Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BBall Prospect Nick Babb may have just committed

Started by RazorAg, August 10, 2013, 11:30:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 02:10:46 pm
*sigh*

Let go of the rope people. It's been nearly 20 years.

***Spin spin spin***

The SEC does not attract its fair share of MCD AA's. You can win a lot in this league with one or two "impact" guys + a host of hungry baller who fight and hustle.

Mike's system - and that can quickly become a topic for another forum - is not about stars getting touches. It is about out-hustling and players with versatility on the court.

Mike's greatest weaknesses thus far? Guard play and defensive stoppers. He is addressing this year. Would you prefer finding eligibility for the NBA "defensive POY?" Sure. I'll take Babb and hope you forget your log-in password.

HV policy: no player bashing. This could get there.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

gchamblee

What is wrong with you people? I dont read this board that often, but there seems to be a theme that im picking up on. You guys absolutely roast anyone that takes a more realistic and rational view of the landscape. What is wrong with a fan having higher expectations for the program? Since when is it ok to question the loyalty of a fan simply because his expectations are higher than yours? I bet you guys are brutal in discussions of politics and religion. Tolerance seems to be a thing of the past, which makes me sad. There is no room in our society for people that think differently than I do.

Anyway, very good get for the program. Im excited to see our recruiting improving in all sports. Now you guys can go back to asking people that dont share your enthusiasm to go find a different team to cheer for.

WPS

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 02:28:30 pm
Big Nasty and Tank were Mickey D's AAs. Your definition of "impact" is vastly different from mine. Many of the other players were considered top 75 players, including Thurman, Beck, and Stewart. Beck and Stewart were highly thought of JUCOs whose grades scared nearly everyone else away. Crawford was a highly touted JUCO player, as was Dillard.
Beck, Stewart and Thurman were not highly regarded before coming to arkansas. Check your facts. We beat Louisiana tech for Thurman.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BeoPig™ on August 10, 2013, 02:37:25 pm
Sorry if some of us are excited about landing this guy.  He might not be a top 100, but he is still a very good player that we needed.

Sadly I have found basketball much more enjoyable when you were on ignore and I did not have to put up with your games.  Back you go.

Thank you. I welcome not having to deal with you picking silly fights over your failure to understand the context/perspective of my posts and my responses others.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 10, 2013, 02:41:53 pm
HV policy: no player bashing. This could get there.

No one is being bashed. I'm offering perspective, just as I did last summer when we landed 3* types like JaCorey Williams, Mike Qualls, and Anthlon Bell.

Not many liked the idea of keeping perspective back then when many of you were rubber-stamping your 2013 Big Dance/NIT tickets after those three committed, just as some of you don't like it now.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Pork Twain

Back on track.  Nice to see Arkansas land another player that should fit in well for the Hogs and makes 2014 look all even better.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1314839.html
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 10, 2013, 02:45:11 pm
Beck, Stewart and Thurman were not highly regarded before coming to arkansas. Check your facts. We beat Louisiana tech for Thurman.

Thurman was the #2 recruit out of Louisiana behind National High School co-player of the year Randy Livingston. He had more offers beyond LA Tech.

Pork Twain

Quote from: gchamblee on August 10, 2013, 02:42:35 pm
What is wrong with you people? I dont read this board that often, but there seems to be a theme that im picking up on. You guys absolutely roast anyone that takes a more realistic and rational view of the landscape. What is wrong with a fan having higher expectations for the program? Since when is it ok to question the loyalty of a fan simply because his expectations are higher than yours? I bet you guys are brutal in discussions of politics and religion. Tolerance seems to be a thing of the past, which makes me sad. There is no room in our society for people that think differently than I do.

Anyway, very good get for the program. Im excited to see our recruiting improving in all sports. Now you guys can go back to asking people that dont share your enthusiasm to go find a different team to cheer for.

WPS
The problem is not what you have listed.  The problem is that is all HA does.  If you read the board more often, you might realize why many are tired of his games.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 02:50:32 pm
Thurman was the #2 recruit out of Louisiana behind National High School co-player of the year Randy Livingston. He had more offers beyond LA Tech.
Being number two in LA doesn't mean you're a top 75 recruit.

We did not beat a bunch of blue bloods for Thurman, beck and Stewart. Check your facts.

PonderinHog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on August 10, 2013, 02:52:46 pm
The problem is not what you have listed.  The problem is that is all HA does.  If you read the board more often, you might realize why many are tired of his games.
He's hoPELessly devoted to Florida's assistant coach.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 10, 2013, 02:55:13 pm
He's hoPELessly devoted to Florida's assistant coach.
He was all over pelphrey's jock when he was here. I miss going 2-14.

HawgAdvocate

Yes, so when you look at "all I do," please look at page 1 of this thread to see the context of my post, and then read how two or three in this thread fail to understand the point being made.

I'm glad we landed Babb, but we need to continue landing more impact recruits like Portis and Kingsley. Somehow that statement is interpreted by Beo and others to mean I hate Mike Anderson (false), Babb is not a good player (false), and we need a roster "FULL of Top 100 players" in order to get back into the Big Dance year after year (false).

What is true is that those who talk of "games" being played on a message board are often actually the biggest "game" players on here.

gchamblee

Ive only seen what was posted in this one thread, and based on that Ive seen nothing that warrants him being asked to lose his password. If he is so annoying why dont people just use the ignore feature? Why do people like me, the casual observer that comes here to find engaging debate about my favorite team, have to go through pages of darn slinging over fairly harmless comments? I can appreciate how someone can be deemed unhealthy for the atmosphere that is being cultivated here, I just didnt see it in this thread. I actually found what he said to be credible, but it didnt curb my excitement for this verbal commitment.

Pork Twain

Quote from: gchamblee on August 10, 2013, 02:57:54 pm
Ive only seen what was posted in this one thread, and based on that Ive seen nothing that warrants him being asked to lose his password. If he is so annoying why dont people just use the ignore feature? Why do people like me, the casual observer that comes here to find engaging debate about my favorite team, have to go through pages of darn slinging over fairly harmless comments? I can appreciate how someone can be deemed unhealthy for the atmosphere that is being cultivated here, I just didnt see it in this thread. I actually found what he said to be credible, but it didnt curb my excitement for this verbal commitment.
You should not base what you know off of one thread. It would be credible if it wasn't for the fact that those types of comments are all he has made since we hired our new HC, but when Pel was here, he could do no wrong.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 02:24:50 pm
In consideration for All-SEC talk by the end of his sophomore season.

how do YOU know he won't be. Not every recruit is going to be a 5 point superstar.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 10, 2013, 02:54:54 pm
Being number two in LA doesn't mean you're a top 75 recruit.

We did not beat a bunch of blue bloods for Thurman, beck and Stewart. Check your facts.

I know the facts. Thanks for offering a whole lot of nada to the topic.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on August 10, 2013, 03:01:33 pm
how do YOU know he won't be. Not every recruit is going to be a 5 point superstar.

He could be, but based on his current recruit rankings, he's not projected to be.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BeoPig™ on August 10, 2013, 03:00:56 pm
You should not base what you know off of one thread. It would be credible if it wasn't for the fact that those types of comments are all he has made since we hired our new HC, but when Pel was here, he could do no wrong.

And when this thread gets trashed, we'll know who to thank for derailing it into  a three year old petty argument that says nothing about the topic of Nick Babb.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 03:03:07 pm
He could be, but based on his current recruit rankings, he's not projected to be.
Neither was thurman.

HawgAdvocate

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 03:02:21 pm
I know the facts. Thanks for offering a whole lot of nada to the topic.
Fact: Thurman , beck, Stewart weren't highly recruited and turned out to be three of the best players we ever had.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 10, 2013, 03:05:17 pm
Neither was thurman.
He will claim ignorance here...  Most of that team was not top recruits but they all fit very well into the system that NR was running.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 02:50:32 pm

You don't know darn. Way off base.
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 02:47:49 pm
No one is being bashed. I'm offering perspective, just as I did last summer when we landed 3* types like JaCorey Williams, Mike Qualls, and Anthlon Bell.

Not many liked the idea of keeping perspective back then when many of you were rubber-stamping your 2013 Big Dance/NIT tickets after those three committed, just as some of you don't like it now.

