Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 10, 2024, 06:14:51 pm

Have to brag

Started by warriorlion, August 06, 2013, 09:58:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warriorlion

Son graduates Friday from basic at Fort Leon. Wood but the great news is we found out last week he was offered ROTC scholarship that he had applied for last spring!! Thank God cause out of state tuition was going to kill us! Just had to brag.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: warriorlion on August 06, 2013, 09:58:51 pm
Son graduates Friday from basic at Fort Leon. Wood but the great news is we found out last week he was offered ROTC scholarship that he had applied for last spring!! Thank God cause out of state tuition was going to kill us! Just had to brag.

That's awesome!  My ROTC scholarship turned my life around.  It really is a good deal and a great accomplishment.

Did he just go to basic for the national guard or reserves?  Can he be ROTC while active in one of those units?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

warriorlion

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on August 06, 2013, 10:08:24 pm
That's awesome!  My ROTC scholarship turned my life around.  It really is a good deal and a great accomplishment.

Did he just go to basic for the national guard or reserves?  Can he be ROTC while active in one of those units?
Went for national guard. The guy who contacted us said he can get out of guard but I read on-line that you can stay in guard, get paid as a E-5 and be assigned to an officer in your unit so you have a mentor. I don't know what he will want to do yet. I am sure we will be visiting about it tomorrow when we see him on family day, then on Friday when we stop at his college and talk to the ROTC people.

99toLife

Congrats, that's awesome, a great first step in life.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: warriorlion on August 07, 2013, 02:14:54 pm
Went for national guard. The guy who contacted us said he can get out of guard but I read on-line that you can stay in guard, get paid as a E-5 and be assigned to an officer in your unit so you have a mentor. I don't know what he will want to do yet. I am sure we will be visiting about it tomorrow when we see him on family day, then on Friday when we stop at his college and talk to the ROTC people.

The only thing to be aware of if he stays Guard is the possibility of being activated or going on a deployment that loses a semester of school or more.  Then you don't know how that would affect the scholarship and other stuff.  If he has the chance to stay in school and just do straight ROTC under scholarship then I would really consider doing that.  That's awesome though.  I loved being under a ROTC scholarship for 4 years.  I got an aerospace engineering degree while living in downtown Chicago at a school that was $30,000 a year for free.  Went straight to work making a good salary after I graduated and commissioned and have been having a blast ever since.  It really is a good deal.  You should be very happy for him.

warriorlion

Had graduation today at fort Leonard wood. Great to see my son an 163 other new soldiers graduate.  The ROTC major actually came to graduation an found us and visited with our son.  He will go meet with them Monday.  We did find out that if you are in guard and ROTC you are not required to deploy if your unit is activated so you don't miss out on school.  He is very excited about the opportunity but I know how gung ho I was when I graduated from mcrd San Diego.  I know me and my wife are excited cause we were going to have to quit eating to help pay his tuition!!

Flying Razorback

Quote from: warriorlion on August 09, 2013, 05:42:41 pm
Had graduation today at fort Leonard wood. Great to see my son an 163 other new soldiers graduate.  The ROTC major actually came to graduation an found us and visited with our son.  He will go meet with them Monday.  We did find out that if you are in guard and ROTC you are not required to deploy if your unit is activated so you don't miss out on school.  He is very excited about the opportunity but I know how gung ho I was when I graduated from mcrd San Diego.  I know me and my wife are excited cause we were going to have to quit eating to help pay his tuition!!

Awesome.  That is a really great opportunity then!