Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cheap Knives.

Started by DeltaBoy, January 15, 2016, 09:30:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Rough Rider
Schrade
http://www.opinel-usa.com/
All these are 3 well made but low cost knifes I carry.
By being a wise and patience shopper you can get Bucks and Case for under 50 bucks.

What are some of your favorite Pocket knifes that don't cost an arm and a leg.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SWD26

Most of the China knives, such as Rough Rider and Schrade, use 440A SS and are pretty good user knives for the money. 440A is not as good as 440C but is not terrible.

The big disappointment is the newer Case knives, as they no longer use 440C but have went to the much cheaper and not near as good a steel, 420HC. I know they call it Tru-Sharp but that means nothing, it is just 420.

Buck knives have always used 420 in their standard knives but are now making some higher grade knives with good steel, such as S30V and ATS-34.

For those still wanting a Case, I would suggest going with the Chrome Vanadium, unless you just need or just want stainless steel.

tophawg19

a few years ago wal mart carried some imperial knives . they were great but very cheap. they were as good as my bucks and even the custom made ones . these stayed razor sharp even when skinning deer
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

DeltaBoy

January 18, 2016, 08:40:28 am #3 Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:30:08 pm by DeltaBoy
Taylor made ones have improved their fit and finish and for the Cost are a great buy for a daily farm or construction site stockman.

I had heard Case had tinkered with the SS formula a few years ago.

IMG_20180507_200813_758
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

SWD26

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 18, 2016, 08:40:28 am
Taylor made ones have improved their fit and finish and for the Cost are a great buy for a daily farm or construction site stockman.

I had heard Case had tinkered with the SS formula a few years ago.

I agree, It's amazing that they can sell them so cheap. I know that labor is cheap in China but it looks like the material would cost more than what they sell the knife for.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: SWD26 on January 18, 2016, 10:17:07 am

I agree, It's amazing that they can sell them so cheap. I know that labor is cheap in China but it looks like the material would cost more than what they sell the knife for.

The one I got off of Ebay was pretty sharp and after a run over my Black Arkansas stone and some cardboard stropping it was hair popping sharp.   

DeltaBoy

My new case I got for Christmas took some work on the stones as it came with a ruff edge from the factory .  The wife got me a Texas Jack it going into my Sunday rotation. This week I am  carrying a lockback folder , a Standard Swiss Army Knife, a full size stockman and a #8 Opinel and I rotate out brands and models each week.  They get cleaned on Sat and a new rotation gets pulled from the box.  Most Weekends I have a Jack or Barlow in my pocket and a Buck 110 or other larger folder on my belt. Truth is the Swiss Army Knifes get the most daily work except for the Opinel which I use with my lunch. I pocket carry it since there too much moisture in my lunch box and I don't want it to rust.
In Schrades I have 5-6 340 small stockmans and I retired my 0T8's due to the sentimental value of both but I am hoping to score another Made in the USA OT8 this week off the Bay.

SWD26

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 19, 2016, 10:52:15 am
My new case I got for Christmas took some work on the stones as it came with a ruff edge from the factory .  The wife got me a Texas Jack it going into my Sunday rotation. This week I am  carrying a lockback folder , a Standard Swiss Army Knife, a full size stockman and a #8 Opinel and I rotate out brands and models each week.  They get cleaned on Sat and a new rotation gets pulled from the box.  Most Weekends I have a Jack or Barlow in my pocket and a Buck 110 or other larger folder on my belt. Truth is the Swiss Army Knifes get the most daily work except for the Opinel which I use with my lunch. I pocket carry it since there too much moisture in my lunch box and I don't want it to rust.
In Schrades I have 5-6 340 small stockmans and I retired my 0T8's due to the sentimental value of both but I am hoping to score another Made in the USA OT8 this week off the Bay.

Have you checked out "Jay's Knives" on-line? It's a pretty good site to find older knives of all brands.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: SWD26 on January 19, 2016, 11:57:20 am
Have you checked out "Jay's Knives" on-line? It's a pretty good site to find older knives of all brands.

No I have not Thanks!

Rzbakfromwaybak

January 20, 2016, 11:37:34 pm #9 Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:27:53 am by Rzbakfromwaybak

I bought a couple of Ka-Bar Dozier folding hunters, about $21 ea.  Light weight, easy for ED pocket carry, sharp, strong blade & a lockback.  Very nice for the money.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 20, 2016, 11:37:34 pm

I bought a couple of Ka-Bar Dozier folding hunters, about $21 ea.  Light weight, easy for ED pocket carry, sharp, strong blade & a lockback.  Very nice for the money.

Solid Knife and your correct they are a good buy.  My sentiments like with slip joints first and foremost.

DeltaBoy

I customized a Opinel #8 this weekend I reshaped the handle and drilled out a hole for a lanyard.  Then I painted it dark brown.

SWD26

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 20, 2016, 11:37:34 pm

I agree. This knife has 8A steel, which is a good knife steel. In my opinion, this may be the best knife out there for the money.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: SWD26 on January 25, 2016, 10:41:17 pm
I agree. This knife has 8A steel, which is a good knife steel. In my opinion, this may be the best knife out there for the money.

I am going to try and get one this summer.

DeltaBoy

January 29, 2016, 08:45:31 am #14 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:05:50 am by DeltaBoy
Waiting on the Mail to deliver me a Garden knife by Opinel and a vintage Camillus stockman.   

DeltaBoy

Garden knife came in  Fit and Finish are perfect and the blade is like all Opinel's sharp.