And you likely have no clue why that collection of role players was not the nirvana we needed. Still might not. Short of a miracle UA won't be seeing postseason action in 2014 either. For the same reasons as the past, and star-power isn't it.

But, you deserve props for noting that trio from a year ago would not lad us to the promised land. I guess.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

I am sorry for my part in this.  Can someone clean this thread up, so we can just talk about Babb?  I hope that MA continues to build this team back up like he has last year, this year and so far next year.

HawgAdvocate

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 10, 2013, 03:08:36 pm
You don't know darn. Way off base.

Way off? Interesting. Feel free to correct me then.

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 10, 2013, 03:08:36 pm
And you likely have no clue why that collection of role players was not the nirvana we needed. Still might not. Short of a miracle UA won't be seeing postseason action in 2014 either. For the same reasons as the past, and star-power isn't it.

But, you deserve props for noting that trio from a year ago would not lad us to the promised land. I guess.

Thanks. I guess.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Oklahawg

Thurman had two offers out of HS. La Tech and UA. Longest of longshots to be a stud.

Roger Crawford was the better prospect between he and Dillard, who was thought to be a shooter only. Neither were elite prospects.

HA needs to study up.

Pickwick Hog

This place is turning into the Jump Ball forum with all the usual suspects.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Hawg4life33

Seems like another solid piece to add to the core of Portis, Kingsley, Qualls, Bell and Harris.  Mike seems to be consistent in who he recruits; athletic, multi-dimensional kids who have high upside especially on the defensive end. Hope we finish out strong for the 2014 class.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 10, 2013, 03:15:13 pm
Thurman had two offers out of HS. La Tech and UA. Longest of longshots to be a stud.

Roger Crawford was the better prospect between he and Dillard, who was thought to be a shooter only. Neither were elite prospects.

HA needs to study up.
He said Dillard was highly thought of before coming to arkansas!!!!

Dillard was working with his dad before coming here! His nickname on the team was "grandpa" because he was so old for a college student.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 10, 2013, 03:15:13 pm

Yeah, and Karl Malone also had only two offers: LA Tech and the UA, right? Because he chose us over Tech doesn't mean those were the only two. 

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 10, 2013, 03:05:17 pm
Neither was thurman.

you're correct he was not a top 100 player, he was the diamond in the rough. His contributions when Corliss was injured at the first part of the season were unexpected and amazing.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on August 10, 2013, 03:16:04 pm
Seems like another solid piece to add to the core of Portis, Kingsley, Qualls, Bell and Harris.  Mike seems to be consistent in who he recruits; athletic, multi-dimensional kids who have high upside especially on the defensive end. Hope we finish out strong for the 2014 class.
That is what I like about Babb and the guys we added over the last two years.  Long bodies and athleticism.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on August 10, 2013, 03:21:53 pm
you're correct he was not a top 100 player, he was the diamond in the rough. His contributions when Corliss was injured at the first part of the season were unexpected and amazing.
Exactly the Ruston rifle was born! 34 against Mizzou in Columbia.

The hogs were picked 4th in the west after losing so much from the year before.

Hawg4life33

Quote from: BeoPig™ on August 10, 2013, 03:22:20 pm
That is what I like about Babb and the guys we added over the last two years.  Long bodies and athleticism.

He's put together three solid recruiting classes in a row. The first didn't have star power but had solid guys who I think will continue to improve and be major factors in upcoming years. Clarke, Qualls, Williams and Bell all showed major upside.  Second class looks like it should have some star power with Harris and Portis with another high ceiling big in Kingsley.  2014 class has good balance and top 20-25 guys at three different positions. I like where things are headed but these classes need to start translating into wins.

Corkscrew Johnson

This team has lacked senior leadership and depth for almost a decade.  I would take a 4 year, 4 star guard over a one-and-done Mcdonald's AA without blinking an eye.  It's what this team needs.   Mike is building a foundation and this is a good time to be a hog fan.   

PonderinHog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on August 10, 2013, 03:31:55 pm
This team has lacked senior leadership and depth for almost a decade.  I would take a 4 year, 4 star guard over a one-and-done Mcdonald's AA without blinking an eye.  It's what this team needs.   Mike is building a foundation and this is a good time to be a hog fan.
Thank you!

