Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan - back in the game - in the Big 12? (Article)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, February 21, 2006, 11:33:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

othermac

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 21, 2006, 03:02:16 pm
Wrong!!!!!!!!!  If Nolan won't a job he would be coaching today. 

Quote from: mikeirwin on February 21, 2006, 02:37:48 pm
The only way he'd get hired is to sign a basketball version of a pre-nupt. He'd have to promise not to sue if he got canned.
Even then I'm not sure anybody would hire him.
He never understood that he was one helluva coach and he didn't need to defend himself to anyone. Just coach, win games and talk basketball.
No school is going to let their coach get up in front of the national media and say his boss sucks, his job sucks and the fans suck.
It's like paying an ad agency good money to tell people your product stinks.
Insane.

in that article,he sounds to me like a guy that wants a job,he also sounds like he is still bemoaning the black coach's plight.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

stan the man

what about coaching at Grambling,  shouldn't have a racial problem there

aldyua

Nolan would be a success anywhere we would coach especially in the Big 12.  The only problem is that wherever he coaches Arkansas will never give him the respect he deserves.  Somehow everything seemed so positive four years ago but now  today our program is in worse shape than it was when Nolan was coaching "racist comments or not"  Nolan does carry a lot of backage but who cares if we are winning.

MarieHogFan

Quote from: ConwayHog on February 21, 2006, 12:06:58 pm
Nolan is just doing this so he can keep collecting his checks from the UofA.

We have a winner!

Nolan was burned out 3 years before he was asked to leave.  At 60+ he has no desire to start begging 18 year old kids to come play for him.  He just makes statements like these every so often because he's supposed to be looking for another coaching job under the guidelines of his contract's dismissal settlement.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hardwork321

You don't take back the truth.

Quote from: JJHog on February 21, 2006, 02:43:48 pm
will he ever get it? never took responsibility for saying what he said--that's what got your fired!

Hardwork321

You people act as if there could never be any wrong doing in NWA!!

hogtheball

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 21, 2006, 03:18:25 pm
You don't take back the truth.

will he ever get it? never took responsibility for saying what he said--that's what got your fired!

Hardwork321!  Hey buddy, if you're still around - I'll challenge you with a question....  Name five white athletes (football or basketball or both - pro or college) you think were great.  Also, name a single white coach you would be proud for your kids to play for.   I don't think you have it in you. Prove me wrong...
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsanity

IT might have been harsher on Nolan to try to make him STAY.  Kind of like in the 70's, if you were a baseball player and your owner did not like you, they dealt you to Cleveland.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WILL CLINTON

When I read that article, I don't think he was talking about arkansas.  I think he meant the college basketball world as a whole. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2006, 03:24:12 pm
IT might have been harsher on Nolan to try to make him STAY.  Kind of like in the 70's, if you were a baseball player and your owner did not like you, they dealt you to Cleveland.

We could have only been so lucky. 

hogtheball

Can you imagine that job interview.  "So, Nolan, it says here on your resume that you left your last job because of differences with your employer....what sorts of differences?  Also, I notice that you left the phone number of your previous employer blank - I need that number so I can call for references."
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsanity

Right, No Ronnie BRewer, Iggy would have stayed one, 2 yrs tops.  Iggy was the exception to the recruiting trend after 96.  For every one of him we got 3 Teddy Gipsons and Carl Bakers and Dioniso GOmez. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 21, 2006, 03:20:34 pm

Didn't you already know that?  It was ok for the administration to use racial slurs, racial comments, tell racial jokes.  He was the only problem, and was imagining the racism going on up there. 

RazorbackRon

You People ?   

You are the one who seems to forget that Nolan was the one who said "If they go ahead and pay me my money, they can take the job tomorrow".   

You are the one who seems to forget Nolan's statement about "If I was white and I did what I've done here, they'd build statues to me. ... Eddie Sutton did the same thing here and he became God".

You are the one who seems to forget what Nolan told White about "You'll have to have tanks in the parking lots."

Who is the racist here ?  Racism can go both ways and Nolan showed his side of it and will never be forgiven for it.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

hogsNbeer

Who the HELL would want him as a HEAD COACH?  Once he's there, he's there for LIFE because you couldnt' fire him...