My biggest surprise is how easy and light it feels in the pocket it just disappears in a pair of dockers.

Filthy_McSwine

I'm a big fan of the Kershaw Ken Onion knives they sell on Woot from time to time.  A little big for EDC, but good and sharp and the speedsafe opening in almost switchblade fast.

http://www.woot.com/offers/kershaw-ken-onion-leek-knife-w-speed-safe

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on February 04, 2016, 04:14:33 pm
I'm a big fan of the Kershaw Ken Onion knives they sell on Woot from time to time.  A little big for EDC, but good and sharp and the speedsafe opening in almost switchblade fast.

http://www.woot.com/offers/kershaw-ken-onion-leek-knife-w-speed-safe

I got 2 Kershaws and both are Speedsafe and they are sharp and fast.

DeltaBoy

That 1960's Camillus cleaned up well and took a great edge.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 15, 2016, 09:06:18 pm
a few years ago wal mart carried some imperial knives . they were great but very cheap. they were as good as my bucks and even the custom made ones . these stayed razor sharp even when skinning deer

I got an Imperial Stockman a week ago off Amazon used and it well made.

DeltaBoy

Got a Diamond Edge Imperial Peanut size pocket knife last week for 7 bucks and spent a hour cleaning it up. It will be a Sunday knife.  Blades too a good edge on my old set of Smith's Crock Sticks.  I found it covered up on of my Winchester boxes I have and  I pulled it out and put it back to work after being retire ( lost ) for the past 15 years.

DeltaBoy

Got at Rite Edge Barlow and it took a good edge. I took the sander and rounded the edges off the knife since the edges on the springs and bosters was sharp.

DeltaBoy

Thanks to the Ebay I got a Old Timer USA 72OT doglegged jack in my pocket and a 1972 Old Timer 8OT in the Mail coming soon.  Paid less than 10 bucks for both of them.

DeltaBoy

Got a Imperial lock back at Tractor Supply and it been a good one and I paid $3:50 on Clearance.

DeltaBoy

Got a gunstock Rough Rider stockman. in Yellow derin and it got great walk n talk and was nice and sharp out of the box  $8 bucks.

oldman1015

you sure buy a lot of knives.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: oldman1015 on June 13, 2016, 01:05:13 pm
The gubberment won't let him play with guns... ;D
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: oldman1015 on June 13, 2016, 01:05:13 pm

It a fun hobby for me and I spend less than 20 buck each one.

oldman1015

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 14, 2016, 10:03:46 am
It a fun hobby for me and I spend less than 20 buck each one.
how many would you guess you own?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: oldman1015 on June 14, 2016, 10:25:01 am
how many would you guess you own?

Over 40 pockets knifes+5 lock backs and 6 fixed blades .

DeltaBoy

Got me a New Colonial quic flip and it is Great. I wish you all had a Tractor Supply Company around.

oldman1015

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 01, 2016, 04:03:11 pm
Got me a New Colonial quic flip and it is Great. I wish you all had a Tractor Supply Company around.
But I don't have a tractor.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: oldman1015 on August 08, 2016, 03:31:26 pm
But I don't have a tractor.

No need they sale machetes , axes and all sorts of knifes.

DeltaBoy

I got a Saber Stockman and USA Schrade Walden 895 serpentine stockman last week off the bay for less that 12 bucks.

DeltaBoy

Bought a new full sized Buck stockman on sale at my Walmart and sent it to Idaho the next day. It had a proud pins on both sides and the sheeps foot blade was awlful gritty even after a good cleaning and oiling.

95_alum

Very happy with my Schrade SCHF52.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 95_alum on September 10, 2016, 01:19:17 pm
Very happy with my Schrade SCHF52.

I been looking at those Schrade fixed blades for a while.

DeltaBoy

September 22, 2016, 01:49:12 pm #37 Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:33:12 pm by DeltaBoy
Grabbed another 8OT Stockman in good shape paid 18 bucks with shipping due to a bidding war.

DeltaBoy

Collecting Knifes is a pretty cheap hobby with Ebay.

bolo

found a queen pocket knife in the trash the other day
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

DeltaBoy

Quote from: bolo on October 01, 2016, 03:40:46 pm
found a queen pocket knife in the trash the other day

Depending on condition you got a winner then.

bolo

R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

tophawg19

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 01, 2016, 01:55:26 pm
I got an Imperial Stockman a week ago off Amazon used and it well made.
Wal mart had them for about 10 bucks when i got them. through 2 deer and well into a 3rd before sharpening . And if lost , it wasn't as bad as losing a custom made
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 03, 2016, 08:13:43 pm
Wal mart had them for about 10 bucks when i got them. through 2 deer and well into a 3rd before sharpening . And if lost , it wasn't as bad as losing a custom made

Taylor doing a great job and I love those Rough Riders.

WaltKowalski

I've had my 191 for ten years maybe longer. I am going to get a 192 for the gut hook but if not for that this would be the last knife I would ever have to buy. I use it as a can opener in a pinch and I'd will still skin.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: WaltKowalski on October 30, 2016, 08:46:31 pm
I've had my 191 for ten years maybe longer. I am going to get a 192 for the gut hook but if not for that this would be the last knife I would ever have to buy. I use it as a can opener in a pinch and I'd will still skin.

Great they are good knives.

DeltaBoy

Christmas time is coming fast and Pocket Knifes are a gift that needs to be in some man's or boy's stocking.

DeltaBoy

Honk Falls 4 1/2 inch stock man

My last 2 Rough Riders and the Honk Falls.

DeltaBoy

That saber stock man

China Buck