-Blu

Quote from: gchamblee on August 10, 2013, 02:42:35 pm

It's actually not like that at all on hogville, the moderators do a good job of policing the forums and keep the conversations civil.  95% of the time most thread will have good debates/arguments going, and there's no "roasting" of individual people.  However, you must not read too many of HA's posts, I learned fast that he just disagrees with whatever the vast majority of people agree with, then when you make a good point he can't argue he won't post anymore than go to another thread and do the same thing. 

HA argued with me for 2 pages long on the Nick Babb final 3 schools thread on how Arkansas's basketball program was on the same level as TAM and SMU, and we would be lucky to get Babb because our school hasn't been in the tournament in a few years.  He also stated that all kids care about is winning and none of the care about school tradition or history, they are all just care about "who is winning now."  I find it funny now that we got Babb, he comes on here and says that we should be getting all top 75 recruits now if we want to win.  But accordingly to his logic we shouldn't get good recruits at all because our team has not been to the tournament in a while.

Oklahawg

Quote from: -Blu on August 10, 2013, 03:35:53 pm
It's actually not like that at all on hogville, the moderators do a good job of policing the forums and keep the conversations civil.  95% of the time most thread will have good debates/arguments going, and there's no "roasting" of individual people.  However, you must not read too many of HA's posts, I learned fast that he just disagrees with whatever the vast majority of people agree with, then when you make a good point he can't argue he won't post anymore than go to another thread and do the same thing. 

HA argued with me for 2 pages long on the Nick Babb final 3 schools thread on how Arkansas's basketball program was on the same level as TAM and SMU, and we would be lucky to get Babb because our school hasn't been in the tournament in a few years.  He also stated that all kids care about is winning and none of the care about school tradition or history, they are all just care about "who is winning now."  I find it funny now that we got Babb, he comes on here and says that we should be getting all top 75 recruits now if we want to win.  But accordingly to his logic we shouldn't get good recruits at all because our team has not been to the tournament in a while.

Good commentary.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on August 10, 2013, 03:31:55 pm
Yes!! His Mizzou team that ran over Memphis to the elite eight also didn't have "impact" players.
Don't get me started on his Uab team that knocked out number one Kentucky.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on August 10, 2013, 03:35:53 pm

My favorite is when he said Babb isn't an impact recruit, we need to sign Top 100 players. Then I go to ESPN and see Beard and Thompson are Top 100 players. Weird...

Pork Twain

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 10, 2013, 03:43:28 pm
My favorite is when he said Babb isn't an impact recruit, we need to sign Top 100 players. Then I go to ESPN and see Beard and Thompson are Top 100 players. Weird...

How can you look at this and not be excited as a hog fan.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2014

People said CMA needed to get a PG with this class, what does he do, he goes and gets a top 100 pg and best player in the state.  Oh did i mention he was committed to our RIVALS in Mizzou, but we got him to be a hog.

Next, they say we don't have any shooters we need people to play off of Portis, Kingsley, and Harris, CMA goes and get a kid that's not only a knock down shooter, but top 150 player, and lock down defender in Babb.

And he signed the best big man in the state, just for insurance on the front line as well.

I don't understand how anybody could even put together a rational argument against the staff's recruiting right now.

Hollywood_HOGan45

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2013, 01:21:55 pm
Not a "Mike-hater," but Babb isn't exactly a top 50 recruit either. Keep it real. Glad he committed, but we need to continue to land impact players like Portis and Kingsley that are in the top 75 range if we want to be a perennial postseason team for years to come. We're not there yet.
Top 150 player and at a position of need but this is your response. Oh well your response would have been much more degrading had CMA not gotten Babbs commitment. I like that as the thread progressed you went from top 50 and slowly down to top 150. Babb is a very good sign for this staff and may not be a McDonald's All American but neither was guys like Qualls and Bell who at different times last year won games for us as true freshmen.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 10, 2013, 03:43:28 pm
I know, right.

WilsonHog

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 10, 2013, 04:00:27 pm
Stop the piss fight or hit the door.

Thank you.

Back to Babb, nice pick up in a spot we need players.