Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AR vs NMS

Started by 72744, November 25, 2017, 03:46:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: 72744 on November 25, 2017, 03:46:33 pm
AR 69 NMS 60
One of our poorer played game.  Really cold in the first half - less than 25% plus 13 turnovers - 19 for the game - the most this season.  Monk scores over 20 again and Cosper gets a double double  with 17 pts. and 11 rebounds as does Williams with 11 rebounds and I believe 10 points.  Arkansas's rebounding and pressure defense won the game in addition to shoot well from the field in the second half but terrible down the stretch from the free throw line.  Raven getting more minutes as she brings an intensity off the bench.  Home game this Wednesday at 7:00 P.M. before going to Kansas a week from Sunday.  The question is will our shooting ever become more consistent?  Although Weaver did not get into the game, coach identified her role will be against teams with bigger posts - not the situation today as we outrebounded NMS by double digits.

flippinhogmana

Some might question why MN would play Macy nearly twenty minutes one game and then not even let her sniff the floor today.  As a coach myself - especially with young players, freshmen in Macy's case - I knew that you can degrade a player if you put them in situations where they can only fail.  He put her in a situation last game that she was suited for and she did well, very well.  He is, I think choosing situations that he can build off, not just giving her minutes.

It might be me complimenting myself, but I find myself liking the way MN thinks and conducting himself more and more (I also went back and did a lot of research on Macy Weaver after her performance - she is better, with a lot more potential, particularly on defense, than what I had thought before, surprise, surprise).  I always tried to build the team, the program, by building one player at a time.  I am so impressed by all that I have seen Mike do.  Even when he makes a mistake, he is not afraid to admit it.  He takes responsibility for the teams lack of performance saying it was his fault.  What a chance of atmosphere.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

I was expecting an easier win today, too, but it's hard to win when you can't throw the ball in the ocean, which we couldn't in the first half. This seems to be a pattern so far with this team — struggle out of the gate and then find a better rhythm in the second half. Today it was enough to come back from a small-ish half-time deficit, but we just ran out of game yesterday against UTEP.

One thing I REALLY didn't like today was the very bad FT shooting late - even from Monk, who has been solid generally from the stripe. Fatigue?

Will be interesting to see if we can sort out our early game woes.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 25, 2017, 10:46:34 pm
I was expecting an easier win today, too, but it's hard to win when you can't throw the ball in the ocean, which we couldn't in the first half. This seems to be a pattern so far with this team — struggle out of the gate and then find a better rhythm in the second half. Today it was enough to come back from a small-ish half-time deficit, but we just ran out of game yesterday against UTEP.

One thing I REALLY didn't like today was the very bad FT shooting late - even from Monk, who has been solid generally from the stripe. Fatigue?

Will be interesting to see if we can sort out our early game woes.

I think you will find LBBF (she can speak for herself) and I in complete agreement (groan) with your points.  It might just be the traits of a growing and emerging team (and its leadership).  It might be fatigue (a trip, and the second game in the daytime and in less than twenty four hours).  But missing fts is a nono for sure!  As far as the rest of it - work in progress to be sure.  Still light years in front of last year even though we dont have JJ especially.  I would have loved for her to have one year to play for MN.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jackflash

we won that's all that matters

Jhawks

Time wil.l tell about this team...last year's team only lost two preseason games so their record is no better than last year's team at this point...lets not go overboard yet....neighbors don't have no kelsey plum that averages 50 every game...dykes first year went to second round of ncaa tourney...like I said time will tell..I think they are gonna get eat up in sec

flippinhogmana

November 27, 2017, 11:38:13 pm #7 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:31:51 am by flippinhogmana
Quote from: Jhawks on November 27, 2017, 10:25:42 pm
Time wil.l tell about this team...last year's team only lost two preseason games so their record is no better than last year's team at this point...lets not go overboard yet....neighbors don't have no kelsey plum that averages 50 every game...dykes first year went to second round of ncaa tourney...like I said time will tell..I think they are gonna get eat up in sec

