Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Under the Radar Players That Could Contribute for A-State in 2017

Started by Seminole Indian, July 31, 2017, 10:06:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Blake Anderson has stated that solid recruiting the last few years has left A-State in good shape for 2017, which means some talented players might be overlooked. Here are a few such players that might not be getting the attention some of the other players at their position have been getting, but could end up making a positive contribution in 2017.

2*,Kyle Martin (5-9, 175) SR, DBC- late addition last year who played sparingly , but could crack the 2-deep a corner.

3*, A.J. Cayetano (5-10, 180),FR, DBC-true freshman that has impressed the coaches.

2*,William Bradley-King(6-4,240),FR-R,DE- a  big-time track athletes that is showing he can play football, and could challenge  for spot on two deep.

2*,Jarrod Chandler (6-2, 225),JR, DE-Nephew of former A-State great Jon Bradley, looks to finally contribute.

3*,Christian Howard(6-2,275),JR,DLT- late addition who  was denied admission to Colorado State because of a "D" in a JC class, could crack the 2-deep.

3*, Javier Carbonell(6-2,297),SO,DLT- after missing his Sr year in HS, then moving  from DE to inside in college, it looks like he could contribute.

3*, Tajhea Chambers(6-2,246),SO,LB- gifted athlete who  looks to be returning to form after suffering a season ending injury against Missouri in 2015. Should be a major contributor.

3*, Kirk Louis(6-2,230),SO,LB- sold run stopper, who should earn pt.

2*, Chase Johnson(6-4,300),JR,OLC- former Memphis player, can play several positions on the line.

2*,Jamal Fontenot(6-4,302),JR,OLG- seems to have  overcome the  back injury that has held him back and could push for starting job.

3*,Klint Harvey(6-6,330),SO,OLG- the former Razorback walk-on has made steady progress and could earn a scholarship, and end up in the 2-deep.

3*, Cam Davis (6-4,303),SO,OLT- son for former Razorback Isaac Davis, is making a strong push to make the 2-deep.

3*,Armond Weh Weh (5-11,225),JR,RB- after  suffering a season ending injury against Auburn, is 100% healthy and his size and 4.4 speed could earn  him considerable playing time.

3*,Jamal Jones(5-9,185),SO,RB- talented with the ball in his hands, beginning to show enough progress in blocking that the coaches feel he can contribute.

3*,Avery Johnson(6-1,233),SO,TE- talented athlete who could push for a spot on the 2-deep.

3*,Kendrick Edwards II(6-6,215),JR,WR- physically gifted  Razorback transfer  who the coaches feel has made great progress in his mental approach to the game.

3*,Chauncey Mason(5-9,190),SO,WRAB- talented brother of former Auburn  star Tre Mason, could make the 2-deep at AB, or could help at RB if needed.

3*,Darveon Brown(5-10,175),SO,WRAB- explosive athlete that has improved enough in the pass catching department to contribute at the AB.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

DE William Bradley-King, DL Javier Carbonell, RB Jamal Jones, TE Avery Johnson, AB Darveon Brown, WR Kendrick Edwards, and safety Demari Medley ( a late addition to the roster I failed to list in my previous post) all played very well in their scrimmage Saturday, and all made big plays. 

JC transfer Josh Curry, a 6-2, 315lb NG, probably should have been on the list, also played well.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

In an interview on 95.3 The Ticked A-State OC Buster Faulkner noted several players on my list above as standing out in fall camp.

At receiver he mentioned Fr Jonathan Adams (6-3, 185)  Jr, Razorback transfer Jr Kendrick Edwards II (6-5, 215) and So TE Avery Johnson
(6-1, 233).

Said RB So Jamal Jones (5-9, 185) has probably impressed as much as anyone.

They already had All-SBC caliber starters, and quality backups at WR, TE and RB.

http://953theticket.com/the-drive-interview-with-buster-faulkner/

While not on my list he did mention three players on the critical OL as standing out. Tackle Lanard Bonner (6-5,330), Sr Grad Transfer Tackle Jaypee Philbert (6-5, 315) and Fr Center Jacob Still (6-1, 293). 

Not surprised by Bonner or Philbert because Bonner was considered the best offensive lineman on the team while sitting out last year, and the coaches said they did not recruit the talented Philbert to sit on the bench.

Still has been the biggest surprise, and although his dad was an All-American center at Tennessee, and brother just finished up as the starting center at Ole Miss, don't think anyone realized how good he was. They had brought in a JC Center at mid-term, and I think he was expected to have the best shot at starting. Still was undersized out of HS but is around 300 now, and is very physical, very smart, and according to the coaches has a "nasty" disposition. Knows the position inside and out, and is one of the leaders on the offense as a RS-Fr.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.