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogtheball on February 21, 2006, 03:26:45 pm
Can you imagine that job interview.  "So, Nolan, it says here on your resume that you left your last job because of differences with your employer....what sorts of differences?  Also, I notice that you left the phone number of your previous employer blank - I need that number so I can call for references."
I can give them that number 1-888-KKK-HOME. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: RazorbackRon on February 21, 2006, 03:32:25 pm

You People ?   

You are the one who seems to forget that Nolan was the one who said "If they go ahead and pay me my money, they can take the job tomorrow".   

You are the one who seems to forget Nolan's statement about "If I was white and I did what I've done here, they'd build statues to me. ... Eddie Sutton did the same thing here and he became God".

You are the one who seems to forget what Nolan told White about "You'll have to have tanks in the parking lots."

Who is the racist here ?  Racism can go both ways and Nolan showed his side of it and will never be forgiven for it.

I don't think that anyone is saying Nolan isn't a racist, it's just that people seem to want to not acknowledge that Half of the administration is also, and pushed him to his limit.  To me, as a white male, I find nothing offensive about being called a cracker or honkey, I think it's funny.  And most of the white people I know do also.  But I don't know any of my black friends, and I have plenty, one is my baby's godfather, who find the n word the least bit amusing. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 21, 2006, 03:33:21 pm
Who the HELL would want him as a HEAD COACH?  Once he's there, he's there for LIFE because you couldnt' fire him...

Yeah, you're right.  Who in their right mind would want someone who won 2 national titles (jr. college and ncaa), went to 3 Final fours, and won a NIT championship? Or someone who averaged a 23-9 record over 17 years as a coach.  They'd be stupid to want that. 

J.A.Y.

There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

Ish O

The only way he'd get hired is to sign a basketball version of a pre-nupt. He'd have to promise not to sue if he got canned.
He never understood that he was one helluva coach and he didn't need to defend himself to anyone. Just coach, win games and talk basketball.
No school is going to let their coach get up in front of the national media and say his boss sucks, his job sucks and the fans suck.
Insane.

Good points. But I'm am at the point where the HC can call me a redneck and a turd any time he wants as long as he's winning SEC championships, National Championships and the OTHER teams fans storm the court after beating the Hogs in an upset.

PigPusher

Hey Nolan with you mouthing off to the press like you were just what did you expect from the University.  You built your own gallows my friend.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2006, 03:28:30 pm
Right, No Ronnie BRewer, Iggy would have stayed one, 2 yrs tops.  Iggy was the exception to the recruiting trend after 96.  For every one of him we got 3 Teddy Gipsons and Carl Bakers and Dioniso GOmez. 

Didn't those guys win our only SEC tournament championship?  I know Carl Baker was on it.  I would trade Ronnie Brewer for Iggy any day of the week and 2 times on Sundays. 

WILL CLINTON

Yeah, but since when do they kill the builder?  Someone else put the rope around his neck and pulled the lever. 

12under

he is a good guy and a great coach, but when i'm 60-something years old you are not going to be able to change my mind about anything either

PigPusher

Quote from: dubyacee on February 21, 2006, 03:46:11 pm
Yeah, but since when do they kill the builder?  Someone else put the rope around his neck and pulled the lever. 

So I guess you remember what happened and have an opinion as to what should have been done.  Will you share it with us?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Hardwork321

lyon98

Quote from: aldyua on February 21, 2006, 03:09:42 pm
Nolan would be a success anywhere we would coach especially in the Big 12.  The only problem is that wherever he coaches Arkansas will never give him the respect he deserves.  Somehow everything seemed so positive four years ago but now  today our program is in worse shape than it was when Nolan was coaching "racist comments or not"  Nolan does carry a lot of backage but who cares if we are winning.

Nolan would not be a successful coach anywhere unless he got over the notion he could select and not recruit. Another problem would be if he took the gunslinger with him, who said he didn't have any experience in recruiting at Arkansas, they selected. His record at TN State showed that.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

hogsanity

good that means he would have left after the 03-04 season, and the last 2 years would have seen no Brewer either. 

hogsanity

Quote from: dubyacee on February 21, 2006, 03:44:48 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2006, 03:28:30 pm

Didn't those guys win our only SEC tournament championship?  I know Carl Baker was on it.  I would trade Ronnie Brewer for Iggy any day of the week and 2 times on Sundays. 

