Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Khalil Garland commits to Memphis

Started by -Blu, March 01, 2016, 07:36:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

2nd ranked played in Arkansas, Khalil Garland of LR Parkview just verbally committed to Memphis. 

Evan Daniels
‏@EvanDaniels
2017 guard Khalil Garland just verbally committed to Memphis, per a source.

chiti66

WTH!,,,  Did we not recruit the kid?  Please tell me it's grades.  Why would a kid go to Memphis over UA?  Pastner
will be gone in a year...

ricepig

HawgAdvocate

Yet another Parkview stud, going elsewhere. Played for Team Penny.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ADavisTheGOAT

From what iv'e seen, he's EXTREMELY immature.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

HawgAdvocate

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1647669-khalil-garland-commits-to-memphis

Evan Daniels' story doesn't explicitly list Arkansas as having offered. Interesting, but not all that surprising.

QuoteTo go with Memphis, Garland had also picked up scholarship offers from a host of schools including Baylor, Creighton, Connecticut, Florida and LSU.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 01, 2016, 08:41:36 pm
From what iv'e seen, he's EXTREMELY immature.

What have you seen? Aren't you from Shreveport?

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2016, 09:39:02 pm
What have you seen? Aren't you from Shreveport?
Take a look at his twitter feed and watch his Periscope streams and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

poloprince

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 01, 2016, 08:32:32 pm
Yet another Parkview stud, going elsewhere. Played for Team Penny.

Good player yes, stud no. He was once a Espn top 60 player and there are reasons why that is no longer the case.
$PoLoPrInCe$

wheelspigharvey

So we wanted Mike to wait til March to have recruiting all squared away?  That would be preferable to what we ended up with? Also, he doesn't have record of taking in-state guys in as transfers so maybe one of these guys that he should have went after could still end up a Hog?

orgkeith

We have offered a soph on that team, but not this junior.  If I had one scholarship to offer to a kid from Parkview in that class I think it would go to Franklin over Garland.  I doubt Garland averages over 13 pts a game if that.

mbgrulz

Wish the thugs from Bangin in the Rock would off Cotton.

Letsroll1200

Arkansas never offered the kid!!! We will see how things play out but congrats to the kid.

-Blu

From what I hear Parkview is not really encouraging kids to Hogs.  It's rumors that the Parkview coach and Nolan have some bad history, that's still lingering.  I don't know how true that is or not.  Just what I heard.

Regardless, I never thought Garland was coming here, never was offered, never heard anything linking him to us.  Not really a surprise to me he went somewhere else.

The next Parkview kid that we will have a shot at is Ethan Henderson, 2018 kid, currently 5 star and #11 on ESPN.  He grew up a Hog fan and his mom is a Hog fan, we will definitely be in the mix for him.  He's been offered.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: -Blu on March 01, 2016, 11:17:12 pm
From what I hear Parkview is not really encouraging kids to Hogs.  It's rumors that the Parkview coach and Nolan have some bad history, that's still lingering.  I don't know how true that is or not.  Just what I heard.

Regardless, I never thought Garland was coming here, never was offered, never heard anything linking him to us.  Not really a surprise to me he went somewhere else.

The next Parkview kid that we will have a shot at is Ethan Henderson, 2018 kid, currently 5 star and #11 on ESPN.  He grew up a Hog fan and his mom is a Hog fan, we will definitely be in the mix for him.  He's been offered.
If Anderson can't land Henderson, he doesn't deserve his job. 2018 has the potential to be one of the best classes ever. Vanover and Henderson would be the best big man duo in the land and the next year we'll have Justice Hill coming in. Don't forget Gafford will probably be here for those 3 years. But I'm glad we're recruiting him early. Calipari is the only real threat and he has yet to offer him.

batmanfan

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 01, 2016, 11:29:16 pm
If Anderson can't land Henderson, he doesn't deserve his job. 2018 has the potential to be one of the best classes ever. Vanover and Henderson would be the best big man duo in the land and the next year we'll have Justice Hill coming in. Don't forget Gafford will probably be here for those 3 years. But I'm glad we're recruiting him early. Calipari is the only real threat and he has yet to offer him.

