Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Commission into guard?

Started by CallThemHawgs!, December 14, 2012, 02:47:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CallThemHawgs!

I just finished 4 yrs AD Air Force this summer and am back in school, little over halfway finished with my bachelors now. Just curious if anyone in here has commissioned into the Army National Guard? Just wondering how that works and if they make you AD first or there is a Guard option right from the start.

I have enough hours to commission straight to AD, but I would rather do Guard and stay in school.

hogginbama

My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: hogginbama on December 14, 2012, 11:28:42 am
Check your PM

Just saw it thanks man, I would prob be looking at getting into Cav or maybe even 35M on the enlisted side depending on what was available.

hogginbama

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 15, 2012, 01:18:37 am
Just saw it thanks man, I would prob be looking at getting into Cav or maybe even 35M on the enlisted side depending on what was available.

If you would like, I can pull a Reserve Vacancy report for the openings in your area. Just let me know where you will be going to school at and I will get it pulled down and sent to you. With you coming off of AD you will be using the GI Bill I assume. With the Reserves, you can also use their tuition assitance to defray some costs as well. The Guard has a tuition assitance plan, but unless it has changed recently, it is a re-imbursable plan that is dependent upon available money on a first-come/first-serve basis. The Reserve TA pays directly to the school upon submission of the paperwork from the school.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

CallThemHawgs!

That would be great man. Right now I am back in school and using the MGIB, currently have about 74hrs completed.

I would be interested to see what slots are open around here, and the time table for possible commission, etc. Appreciate the help.

hogginbama

Talked with our BN Reserve Ops guru today, need the rank you got out of AF and zip code of where you are located. This will allow us to look at jobs closer to you. We pulled the vacancy list for the BN that covers that area, which is OKC BN and there are over 1100 vacancies in a 4 state area covered by the BN.

CallThemHawgs!

Got out after 4yrs as an E-4, honorable discharge. 76 hours of school completed, was set to test for E-5 a month before I got out. I was E-4 for nearly 2 years.

CallThemHawgs!

hogginbama

Good deal, I will have a list of vacancies for you tomorrow (Thurs), unless this massive snow storm we are having here in Madison, WI prevents our BN HQ from making it in to work over in Milwaukee. Will have it by Friday at the latest.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: hogginbama on December 20, 2012, 01:21:59 am
Good deal, I will have a list of vacancies for you tomorrow (Thurs), unless this massive snow storm we are having here in Madison, WI prevents our BN HQ from making it in to work over in Milwaukee. Will have it by Friday at the latest.

Sounds good man, appreciate it.

Flying Razorback

You can commission direct in to a Guard unit.  Most Air National Guard flying units pick up their pilots this way because its' the only way to get young blood in.  Most other positions at units have direct commission options but there is less turnover than there is in the ops world.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on December 21, 2012, 08:32:17 pm
You can commission direct in to a Guard unit.  Most Air National Guard flying units pick up their pilots this way because its' the only way to get young blood in.  Most other positions at units have direct commission options but there is less turnover than there is in the ops world.

Ok thanks for the help on that, I was not too sure. I wonder if that is the same for the Army too? I would be interested in flying helos but I have no idea what the list looks like, as with any flying jobs its probably backed up. I guess the only option is to go AD first, thats not an option at this point though. Oh well.

CallThemHawgs!

Damn, so I was just coming back in to check up on this thread and realized I completely read your post wrong FlyingRzrbk. So you are saying I CAN commission directly into a guard unit?

Interesting. I am definitely wanting to look into either commissioning into the Air   guard or army guard then. My job would be selective, because I dont want to get stuck doing something I dont want. And I have specific reasons for wanting to commission in the first place.

I will get in contact with someone.

Flying Razorback

Yes you CAN commission directly in to a Guard or Reserve unit.  I have a buddy at Air Force OTS right now that is commissioning directly in to the Reserve unit at McConnell AFB in Wichita, KS to fly KC-135s.  He's 29, turning 30 this summer, and going straight to pilot training as a 2LT after he completes OTS.

When I was a flight instructor we had at least one direct commissioned Guard or Reserve pilot per class.  I've seen them commission straight in to units all over the US, it's the only way to get young officers because active duty have to serve either 4, 5, 8, or 10 years initial commitment so the youngest they can ever come out is as a Captain.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on February 10, 2013, 03:06:34 pm
Yes you CAN commission directly in to a Guard or Reserve unit.  I have a buddy at Air Force OTS right now that is commissioning directly in to the Reserve unit at McConnell AFB in Wichita, KS to fly KC-135s.  He's 29, turning 30 this summer, and going straight to pilot training as a 2LT after he completes OTS.

When I was a flight instructor we had at least one direct commissioned Guard or Reserve pilot per class.  I've seen them commission straight in to units all over the US, it's the only way to get young officers because active duty have to serve either 4, 5, 8, or 10 years initial commitment so the youngest they can ever come out is as a Captain.

Wow, ok good deal. What are slots looking like right now? Few and far between? If I flew it would be helos and on the ground it would be armor or back to TACP as an O.

Thanks for the help man

Flying Razorback

It's all unit dependent and career field dependent.  There are some places that can't always fill their allotment because they're in places that people don't want to live.  And then there are other units that are high demand.  Generally the two Arkansas ANG units are pretty high demand and don't have too many openings.  The Fort Smith ANG, the 188th, should have some great hiring opportunities coming up with their mission change to UAVs.  You may be able to do a job search on GoANG.com or somewhere.

Flying Razorback

Here's a good website with Aviation Jobs listed, I've never really purused it too much but it might have something for you:

http://www.guardreservejobs.com

CallThemHawgs!

Thanks man, looked on that site and there are plenty of fixed wing jobs avail. Not many rotary. And it looks like there are not any SOF slots avail either. Im going to call an ANG recruiter tomorrow and get the scoop. I cant imagine they are full.