Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hero Vets Die Saving Wives in Texas Parade Crash

Started by LSUFan, November 16, 2012, 04:39:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

Police have identified the four servicemen who died in Midland, Texas when a freight train plowed into a parade float carrying wounded veterans and their spouses at a crossing, two of whom saved their wives by pushing them to safety before they died.

Army SGM Gary Stouffer, 37, and 47-year-old Army SGM Lawrence Boivin were pronounced dead at the scene, police said, after the float carrying wounded veterans and their families to an honorary banquet was struck by a Union Pacific train around 4:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon. The train struck as the parade was crossing the tracks, turning the honorary event into a scene of destruction.

Army SGT Joshua Michael, 34, and 43-year-old Army SGM William Lubbers were transported from the scene and later pronounced dead at Midland Memorial Hospital, according to the Midland Police.

Seventeen people in all were transported to the hospital and 10 were treated and released. Four people were in stable condition and one is in critical condition as of this morning.

Michael was killed in the crash but was able to save his wife, his mother-in-law told the Amarillo Globe-News.

"He pushed his wife off the float -- my daughter," Mary Hefley told the newspaper. "He was that kind of guy. He always had a smile on his face. He would do for others before he would do for himself."

http://gma.yahoo.com/hero-vets-die-saving-wives-texas-parade-crash-084832922--abc-news-topstories.html
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

bob slydell

I know SGT Michael and his family personally.  His son was in my Cub Scout den when we were both at Ft Sam in San Antonio before he ETSed from the Army.  His loss was a devastating blow to all who knew him.  Please keep his wife and his children in your prayers.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

SteveInArk

Thanks for the personal info.  Prayers for the family for sure.  A hero for sure. RIP.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown