• 390,652 Topics
• 22,093 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC or Big 12  (Read 7888 times)

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
Re: SEC or Big 12
« Reply #400 on: January 13, 2018, 03:49:15 pm »

I subscribe to this theory.

http://https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/college-football-expanded-playoffs-10-years-alabama-ohio-state-notre-dame-051616

Makes perfect sense.  As the world continues to find more viewing options the rules and people who control the money will change.

Thanks for the link....interesting stuff, right there...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #401 on: January 13, 2018, 03:58:52 pm »

I think this is one of the reasons why an SEC move isn't out of the question for Texas. Folding the LHN into the SECN allows ESPN to eliminate the operating costs of the LHN and keep the Longhorn brand under their umbrella without having to distribute additional payouts to the dead weight in the B12. You also increase inventory and viewership ratings for the SECN with another heavy weight program which would improve advertising revenue. ESPN is already on the hook to pay Texas, so it doesn't add cost to the SECN per se. Those are all wins for ESPN, so I think they would be on board.

I cannot see Texas coming to the SEC and bowing down to the other pre-existing elites in the SEC and losing all of their power. I could however see them agreeing to exit the LHN in favor of a Big 12 Network if the money was right. Texas likes their power and even if it were diminished a bit by adding more power players to the Big 12, I think that they would be more in favor of that and the establishment of a B12 Network and keeping the Big 12, rather than coming to the SEC and being just another big team among bigger teams.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #402 on: January 13, 2018, 04:23:19 pm »

I cannot see Texas coming to the SEC and bowing down to the other pre-existing elites in the SEC and losing all of their power. I could however see them agreeing to exit the LHN in favor of a Big 12 Network if the money was right. Texas likes their power and even if it were diminished a bit by adding more power players to the Big 12, I think that they would be more in favor of that and the establishment of a B12 Network and keeping the Big 12, rather than coming to the SEC and being just another big team among bigger teams.

They still have the problem of the B12's survivability. And the B12 Network still has to make money, which only happens if they have viewers. Assuming Texas eventually HAS to move, they have the same issue in each of the remaining P5 conferences that you say they have in the SEC. In the Pac-12 they have a bloc of four California schools to contend with, plus a poor geographic fit spread across three timezones. In the Big Ten they have Michigan/Ohio State, plus a terrible geographic fit. In the ACC you have the four NC schools in general and FSU/Miami in football, plus it's also a terrible geographic fit. Texas will be a heavy-weight anywhere they go, but they won't be running the show anywhere they go, whether that's the SEC or otherwise. But I don't see how the B12 survives after the next wave of expiring media deals. They'll need to move and the question is what makes the most sense for them (and will that drive their decision making).

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #403 on: January 13, 2018, 04:30:46 pm »

They still have the problem of the B12's survivability. And the B12 Network still has to make money, which only happens if they have viewers. Assuming Texas eventually HAS to move, they have the same issue in each of the remaining P5 conferences that you say they have in the SEC. In the Pac-12 they have a bloc of four California schools to contend with, plus a poor geographic fit spread across three timezones. In the Big Ten they have Michigan/Ohio State, plus a terrible geographic fit. In the ACC you have the four NC schools in general and FSU/Miami in football, plus it's also a terrible geographic fit. Texas will be a heavy-weight anywhere they go, but they won't be running the show anywhere they go, whether that's the SEC or otherwise. But I don't see how the B12 survives after the next wave of expiring media deals. They'll need to move and the question is what makes the most sense for them (and will that drive their decision making).

That's why I believe if Texas goes to the Pac 12, they'll take the 3 other Texas universities (Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor) with them. Then the Pac 16 East would look like this:

Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
Colorado
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
Utah

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #404 on: January 13, 2018, 04:56:06 pm »

That's why I believe if Texas goes to the Pac 12, they'll take the 3 other Texas universities (Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor) with them. Then the Pac 16 East would look like this:

Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
Colorado
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
Utah

I don't think the Pac would invite 4 Texas schools for that very reason. I really only see one expansion move that makes sense for the Pac-12. OU/Texas + 2 coming from Texas Tech or Houston and Kansas or OSU. But that still assumes they can work out the LHN issue because without Texas in the Pac-12 Network it may not be worth adding them at all. Clearly they didn't believe so during the last round of expansion. I could see the Pac staying at 12.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #405 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:50 pm »

I don't think the Pac would invite 4 Texas schools for that very reason. I really only see one expansion move that makes sense for the Pac-12. OU/Texas + 2 coming from Texas Tech or Houston and Kansas or OSU. But that still assumes they can work out the LHN issue because without Texas in the Pac-12 Network it may not be worth adding them at all. Clearly they didn't believe so during the last round of expansion. I could see the Pac staying at 12.

If the Pac 12 expands, I don't see them stopping at 14 which is why the 4 Texas schools make the most sense. It gets them to 16 schools.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #406 on: January 13, 2018, 05:11:33 pm »

If the Pac 12 expands, I don't see them stopping at 14 which is why the 4 Texas schools make the most sense. It gets them to 16 schools.

I think inviting four Texas schools would be inviting trouble, but then again that would be their problem and not ours. I believe they rejected Baylor outright during the last round of expansion proposals, which was when Utah entered the picture. I would imagine they're even less inclined to consider them now.

Murr

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Meatchicken Cowturds!!!
« Reply #407 on: January 13, 2018, 05:20:36 pm »

The  pac 12 needs to start making more than a million dollars a year each off of their third tier networks before any Big 12 even considers moving under that umbrella. 

The four Texas schools could rebuild the Big 12 or SWC with WAC and AAC schools and probably steal a couple of disgruntled PAC schools away with a competitively profitable  third tier option; conference network or self held individual rights. This is assuming Oklahoma and Oklahoma State join the SEC.  obviously in this scenario, Kansas and West Virginia become free agents that could get added to the SEC if the money and votes are there.

RebHog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #408 on: January 13, 2018, 07:32:16 pm »

Yup their over inflated ego wont allow that they would go independent like ND before this would every happen.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #409 on: January 13, 2018, 07:39:43 pm »

That's why I cited the possible scenario above. They have to add more value to the conference to survive and in order to survive, they have to come up with a deal of such magnitude that they can draw teams from other P-5 conferences to the Big 12. Now do I think that Bob Bowlsby is capable of putting that deal together? Probably not. But I think that is what it would take for them to survive beyond 2025.

For the sake of argument let's say that they don't get that deal put together, 2023-2024 rolls around and they still haven't extended their GOR's and ESPN/Fox devalues their media deal. What then?

Texas will go independent. They are just dumb enough to assume that the LHN will gain more value by them going Independent and not having to live under the thumb of a conference office.

I have heard over the years that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are tied at the hip due to state politics so whether we like it or not, whether we agree with it or not, if Oklahoma makes a move to the SEC it will most likely be with Oklahoma State as a part of the deal or they may not come. If Oklahoma makes a move to the Pac 12 South, it will include Oklahoma State and probably TCU and Texas Tech.

The best move for them if the Big 12 implodes is a move to the SEC West with Auburn and Alabama going East and Missouri coming to the West. That would re-position the SEC West to Arkansas, A&M, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Miss State in the West and with one crossover game each year that would bring the SEC to 9 conference games each year in each division out of a 12 game schedule.

Whether that happens or not, we will see in due time.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #410 on: January 13, 2018, 08:09:12 pm »

That's why I cited the possible scenario above. They have to add more value to the conference to survive and in order to survive, they have to come up with a deal of such magnitude that they can draw teams from other P-5 conferences to the Big 12. Now do I think that Bob Bowlsby is capable of putting that deal together? Probably not. But I think that is what it would take for them to survive beyond 2025.

For the sake of argument let's say that they don't get that deal put together, 2023-2024 rolls around and they still haven't extended their GOR's and ESPN/Fox devalues their media deal. What then?

Texas will go independent. They are just dumb enough to assume that the LHN will gain more value by them going Independent and not having to live under the thumb of a conference office.

I have heard over the years that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are tied at the hip due to state politics so whether we like it or not, whether we agree with it or not, if Oklahoma makes a move to the SEC it will most likely be with Oklahoma State as a part of the deal or they may not come. If Oklahoma makes a move to the Pac 12 South, it will include Oklahoma State and probably TCU and Texas Tech.

