compared to the hillbilly Northwest Arkansas culture.  Now, the modern era has brought all areas of the State closer than before but the thing you are decrying is exactly the thing Broyles nurtured and the thing that gives us financial resources far beyond what we should have.  I know it's easy to want the uneducated rubes to drive up, spend their money and keep their mouths shut, but that isn't how it works.  Broyles brought them into the family and their loyalty built the brand.  You have to take the good with the bad.
I've never told people that actually purchase tickets or donate money to the UofA regardless of their education to "keep their mouths shut." They have as much right to voice their opinion as someone who graduated from the UofA.

I'll put it like this. Let's say you shop at a business and own stock in that company.  Should someone who doesn't own stock or even shop at that company have a say in choosing how that company is operated, because they reside in the same state as that company? Now mind you, tax payer dollars DO NOT go into Razorback football, so don't try using that argument.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Science Fiction Greg

I think my coldest game was vs. Auburn in either 93 or 94.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hogfanmd

Quote from: hobhog on November 19, 2017, 08:26:13 am
Have to agree with this. Crowd yesterday was worst I had ever seen in 45 yeas of going to games. Wouldn't have happened at better/stronger programs. Depressing.

2 points.
Other then a small inner circle I don't think anyone's opinion really matters to the university Through donations and tickets I spend over 20k each year with Arkansas and they have never asked my opinion.  I don't have any expertise to give one anyway other then wins and loses And level of excitement which is lacking. Empty stadium hard to ignore.

Second.  We were at the Alabama game yesterday due to my daughter looking at their volleyball 🏐 program and she is also looking at Arkansas before I'm roasted, but the stadium was half full.  Mercer was in town.  Fans are fans.   They show up for excitement.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HawgMD on November 19, 2017, 08:17:48 am
Some of us are letting our empty seats "have a say".  As an alumnus and living in NWA, it is painful to do, but it's all I can do at this point.
You got that right, Doc. From what I was told, the stadium was at about 35,000...for an SEC game! If that is accurate, no shocker at all that Bert will be fired some time in the next 7 days.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

SemperFi

The arrogance of some of you posting in this thread is unbelievable.

1. If you didn't go to the UA, then you can't be a REAL fan.
2. If you don't attend every game, then you can't be a REAL fan.
3. If you didn't attend the UA and don't go to every game, then you can't be a REAL fan.

My love for all things Razorback has nothing to do with where I attended school nor does it mean that I can't voice my opinion. I'm not the exception here, but the rule and there are hundreds of thousands of us that never attended the UA but love the Razorbacks probably more than your limited viewpoint will allow you to.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hobhog on November 19, 2017, 08:26:13 am
Yes it would have...but the "better/stronger" programs do not allow this BS to go on for 5 years. They would probably have never hired Bielema to begin with. That is why they are "better/stronger". They do not make judgement errors like Jeff Long made/makes. After 0-8 his first year, the warning signs were blinking bright cardinal red and the sirens were going off. In fact, every season, even his 3rd, there were warning signs that were very obvious but no one wanted to live in reality. They like to be optimistic even in the face of losing at home to Toledo and Texas Tech. Even in the face of Auburn beating the brakes off of the Hogs. Even in the face of a 13 game SEC losing streak over Bert's first 2 seasons.

The 26 years in the SEC has been tough, period. Been to 3 SECCG's and lost all 3 by double digits. Lost the first two badly and scored only a FG in each. Defense at Ark, but for 2 or 3 seasons, has never been competitive with the 2 or 3 best teams every year in SEC which is why Arkansas can not get it done.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

bythelake played y'all. He got a rise out of y'all with the old tried and true troll bait of, "you are not a fan and can't have an opinion if you don't attend the games". Love it.

hogfanmd

I don't think you have to be a season ticket holder or donate to be a great opinionated Razorback fan.   Growing up we didn't goto a lot of games but does not mean that were not fans.   Just like I don't believe you have to contribute to a political candidate to be able to voice an opinion on how they perform. 
You do express your opinion with a vote.  Many people were expressing an opinion by not being at the game Saturday.  Many of those around me were expressing an opinion In declining free parking passes and tickets since I could not go.  The Arkansas fan bAse is slowly moving from the anger phase
To the apathy phase.  Look at what happened to basketball. 

Piggfoot

This thread ranks right at the top of the most arrogant and self serving threads
Ever on Hogville.
The act of donating to the foundation is a farce. It is not a donation. It is a fee allowing you a certain choice of seating. Buying a ticket to a game is entertainment for you.
Buying a ticket, going to a game makes you no more a fan than a person who reads about the Razorbacks, spends time on message boards discussing Razorbacks, listens to talk shows or games on the radio or watches the game on TV. You do not have to make a financial payment to be a fan or supporter.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

by the lake:::::: big head, much wasted space inside. 

goneal

To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

OneLardAlmighty

You're right.  Football should not be televised.

Sweet Feet

So sayeth the internet warrior

Athog

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 18, 2017, 07:46:44 pm
did you honestly think we were going to win?

i've lived through a few of the seasons in 56 years. great you can follow bert at his new gig.

fyi it'll probably be at least two years befor he get's a gig.

You mean you only go if there is a sure win? Wo what a fan!! It is not about supporting the coach , it is about supporting the RAZORBACKS!!

HoggieStyle

Well, you can get tickets for 5 bucks these days, so it's not like I have the cost excuse. Oh well...

hobhog

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 19, 2017, 11:45:58 am
This thread ranks right at the top of the most arrogant and self serving threads
Ever on Hogville.
The act of donating to the foundation is a farce. It is not a donation. It is a fee allowing you a certain choice of seating. Buying a ticket to a game is entertainment for you.
Buying a ticket, going to a game makes you no more a fan than a person who reads about the Razorbacks, spends time on message boards discussing Razorbacks, listens to talk shows or games on the radio or watches the game on TV. You do not have to make a financial payment to be a fan or supporter.

Then I'm a great Cubs and Cowboy fan too. I mean, who needs people in the seats and financial support? Throw in the Mavericks and TCU too. I watch them on TV all the time.

Ridiculous statement. Go to a game and sit thru seasons like this around the hardcore fans and you'd realize how wrong, arrogant and self serving you are.