Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nice WBB road win over ORU tonight

Started by psycHOGlogist, November 21, 2017, 12:25:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

The WBB team avenges last year's very embarrassing 10 pt home loss to ORU by winning on the road by a score of 77-66. Monk and Cosper again led the way. We played pretty good (zone) defense and did a nice job of limiting ORU to having only one shot. Tough rebounding on the inside from Thomas and Williams helped offset ORU's height advantage.

We struggled at times defending the quick ball reversal and hi-lo post passing, but when it counted we got it done. Nice win. On to UTEP for games against the Miners and New Mexico State. WPS! (I hope LBBBF chimes in with an on-site report!)

hawg1221

I can already see positive results within the program since Mike took over. He's a good coach and we'll continue to see this program improve.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 21, 2017, 12:25:29 am
The WBB team avenges last year’s very embarrassing 10 pt home loss to ORU by winning on the road by a score of 77-66. Monk and Cosper again led the way. We played pretty good (zone) defense and did a nice job of limiting ORU to having only one shot. Tough rebounding on the inside from Thomas and Williams helped offset ORU’s height advantage.

We struggled at times defending the quick ball reversal and hi-lo post passing, but when it counted we got it done. Nice win. On to UTEP for games against the Miners and New Mexico State. WPS! (I hope LBBBF chimes in with an on-site report!)

Thanks for the info. I just have a good feeling about CMN and I think WBB is headed in the right direction under this coach. We are going to get a chance to see him rebuild this team on a solid foundation that will be sustainable. Go Ladybacks!
Hogs up! Covid down!

BWS

I'm pleasantly surprised with our post play so far. Williams and Thomas are undersized, but they play hard, box out well and know how to play with their back to the basket.

LadybackBBFan

We got off to a slow start especially defensively.  Williams got two quick falls and we were having trouble stopping the dribble drive as they appeared quicker than us.  Coach went to a lineup of Cosper, Monk, Mason, Raven and Thomas which seemed to turn us around after coach called a timeout in the first period.  Cosper who was not hitting shots in warm up was hot to start the game and scored 12 points before the first quarter was over.  With Williams in foul trouble, Thomas played very well, but missed some shots that she should have made.  However, she continues to get better every game and brings an energy off the bench.  Raven struggled with her 3 point shot but is a very good defender.

Devin cooled off in the second half, legs may have been a little tired as she did not come out in the first half.  However, Monk heated up and took the game over - even though she left the game in the middle of the third period with an injury and had to be taken to the locker room.  Mason played well, but had at least five or six 10 foot pull up jump shots in the lane - which is unlike her.  I think it got in her head - something like my bad putting.  Although Devin was missing, I do not feel that she lost her confidence.  I continue to be impressed with our play and with our coaching.  It is also clear that MN relies on coach Schafer to assist during the game. 
Coach Mike has commented on his confidence in coach Schafer at his news conferences and it is apparent he is a positive influence on the team during the game.  My concern on the road for the Thanksgiving Tournament is how we will bounce back when we play back to back games with Monk and Cosper playing 35+ minutes.

LadybackBBFan

Some additional comments.  Devin had her second double double with ten rebounds.  We also only had four turnovers which is amazing at the pace that we play at - really great improvement from what we did the first half at Nebraska.  My one concern is that we hit about 25% of our threes in our two road games.  We need to get that up to 35% or better which would add about 9 points to our score with the amount of threes that we shoot.
Looking at stats year over year for individuals are pretty telling:  Monk - average up to 21.3 pts/game from 9.1.  Cosper up to 19.3 from 6.4 and rebounds up to 7.8 from 2.2.  Mason up to 8.5 from 7.5 but I believe she will improve as the season goes on as she gets more comfortable shooting in the offense.  Williams is up to 7.8 from 3.1.  The one person that is down is Swenson who has dropped from 8.0 to 5.8.  As she gets more comfortable in the offense and system this will turn around - I am confident in that statement.  She looked good in her limited minutes last night and will be needed against SEC opponents.
I still believe we will win our two games in the Thanksgiving Tournament.    My two concerns are the 6' 4" post that Texas El Paso has who is also their leading scorer at 15.5 pts/game and our ability to handle back to back games with the amount of time that our key players end up playing.  Coach mentioned both items in his pre tournament comments.

psycHOGlogist

Good stuff, LBBBF! Thanks for your take. Mason did look a little frustrated after the third miss on the open J from the elbow. And like you, I was really pleased that Swenson hit a couple big shots.

