Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is Stan Heath thinking?

Started by batmanfan, August 22, 2005, 05:45:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

Retard.
So basically we signed a guy who is a question mark academically and on the court?  Great move Heath with such a great 06 class!

http://www.hogwired.com/tablestory.asp?Home_ID=1&Story_ID=7170

So now we have wasted a schollie on McBride, along with one on Gary Ervin.  Boy Stan Heath is over his head! 
Man, its gonna be another long year in Arkansas sports.

BAT
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Jim Harris

Quote from: batmanfan on August 22, 2005, 05:45:24 pm
Retard.
So basically we signed a guy who is a question mark academically and on the court? Great move Heath with such a great 06 class!

http://www.hogwired.com/tablestory.asp?Home_ID=1&Story_ID=7170

So now we have wasted a schollie on McBride, along with one on Gary Ervin. Boy Stan Heath is over his head!
Man, its gonna be another long year in Arkansas sports.

BAT

Batman, I couldn't agree more. Heath is starting to sound like Nutt in is equivocation of what's going on with recruiting these guys. They "knew he wouldn't be  eligible the first semester? Glad that was reported when he signed. Oh wait, that wasn't reported, was it?

After they get their clocked cleaned in Maui and hopefully edge out Chaminade for seventh place, and drop a few more in December, maybe they'll rethink the need for an outside shooter during January, which of course is the most important part of the schedule anyway.

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Extra Point

Hey, bonehead....

He graduated from Monterrey just fine.  Speculation is he did not have the 40% which has NOTHING to do with grades.

It was not until recently redshirting became an option.  NEVER an issue when recruited.

Go back in the closet, batboy.

tophawg19

he didn't qualify academically . what do you mean he was fine when he graduated ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Extra Point

August 22, 2005, 08:23:22 pm #4 Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:28:05 pm by Extra Point
Quote from: tophawg19 on August 22, 2005, 08:21:49 pm
he didn't qualify academically . what do you mean he was fine when he graduated ?

Qualifying as a JC transfer is more complicated than just passing classes.  Stop and think that the SEC requirements for eligibility may be different than graduating from Monterey.  He did complete his work fine for JC standards, but not SEC/AR standards.

HeathHateMe

August 22, 2005, 08:30:57 pm #5 Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:34:42 pm by HeathHateMe
If you want to argue semantics fine.  The bottom line is the dude couldn't play until 2nd semester at the earliest because of academics, whether it be grades, course work completed, etc., SEC, or AR standards, which by the way haven't been changed all of the sudden, he still can't play, and Heath has decided that instead of playing the kid 1/2 a year this year and a full year the next, he will red shirt, and get 2 full years out of him.  So it is a wasted scholarship as far as this year is concerned.

There are guys that Heath has run off that would contribute more than a dead scholarship sitting on the bench.  K Davis and R Sullivan for two.

It has become obvious that Heath is not the guy to turn the program around.  The year to year improvement has been incremental at best and some of it comes from the fact that any group of guys that plays together should improve from one year to the next.

The little things like Olu leaving, and this kid redshirting say alot.

A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

tophawg19

agreed there is a problem on the hill .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Fletch

I still think we will be pretty good.
I feel like $100

HeathHateMe

Great point.  For whatever reason Stan doesn't seem to have the ability to get the guys to dig down and give that extra effort when the chips are down.  So when these guys feel beat and just can't take it any more whether it be at the end of a game or the end of a season they just give out.  It's human nature.  It's the coaches job to help them overcome that.

I think this spills over to the fans.  What has Stan done to rally the fans, and get them solidly behind him and the program.  Nothing.  Where is the win that shouldn't have been.
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

Extra Point

Quote from: HeathHateMe on August 22, 2005, 08:30:57 pm
If you want to argue semantics fine.  The bottom line is the dude couldn't play until 2nd semester at the earliest because of academics, whether it be grades, course work completed, etc., SEC, or AR standards, which by the way haven't been changed all of the sudden, he still can't play, and Heath has decided that instead of playing the kid 1/2 a year this year and a full year the next, he will red shirt, and get 2 full years out of him.  So it is a wasted scholarship as far as this year is concerned.

There are guys that Heath has run off that would contribute more than a dead scholarship sitting on the bench.  K Davis and R Sullivan for two.

It has become obvious that Heath is not the guy to turn the program around.  The year to year improvement has been incremental at best and some of it comes from the fact that any group of guys that plays together should improve from one year to the next.

The little things like Olu leaving, and this kid redshirting say alot.

If you followed recruiting like I do, you would know that Stan NEVER intended to use all the schollies available for the '05 class.  Given we were only losing one player (Mike Jones) and there are so many quality recruits interested in us for the '06 class, there would be idle schollies.  So your criticisms are completely inaccurate.

Given Modica was severely underperforming and Olu never turned the corner after surgery, Heath decided to use another schollie.  Therefore, VERY late in the game, McBride was signed.  That is NOT a wasted scholarship.  Fortunately, Modica is back in form based on this summer's play and Hunter is another shooter we are adding.  Also, McCurdy has been deadly from the outside this summer.

