Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

God, country, family? Or vice versa?

Started by Atreyu, September 07, 2012, 07:48:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atreyu

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma here, and I'm hoping yall can offer me some insight here.

I came into the navy on a SEAL contract. It was my entire life for about 2 years, training for it, getting mentally and physically ready. Then I got married, which severely hurt my dream. Then I had a child, which put my struggling dream out of its misery. I got into an easy job, with short deployments and great pay. The problem is, it is completely unfulfilling. It eats me alive every minute of every day that I didn't even get to try for my dream, and that it seems like I either have to choose between a fulfilling military career, or a happy marriage.

I guess I'm just looking for a little help in getting my priorities in order, which is something I should be able to do myself, but I can't. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Flying Razorback

Our time in the service will end one day in some form or another.  But if we're lucky, our family will always be with us. 

I commissioned when I was 21 so I could theoretically retire if I did a full 20 at 41.  So by doing a max military career, I would still have many years of life ahead of me.

This is temporary, your relationship with your family is permanent.  The dynamic of a military family is one of the hardest there is and most will never understand it.  Open communication and constant re-assessment are required.

I would say never put the family below the top.  My ops tempo is about to go up dramatically and it's a constant discussion with the wife every day about it.  I am doing everything I can to make it easier on her back home while I'm away.  She respects this and it helps her reciprocate a little and understand my love for flying and my job and my service for the country.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."