I think those guys had someone named Joe Johnson on their team as well.

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

othermac

February 21, 2006, 03:55:55 pm #81 Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:02:57 pm by othermac
Quote from: Ish O on February 21, 2006, 03:44:11 pm
Insane.

Good points. But I'm am at the point where the HC can call me a redneck and a turd any time he wants as long as he's winning SEC championships, National Championships and the OTHER teams fans storm the court after beating the Hogs in an upset.

not me, there are too many other coaches out there that can win and then not feel you should bow down to them becasue they won a basketball game, i would rather hold out for the one that is all around top shelf.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

WILL CLINTON

I didn't get to see the original interview that his comments were taken from, so I really can't speak to what was and wasn't said.  I did hear the comment that was run on every national sports show for about 3 days.  i believe that it was coming from a frustrated man who was as used to winning as we were and didn't enjoy losing.  Rick the sunshine pumper has said many many times that that comment was taken out of context and it wasn't meant that way.  Normally I try to not listen to what he has to say, but when he is actually defending someone whose name doesn't end with broyles, lindsey or nutt, I will listen.  As far as I am concerned, he was pushed to the limit by his employers who under oath, admitted to telling racially motivated jokes, and using racial slurs.  Also, if you are winning, who cares?  I had rather win than have what we have there now, no matter how classy, or good he is.  Just like the salesman who sells $1 million of product a year isn't going to be fired as long as he is producing.  yes I realize that Nolan's production had fallen off for the last 2 or 3 years, but everyone does.  Every program has a decline, Even Duke.  If he couldn't have gotten the ship right in 2 more years, then it's time for him to go. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: othermac on February 21, 2006, 03:55:55 pm
Insane.

not me, there are too many other coaches out there that can win with then not feel you should bow down to them becasue they won a basketball game, i would rather hold out for the one that is all around top shelf.

Sorry, Coach K is not interested in taking another job. 

othermac

Quote from: dubyacee on February 21, 2006, 03:58:15 pm
Quote from: othermac on February 21, 2006, 03:55:55 pm
Insane.

not me, there are too many other coaches out there that can win with then not feel you should bow down to them becasue they won a basketball game, i would rather hold out for the one that is all around top shelf.

Sorry, Coach K is not interested in taking another job. 

you could be right, i am probably just kidding myself.

HawgWyld

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2006, 12:14:27 pm
Well where in the big 12 is he gonna go that isnt just as "racist"  And by racist, I mean schools were they expect you to actually recruit and not say stuff like " give me my money and they can have my job".

That, right there, is the most galling thing about the whole Nolan incident. He absolutely begged to get fired by claiming the college could take his job if they paid him off, popping off about how hard it is for a black kid to get buy in racist ol' Fayetteville and etc. Then, after he was canned, he filed a blasted discrimination lawsuit. Huh?

It's a darned shame Nolan Richardson -- the only coach to bring up an NCAA championship in basketball -- parted ways with the UA like he did.

PigPusher

I did see the interview and he went way over the top. If his feelings were hurt over something was said about his race then he should have dealt with that privately. His public tirade is what did it.

I find it hard to believe anyone was making racial remarks about him not to mention to his face.  You just don't see that kind of thing very much.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: dubyacee on February 21, 2006, 03:39:04 pm
Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 21, 2006, 03:33:21 pm

Yeah, you're right.  Who in their right mind would want someone who won 2 national titles (jr. college and ncaa), went to 3 Final fours, and won a NIT championship? Or someone who averaged a 23-9 record over 17 years as a coach.  They'd be stupid to want that. 

The one we are referring to......uhhhhh, yes...

MrSpook1352

Ok.  Let's get 1 thing straight.  While there was an admission regarding racial slurs, it was not a case of Broyles calling Nolan or anyone else a racial slur.  He was comparing one type of derogatory term (not a purely racial term) to another (a racial term) - and anyone with any sense knows Broyles wasn't slurring someone himself.  Nolan intentionally tried to make it sound like he was. I cannot stand Broyles - I hated him ever since I met him the first time - but Nolan can't tell the truth.  The truth is that Nolan fell out with Broyles early on for reasons that were not race related and his hatred for Broyles has blinded him. Racism is a problem in Arkansas and elsewhere - but Nolan's rants were out of proportion to the facts.  He saw far more racially motivated enemies than he really had.