the differences between this team and this program now versus the two team years you cite are profound.  Dykes first time had quality starters (Berna, Wolff, JJ, Bowen, Kelsey Brooks, all returning starters and others) as well as height.  When the bulk of those two classes was gone, so was the program.  We had a lot of turnoff of players and not much building going on.  We never even had an offense installed. Easy non conference schedules were the norm where our weaknesses weren't exposed.  This program from now on will build and build the right way.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 27, 2017, 11:38:13 pm
the differences between this team and this program now versus the two team years you cite are profound.  Dykes first time had quality starters (Berna, Wolff, JJ, Bowen, Kelsey Brooks, all returning starters and others) as well as height.  When the bulk of those two classes was gone, so was the program.  We had a lot of turnoff of players and not much building going on.  We never even had an offense installed. Easy non conference schedules were the norm where our weaknesses weren't exposed.  This program from now on with build and build the right way.
Completely agree with these comments.  In addition, we have not said that they will be really good this year, I doubt that they make the NCAA tournament, etc. but the improvement is going to be significant in spite of loosing JJ and Cooley - our top scorer and our only two players that were 6' 3".  If JD would have stayed, we would not have won 8 games in total this year as Cosper would have left, we would not have Thomas, Raven, and our two transfers for next year who will make us better next year.

psycHOGlogist

And just to pile on - while I agree with the comments from flippin and LBBBF entirely, I will point out that the SEC is not especially strong this year. Although we are still very likely to finish at or near the bottom of the conference, several teams are stumbling and bumbling out of the gate in conference so far. Some of these (Florida in the first year of a new staff, Auburn who has not recruited non-guards well) are predictable, but others (e.g., Vandy, who was predicted to be improved, is 1-6 with losses to Central Michigan, Ball State, and Tulane; LSU has lost to Northern Colorado and not looked good in its wins) are not. I'm not sold on Kentucky, either, even though they are undefeated. They have beaten weak teams and not always looked good. My point is not that we will have a successful SEC season, but that there are more conference games that are winnable this year than in some years past.

Dykes inherited a pantry of high quality talent (though small numbers), had a good year, and rapidly crashed. Neighbors has inherited very little, but is already coaching and developing players (and a scheme). When he gets more players in the program, that will be the real litmus test for this hire. I am optimistic.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 28, 2017, 10:27:59 pm
And just to pile on - while I agree with the comments from flippin and LBBBF entirely, I will point out that the SEC is not especially strong this year. Although we are still very likely to finish at or near the bottom of the conference, several teams are stumbling and bumbling out of the gate in conference so far. Some of these (Florida in the first year of a new staff, Auburn who has not recruited non-guards well) are predictable, but others (e.g., Vandy, who was predicted to be improved, is 1-6 with losses to Central Michigan, Ball State, and Tulane; LSU has lost to Northern Colorado and not looked good in its wins) are not. I'm not sold on Kentucky, either, even though they are undefeated. They have beaten weak teams and not always looked good. My point is not that we will have a successful SEC season, but that there are more conference games that are winnable this year than in some years past.

Dykes inherited a pantry of high quality talent (though small numbers), had a good year, and rapidly crashed. Neighbors has inherited very little, but is already coaching and developing players (and a scheme). When he gets more players in the program, that will be the real litmus test for this hire. I am optimistic.

Not me. I am sold on MN.  I was in favor of hiring Tom but I didnt buy into him like I have into Mike because although Tom and his staff recruited fairly well, it was in some way gimmicky (foreign post players who didnt really pan out).  His teams DID have good defense and a decent offense.  I let the jury be out on the coach who followed Blair, and on Dykes too.  I was willing to be convinced on them both.

The reason why I am sold on Neighbors is simple.  There are so many things that Mike is doing right from a coaching, program and team development aspect.  1) He is a good recruiter 2) He identifies talent and puts the ball in their hands 3)  He believes in the players and give them encouragement to shoot the ball 4)  I am surprised at how well despite his up tempo offense he has instilled in the team to limit turnovers (2nd in the nation at this point) 5) He is building the program in the eyes of state high school coaches 6) He is a coaches coach and that always helps in recruiting 7) He recruited and coached Kelsey Plum, that never hurts recruiting 8)  He is making basketball fun again for Devin Cosper and I am so happy for her.  I would have wished the same for girls like KB, JJ, MW, CB, JB, and several others as well

LadybackBBFan

Tottally agree with flippinhogmana!

psycHOGlogist

So do I. I am not sure why his post quoted mine and said "not me," though! :-) All of his points are spot on.

Sad to imagine how good JJ's senior year could have been with MN on the bench.