Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next basketball season concerning the "celebration" after a win at home...

Started by Lando Calrissian, March 12, 2005, 03:21:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lando Calrissian

...are our players still going to jump in the crowd after beating Lipscomb and the like?

I love the hell out of the "Oh lord it's so hard to be humble" tradition, even though it's not really that old (about 2 decades I think), but having the players hop in the crowd after winning EVERY SINGLE game is just silly.

Really.

Think about it for a second.

Even if this team (or any team for that matter) won 25 games and everybody in the state loved them, just think about how ridiculous it is for the entire team & coaching staff to hop into the crowd and dance around with the fans after the game.

Is this me making a big deal out of nothing?  Probably.

Is the entire team hopping into the bleachers after beating Auburn at home making something out of nothing?  Duh.

Is this one of the mental changes Heath is refering to?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

Let's face it, celebrating after beating a team you're SUPPOSED to beat isn't much of a celebration.

Prove you can win.  Regularly.  Then celebrate.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

SardisHog

Let them celebrate any win. This is college ball they deserve the chance to be happy, even with bad coaching. BTW FIRE Stan.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

mikeirwin

Quote from: SardisHog on March 12, 2005, 07:55:41 am
Let them celebrate any win. This is college ball they deserve the chance to be happy, even with bad coaching. BTW FIRE Stan.
What else are they gonna do ? The players going into the crowd thing was Heath's answer to Sleepy Slive's stupid rule about the crowd not coming onto the floor. Plan A is a better deal but plan A costs the school 50,000 bucks.

Kevin

why are we celebrating anything with this program.  act like you have won before.  oh, i forgot, this program has not won a meaningful game.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Macgyver_Hawg

I vote to change the celebration.  The players look so uncomfortable singing and swaying.

Change the song to Chic's Le Freak or something.

hawgfan_18

Sounds like that would help with making this BBall team more of a team, by having them celebrate with the fans together, and i think the fans get enjoyment out of that also, which helps with fan support.

Lando Calrissian

I just have a hard time believing that jumping into the stands after beating Lipscomb would help bring a team "together."

It's one of those old cliche's:  Act like you've been there before.

We, as fans, have been there before, so the whole "Let the players rush the stands because the fans get fined for rushing the court" argument is moot.

I'm thinking back here, and I don't recall one single instance of fans rushing the court after a win during the '94 AND '95 championship-game seasons.

It is a poor attempt to manufacture something that SHOULD be spontaneous. 
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

heathshogs

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 12, 2005, 08:08:47 am
Quote from: SardisHog on March 12, 2005, 07:55:41 am
What else are they gonna do ? The players going into the crowd thing was Heath's answer to Sleepy Slive's stupid rule about the crowd not coming onto the floor. Plan A is a better deal but plan A costs the school 50,000 bucks.

Mike has this dead on. When Slive decided to implement this rule about fines for rushing the court, the athletic department gathered a group of students from those that are always on the front row at basketball to meet with several  department officials. Basically, they explained how the rule would work and talked about extra security measures which would be put in place to help prevent it. BWA having only been rushed twice (Auburn 1999 and the Florida game 3 years ago which really wasn't much of a rush anyway), they UA athletic department wasn't too concerned but mainly just wanted to make the students aware of the penalties and get any input on how to make things better. Furthermore in this meeting, they wanted to address concerns over dwindling student interest in the program. One of the things that was brought up is that many students just don't feel a connection with the players. It was noted that the football team sings the fight song with the studetnts following victories, and it was mentioned that Dean, Gipson, etc in their final year jumped into the crowed following their final home game victory. The athletic department discussed the idea of getting the players out to the students. They discussed going around to frats and sororities before next season to drum up support. I don't know if that will happen, but this is one thing that did come from the meeting is the players joining the student section in singing humble. It hopefully would help 2 problems the students getting connected with the players and with no athletes on the court the students have no reason to rush.     
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious