Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best chowhall you ever ate at??

Started by husker71, November 21, 2011, 08:36:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

I was just talking to an old friend and we were talking about the sub base chow hall at Pearl Harbor and the unbelievable chow served there.  How about you   where was the best chow you had during your service.  I was lucky because the chow there and then when I was transferred to Navcommsta Phillipines both ad great chow and lots of it. 

pigture perfect

Ft. Knox Ky. had a pretty decent chow hall, 2nd best was Corpus Christi Naval Air station where I ate during a weekend duty.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

82abn Ard

There was one in Sullivan barracks, Mannheim Germany that was great.

HomerHawg

kodiakisland

Don't know where I would call the best, but I did crash a change of command lunch on Benning one time that was serving lobster.  Ate pretty good at just about any air force mess I was lucky enough to visit.  I do remember the food getting a lot better at Landstuhl when they replaced the army cooks with navy cooks.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ARtillahog

Camp Liberty...Iraq.  Had some awesome breakfast burritos, but that was about it.

pheine78

Wow!  KBR chow halls downrange are usually great (know I have ate at MANY in my time), but my all time favorite is the DFAC at Camp Darby, Italy (now closed).  All you can eat with a set fee; they had a nice salad bar, panini selection and best of all, a brick oven pizza maker!!!  For $3.50 you can't beat it with a stick!
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

H&D

The KBR chow hall at Camp Victory.  I was at Camp Sather, MRE's were a better option than our chow hall most of the time.  Anytime we could sneak over to Camp Victory for a meal we did. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Ftsmithmike

Everyone knows the place to eat is the hospital DFAC. Always. But at breakfast the made to order omlets are to die for.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

hawgsav1

Naval Station Newport, RI.  Made to order omelettes.  Dessert selection was pretty good as well.  All you can eat.  Yum.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

mj4president

Manas Air Force Base. Stopped there on the way to Afghan and on the way home. Best stocked place I've ever seen. Got a $10 30 minute massage that was awesome too!
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

uaspiderman

Paux River, MD - was there on a rifle team demo and the food was incredible. It's where they do testing for many of the new aircraft.

H0GGYSTYLE

DFAC - Balad Iraq (Anaconda to the Army Folks); You really couldn't beat the holiday meals there.  All you can eat steak, shrimp, lobster, crab, sides.  They had a full sandwitch bar with panini press on one side.  Oven brick pizza maker on the other side.  A pie/cake/various dessert bar in the middle.  Ice cream bar with all the toppings in the back.  The lines and location were horrible, but you can't beat the selection.

Blue35

Hogger

HawgFanOahu

Canadian Forces Base Lahr, Germany.  Spent a month there TDY from Eglin in 1987 or '88.  Lt. that was with me had to go on the fat boy program when we got home.

Fort Dweller

Iditarod Dining Hall, Elmendorf AFB, AK.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Chief Mac

Bob Hope DFAC, Baghdad International Airport 2004
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

H&D

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 28, 2012, 10:13:35 am
Bob Hope DFAC, Baghdad International Airport 2004

That's the stuff I'm talking about..........
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Chief Mac

Quote from: H&D on February 28, 2012, 09:40:34 pm
That's the stuff I'm talking about..........

The "Bob Hizzie" was off the hook LOL!  Another DFAC that is as good or better is the DFAC at Camp As Salya (sp?), Qatar.  Went there twice on my two four day passes while on my 365 TDY to Afghanistan.  That DFAC kicked butt!!!
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: mj4president on January 05, 2012, 08:49:09 pm
Manas Air Force Base. Stopped there on the way to Afghan and on the way home. Best stocked place I've ever seen. Got a $10 30 minute massage that was awesome too!

when did you go through there?  Last time I passed through (begining of 2009 and returning 2010) it wasn't so bueno

LGHOG

Quote from: Blue35 on January 27, 2012, 06:49:41 pm
Subic Bay

Not at a base but the town and towns and the PI experience with the food, beer (sam miguels) and of course the women. Miss those times, badly. And enjoying playing "smiles".

:)

Razorbacks#1

Volunteer. Adjacent to FOB Shield. Those counterparts put on a meal in their DFAC, aka facility.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

NotStupid

Doha, Kuwait.  Or maybe the food just seemed really good because I had been in Iraq for 11 months.

H&D

Quote from: NotStupid on April 26, 2012, 10:22:41 am
Doha, Kuwait.  Or maybe the food just seemed really good because I had been in Iraq for 11 months.

Probably the same feeling I had about the Pizza Hut in Qatar after leaving Iraq.  I'm sure it wasn't as spectacular as I thought.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

riccoar

Fort Dweller

Quote from: H&D on April 26, 2012, 02:49:46 pm
Probably the same feeling I had about the Pizza Hut in Qatar after leaving Iraq.  I'm sure it wasn't as spectacular as I thought.