Also the Perry kid from Florida who has Ark ties and plays AAU here.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: batmanfan on March 01, 2016, 11:42:48 pm
Also the Perry kid from Florida who has Ark ties and plays AAU here.
Man that class could be nasty

-Blu

I think Anderson's job will depend more on him winning the next couple of years rather than what Henderson and Vanover decide.  Those rankings right now really don't mean anything, that's why ESPN only has about 25 of them ranked.  Even the Justice Hill commit doesn't mean much right now, still a long time away from 2019, and a lot for him to prove. 

You really don't know how good they will be until after they've played AAU in the 17U circuit, then you get a good idea of how good or not good they will be.   Remember this time last year, everybody was saying Mitchell Smith was a must get, and he was getting a ton of hype. Adrian Moore was another guy people thought would be a must get for Arkansas a few years ago.  Even our own Trey Thompson was once a 4-star on ESPN.   And his stock dropped.

I guess my whole point is, wait until the kid plays against top notch competition, before you label him a "must get for a coach to keep his job" because  I've seen those same people that hype the kids up be the same people that are the most critical of them when they don't pan out. 

Hawg Red

Least surprising thing ever. Never thought we'd have a shot with this kid. When's the last time we got a kid from Parkview while he was at Parkview? Beard had transferred to NLR and Macon played a year of JUCO ball before committing. That program actively pushing kids away from Arkansas. There's no hiding it.

Sidenote: I do think Macon would have committed to the Hogs while at Parkview because he's a diehard like Portis.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 02, 2016, 06:17:36 am
Least surprising thing ever. Never thought we'd have a shot with this kid. When's the last time we got a kid from Parkview while he was at Parkview? Beard had transferred to NLR and Macon played a year of JUCO ball before committing. That program actively pushing kids away from Arkansas. There's no hiding it.

Sidenote: I do think Macon would have committed to the Hogs while at Parkview because he's a diehard like Portis.

Yep.  I think we'll have a shot at Henderson as well, just because he's a razorback fan and his mom is a fan as well.  But, your right if a kid isn't a diehard, and they are at Parkview, there's almost no chance they end up a Hog.

The Hogfather

Quote from: -Blu on March 02, 2016, 08:02:25 am
But, your right if a kid isn't a diehard, and they are at Parkview, there's almost no chance they end up a Hog.

Which is truly sad.  For the kids and for Arkansas.

Letsroll1200

Khalid is aware of the possibility of a coaching change at Memphis. What factored into his commitment is some of the roster is made up of former players that played for Team Penny and Arkansas never offered the kid. Arkansas had contact with Garland but never extended a offer.

From what I know the kid really liked Creighten but distance my have been a big factor. I don't know if Arkansas was waiting but they didn't make Khalid feel like a priority. Josh Pastner needed some positive publicity and Khalid has given him a small win this morning in the Memphis area.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hogfan991 on March 01, 2016, 09:41:55 pm
Take a look at his twitter feed and watch his Periscope streams and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Creepy.

RazorPiggie

Anderson may not be here in 2018 lol.

The_Iceman

http://247sports.com/Player/Khalil-Garland-84004

Khalil was recently dropped down to a 3-star in 247's rankings. He was up in the 60's and now he is in the 140's.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on March 02, 2016, 08:02:25 am
Yep.  I think we'll have a shot at Henderson as well, just because he's a razorback fan and his mom is a fan as well.  But, your right if a kid isn't a diehard, and they are at Parkview, there's almost no chance they end up a Hog.

Wish someone could get that guy fired from Parkview. It is a shame to have a coach work against us like that for personal reasons.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 02, 2016, 09:29:14 am
Wish someone could get that guy fired from Parkview. It is a shame to have a coach work against us like that for personal reasons.

And his name is Kahn Cotton right? 

Like Kahn?

And Cotton?

maydaynasty1

Letsroll1200 u are 1000% correct.  I see a lot of misinformed ppl posting. No, the hogs never offered or showed any interest in k.garland & they did not become interested in him, until he put 23 on El Dorado. 

maydaynasty1

As I read these comments,  lol, ARKANSAS NEVER showed interest & never offered him, & it doesn't have anything to Do with pview coach, cotton or any of this stuff being posted.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 02, 2016, 09:29:14 am

Little Rock is rife with guys like this. The Flannigans are still butt hurt about not being Hogs and they coach in LR now. You also have to wonder about NLR as both the basketball AND football teams are batting under .500 there.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 02, 2016, 11:07:55 am
Little Rock is rife with guys like this. The Flannigans are still butt hurt about not being Hogs and they coach in LR now. You also have to wonder about NLR as both the basketball AND football teams are batting under .500 there.

