Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V Florida

Started by flippinhogmana, January 15, 2018, 10:05:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

January 15, 2018, 10:05:26 am Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:38:20 pm by flippinhogmana
The Gators aren't quite the pushovers that their record suggests.
Three of their five losses in conference were contested games that they were in until the very last.
Lorenzson, their 6-3 post is active and may give us some problems, but then Williams and Thomas are likely to give her some problems too.

If we play like we played Sunday, we are likely to beat them, even without Cosper, but without Cosper, it will likely take a repetition of that effort and efficiency by Zimmer and Williams, Monk and Mason to beat them. 

Their five starters average 30 minutes a game and all are double figure scorers.  They have two 6-3 girls, but they are not as long or as active as some we have faced.  They drop off a lot in terms of minutes and point production on their bench, but without Cosper (and with RNB presumably taking her place in the starting lineup) our bench is apt to drop off quite a bit as well.

They have lost due to getting behind in the first quarter in the losses they have lost by the biggest margins, and by being outscored in all the contests in the fourth quarter.  If we are able to start fast like the last contest, then we should be okay at home.  But they are not total pushovers.  They have several upperclassmen that have past experience, so I dont expect them to totally wilt.

the game is at six on Thursday at the Bud.  It will also be televised on SEC tv and also available on the network.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

They also beat us twice last year.  But I think we are ready to make a move and win our next two home games.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 15, 2018, 11:46:35 am
They also beat us twice last year.  But I think we are ready to make a move and win our next two home games.

I suspect we might be adjusting our anticipated win total up and down until the last couple of games!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

MoHog74

Looks like the Thursday game is at 6:00. Unless the roads between here and there get alot slicker, we'll be there. Hopefully, so will a lot of other folks.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: MoHog74 on January 15, 2018, 01:08:57 pm
Looks like the Thursday game is at 6:00. Unless the roads between here and there get alot slicker, we'll be there. Hopefully, so will a lot of other folks.

You are right, it starts at six (If you had tickets already it might say otherwise).  Our normal starting time at home is 7.  But that is always flexible if the game is picked up for being televised.  It was actually listed at seven earlier today on our schedule - despite the fact that it has been shown as being picked up now for about at week. 

psycHOGlogist

As flippin notes, UF has very little roster depth, and that probably explains their second half/fourth quarter collapses. Their sophomore PG, Delicia Washington, was SEC Co-FOY last year, but she seems to be having something of a sophomore slump and has fouled out of several games so far this year. They do get production from several places in their lineup, however.

We have a good shot at the W, but nothing is for sure!

LadybackBBFan

They also have a new coach and the team may not have adjusted as well as our players have to the change.

flippinhogmana

January 16, 2018, 04:54:19 am #7 Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:19:34 am by flippinhogmana
For research purposes i watched the first half of the vandy/kentucky game last night.  I dont think either one of them are as good as Florida.  Neither team scored in the first five minutes of the game.  Kentucky just doesn't have a well organized offense.  Vandy beat them by about 15 if I recall and got its first win.  We play all three starting with Florida on Thursday.  I hope we have Cosper back and that she is ready to go. 

LadybackBBFan

I also watched most of that game and Kentucky and Vanderbilt are both struggling.  Vanderbilt is very young.  Kentucky was missing their best player - Macey Morris who is injured.  I do not know if Kentucky can beat anyone without her.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 16, 2018, 08:10:01 am
I also watched most of that game and Kentucky and Vanderbilt are both struggling.  Vanderbilt is very young.  Kentucky was missing their best player - Macey Morris who is injured.  I do not know if Kentucky can beat anyone without her.

I noticed she was out, but they didnt seem to know how long.  It was painful watching those first five minutes wasnt it?

LadybackBBFan

Cosper is day by day according to coach.  That does not sound too optimistic to me.

flippinhogmana

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/14-Jailyn-Mason-WBB-2016-17-6672.jpg

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – It's raining 3's might be the headline after Thursday's Southeastern Conference women's basketball contest between the University of Arkansas and the University of Florida.

GAME INFORMATION
Game Notes
Neighbors Pregame Thoughts
Live Scoring
SEC Network
Razorback Sports Network (Listen)
Tickets
Clear Bag Policy
The Gators (8-10, 0-5 SEC) lead the league in 3-point shooting with Arkansas (11-7, 2-3 SEC) second in shooting from distance. Thursday's 6 p.m. tip should be a fast-paced match-up. The game airs live on the SEC Network.

Scouting Arkansas
The Razorbacks are coming off a road win at Auburn and rank second in the SEC averaging 7.8 made 3-point field goals per game. Arkansas is also second with made 3-pointers with 141.

Arkansas saw back-to-back season-best nights from junior Bailey Zimmerman at Georgia and at Auburn. Zimmerman hit six 3-point field goals in those games, shooting 46% from beyond the arc. She added a career-best eight rebounds against the Tigers and was key as a defensive stopper in the game. Kiara Williams also stepped up with her third double-double last week with a career-best 15 points and 14 rebounds.

The Razorbacks are in the midst of a tough road SEC schedule. They played back-to-back games on the road at Georgia and Auburn, host Florida, and return to the road traveling to No. 11 Missouri on Sunday and No. 10 South Carolina on Thursday.

Scouting Florida
The Gators are also in a transition season welcoming a new head coach this year. Cameron Newbauer leads Florida after four seasons as Belmont's head coach. Although they are 0-5 in the SEC, Florida's last four games have been decided by single digits and the Gators have held leads late in the contests.

Five Gators average double figures led by Funa Nakkasoglu at 14.9 ppg. Haley Lorenzen (12.6 ppg), Paulina Hersler (12.2 ppg), Dyandria Anderson (11.3 ppg) and Deilcia Washington (10.1 ppg) are also averaging double digits.
Haley Lorenzen is the team's leading rebounder with 9.3 rpg.

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

we have had several measuring posts so far this year, the game with ole miss, the game with Bama, and the game with Auburn.  This one is another that will test how far we have come this year.  We are likely to be without Cosper or having her hobbled.  As I have said before, Florida is no pushover.  If we win, we gain more than just a W.  If we lose, we get to start again.

flippinhogmana

starting lineup does not include Cosper

flippinhogmana

RnB in her place as a starter.  I assume that means that she will not play.

flippinhogmana

game seems to be still some minutes away

flippinhogmana

teams about ready to come to center court

flippinhogmana

I dont think the hogs have got a tip this year.
gators score a two on a jumper, 2-0
hogs miss their first shot, a three by RnB,
gators come up empty thier next possession
still 2-0 gators at a minute and a half to go, and then they hit a three, 5-0 gators.

flippinhogmana

Now 7-0 gators, hogs have missed their first five shots, and now its 9-0 gators, not the way you want it to start.

flippinhogmana

williams scores the hogs first basket after a hogs timeout 9-2 gators
williams picks up a foul
mason misses should have taken it all the way to the rim, monk scores on a runner 9-4
monk picks up a foul, gators at the line, hit the first, and the second, 11-4

flippinhogmana

thomas in, monk drives and hits a layup, 11-6
hogs give up a wide open layup inside, 13-6
zimmer misses, ball out to hogs
zimmer misses a three, gators foul, hogs side out, swenson in now
monk hits a two, now with six points, gators with an offensive foul
13-8 gators, monk misses inside, 3:50 to go
Rnb misses a three, gets her own board and misses again

flippinhogmana

monk hits again on a jumper, 8 points, 13-10 gators with 2;50 to go
gators cold now, zimmer misses a three
hogs really missing cosper
gators score inside 15-10
Monk hits a three, 11 points, 15-13 gators

flippinhogmana

gators hit a three, 18-13
mason travels
monk got a short breather
after being down nine, hogs are behind 18-13 after one, not as bad as it could be, but no one is really scoring except Monk

flippinhogmana

Rnb and zimmer both 0-4 and mason 0-2
monk 5-8 with a three

2nd quarter gators score a three
monk replies with a drive and a two, 21-15 gators
two more for florida, 23-15
no one scoring except monk
gators with another two and a ten point lead, monk misses a three

flippinhogmana

mason shoots an airball
still 25-15 gators at 6:33 to go
gators with another three, 28-15

flippinhogmana

gators on a 10-2 run
williams scores inside, 28-17
swenson with a board
Rnb hits a three, 28-20
over and back on the gators and a media timeout

flippinhogmana

gators are shooting poorly enough that is the hogs start hitting they could get back in this

flippinhogmana

monk with 13 points and four boards
williams with a bucket inside off a feed from Monk, 28-22 with 4:30 to go
gators score inside to stop a 7-0 hogs run
30-22
monk misses
williams travels next trip
thomas misses inside off a nice feed from monk
florida scores inside, hogs dont have the height to stop them
swenson misses a three
tie up, ball to gators, 32-22 now, macy weaver coming in

flippinhogmana

tie up, ball to the hogs
mason misses a three, zimmer the offensive oard
swenson hits a three, 32-25
weaver looks a little lost, but she puts of a good shot that rattles off the rim
mason hits a three, 32-28
florida hits a three at the buzzer, 35-28

flippinhogmana

Herzler and Lorenzen, the gators two big girls are doing most of their damage with 12 and 10 points respectively,
monk with 13, williams with 6, and Rnb, Mason and Swenson with 3 for the hogs
Mason really needs to pick it up

flippinhogmana

gators open with the ball, hits a three, back to a ten point lead 38-28
mason misses
williams misses inside and the gators hit another three, 41-28
williams turns it over inside
hogs look beat at the moment
monk picks up a foul, her second, gators to the line, hit the first, and the second,
Rnb misses
Rnb misses a layup
hogs pressing looking for offense
gators score inside, monk scores, 45-30

flippinhogmana

Monk fouled on a drive, will go to the line, hits the first and the second, doing all she can do, 45-32
thomas throws it out of bounds next possession after getting an offensive board
ball bounces right for the gators and they score again inside and again the next possession, 49-32 with under five minutes to go in the quarter

flippinhogmana

mason is 1-7, rnb 1-8

flippinhogmana

monk with 17 points on 7-16 shooting also leads with boards with six
swenson with a turnover
florida getting all the breaks and loose balls
under four now in the third, 49-32

psycHOGlogist

With no inside game, this team is so vulnerable to a bad shooting night like tonight, especially against a zone.

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on January 18, 2018, 07:15:40 pm
With no inside game, this team is so vulnerable to a bad shooting night like tonight, especially against a zone.

Cosper might have made a difference, but better to rest her if she isnt ready

flippinhogmana

monk with a wild shot out of the media
rnb with a miss, thomas an offensive board, swenson misses a three
hogs have miseed their last five

flippinhogmana

rnb hits a three, 49-35
gators score inside on a drive
swenson misses a three
zimmer misses a three
gators score inside, 53-35 hogs with the last shot or the quarter
mason misses a three with an airball shot

flippinhogmana

dont know what to say about this one.  I said the gators werent pushovers but so far we havent put up much of a fight except monk

psycHOGlogist

Bad Zimmerman is back. 0-fer the game so far.

flippinhogmana

gators open the quarter with the ball
come up empty
thomas with the board
monk misses a three
gators travel on the insueing possesion
monk drives, draws the foul will go to the line
hits the first, and the second, 53-37
gators miss, thomas with the board, thomas misses a three, mason with the board, thomas hits outside, but her foot on the line, 53-39

flippinhogmana

swenson hits a two, 53-41
gators score inside 55-41
monk hasnt scored in a while
zimmer misses but swenson boards and puts it back, 55-43
offensive foul on the gators
hogs down by twelve at the media timeout

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

but hopefully this is an aberation, mason and rnb way off too

flippinhogmana

swenson showing us something in the last few minutes especially.

flippinhogmana

swenson now has seven points, second leading scorer after monks 19

flippinhogmana

risky pass inside results in a turnover for the hogs
6 minutes to go
monk scores to cut it to a ten point game
but the gators score to put it back to 12
mason misses a three
gators score inside again and its back to 14
monk scores again, 23 points, 59-47

flippinhogmana

4:17 to go in the game
monk fouled
hogs inbound, mason hits, back to a ten point game
gators travel
hogs with a chance to cut it to eight or less