One question - what did you think about Zimmerman getting so many minutes? I thought she looked like a weak spot out there ... but maybe she is the best option?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on November 21, 2017, 06:03:54 pm
Some additional comments.  Devin had her second double double with ten rebounds.  We also only had four turnovers which is amazing at the pace that we play at - really great improvement from what we did the first half at Nebraska.  My one concern is that we hit about 25% of our threes in our two road games.  We need to get that up to 35% or better which would add about 9 points to our score with the amount of threes that we shoot.
Looking at stats year over year for individuals are pretty telling:  Monk - average up to 21.3 pts/game from 9.1.  Cosper up to 19.3 from 6.4 and rebounds up to 7.8 from 2.2.  Mason up to 8.5 from 7.5 but I believe she will improve as the season goes on as she gets more comfortable shooting in the offense.  Williams is up to 7.8 from 3.1.  The one person that is down is Swenson who has dropped from 8.0 to 5.8.  As she gets more comfortable in the offense and system this will turn around - I am confident in that statement.  She looked good in her limited minutes last night and will be needed against SEC opponents.
I still believe we will win our two games in the Thanksgiving Tournament.    My two concerns are the 6' 4" post that Texas El Paso has who is also their leading scorer at 15.5 pts/game and our ability to handle back to back games with the amount of time that our key players end up playing.  Coach mentioned both items in his pre tournament comments.

I concur coach.  I was late to the game, and didn't meet some of you guys as I intended to do, but it went just the way you assessed it. 

On Cosper, shooting is as much (or more) about your legs than it is your form or rhythm.  Playing the four position taxes Cosper's leg strength.  I dont believe that right now MN has any other options than to do it that way (with Swenson still becoming comfortable with the different style of play, and with him really not being able to play Williams and Thomas together until Weaver develops more - no depth if he did and both got in foul trouble).

Until Weaver starts to develop, we are going to be short, but Williams and Thomas are showing fight and playing hard.  I feel so glad for especially Cosper and Monk to be able to play for MN.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

moses_007

Hope this isn't a repeat of the women's regular m.o... win every non conference game and go flat in the SEC.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 03:52:17 am
Hope this isn't a repeat of the women's regular m.o... win every non conference game and go flat in the SEC.
The SEC will be tough, but we will fight to the end of each game and the coach and team will learn from each experience - that will be the big difference.  No more will the coach look like a deer in the headlights - not moving and not making any changes as the game develops.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 21, 2017, 06:58:50 pm
Good stuff, LBBBF! Thanks for your take. Mason did look a little frustrated after the third miss on the open J from the elbow. And like you, I was really pleased that Swenson hit a couple big shots.

One question - what did you think about Zimmerman getting so many minutes? I thought she looked like a weak spot out there ... but maybe she is the best option?
Zimmerman is a slightly better defender in the man to man defense - especially on the dribble drive than Swenson.  I also believe she is one of the hardest working players and is smart.  In the end, Swenson has to get more minutes in conference as she is a much better shooter, stronger rebounder, and defender of bigs in the middle - especially if we have to play more zone in the SEC.

psycHOGlogist

Good points - makes sense, and thanks LBBBF!

MoHog74

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on November 22, 2017, 07:15:33 am
  The SEC will be tough, but we will fight to the end of each game and the coach and team will learn from each experience - that will be the big difference.  No more will the coach look like a deer in the headlights - not moving and not making any changes as the game develops.

Win or lose, this will be a huge improvement. Looking forward to great things with CMN.  WPS