Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ut arlington double header today

Started by flippinhogmana, March 20, 2018, 12:02:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

I hope Krzysko and Green continuing picking it back up today, they showed signs of it the last game or two, especially Krzysko.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

hogs appear to ge on, Buczek bunts to lead off, McEwen lines out to center, and Ashley Diaz homers for a 2-0 lead.
warrick hits a line shot to right center for a double, one out
manzo flies out to cf, two down
Krzysko flies out to cf, hogs 2-0 to the top of the second

flippinhogmana

haff sets down ut one two three, to the bottom of the second

flippinhogmana

green continues to struggle, strikes out swinging
Bugarin works a full count and walks
Parr grounds out 3rd to 2nd for a fc
Buczek works a 2-2 count and then grounds out to first, hogs still 2-0 to the top of the 3rd.

flippinhogmana

haff (not getting border line low strikes) works a 3-2 count and walks the leadoff batter
2nd batter sacrificing the runner to second, one out, runner on second
3rd batter takes a strike (runner advances on a wild pitch) runner now on third with one out
Haff gets a strike out, two down
4th batter of the inning is the lead off hitter, gets ahead 3-1, 3-2, and pops to short to end the threat.  Hogs 2-0 to the bottom of the third and the heart of the order.

flippinhogmana

Hammerin Hannah works a 3-2 count and walks
Diaz walks on four pitches, two on, nobody out for Warrick
Katie singles to left to load the bases with nobody out
manzo hits into a fielder choice (here we go again?) runner out at home, bases still loaded
Krzysko gets behind 0-2, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, and draws a walk for an rbi, 3-0 hogs
Kayla Green continues to struggle, gets down 1-2 and flies out to center, two down, bases still loaded for Bugarin
Haydi works a 3-2 count, and fouls out to 1B.  At least we did get one run out of it.

flippinhogmana

Haff Ks the lead off batter
next batter is retired by Green on an excuse me swing, two down, nobody on,
this plate ump has a tight strike zone for both pitchers
Haff gets the third batter on a foul out to Green.  Hogs 3-0 to the bottom of the 4th

flippinhogmana

Parr will lead off and then back to the top of the order
Sydney pops up to ss
Buczek gets behind 0-1, and then pops to 2B, two down
McEwen up, works a full count, and walks again, runner on first with two down for Diaz
Ashley gets ahead 3-0, and also works for the second time in a row, two on, two down for Warrick
Katie gets ahead 1-0, and then lines out to ss, hogs still 3-0 to the top of the fifth

flippinhogmana

top of the fifth, haff retires the first two, then the third batter singles to center, two down one on
4th batter grounds out to Haff to end the top half of the 5th, Haff now has a one hitter.

flippinhogmana

aly manzo gets ahead 2-0, 2-1, and hits a solo, no doubt, homer to right, 4-0 hogs,
Krzysko grounds out to 3rd, one down
archuleta pinch hits for Green, gets ahead and then pops to 3rd, two down
Malkin pinch hits for Bugarin, gets ahead and eventually walks, one on, two down for Parr
Sydney reaches on an error, Bugarin (pr fro Malkin) advances to second, two down
Buczek gets ahead 1-0, singles off the second base glove (ruled an error) Bugarin scores, 5-0 hogs
McEwen flies out to cf.  5-0 hogs to the top of the 6th.

flippinhogmana

Archuleta is in to catch for Green (wouldnt be surprised to see her start the second game)
haff gets ahead 0-2 on the leadoff hiitter, and strikes her out for her 5th K,
next batter falls behind 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, strikes her out looking, 6 Ks for Haff now, two down
Haff gets ahead 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, gets her for the 3rd out on a grounder to 3rd.

flippinhogmana

hogs up in the bottom of the 6th
hogs only have five hits but two were homers (along with a double) to account for three of the runs, one scored on a bases loaded walk, the other was scored on an error
Diaz leads off, grounds out to 2nd, one down
Warrick (up to .344 now), gets ahead 1-0, homers opposite field, 6-0 hogs
Katie's homer was a no doubter, and gives her a 3-4 day, raising her average now to .364
UTA changes pitchers
Manzo pops to 2nd
Krzysko gets ahead 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, and flies out to cf to end the inning.

flippinhogmana

Haff with a six run lead, 6Ks and a one hitter will try to end it here.
Krzysko is definitely hitting better, coming out of her slump, but Green is still mired in her's, and McEwen isn't hitting as well as she was.  Freshmen inexperience is starting to show.  Its good to see Warrick emerge and Diaz staying strong.
1st batter gets ahead 2-1, goes down on a pop to ss, one down
2nd batter is pinch hit for, works a 1-1 count, 2-1, 3-2, goes down swinging for Haff's 7th K,
3rd batter flies out to rf to end it.  Haff the winner on a one hitter.
Diaz and Warrick the hititng stars (along with Manzo for her one hit a dinger).  Hogs 22-5, Haff 13-2 with the win.

hawg1221

Haff is pretty impressive for a freshman.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 20, 2018, 08:45:24 pm
Haff is pretty impressive for a freshman.

Mary ranks not only in the top ten in the SEC in many categories (as high as third in several - innnings pitched, strikeouts, opposing batting average, second in Ks and first in Ks looking, and tied for first in wins) but in the top ten in the nation is some categories.  That is pretty impressive period, not just for a freshman.

conwayhawg

Green may be struggling a bit at the plate, but she is a beast behind it. I saw several games over the weekend and I thought Green was very impressive. She gunned down several runners, including a couple where I thought there was no way she was going to get the.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: conwayhawg on March 21, 2018, 10:46:48 am
Green may be struggling a bit at the plate, but she is a beast behind it. I saw several games over the weekend and I thought Green was very impressive. She gunned down several runners, including a couple where I thought there was no way she was going to get the.

quite true as well.  It is her defense and that of Krzysko that makes it doubly hard to take them out of the lineup.  Same with Bugarin.  But with Belans not hitting and her frequent errors, switching Buczek to short became mandatory. 

Still it makes Krzysko's starting to hit again, all the more important to the team's overall performance.  As the immortal Terry Bradshaw replied when asked how they were going to beat their superbowl opponent -  "Score more points than they do".  Defense is great and necessary (to cut down on the other team's scoring) but you have to score runs, too.  Haff's two losses were 1-0 shutouts (one in nine innings).  Its hard to beat the other team when you dont score - so every bat is important, stringing hits together and even the short game is important.

But as to your point about Green, she also ranks number one in the SEC in runners cut down trying to steal with nine out of 18 chances.  She guns down half of the runner testing her, thats rare (but on the other hand her number of passed balls is also tied for most in the league). 

We have several rare freshmen, some of whom are having a hard time even seeing the field like Malkin, Duncan and Dodson.  But I would hate to see Green sit too, Even if she needs a day off every now and then to see if it can revive her hitting.