Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about Afghanistan

Started by RiverRatHog, June 26, 2011, 01:47:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRatHog

Has anyone here been over to Afghanistan or know someone who's recently come back from there?

I am currently an Army civilian and have an opportunity to go over to the sandbox and work a 6 month tour doing work similiar to what I am doing now. It would be long hours (12/day @ 7 day/wk), but other than that I have no idea what else to expect (except heat and sub-standard living conditions).

The primary reason for going would be the money. The oppurtunity this would present would allow me to put quite a bit back in savings and have a cushion if something was to ever happen and I needed to get my hands on it. I can also pay off quite few bills that we have and be for the most part debt free.

The secondary reason is a long desire of mine to somehow serve my country. I realize it isn't exactly the same but it will be as close as I'll ever get to it now since I'm too old to enlist. (Never serving our country is actually one of my true regrets in life)

My biggest concerns are safety and separation from my family.
My wife says she can handle it, but my son is scared of me being over there. My parents think I've gone totally crazy for even entertaining the thought.

I guess I'm just looking for some real world answer/observations of how life really is over there. Pros/Cons, would it be worth it, etc.

Thanks in advance.
RRH

1CavHog

Ragnar Hogbrok

Depends on the job. If you'll be on a fairly established FOB (think one with an airfield), then I'd do it as long as you don't have to leave the wire.  If it's at a remote FOB, then the risks are a bit higher and depend on which AO your FOB will be in.  If it's a small FOB in RC-East, forget it.  Only way I go to one of those is as a soldier with a weapon and a right to defend myself.  Even then, think long and hard about it.

If you could let me know which FOB or FOBs you would be working at, I could give you a much better answer.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

webbgem

Quote from: wocraig on June 27, 2011, 12:59:56 pm
If you could let me know which FOB or FOBs you would be working at, I could give you a much better answer.

That's the key.
Matthew 6:34

mj4president

It depends, the money will be badass but weigh the factors. Like WO Craig said, the East is a bitch. The south isn't the best either but the farther away you are from Pakistan the better you are off. My fob was hit probably once or twice a month with incoming.

If you're at BAF or KAF then that's like Afghanistan's version of America. KAF smells like straight darn and is overcrowed.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

FIRENUTZ

I am a DoD Civillian currently in my 11th month at FOB Fenty in Jalalabad (RC-East).  Feel free to contact me via PM and I can answer most of your questions.  Inside and outside the wire. 

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: FIRENUTZ on July 02, 2012, 12:47:43 pm
I am a DoD Civillian currently in my 11th month at FOB Fenty in Jalalabad (RC-East).  Feel free to contact me via PM and I can answer most of your questions.  Inside and outside the wire. 

Good ole FOB Fenty.  Did a year there from Nov 2010-Nov 2011.  Things still a bit testy in that area?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Bryan (CHF)

I did 6 tours to Afghanistan from 2003-07 as a DoD civilian. 5 at Bagram and 1 in Kabul. I traveled to the various outstations though to run operations though. I can answer questions if anyone has them.
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!