For some odd reason, everyone raves about that place.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

cubsfan5150

QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: Jon (riccoar) M. on April 27, 2012, 03:01:20 pm
Ramstein AB, Germany
That one was pretty good.

For me it was the chowhall at the Red Roof Inn compound that is on Ft Bragg. If you've been there, you know what I'm talking about ;D
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

H&D

Quote from: Bo (Fort Dweller) on April 27, 2012, 05:05:27 pm
For some odd reason, everyone raves about that place.

After eating MRE's for most of your meals for six months, it was damn good.  Plus I was washing it down with beer, so that also helped.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Fort Dweller

April 28, 2012, 09:51:59 am #30 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:54:57 am by Bo (Fort Dweller)
Quote from: H&D on April 28, 2012, 05:31:18 am
After eating MRE's for most of your meals for six months, it was damn good.  Plus I was washing it down with beer, so that also helped.

Brotha I know.  Forgot the sarcasm tag.  The Quizno's at Baltimore/Washington was the best sandwich I ever ate.  :)  Didn't care that it was $20 for the meal.

Porquemada

The Submarine base mess hall in Groton, Connecticut. Second would probably be underway in the crew's mess of the USS Rickover (still the only place I've ever eaten fresh Alaskan king crab).

H&D

Quote from: Porquemada on April 29, 2012, 12:33:45 pm
The Submarine base mess hall in Groton, Connecticut. Second would probably be underway in the crew's mess of the USS Rickover (still the only place I've ever eaten fresh Alaskan king crab).

I had king crab and lobster in Iraq.  It was good, but I not sure were they got it from.  It was over at the Australians Camp on BIAP.  They had beer also...shhhh.....don't tell anyone,
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

bob slydell

I never at better on the Army's dime than I did in Iraq.  The KBR facilities were very well ran.  I especially loved the 'steak and lobster fridays'.  I was at Cp Cropper which was decent.  The newly constructed DFAC on Stryker was great (it was easily the largest that I've seen).  It had a movie theater.  The sad part was that it was newly constructed because of a suicide bomber destroying the old structure. 

I also liked the one on Cp Liberty.  The key there was to avoid peak times because it was very crowded almost all of the time because it was relatively small compared to the population that it served.  BIAP was another good one.  The first time I ate there was at breakfast the morning we were flying out to Kuwait headed home.  Kicked myself for not going more often considering it was right across the street from Cropper.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Count De Money

LZ Dottie, RVN, Engrs Mess Hall. Had a supply sargeant that could "find" luxury foods for us and the mess sargeant was a chef.  Fantastic T-bone steaks grilled routinely and the water buffalo roast was to die for.  War was hell.

Arctic Hog

KBR chow hall when I was deployed to Taszar, Hungary back during the Kosovo days.  Full blown trained chef on staff and always serving grilled steaks, Mongolian BBQ, etc.

riccoar

Quote from: Bryan (CHF) on April 27, 2012, 05:10:44 pm
That one was pretty good.

For me it was the chowhall at the Red Roof Inn compound that is on Ft Bragg. If you've been there, you know what I'm talking about ;D
Ramstein was HQ for USAFE and, as usual, HQ bases had the stuff.

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: riccoar on July 12, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Ramstein was HQ for USAFE and, as usual, HQ bases had the stuff.
When were you at Ramstein? I was there from 98-00.
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

hawg_heaven

Not sure what the Army post is called, but it is in the same location as Ali Al Salem AFB in Kuwait. The chowhall on Ali was horrendous, but the one on the Army post right next door was awesome and the best I have had period.

hogfanatic1978

GITMO (Camp America Chow Hall) Every Friday was either Steak and  Shrimp or Prime Rib and lobster tails. Breakfast was always fire also.

pheine78

Quote from: Bryan (CHF) on July 12, 2012, 10:57:32 am
When were you at Ramstein? I was there from 98-00.
I was there from 2006 - 2009.  Ate at the DFAC lots of time with my folks...it was bad everytime.  They charged me $8 for jambalaya, I got two pieces of shrimp. 
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

CPO Hog

Quote from: hogfanatic1978 on September 13, 2012, 10:27:29 pm
GITMO (Camp America Chow Hall) Every Friday was either Steak and  Shrimp or Prime Rib and lobster tails. Breakfast was always fire also.

GITMO was good. Was there a couple time between 87-91. The hands down #1 chow hall is at the Navy's Acustic Test base on Andros Island Bahama's. It's like a 5* buffet.

Brand X Hog Fan

Best chow I had while in was at the Bomber Alert shack at Fairchild AFB. Always heard the food at the aircrew survival school across the runway was better but never made it over there to try it.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.