Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuition Assistance

Started by Ragnar Hogbrok, March 08, 2013, 02:24:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnar Hogbrok

Just got word after a 6.9 hour flight that tuition assistance for going to school has been frozen.  Yet another benefit they cut before ending the stupid "war" I'm in here in Afghanistan.

Priorities.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Flying Razorback

Its going to make it tough for us because the Air Force "requires" a masters degree for promotion.  I'm glad I finished mine already.  I hate it for all the airmen who use it for bachelors degrees and other skill sets for when they transition out.  Its a big enlistment recruitment tool.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Old Tusk

Yet 24 US REPs force theArmy to buy 300 tanks they don't want.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Sueie

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on March 08, 2013, 02:24:46 am
Just got word after a 6.9 hour flight that tuition assistance for going to school has been frozen.  Yet another benefit they cut before ending the stupid "war" I'm in here in Afghanistan.

Priorities.

NOT for retirees it hasn't.  Still getting mine from Post 9-11. 

Sueie

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 08, 2013, 12:08:44 pm
Its going to make it tough for us because the Air Force "requires" a masters degree for promotion.  I'm glad I finished mine already.  I hate it for all the airmen who use it for bachelors degrees and other skill sets for when they transition out.  Its a big enlistment recruitment tool.

So IF you do not have a Masters degree.  Whatever rank you currently hold is what you will retire or discharge at.  That would SUCK!!!!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Sueie on March 08, 2013, 11:16:26 pm
NOT for retirees it hasn't.  Still getting mine from Post 9-11. 

GI Bill and Tuition Assistance are two very different things.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

CallThemHawgs!

quote author=Nate(wocraig)Craig link=topic=534082.msg8097602#msg8097602 date=1362809380]
GI Bill and Tuition Assistance are two very different things.
[/quote]

They were threatening to cut T/A big time 2 years ago. In half if I recall correctly. It became such a pain in the ass while I was in Korea I just said forget it. Back going to school full time now obviously, but I feel sorry for you guys still in there. What has always been IMO, one of the better jobs in the country (military) is now becoming a "hell no" situation.

I think they are going to start losing good men and women over stuff like this, which is a real shame. The people who want to go places, and have real goals are the ones that lose out. They are the ones who use this stuff.

Our entire government quite frankly needs to be completely erased and wiped clean. The fraud, waste, and abuse is rampant.

The money wasted in one shop could probably pay for a bases entire T/A for a year. Its just absurd. Absolutely no real leadership. From the very top down.

DevilHog1775

I got the word a few days ago about this and think that it is BS, at the same time, I have known very few people that have actually used this resource while on Active Duty. The Joint Education Centers on Installations will not be closing and active service members can still use grants and scholarships, as well as, using thier GI BILL while on Active Duty.

The biggest thing that is disappointing to me about this is that I am currently a Recruiter here in Arkansas and talking to young men about enlistment a week ago and now when they come in tell them differently.

Just need to stick together and go through the times we are currently in and show what we are the best at!

WHITEPW

I had used mine for 4 classes this year.  Needed 4 more to finish a BA.  Hoping they get this worked out before the W3 board next year.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: WHITEPW on March 10, 2013, 09:57:45 pm
I had used mine for 4 classes this year.  Needed 4 more to finish a BA.  Hoping they get this worked out before the W3 board next year.

Fortunately, I finished my Ass. of Gen Studies here recently using TA.  I'm up for W-3 this coming board in April.

Airforcehawg

Quote from: Sueie on March 08, 2013, 11:18:05 pm
So IF you do not have a Masters degree.  Whatever rank you currently hold is what you will retire or discharge at.  That would SUCK!!!!

I don't know about having to have a Masters to get promoted. It is "Highly encouraged" that you have your CCAF (Associates degree through the Air force). Our new Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force "only" had his CCAF during the selection process (Just recently received bachelors in Business administration).

Having a Masters may be a requirement on the commissioned side but not for NCO's.

SteveInArk

Quote from: Airforcehawg on March 11, 2013, 03:28:23 am
I don't know about having to have a Masters to get promoted. It is "Highly encouraged" that you have your CCAF (Associates degree through the Air force). Our new Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force "only" had his CCAF during the selection process (Just recently received bachelors in Business administration).

Having a Masters may be a requirement on the commissioned side but not for NCO's.

Having a masters is not a requirement ... but it is one of those squares that best be filled.  Even back when I was on active duty, it was important to have it on your record by the time you came up for LTC.  Too many variables to say it would make the difference.  But even back in the late 70's, it was best to get it out of the way, on your record as an O-3.

But for all grades, regardless, the promotion boards are looking for those "tie-breakers".  When the services start "tightening" their belts, more education on the record can be critical.  Whether for promotion or for RIF boards.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Boll Hawg

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 08, 2013, 12:08:44 pm

Never heard of a masters degree being required for any promotion.  I'm in the Air Guard and have a masters degree in education, but I'm quite content in my lowly E-5 position.  I've looked into some commissioning opportunities, but am not wild about going through OCS, other schools, etc.  Through the guard I got excellent educational benefits.  I don't owe a penny in student loans.   
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

Sueie

A new Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and a new Commander in Chief is all you guys need.

The rest will take care of itself.

hogginbama

Quote from: Boll Hawg on March 11, 2013, 09:23:49 am
Never heard of a masters degree being required for any promotion.  I'm in the Air Guard and have a masters degree in education, but I'm quite content in my lowly E-5 position.  I've looked into some commissioning opportunities, but am not wild about going through OCS, other schools, etc.  Through the guard I got excellent educational benefits.  I don't owe a penny in student loans.   

Not that it is necessarily a requirement, but when you look at the competitive edge and historical results of promotions, that is who is getting promoted. Just like OCS/WOFT boards for individuals trying to come on active duty. It is not a requirement to currently hold a bachelor's degree, have a STEM degree, or have a GPA over 3.0. But, when you look at past board results those without a degree, holding something other then a STEM degree and having a GPA less than 3.0 were getting selected at a rougly 10% rate. Now that their are current shortages for entry level OCS/WOFT candidates those selection results have eased just a bit.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Boll Hawg

I feel for the active duty guys trying to further their education.  Some of the guys I know at LRAFB are working 12-14hr. days, 6-7 days a week.  The military tries to push furthering their education, but has made it nearly impossible to do so.  Add to this the requirement of completing community service and these guys are dead tired.   
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Boll Hawg on March 11, 2013, 09:23:49 am

Hoginbama hit it.  Believe me, I have sat in more briefings from senior leaders than I care to recall who said "Getting a masters isn't a requirement (then a wink) you just have to convince everyone in your peer group to also not get one..."  and then "It shows dedication to the Air Force, and the Air Force wants to reward those who are willing to show their level of dedication..." and so on and so forth.  It's ludicrous.  I hope the promotion boards aren't able to see who has a masters degree and who doesn't.  The promotion rate of those without a masters is something like 60%.  Those who have started their masters but haven't completed make up the rest.  Those who haven't even started the degree... well, thanks for playing and thank you for your service.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."