If you honestly think Davis or Sullivan would fill an outside shooting role for our team, you need to read up on the sport and/or our team.  They would see VERY limited playing time and take up schollies that recruits are now vying to fill.

All I can say is based on your post, it is a good thing you are not running the program.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 22, 2005, 09:10:32 pm
It should not have taken anyone this long to realize Stan Heath is not equipped to run a D-1 program. All these great new players that are supposed to come in and turn the corner for us this year are vaporizing before your eyes. Drake is absolutely right on the money. We MAY have a shot at beating Chaminade in Hawaii, but I'm afraid after the beatings that will be administered to us by the Big Boys, this group of quitters may just quit on Stan before they even get back to the main land.

Folks, don't expect much more than 14 wins this year. Not only is the coaching atrocious on the court, but Heath can't even get any of these recruits onto campus. What a *** mess.

WOW, one late signing redshirts and all of the sudden Heath has NO ONE coming to campus?  Now there's logic for you.

Again, another poster who has done little or no research on this team or our competition this year.

Extra Point

Quote from: HeathHateMe on August 22, 2005, 09:16:21 pm
I think this spills over to the fans. What has Stan done to rally the fans, and get them solidly behind him and the program. Nothing. Where is the win that shouldn't have been.

We have many fans that openly admit they leave early, winning or losing, to get a head start on traffic.  They did this under NR and they will do it after Heath.  Face it, we have a lot of sucky fans.  Frankly, fans have been given exactly what they have given back, a half azz effort at best.

Tomhog™

August 22, 2005, 10:17:04 pm #12 Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:19:12 pm by Tomcat
Stan's attributes from what I've seen:
Recruiting - A
Coaching - C
Motivator - D

We return all of our key players from last year and add two more to the team this season.  I think we will do better this year than 14 wins...

Extra Point

Quote from: Tomcat on August 22, 2005, 10:17:04 pm
Stan's attributes from what I've seen:
Recruiting - A
Coaching - C
Motivator - D

If we hit any of those last second shot to beat UK, MSU, Bama or LSU over the last 2 seasons, his grades would be higher.  Fine line there.

As for motivating, both Ronnie and Pookie have commented this summer they are finally on the same page with Heath.  Besides, the majority of motivation should rest on the shoulders of the individual.  These are kids who have committed enormous time and energy to a sport which now they find themselves unmotivated to play?  I don't think so.

WilsonHog

I'd rather not waste time trying to sort all this nonsense out.

We win 20 and go to March Madness, I'm happy.

If we don't, piss on him. 

Extra Point

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 22, 2005, 10:25:32 pm
I'd rather not waste time trying to sort all this nonsense out.

We win 20 and go to March Madness, I'm happy.

If we don't, piss on him.

As a bottom line, I agree.  I do think we would make the dance with 18 or 19 wins given our RPI.  I don't expect some on here to understand that measure, though.  Just easier to bash Heath.

Hogz87

You all complain about sports being way down at the U of A and this is something I've noticed for a while.  Not that I am this huge U of A fan, never have been.  As long as I can remember the Hogs have been my number two team in basketball and pretty close to #3 in football.  Basketball I've always been a Tar Heel fan, can't get enough of the Heels.  Football the Hokies have always been my favorite team, this will make me even less popular on this board but for some reason I like Texas almost as much as I do Arkansas in football.  Right now the Hogs are still #2 if they have many more years like last and HDN remains at the helm I will lose all respect and love for them.

lunchbox72703

In the words of John Lennon...."Give Heath a chance"

Oh wait, I screwed up.....

lunchbox72703

Ahh Cmon, doesn't Heath's smile make you melt UAGrad95?  Doesn't his smile make you all mushy and warm and fuzzy?  Its gonna be allright, Heath's smile says so!!

hahahahahahah

Mr A Ziffell

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on August 22, 2005, 11:04:54 pm
In the words of John Lennon...."Give Heath a chance"

Oh wait, I screwed up.....

never use those words for a damn coach......Lennon was a great man....look & see.......Imagine there's no loses...NOT!!!!

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 22, 2005, 11:08:59 pm
Quote from: Extra Point on August 22, 2005, 10:09:54 pm
It should not have taken anyone this long to realize Stan Heath is not equipped to run a D-1 program. All these great new players that are supposed to come in and turn the corner for us this year are vaporizing before your eyes. Drake is absolutely right on the money. We MAY have a shot at beating Chaminade in Hawaii, but I'm afraid after the beatings that will be administered to us by the Big Boys, this group of quitters may just quit on Stan before they even get back to the main land.

Folks, don't expect much more than 14 wins this year. Not only is the coaching atrocious on the court, but Heath can't even get any of these recruits onto campus. What a *** mess.

WOW, one late signing redshirts and all of the sudden Heath has NO ONE coming to campus? Now there's logic for you.

Again, another poster who has done little or no research on this team or our competition this year.

