Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

v Kansas

Started by flippinhogmana, December 01, 2017, 08:32:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

As LBBF alluded to, Kansas is undefeated (as she she said) with an untested schedule, but tall.  They have, i believe, six players 6-2 or taller and 3 at 6-5  (one of which I believe, the best one, is injured).  They dont however score much (the bigs).  Most of their offense comes from their guards. 

I thought that on even a neutral court without homer refs we would have beaten Nebraska.  Some of the same will apply to our game with Kansas - on the road, likely to have homer refs, against a taller opponent.  But we have our experience against Nebraska to count, we also have Macy Weaver's performance against UTEP to weigh in.  I wouldn't be surprised either way on this before of officiating, but i wouldn't be surprised if we beat them.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

I bet we would take a 6'5 transfer next year even if she could only play defense and rebound.    Unfortunately that is how desperate we are right now for Bigs.

LadybackBBFan

We are going to Kansas tomorrow for the game.  Will report on Monday.  Go HOGS!

Any tv or internet covage today?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: 72744 on December 03, 2017, 09:38:48 am
Any tv or internet covage today?

If you have internet coverage and direct tv, cox or dish, you can log on at the university site and pick it up on your computer.

As far as comparative score analysis - we have a common opponent - sort of UMKC has played Nebraska - got beat by twenty.  Kansas has played UMKC and beat them by 15.  That sort of suggests that we wont be run out of the gym by them (we had Nebraska close until late) and got beat by a little over ten as I recall.  If we dont start cold, we have a decent shot I Kansas I think.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

Kansas is up 7-4 with 4:54 to go in the first quarter.  Cosper going to the line to shoot two.  Hits both, 7-6

flippinhogmana

cosper drives, hits the layup and one, misses it but the hogs up 8-7 with 3:48 to go

flippinhogmana

with three to go, kansas hits a three and goes up 10-8, thomas foul and at the line - misses and Kansas scores again, 12 - 8, now up 14- 8.

flippinhogmana

hogs pitching bricks from the outside and with a couple of defensive lapses down 16-8 now with a little bit over a minute to go

flippinhogmana

cosper sets up swenson with a drive and dish for a three at the buzzer 16-12 at the end of the first quarter

flippinhogmana

hogs with foul trouble (monk with two).  Swenson with four points. 

flippinhogmana

teams trade buckets to start the quarter (cosper drives for the mid range jumper) 18-14

flippinhogmana

Monk with a wild drive and shot, then Kansas with a silly turnover.  williams with a turnover and Kansas scores off it, 20-14

flippinhogmana

the way the fouling is going, Weaver is apt to be in soon.  22-14 now

flippinhogmana

We desparately need some inside height the way they are packing in the zone.  Jalyn Mason hits a three from the corner, 22-16.

flippinhogmana

What is keeping the hogs in the ball game is the Kansas turnovers.
kansas scores and csoepr drives for a layup, 24-18

flippinhogmana

26 -18 with a couple of freethrows

flippinhogmana

with just over four to go in the half kansas misses a runner but an offensive rebound by kansas post player puts her at the line, after a media timeout, correction not a shooting foul, still 26-18.
Monks two fouls, by the way are both charges and Cosper has one charge as well, they are calling it pretty close and Kansas has the height advantage.

flippinhogmana

hogs with already eight turnovers (average only nine a game) - NB with a foul, soon will put kansas on the line, inside bucket after two hogs fought each other off the ball, gives kansas a ten point lead with 2: 50 to go, 28-18

flippinhogmana

mason with an airball on a drive, kansas ball at 2:15, inside bucket by post players and monk answers with a drive, 30-20 with 1:45 to go.

flippinhogmana

Cosper with a put back (hogs clearly intimidated by height) 30-22, hogs hanging around.
arkansas ball on their end of the court with 25 ticks to go, inbounding monk will hold for one shot.  Didnt get the shot off.  30-22 at the half.

flippinhogmana

Cosper with eight points, Monk with four and Swenson with four (a couple with two)
Monk, Mason, NorthcrossBaker and Cosper all with two fouls

flippinhogmana

Williams with seven boards, no one else with more than two.

flippinhogmana

hogs outscored by four each quarter so far.  hogs one of twelve from three point distance.  Kansas scores inside to open the second half.  Monk hits on a drive to take it back to 8.  32-24.  Still briks from the arc but Kansas hits one for a 35-24 lead and hots turne it over and a bucket to go to a 37-24 lead.  37-27 now with 7:30 to go.

flippinhogmana

Not sure how monk got three points on a two shot trip to the line but I will take, then a drive inside and williams hits a bucket, misses the ffree throw for a 40-29 point score then monk hits a bank three to leave it at 40-32, then kansas hits another layup inside, cosper with a three, 42-35.  Hogs may be heating up.  Its their time of the game generally.

flippinhogmana

media time out, kansas will have it under their own bucket when play resumes. 

flippinhogmana

Monk has 9 points now and Cosper 14. 

flippinhogmana

Monk with a drive cuts it to five, 42-37

flippinhogmana

Swinson bricks a three from out front, kansas drives for a layup, 44-37. Cosper fouled on a drive, misses the first, rattles in the second 44-38

flippinhogmana

hogs down six with the ball 2:30 to go in the third.  Cosper misses a three

flippinhogmana

46-41 now, feed keeps going in and out.  mason hit a three to bring us to within five again. 

flippinhogmana

kansas with another turnover bucket and foul, and free throw to take it back to an eight point lead, 49-41.  cosper with a beautiful pass to williams who lets a defender slide by and scores, 49-43.

flippinhogmana

refs protecting now, a touch foul on zimmer, and now a foul on a jump shot (after a travel not called).  kansas at the line hits the first (1.9 seconds left when that was called) hits both 51-43. to start the fourth.

flippinhogmana

Cosper with 15, monk with 11, williams with 6, Mason with five, Swinson with four, NCB with two.
Williams with 11 boards, monk with four, no one else with over two.
Mason with 3 fouls, NCB with four.

flippinhogmana

kansas with a lot less fouls, no one with over two.  Mason misses a three, kansas get another gift foul on the other end.  and then turns it over.  hogs are tied up inside on a stuff, turn it over.  Then Kansas scores in side to make it 53-43.  Williams with an inside board but gets stuffed again on the putback attempt monk drives and scores, and has the one to shoot (13 points now) and rolls it in, (14) and the lead is back to 7, 53-46, now inside bucket and 55-46, and a hog turnover.

flippinhogmana

55-46 with seven to go.  Hogs close it down to 55-47 on hogs free throws, cosper, with 17

flippinhogmana

As I said, my feed is coing and going and both side are driving and scoring layups now 59-53 with just under five minutes to go, Monk now with 16.

flippinhogmana

Macy Weaver is finally in the game, she does look a little slow, but man we need the help inside.  4:50 to go, Kansas with the ball, 17 pts for Cosper, 16 for Monk, Mason eight.

flippinhogmana

Weaver has picked up a block in the two minutes she has been in.  Monk picked up her third foul right before the timeout (she had been playing since the first quarter with two). 

flippinhogmana

Williams now with 14 boards, five offensive.  Kansas Weaver helped inside on that kansas possession, the girl can play defense.  Mason misses a three on the other end, coming to four minutes left now, Kansas with the ball and a drive, Cosper with the foul, kansas misses the first, hits the second.  60-53, monk drives and misses but out of bounds to hogs.  Mason drives and scores on the end bound, 60-55, and kansas scores inside and is fouled.  62-55

flippinhogmana

2:49 hogs with the ball trail by seven.  Monk with a drive and miss.  turnover on the hogs, two minutes to go, kansas with the ball and a seven point lead.  Cosper misses a three from the corner.  kansas timeout with 1:26 to go, the ball and a seven point lead.

flippinhogmana

refs helping again.  hits first, up by eight, (1a:14 to go) hits the second up nine, monk drives scores and is fouled (64-58, hits the free throw) 1:04 to go.

flippinhogmana

refs helping again, 44.3 seconds to go (kansas best player at the line) hits the first, and the second 66-58)

flippinhogmana

44 seconds to go, hogs with the ball down eight, monk drives and is fouled will go to the line for two hits the first, adn the second for 21 points all but four in the second half.  38 seconds left down six, kansas with the ball, refs help again, monk picks up her fourth, hits the first, misses the second, hogs down seven with the ball and 36 seconds to go - now 69-60 with 21 seconds to go. 

flippinhogmana

kansas has been to the charity line 8 more times that the hogs, hogs were with five with a couple of minutes to go, either took desparation drives or frantic three from that point and the hawks were help by the zebras, but that is what happens when you are shorter inside and you start cold and are on the road, final 71-60.

logic

Arkansas played very well considering that Kansas is bigger, quicker, and much better.  I knew that Arkansas wouldn't have much talent this year, but they winning more games than I expected.  Next year Arkansas will have more talent, especially if somehow we can sign a good big player.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: logic on December 03, 2017, 04:09:13 pm
Arkansas played very well considering that Kansas is bigger, quicker, and much better.  I knew that Arkansas wouldn't have much talent this year, but they winning more games than I expected.  Next year Arkansas will have more talent, especially if somehow we can sign a good big player.

I will give you taller, thats about all.