We need to get someone in our basketball program that can go down and repair those relationships in LR.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 02, 2016, 09:27:03 am

Khalil was recently dropped down to a 3-star in 247's rankings. He was up in the 60's and now he is in the 140's.

That falls in line with some of the first-hand accounts I've read. Could be that we truly aren't missing out on anything. Franklin would seem to hurt worse not getting.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: maydaynasty1 on March 02, 2016, 11:00:40 am
As I read these comments,  lol, ARKANSAS NEVER showed interest & never offered him, & it doesn't have anything to Do with pview coach, cotton or any of this stuff being posted.

They don't know so they are just speculating.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 02, 2016, 11:18:49 am
They don't know so they are just speculating.

Real easy to speculate considering Parkview players seem to avoid the program like the plague but if they leave, they're open to playing for the Hogs. Surely one could appreciate it how it looks from the outside looking in.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 02, 2016, 11:21:23 am
Real easy to speculate considering Parkview players seem to avoid the program like the plague but if they leave, they're open to playing for the Hogs. Surely one could appreciate it how it looks from the outside looking in.

Nobody is pushing Parkview players from playing with the hogs. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 02, 2016, 11:29:47 am
Nobody is pushing Parkview players from playing with the hogs.

Not what I said, is it?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 02, 2016, 11:15:48 am
That falls in line with some of the first-hand accounts I've read. Could be that we truly aren't missing out on anything. Franklin would seem to hurt worse not getting.

I'd like to see some video of Franklin. I know Franklin has said we are showing interest in him. I'm guessing he is that typical athletic PF Mike likes?

orgkeith

We signed the Ross kid from Parkview Pel's last year, but he didn't qualify and we didn't recruit him out of prep school.  Anderson stayed away from academic risks for at least his first three years to get APR under control.

Hawg Red

Quote from: orgkeith on March 02, 2016, 03:32:24 pm
We signed the Ross kid from Parkview Pel's last year, but he didn't qualify and we didn't recruit him out of prep school.  Anderson stayed away from academic risks for at least his first three years to get APR under control.

Believe Ross committed to the Hogs while at Pulaski Academy at age 15. But Ross was always going to be a Hog, like Macon. It's the kids that need convinced that we'll never get from Parkview.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 02, 2016, 09:18:33 am
Creepy.
Not really. I followed him on Twitter and it automatically made me follow him on Periscope since its linked.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 02, 2016, 11:10:36 am
We need to get someone in our basketball program that can go down and repair those relationships in LR.

No, Little Rock needs to correct this situation. If it is such a gungho Hog town like we are always told, this should take care of itself.

Part of the problem is also that the AAU treasurer is from that area as well and the U of A has never played nice with that cess pool of an organization.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 02, 2016, 09:27:03 am

When Pastner is done with him, he will be playing like a 2 star.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Bionic_Pig

Partner has about 2 weeks of employment remaining.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ricepig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 02, 2016, 05:58:50 pm

I don't think they have the $10m to buy him out.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 02, 2016, 05:58:50 pm

I watched them play Tulsa and the commentators said something like Pastner would be given another year. Who knows if he is right or not.

hogwood

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 02, 2016, 04:55:57 pm
When Pastner is done with him, he will be playing like a 2 star.

LOL truth. Or he will transfer to Central Michigan or wherever Memphis players go to graduate.

hogwood

Just glad he never led on any Arkansas fans. Good thing is we have better shots at 2 players that are better than Garland. Jamal Johnson (AL) and Brandon Rachal (LA).

Razorod

Quote from: hogwood on March 03, 2016, 11:23:19 am
Just glad he never led on any Arkansas fans. Good thing is we have better shots at 2 players that are better than Garland. Jamal Johnson (AL) and Brandon Rachal (LA).
How good is our shot with Jamal? I have a feeling he's who the coaches really want, not sure how much he wants to be a Hog.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.