Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jonathon Williams signed by Broncos for practice squad

Started by gchamblee, September 06, 2017, 12:38:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Wildhog

Terrible situation for making an active roster, but they're paying him well.  Above the league minimum.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 12:39:18 pm
Terrible situation for making an active roster, but they're paying him well.  Above the league minimum.

I think he will take advantage of the opportunity. He seems like the kind of young man that will turn some heads if given the opportunity. I think he just got lost in the mix of a crowded backfield at Buffalo.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 12:41:37 pm
I think he will take advantage of the opportunity. He seems like the kind of young man that will turn some heads if given the opportunity. I think he just got lost in the mix of a crowded backfield at Buffalo.

The backfield is WAY more crowded in Denver than it was in Buffalo.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 12:42:07 pm
The backfield is WAY more crowded in Denver than it was in Buffalo.

Which is more impressive that they wanted him on their practice squad. Elway is no idiot when it comes to talent evaluation.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 12:43:26 pm
Which is more impressive that they wanted him on their practice squad. Elway is no idiot when it comes to talent evaluation.

Are we arguing?  I don't even know.

JWill went from #2 on the depth chart to a practice squad.  It's obviously a worse situation for making an active roster.  I'm just glad he's making a good living playing football.  He deserves it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

They gave him 500k to be on the practice team. There is no way he doesn't crack the roster of the team. Elway must see something in him.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 12:45:20 pm
Are we arguing?  I don't even know.

JWill went from #2 on the depth chart to a practice squad.  It's obviously a worse situation for making an active roster.  I'm just glad he's making a good living playing football.  He deserves it.

lol no we arent arguing. you know i respect your opinion even when we disagree.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 12:45:24 pm
They gave him 500k to be on the practice team. There is no way he doesn't crack the roster of the team. Elway must see something in him.

Are they going to carry five RB's on the active roster?
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 12:46:40 pm

Now you are asking questions I can't answer. My NFL knowledge is pretty pedestrian.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 12:46:40 pm

This tellms me they plan to use Jamal Charles regularly in rotation and are hedging their bets against his nearly inevitable season ending injury in game 4.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Buffalo had zero on the field reasons to cut Jonathan. This was a baffling move on their part. 

Wildhog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 06, 2017, 01:06:50 pm
This tellms me they plan to use Jamal Charles regularly in rotation and are hedging their bets against his nearly inevitable season ending injury in game 4.

Yeah, I'm very curious to see how the reps are split in that backfield.  I have CJ Anderson in one of my leagues.
1909/1964/1965/1977

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 01:13:30 pm
Yeah, I'm very curious to see how the reps are split in that backfield.  I have CJ Anderson in one of my leagues.

I took Charles very late and got mocked

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 06, 2017, 01:08:30 pm
Buffalo had zero on the field reasons to cut Jonathan. This was a baffling move on their part. 

I haven't read any NFL news lately (regarding the Hogs...just what I've seen here). But since camp started, all I heard were really good things about JW in Buffalo. Not 'pretty good' stuff, but 'great' things—so said some of their publications. Yeah, what happened?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

gchamblee

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 06, 2017, 02:41:04 pm
I haven't read any NFL news lately (regarding the Hogs...just what I've seen here). But since camp started, all I heard were really good things about JW in Buffalo. Not 'pretty good' stuff, but 'great' things—so said some of their publications. Yeah, what happened?

Most everyone reporting on this is framing it as a head scratcher. Denver is paying him a lot of money for a practice squad, and Buffalo had no good reason to release him. It seems weird, but I hope its a great situation for JW. Imagine 2 top AFC teams having multiple Hogs on their roster. AJ Derby is having success at Denver as well.

k.c.hawg

Very seldom does an NFL team pay a player they claim full league minimum for a practice squad slot. He got the league minimum for a 2nd year player minus this years pro rated bonus he received from Buffalo. After looking it up he is the highest paid player in practice squad history. You don't pay that if you believe in the 5 RB's you have on your roster. Someone is getting the good bye look when Williams gets up to speed.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

razobak

The best possible reason I've heard for Buffalo releasing JWill is that they are actively tanking for draft picks. JWill wasn't expensive, he's on year 2 or 3 of his rookie contract, and he was due to give LeSean McCoy a capable backup in the backfield. Now, they have a bunch of nobodies backing up McCoy, and I believe they will be worse for it. Which I think is their goal. Languishing in years of 6-10 and 7-9 seasons like they have done for a long time is getting them nowhere.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 12:39:18 pm

Does being on the practice squad still you get you tenure for retirement, insurance, pension, etc?  If so, it's a great place to be for making league minimum while assuming he will be one of the top pick ups after a few drop with injuries like happens every year.

3kgthog

There's got to be more to this story than Buffalo tanking. He went for DAYS without being picked up while BA was grabbed in less than 24 hrs. I realize QBs are more valued, but BA has more limited appearances to evaulate compared to JWill.

hawkhawg

I haven't been following Denver but I know they have a ton of backs.  Who is leading the pack?

Wildhog

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 06, 2017, 03:24:06 pm
I haven't been following Denver but I know they have a ton of backs.  Who is leading the pack?

CJ Anderson and Jamaal Charles should split most of the work.  They've also got a couple of good young backs in Henderson and Booker.
1909/1964/1965/1977

a0ashle

The whole situation is strange. A good #2 to practice squad? My only guess is that the practice squad is just a place for him to get up to speed before he takes a roster spot. They really like their top 3 here, I'll listen to local sports guys to see what they say.

bennyl08

Buffalo's released reason was special teams. Their other backups played on special teams and JWill didn't.

However, it isn't like it was close and special teams was a tie breaker. JWill was #2 and everybody else a distant third.

The HC asked if there were any off the field concerns given the complete lack of on field concerns and the coach said absolutely not. IIRC, JWill did have the DUI early last year, but that's the only thing.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 06, 2017, 03:42:43 pm
Buffalo's released reason was special teams. Their other backups played on special teams and JWill didn't.

However, it isn't like it was close and special teams was a tie breaker. JWill was #2 and everybody else a distant third.

The HC asked if there were any off the field concerns given the complete lack of on field concerns and the coach said absolutely not. IIRC, JWill did have the DUI early last year, but that's the only thing.

Additionally I think Williams was acquitted on that DUI charge iirc so even that concern should have been lowered you would think

gchamblee

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 06, 2017, 03:45:07 pm
Additionally I think Williams was acquitted on that DUI charge iirc so even that concern should have been lowered you would think

He was. It never made it to court.

TexHog188

Are players on the practice squad eligible to be signed by other teams?  Or must there be a trade involved?
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

bennyl08

Quote from: TexHog188 on September 06, 2017, 07:55:52 pm
Are players on the practice squad eligible to be signed by other teams?  Or must there be a trade involved?

Teams get the chance to make a better offer first.

However, yeah, you can sign off of anyone's practice squad. IIRC, Kiero was bought off of one practice squad and onto another before later being activated to the 53 man roster.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: TexHog188 on September 06, 2017, 07:55:52 pm

Which is why the amount Denver is paying him is so significant, it means they intend to keep him.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 06, 2017, 11:43:13 pm
Which is why the amount Denver is paying him is so significant, it means they intend to keep him.

"shelf life" of an average NFL running back is not long - hope he cashes in