It's not just one late recruit not making it to campus. It's Al Jefferson, who Heath wasted time on and held a scholarship for, who everyone knew all along he'd never come to campus. It's Julius Lamptey, who Heath wasted time on and held a scholarship for, knowing all along he'd never have the scores to step foot on a college campus. Now it's this kid who Heath has wasted time on and will not contribute until at least 2006-2007, if he ever contributes at all. See a pattern here?

I don't criticize the guy just to be negative. I comment on what I see happening right before my eyes. We don't have 12 guys on scholarship who belong on a D-1 roster. By a coach's 4th season, we should have the guys to compete, but we keep hearing from the Heath apologists that he's got the studs coming soon. Problem is, the advertised studs turn out to be duds like Famutimi, complete misses as far as evaluation of talent like Dontell Jefferson, or they just don't ever make it to campus. That is not how a good program is built.

Stan Heath is making obviously poor decisions on the court and on the recruiting trail. He is not good at his job. It's obvious in the performance of his teams. He doesn't deserve this season to further ruin Razorback basketball.

I've heard it all now...Heath criticized for recruiting 5 star players!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, guy has put TWO complete recruiting classes on the floor.  Had we held Nolan to your standard, we would NO championship and 3 fewer FF trips.  Like I said, not much research or logic.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 22, 2005, 11:20:21 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 22, 2005, 11:13:33 pm
Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 22, 2005, 11:08:59 pm
Quote from: Extra Point on August 22, 2005, 10:09:54 pm

WOW, one late signing redshirts and all of the sudden Heath has NO ONE coming to campus? Now there's logic for you.

It's not just one late recruit not making it to campus. It's Al Jefferson, who Heath wasted time on and held a scholarship for, who everyone knew all along he'd never come to campus. It's Julius Lamptey, who Heath wasted time on and held a scholarship for, knowing all along he'd never have the scores to step foot on a college campus. Now it's this kid who Heath has wasted time on and will not contribute until at least 2006-2007, if he ever contributes at all. See a pattern here?

I don't criticize the guy just to be negative. I comment on what I see happening right before my eyes. We don't have 12 guys on scholarship who belong on a D-1 roster. By a coach's 4th season, we should have the guys to compete, but we keep hearing from the Heath apologists that he's got the studs coming soon. Problem is, the advertised studs turn out to be duds like Famutimi, complete misses as far as evaluation of talent like Dontell Jefferson, or they just don't ever make it to campus. That is not how a good program is built.

Stan Heath is making obviously poor decisions on the court and on the recruiting trail. He is not good at his job. It's obvious in the performance of his teams. He doesn't deserve this season to further ruin Razorback basketball.

So when Al Jefferson sprains his pinkie toe as a senior and loses some ground he would come to Arkansas. Bunk, man - it was wise to go after him... If one out of three of his caliber ever wear a hog uni then it is worth every minute of recruiting them. Not to mention that if he doesn't become a hog he becomes a rebel.

Nolan wasn't even trying to get Brewer, he was headed elsewhere until Heath saved the day - I call that pretty good last second recruiting and great judge of talent.

Let's talk after this year.

Bacon out...

It's wasted time on someone we all knew would never contribute to our program. Better to concentrate efforts on someone who might stand even a ghost of a chance of contributing.

Brewer is the best player on our team, but I think we may have over-inflated his talent in our minds. I believe we were all fooled by how much better he is than his Razorback teammates. He was so much better than them because they are so terrible. I'm not bashing Ronnie because he's the lone bright spot in that miserable program right now, but he couldn't even make Team USA this summer.

Giving credit where credit is due, Heath did a good job of landing Brewer. I'd hate to see how pathetic Heath's team would be without him.

Did you just realize you said that Hog fans "over-inflated" the talent of the player who will likely be considered the pre-season SEC Player of the Year?  You are freakin' hilarious and have ZERO knowledge of basketball after that comment.

You also have ZERO knowledge of how Team USA basketball works.  The guys chosen as coaches have agendas on who makes the team.  Ronnie was not in their plan, their own guys were.

Gee whiz...I have definitely seen/read it all now.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 22, 2005, 11:26:50 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 22, 2005, 11:17:04 pm
Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 22, 2005, 11:13:45 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 22, 2005, 10:25:29 pm
Last time I looked at the top 100 bball recruits for 2006, I think 15 or so had arkansas listed as a program they were looking at. If some of you guys are going to bash Heath, bash the coaching and the inability to build cohesiveness within the team the last couple of years. I'll give you that. I think recruiting is NOT the problem.

Bacon out...

It's nice to be considered by 15 studs. However, we all know that all 15 of them won't choose us, if any. Being listed by several is nice, but where Heath has had problems is getting the ones who are interested in us and even signed with us to be contributors on the court. I keep hearing about all these studs that Heath has landed, but when the lights come on in BWA, I don't see any of them on the court making things happen.

Well, padnah, they are seniors in high school. They can't be there just yet. Chill out a bit. Nolan left it in shambles and recruited a bunch of guys who didn't want to call anyone boss. With the hardcore assistant in place and some decent middle classmen you have to say this should be a better year. I remember well Nolan's 3rd and 4th years when guys like you were telling the world that he couldn't coach. I remember when we turned the corner and suddenly you guys jumped on the bandwagon. The guy can coach and will improve.

Bacon out...

This is Stan Heath's 4th season. Are all the people he recruited STILL in high school? Where is he recruiting, Root Elementary??? Give up the excuses. Heath recruits the hell out of players who never pan out. It's a problem. It's not getting better. It's been too long to pin any more of this on Nolan. Sure Heath had little to work with when he got here, but in year 4, his first class should be starting their senior years. But as everyone says, he got in late on that year, so we'll forgive him that class. His second class will be starting their junior seasons. They should have 2 seasons together and be a cohesive unit. However, there is only one regular contributor in that class - Brewer - and for some reason, Heath is still trying to figure out "team chemistry." He's not cutting it. It's so *** obvious.

So you are going to blame Heath for Hunter being injured?  He was part of Heath's 2nd class (first full class).

If you paid ANY attention to media reports before publishing your opinion with NO credibility, you would know that Heath, Modica and Brewer have stated the chemistry problems have been addressed.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 22, 2005, 11:46:09 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 22, 2005, 11:31:17 pm
I think everyone is aware that last year was not good, should be better, but isn't. But I'm not gonna defend Heath to someone who thinks Brewer is overrated. c'mon man, this is the make or break year. Let's give him the year to do or die not insist on his firing before the year begins. Heath knows it, JFB knows it, you know it, I know it. Give the year and quit complaining. You and I don't have the awesome responsibility of pulling the trigger on the man's coaching career and family.

Bacon out...

I gave him last year. I went into that season believing he was going to turn the corner. He should have, given what was in place. However, that group of players got progressively worse from one game to the next. That can't be recruiting. It can't be bad luck, bad officiating, or a few buzzer beaters that didn't fall. It's Stan Heath's fault that the players quit on him and got worse as the year went along.

I don't need to see Stan Heath's Hogs Version 4.0 -- I've witnessed the last 3 and he's proven he doesn't have what it takes. Furthermore, the one thing that concerns me more than anything is that I do NOT believe this is his "make or break" year with JFB, which is really troubling. He got the year tagged onto his contract, which tells me JFB is not yet as pissed as he should be. I fear Heath will win about 14 or fewer games this year and STILL not get canned.

What guys like you don't understand is JFB would only pay to get a guy with little or no HC'ing experience.  He had the chance to get Bill Self from Illinois and would not pay him what the market demanded.

Therefore, don't b!tch and moan about Heath sucking unless you are willing to get out your checkbook and write at least another $700,000 check.  Anyone with half a basketball brain knows it will take at least $1.5MM per year to get an experienced HC in Fayetteville.

BTW, if you don't like the basketball team, DON'T F'IN GO to the games.

Extra Point

Quote from: ConwayHog on August 23, 2005, 01:52:43 am

You go pull out the schedule and tell me you really expect to not have more than 14 wins. If I remember correctly there are 9 or 10 wins easily on the preseason schedule. You honestly think this team will only win 4 or 5 games in conference play? Look, I'm not predicting a 24 win season, but to expect no more than 14 wins has to be irrational in my mind. We have Brewer, Townes, and Modica all with experience under the belt and the crybaby Olu is gone. It has to be at least 17 or 18 wins this year whether the coach does anything or not.

Heath may very well get canned, but didn't they win 18 last year and we all remember how pitiful it was?

Dude, obviously the prediction has no rationality to it.  I mean, the guy thinks Brewer is overrated.  The same Brewer who played with NBA players a year ago (like All Star Paul Pierce) who said Brewer could easily compete in the league this past season.

Heath could phone in 14 wins this season.

PorcineSublime

Maybe we could save this thread and see how foolish/prophetic it is after Maui. I seriously doubt if there is any scenario in which we do not improve, barring injury to half of the experienced players. Stan was a project from Day One, he has had to learn on the job how to run a major college program and for my money the jury is still out. I would like to see at least another year before we tar and feather the man. He is beginning to recruit to his needs better and he finally has a group of kids who have bought into his system(so they are now saying at least). Lets back off and let the man have his chance. At this point in Nolan's tenure, no one would have predicted 1994. JMO.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Biggus Piggus

there's absolutely NO REASON to have McBride past this season.  Heath needed a stopgap to help with perimeter shooting.  McBride was nothing more than that.  Now the part I really hate is Heath claiming they knew all along McBride would not be eligible for the first semester.  Why did they never own up to this back on signing day?  Nobody around the program EVER knew this, in fact the staff was telling the media that McBride would arrive for school the weekend prior to the first day of classes.  Now Heath is openly lying to people, just to make it look as though he has everything under control, had it all planned.  Brilliant.  What a plan.
[CENSORED]!

toshortrock

u might be right about health not being able to run a div. 1 school,,lets at least wait untill the season starts,,is this the same people who was on nutt;s back before mustain signed,,and now don't have anything to do,,so they have to find someing to bitch about?
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: toshortrock on August 23, 2005, 06:40:31 am
u might be right about health not being able to run a div. 1 school,,lets at least wait untill the season starts,,is this the same people who was on nutt;s back before mustain signed,,and now don't have anything to do,,so they have to find someing to bitch about?

Mustain signed?  When did that happen?  And Nutt has won how many games this season?  We all hope things are on the right track, but nothing has been accomplished yet.
[CENSORED]!

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:23:02 am
Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 02:28:41 am
Quote from: ConwayHog on August 23, 2005, 01:52:43 am

You go pull out the schedule and tell me you really expect to not have more than 14 wins. If I remember correctly there are 9 or 10 wins easily on the preseason schedule. You honestly think this team will only win 4 or 5 games in conference play? Look, I'm not predicting a 24 win season, but to expect no more than 14 wins has to be irrational in my mind. We have Brewer, Townes, and Modica all with experience under the belt and the crybaby Olu is gone. It has to be at least 17 or 18 wins this year whether the coach does anything or not.

Heath may very well get canned, but didn't they win 18 last year and we all remember how pitiful it was?

Dude, obviously the prediction has no rationality to it. I mean, the guy thinks Brewer is overrated. The same Brewer who played with NBA players a year ago (like All Star Paul Pierce) who said Brewer could easily compete in the league this past season.

Heath could phone in 14 wins this season.

"Phoning in" is exactly what his teams have been doing for 3 seasons. We Hog fans have a high opinion of Ronnie, and no doubt he's the best player on our team. But he wasn't Freshman of the Year when he came into the league - some cat in Baton Rouge was. He wasn't player of the year last year in the SEC. Hell, he wasn't even the best player named Brewer on the court when we played in Gainesville. I've got nothing against him -- I'm just making the point that while he's astronomically better than anyone else on our team, it doesn't necessarily speak to how good Ronnie is (and I agree he's very good), it just means that the rest of our players are not good.
Again you take other's words and twist them to vent your frustration.

I said he is likely SEC POY this COMING year.  And Ronnie did make the All frosh team.

If you are going to call someone out, try using their words in context.

acsrazorback

If everyone was counting on McBride to be the difference maker, than there are bigger problems.  I like McBride, and thougth that he would be a good complement on the outside.  Maybe 9-12 points per game.  But our strength lies on the inside with Townes (remember him), Stephen Hill (a year removed frm his mother passing, and was a shot blocking force), and Charles Thomas.  We have to have good years from the Guards and Wings that we have and we will have a fairly complete team.

Heath should not have lied, but there is no indication that McBride not coming is the fall of the program.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:19:26 am
Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 02:25:53 am
I think everyone is aware that last year was not good, should be better, but isn't. But I'm not gonna defend Heath to someone who thinks Brewer is overrated. c'mon man, this is the make or break year. Let's give him the year to do or die not insist on his firing before the year begins. Heath knows it, JFB knows it, you know it, I know it. Give the year and quit complaining. You and I don't have the awesome responsibility of pulling the trigger on the man's coaching career and family.

Bacon out...

I gave him last year. I went into that season believing he was going to turn the corner. He should have, given what was in place. However, that group of players got progressively worse from one game to the next. That can't be recruiting. It can't be bad luck, bad officiating, or a few buzzer beaters that didn't fall. It's Stan Heath's fault that the players quit on him and got worse as the year went along.

I don't need to see Stan Heath's Hogs Version 4.0 -- I've witnessed the last 3 and he's proven he doesn't have what it takes. Furthermore, the one thing that concerns me more than anything is that I do NOT believe this is his "make or break" year with JFB, which is really troubling. He got the year tagged onto his contract, which tells me JFB is not yet as pissed as he should be. I fear Heath will win about 14 or fewer games this year and STILL not get canned.

What guys like you don't understand is JFB would only pay to get a guy with little or no HC'ing experience. He had the chance to get Bill Self from Illinois and would not pay him what the market demanded.

Therefore, don't b!tch and moan about Heath sucking unless you are willing to get out your checkbook and write at least another $700,000 check. Anyone with half a basketball brain knows it will take at least $1.5MM per year to get an experienced HC in Fayetteville.

Thanks, bud. I've quit going. I've also withdrawn my financial support until something changes at the end of the Razorback bench. I never gave Jim Lindsey money, so I'm sure my support is not missed. But I will tell you this....I'll start sending in the checks again when they are going to pay Stan Heath NOT to coach my Hogs. I was a full Stan Heath backer for 2.5 seasons. I felt it was my obligation as a HOG fan to stick with him with my money and my voice at games, but after I saw the way his team started strong and then began to quit in the face of adversity, I could no longer support something like that in good conscience.

There is plenty of money in NWA to buy out SH at $700,000 -- if the right people even cared anymore. I don't think the Jim Lindseys and John Tysons even care about Hog basketball anymore. They've sunk to irrelevance, even in their own back yard.

And YET again, you miss my point and misunderstand my words.

I stated it would take another MINIMUM $700k on top of Heath's current $800K salary to get someone who would satisfy you.  Broyles will NOT pay that much.  He doesn't even pay Nutt that much.  Self wanted that kind of money and Self ended up scoffing at Broyles offer.  Where is Self now?  At a top 10 program paying him market value.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:32:14 am
Quote from: PorcineSublime on August 23, 2005, 04:22:01 am
Maybe we could save this thread and see how foolish/prophetic it is after Maui. I seriously doubt if there is any scenario in which we do not improve, barring injury to half of the experienced players. Stan was a project from Day One, he has had to learn on the job how to run a major college program and for my money the jury is still out. I would like to see at least another year before we tar and feather the man. He is beginning to recruit to his needs better and he finally has a group of kids who have bought into his system(so they are now saying at least). Lets back off and let the man have his chance. At this point in Nolan's tenure, no one would have predicted 1994. JMO.

I don't see us even competing with anyone in Maui other than Chaminade. That's a probably 3 losses. Then we should lose further non-conference games to Misery and tejas tech. Then I see us doing no better than 6-10 or 7-9 in the conference. OK, so maybe that's 8 non-con wins and 7 conference wins. Fifteen wins is indeed more than 14. Since you're bashing my prediction on conference wins, lets see where those wins will come....We split with both Mississippi schools and LSU (3-3), are swept by Alabama, and Auburn (3-7), we beat UGA and South Carolina (5-7) from the East and get pounded by UK and UF (5-9). That leaves Vandy and tennesuck. We win both and it's 7-9 (best case scenario). Split 'em and it's 6-10 (most likely). Lose both and it's 5-11.

Enlighten me as to where I'm missing wins here.

You are way beyond rational enlightenment, trust me.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:36:51 am

I'm not on Nutt's back yet. In my opinion he's earned the right to try to straighten things out this season. I can't say I'm happy with several things going on up there -- play calling, switching players' positions constantly, and letting some prize recruits like DeAngelo Williams and Cedric Houston slip away. However I have seen flashes of what can be with Nutt.

I can guarantee you this...if he has a team that competes well with USC in the early season, then as the season goes on turns into a bunch of soft quitters, then I'll give him the same grief I'm giving Heath.

Double standard....

Nutt had THREE JUCO LB's who were supposed to be much needed help.  How many will play this fall?  NONE.

Heath has one JUCO who COULD play 2/3rd's of the season and you berate him.

Again, DOUBLE STANDARD.

Extra Point

Quote from: acsrazorback on August 23, 2005, 08:38:40 am
If everyone was counting on McBride to be the difference maker, than there are bigger problems. I like McBride, and thougth that he would be a good complement on the outside. Maybe 9-12 points per game. But our strength lies on the inside with Townes (remember him), Stephen Hill (a year removed frm his mother passing, and was a shot blocking force), and Charles Thomas. We have to have good years from the Guards and Wings that we have and we will have a fairly complete team.

Heath should not have lied, but there is no indication that McBride not coming is the fall of the program.

Heath lying is an interpretation by those who wish to see Heath fail and be fired.  Funny how those who spoke with Heath 2 weeks ago were told he might be redshirted due to the 40% completion rule.  There is no evidence Heath could have known that would be the case back in March.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:43:39 am
Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 08:40:55 am

I don't see us even competing with anyone in Maui other than Chaminade. That's a probably 3 losses. Then we should lose further non-conference games to Misery and tejas tech. Then I see us doing no better than 6-10 or 7-9 in the conference. OK, so maybe that's 8 non-con wins and 7 conference wins. Fifteen wins is indeed more than 14. Since you're bashing my prediction on conference wins, lets see where those wins will come....We split with both Mississippi schools and LSU (3-3), are swept by Alabama, and Auburn (3-7), we beat UGA and South Carolina (5-7) from the East and get pounded by UK and UF (5-9). That leaves Vandy and tennesuck. We win both and it's 7-9 (best case scenario). Split 'em and it's 6-10 (most likely). Lose both and it's 5-11.

Come on Mr. Naismith, tell me which games I have penciled in as losses that should be wins. Tell me why. Do you think we'll win at Lexington? How about Baton Rouge? Starkville? How about against an Alabama team we've never beaten, even when leading by 10 with under 5 minutes to play at home?

If you know so much...if you're such an authority, tell me. I'm listening.

An Alabama team we have never beaten?

What's the point if you will throw out complete untruths?  You will continue with your same lameness no matter how much logic someone uses with you.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:47:46 am
Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 08:42:48 am

I'm not on Nutt's back yet. In my opinion he's earned the right to try to straighten things out this season. I can't say I'm happy with several things going on up there -- play calling, switching players' positions constantly, and letting some prize recruits like DeAngelo Williams and Cedric Houston slip away. However I have seen flashes of what can be with Nutt.

I can guarantee you this...if he has a team that competes well with USC in the early season, then as the season goes on turns into a bunch of soft quitters, then I'll give him the same grief I'm giving Heath.

Double standard....

Nutt had THREE JUCO LB's who were supposed to be much needed help. How many will play this fall? NONE.

Again, DOUBLE STANDARD.

There's a big difference in the two coaches' situations. In Nutt's tenure we've seen at least fleeting ability to pull off some big wins -- even play long stretches of quality ball. He's had 3 seasons where we went to REAL bowl games - 2 cotton and 1 Citrus. His 1-2 record in those should be better, but at least we were there, and we did knock off tejas. With all Nutt's admitted faults, his track record has earned him this season to try to prove himself.

Heath has now had 3 full seasons to show us something, and we've seen zip. He's not built up any credibility and has earned no more slack. He has to produce now. He should have been sent packing after the tennesuck game in the SECT.

Your comparison is SERIOUSLY flawed.  When Nutt arrived, he had players who should have beaten eventual NC Tennessee.  When Heath arrived, the program was in complete shambles with a bunch of role players at best.

Once Ford's players were gone, we have been banished to the MCB, Indy, Vegas and staying home.  Not much "sign" of greatness there.

BTW, I think Nutt and Heath should both be given more time.

Extra Point

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:48:41 am
Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 08:47:00 am

Come on Mr. Naismith, tell me which games I have penciled in as losses that should be wins. Tell me why. Do you think we'll win at Lexington? How about Baton Rouge? Starkville? How about against an Alabama team we've never beaten, even when leading by 10 with under 5 minutes to play at home?

What's the point if you will throw out complete untruths? You will continue with your same lameness no matter how much logic someone uses with you.

What's the date and score of Stan Heath's win over Alabama?

We have played Bama for more than 3 years, pad'ner.

Jim Harris

August 23, 2005, 09:16:33 am #38 Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 09:20:06 am by drakehog
Quote from: Extra Point on August 22, 2005, 06:48:49 pm
Hey, bonehead....

He graduated from Monterrey just fine. Speculation is he did not have the 40% which has NOTHING to do with grades.

It was not until recently redshirting became an option. NEVER an issue when recruited.

Go back in the closet, batboy.

If a guy is ineligible for a semester because of grades (Joe Johnson), or if he's ineligible for a semester because he hasn't completed 40 percent of his degree work, what's the difference. He's still ineligible.
Read Heath's quotes, he said they KNEW WHEN THEY WERE RECRUITING HIM that he wouldn't be eligible before December. That was true then, and it's true now, and now they decided he also should redshirt. Anyone who calls that good planning and finding an outside shooter for this team, particularly when the team's best outside shooter just bolted, is so in deep to the party line it's silly.
Btw, EP, even Biggus will tell you I've stuck it out with Heath longer than anybody. I still want to see him succeed, but this latest news, and the fact that they basically knew McBride wasn't going to factor this year, astounds me in how he's tried to build the program back. Apparently signing good shooters or, if not shooters, enough tood defenders, was never a consideration in his four years of recruiting.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:57:53 am
Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 08:53:39 am
Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 08:47:00 am

What's the point if you will throw out complete untruths? You will continue with your same lameness no matter how much logic someone uses with you.

We have played Bama for more than 3 years, pad'ner.

This whole discussion is about Heath's performance here, so you know as well as I do that my reference to never beating Bama was under heath's tenure. So, I'll spell it out for you "pad'nah" -- An Arkansas Razorbacks Team Coached By Stan Heath Has Never Beaten Alabama In Basketball On A Basketball Court With A Basketball And Two Goals, So What Makes You Think This Year Will Be Any Different? Come on, "pad'nah" don't avoid answering the question by playing semantics here. If you can't answer me, that's fine. Admit you're on the wrong side of this discussion. There's no shame in it.

Seriously, show me where the wins will be that I have penciled in as losses.

"Pad'nah"

we beat Bama at home Heath's first season.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 08:39:44 am
Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 08:19:26 am
Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 02:25:53 am

Bacon out...

What guys like you don't understand is JFB would only pay to get a guy with little or no HC'ing experience. He had the chance to get Bill Self from Illinois and would not pay him what the market demanded.

Therefore, don't b!tch and moan about Heath sucking unless you are willing to get out your checkbook and write at least another $700,000 check. Anyone with half a basketball brain knows it will take at least $1.5MM per year to get an experienced HC in Fayetteville.

Thanks, bud. I've quit going. I've also withdrawn my financial support until something changes at the end of the Razorback bench. I never gave Jim Lindsey money, so I'm sure my support is not missed. But I will tell you this....I'll start sending in the checks again when they are going to pay Stan Heath NOT to coach my Hogs. I was a full Stan Heath backer for 2.5 seasons. I felt it was my obligation as a HOG fan to stick with him with my money and my voice at games, but after I saw the way his team started strong and then began to quit in the face of adversity, I could no longer support something like that in good conscience.

There is plenty of money in NWA to buy out SH at $700,000 -- if the right people even cared anymore. I don't think the Jim Lindseys and John Tysons even care about Hog basketball anymore. They've sunk to irrelevance, even in their own back yard.

And YET again, you miss my point and misunderstand my words.

I stated it would take another MINIMUM $700k on top of Heath's current $800K salary to get someone who would satisfy you. Broyles will NOT pay that much. He doesn't even pay Nutt that much. Self wanted that kind of money and Self ended up scoffing at Broyles offer. Where is Self now? At a top 10 program paying him market value.
Frank would have coughed up the money to get Self. The U of Lawyers were telling him that he couldn't offer Self more than Nolan had been getting. They were scared of the lawsuit that was sure to follow.
Frank offered Self a thousand dollars less than Nolan's final salary, something like 1.037 million. Self immediately took that figure to Illiniois' AD and got himself a raise. Frank was advised not to go any higher.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: acsrazorback on August 23, 2005, 08:38:40 am
If everyone was counting on McBride to be the difference maker, than there are bigger problems.

This is merely an annoyance.  It stirs up the emotions I had last winter when Heath was not recruiting any guards, period, and it was obvious last October that we needed more guards ASAP.  For the 2006-07 season, we will have plenty of guards.  Plenty.  By then we may have other problems, but guard won't be it.

It was very strange that Heath went whiff-whiff-whiff on all the guards he tried to sign last spring.  He ended up signing yet another swingman, and one who won't help till 2006-07 (if then) to boot.  I don't care what Heath is saying now; as of a couple of weeks ago, they expected McBride to be on campus this fall.  Why does he feel compelled to concoct a cover story (lie) to make it seem as though he had this all planned out?  It is utter BULL FECES.  Completely disingenuous spin.  Why do that?  To whom is the spin directed?  The north side of RRS?  Is this a crack in the plan for improvement that JFB insisted upon?

As for this season, McBride being a nonfactor is unsurprising.  Think about this, though.  His redshirt (if he actually shows up at all) would pile onto a big senior class in 2007-08.  We did not need another senior for that year.  No stinking way this was part of the plan.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Feb. 5, 2003, 81-70, at BWA.
[CENSORED]!

Fletch

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 10:56:24 am
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 23, 2005, 10:42:40 am

Feb. 5, 2003, 81-70, at BWA.

Drake beat ya - well without the date and score. ;-)

To your last post, that's exactly the kind of management of the program that has eroded my support. I was 100% on his bandwagon until actually the LSU game down there. Not because we lost the game, or because we got cheated, but how Heath reacted to it. LSU should have started the overtime shooting technical free throws because of the tirade Heath SHOULD HAVE thrown. That was the time when he should have shown his team he was a fighter, and they needed to bow up just like him. Instead, he took the "high road" and said some very bland things questioning the officials after the game, which still got him a reprimand. Hell, I would have been in his corner if he'd just yanked the team off the court, given the ref the bird and said, screw y'all - we won this game. We're not playing any overtime.

Hopefully, you have never bashed SH because his team quit at the end of the year after making a comment like that. Sorry, but basing the end of your support for the team because they didn't quit and go home against LSU is a little lame.

BTW, why do you have us penciled in as a loss at home against Missouri when we beat them there last year? What makes you think Auburn will sweep us? Your tirade is your opinion and that is fine, but issuing it as a challenge for someone to show you where you are wrong opens you up to criticism from every hog fan that doesn't share your doom and gloom outlook.
I feel like $100

Fletch

Also, I don't think we will be blown away by either Kentucky or Florida. We may even sweep one or two teams in the west.
I feel like $100

HogsRule

so you gave up after the LSU game. when we took Kentucky to within one point you had given up. when we won 3 straight at Ole Miss, GA and got our revenge against LSU, you had given up. you're a great fan. I'll see you when you are jumping back on the bandwagon in January.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Jim Harris

Quote from: UAGrad95 on August 23, 2005, 09:46:23 am

we beat Bama at home Heath's first season.

It takes a gentleman and a scholar like Mr. Drake to bring the facts. It's been so long since we won over a quality opponent that I'd forgotten his win at BWA. Thanks for correcting me - again. You dig doing that, don't you?

I'd enjoy more beating you on the golf course, which I never do, not even on the course I grew up on. ;D
btw, Heath beat a ranked South Carolina team (rank is more like it) his second year, as well as a rank vanderbilt team.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Extra Point on August 23, 2005, 08:42:48 am

Double standard....

Nutt had THREE JUCO LB's who were supposed to be much needed help. How many will play this fall? NONE.

Again, DOUBLE STANDARD.

EP, there have been plenty of people on Nutt's ass year after year for this JUCO stupidity, especially last year with the LBs. Most of us thought Heath was beyond that, especially after going through the Lamptey fiasco.

Inigo Montoya

I remember a player by the name of Alex Dillard that was a junior college transfer.  I believe he only had a few years eligibility and he turned out pretty good for us.

Biggus Piggus

Ronnie Brewer has good fundamentals other than his kludgy shot, which still worked for 40% from 3-pt range and 50% from 2-pt range last season.  Sure, a guy like Brewer should shoot better than 50% from 2-pt range, given the number of easy ones he gets.  His shooting % off the dribble must have been 20%.  And his 66% at the line is not quite good enough.  His defense needs improvement, but he makes things happen.  Brewer led us in scoring and had over 100 assists.  He led us in scoring and gave up the basketball for fully one-sixth of the team's non-Brewer baskets.
[CENSORED]!