JJHog

that was one of the shortcomings with Nolan--everything seemed to be about race with him---always had a chip on his shoulder

I wish someone had asked him --who is the "they" you are referring to? to see whay he would have said.
" Think Right, Do Right"

HogsRule

What the Hell. Like Bobby Knight doesn't get himself in just as much trouble, but he got a job. He didn't have to take a job as an assistant to get another job, why should Nolan. I think he should be considered at any school with an opening.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

HawgWyld

Quote from: HogsRule on February 21, 2006, 04:34:50 pm
What the Hell. Like Bobby Knight doesn't get himself in just as much trouble, but he got a job. He didn't have to take a job as an assistant to get another job, why should Nolan. I think he should be considered at any school with an opening.

Uh, Knight choked a player. Richardson bit the hand that fed him and insulted Razorbacks fans. Are you seriously saying you can't see the difference between what the two did?

hoggystyle78

Bobby Knight is good friends with former BB coach and now Texas Tech AD Gerald Myers. Unless Nolan has a buddy that is an AD somewhere I doubt if he'll be on the sidelines very soon. JMO

tulsahog36

Nolan Richardson give all blacks a "black eye" when he spews his venom.  He is in a situation at Arkansas where he could have stayed as long as he wanted.   He would still be and be adored by the fans if he had just (1) kept making recruiting a proirity after 96 and (2) and learned what my mom taught me; "if you aint got nothin nice to say shut the he!! up".   His last two years at Akansas he didn't take the team to the NCAA's, the fans were growing restless, and Nolan thought it was because of his skin color.   Nutt hasnt won in two years, and the fans have done a 180 on him.   Losing has nothing to with skin color.   The fans would support a 3 legged mutant from Mars if he produced winners.   As a black man I am very disapointed in Nolan, he could have done so much to open doors for other black coaches.   Not saying he didn't do anything positive,but he had such a great chance to be a true role model and mentor for other young black coachs.   Now He is a just a joke. 

silvertip

Quote from: ShortHog on February 21, 2006, 12:09:47 pm
I dont know, I could see Missouri taking a chance on him. Their fans have to be getting desparate at this point for a proven winner.

I have lived & worked in MO. They are not THAT stupid.

HogsRule

Quote from: HawgWyld on February 21, 2006, 04:39:25 pm
Quote from: HogsRule on February 21, 2006, 04:34:50 pm

Uh, Knight choked a player. Richardson bit the hand that fed him and insulted Razorbacks fans. Are you seriously saying you can't see the difference between what the two did?

The only people he insulted were redneck racists. as long as you aren't one of them he wasn't talking to you.

Are you seriously saying that Knight physically assaulting his players (and fans) is ok, but Nolan questioning the environment in which he coaches is worse?
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: DickSonstreetDFW on February 21, 2006, 04:58:19 pm

I don't think that anyone is saying Nolan isn't a racist, it's just that people seem to want to not acknowledge that Half of the administration is also, and pushed him to his limit.  To me, as a white male, I find nothing offensive about being called a cracker or honkey, I think it's funny.  And most of the white people I know do also.  But I don't know any of my black friends, and I have plenty, one is my baby's godfather, who find the n word the least bit amusing. 
[/quote]

So Nolan is a racist, but he has a good reason for it?

Oh, and btw, congratulations on your black friends, cracker.

[/quote]

Wasn't looking for congratulations, but thanks.  Living in the deep south, I love the fact that I piss people off just by having black friends, honkey. 

HogDodging

Nobody is going to hire Nolan.  Talk about baggage.  He's got a train load.
He plays the race card whenever things don't go his way.  Who wants to put up with that?
He needs to figure out how to quit falling out of bed and just ride his horse into the sunset.

94 Hawg

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

The real Hogules

He has a way of saying exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time, doesn't he?
That's NOT exactly how I would have went about trying to seek employment in the Big 12.
Some of those quotes were just plain stupid to make if you're serious about finding a HC'ing job in that league!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!