The best move for them if the Big 12 implodes is a move to the SEC West with Auburn and Alabama going East and Missouri coming to the West. That would re-position the SEC West to Arkansas, A&M, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Miss State in the West and with one crossover game each year that would bring the SEC to 9 conference games each year in each division out of a 12 game schedule.

Whether that happens or not, we will see in due time.

Everything you say is plausible. I tend to discount the Independence route for Texas because I think the Playoff structure will eventually force the Independents into Conferences. But I admit that's just a guess. I also question how tied OU and OSU are if push comes to shove. I think time will put that theory to test. Bottom line is Arkansas will never move to the B12 because that league is doomed to implode.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #411 on: January 13, 2018, 08:14:42 pm »

Everything you say is plausible. I tend to discount the Independence route for Texas because I think the Playoff structure will eventually force the Independents into Conferences. But I admit that's just a guess. I also question how tied OU and OSU are if push comes to shove. I think time will put that theory to test. Bottom line is Arkansas will never move to the B12 because that league is doomed to implode.

Well ordinarily, yes I would agree, but what if...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #412 on: January 13, 2018, 08:19:03 pm »

Another thought, look at Notre Dame. Football wise they are affiliated with the ACC but they have the one caveat that if they are picked for a better bowl, they don't have to adhere to the normal ACC pecking order with regard to bowls. Really, the best of all worlds. Texas could do the same to maintain their independence to a certain degree and Texas is just arrogant enough to believe that if Notre Dame can do it, they should be able to as well.

oldgoat

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #413 on: January 13, 2018, 08:34:34 pm »

I believe that coaches Morris and Chavis will make conference talk irrelevant in 3 years once we're respectable again.  At that point we should resolve to stay in the SEC at least until we've won the conference championship.  Then we can tell people to pound sand, we'll go or stay wherever we see fit.  Of course we can say that now, but no one will listen.  Yet.

TazorTusk

• Varsity
« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »

Muskogee,

How do you really feel about Texas?

;)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #415 on: January 13, 2018, 08:36:43 pm »

Muskogee,

How do you really feel about Texas?

;)

Texas is what I flush every morning.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #416 on: January 13, 2018, 09:03:54 pm »

Texas is what I flush every morning.

If BS were white I could ski across Texas.

No fruit sucks like the big orange of Texas.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #417 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:57 pm »

Please....stop this thread!!!!

https://goo.gl/images/TuvysZ

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #418 on: January 13, 2018, 09:45:13 pm »

Wonder if that Canaan boy done got bant.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #419 on: January 13, 2018, 09:46:40 pm »

I hope he didn’t get banned, but geez...9 pages? Heaven help us.

Hawghiggs

« Reply #420 on: January 13, 2018, 10:12:04 pm »

I believe I've read that they have a larger alumni base in California than anywhere outside of Colorado. Their thinking is that having a presence there improves their ability to fundraise. Plus Utah and the Arizona schools are very natural rivalries for Colorado. I don't see that as a bad move for them, especially with Nebraska in the Big Ten now.

Arkansas to the Big 12 is the same train of thought.  It's more than just football or basketball games. Its about the alumni base and future students. This might seem silly. But athletics is nothing more than commercial.

Torqued pork

« Reply #421 on: January 13, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »

Trying to adjust to life without 3 to 4 surefire conference losses in the schedule would be unsettling. Let's just keep riding SEC coattail$ and reminiscing about the good old days until we die.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #423 on: January 14, 2018, 07:29:29 am »

Arkansas to the Big 12 is the same train of thought.  It's more than just football or basketball games. Its about the alumni base and future students. This might seem silly. But athletics is nothing more than commercial.

You can achieve that end by bringing the B12 to us. Mizzou and A&M are already here. OU wants out of the B12 and would make the jump. Texas would prefer a Texas-centric league but that's not sustainable. Nobody else wants to be a part of it. You've got us in a six-team division with five Texas schools. We've lived that dream. We're not going back to that. And we're not leaving a strong, stable conference for a rickety one that's on the verge of collapse. That's never going to happen. The consequences are too high. The answer for Arkansas in the SEC is to beat the teams on our schedule.

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #424 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:03 am »

I love being in the SEC and all and it has been a nice financial blessing for Arkansas, even if getting hammered and underachieving most of the time. That said, we have generated our share of upsets. That is good as well but I kinda get tired of being thought of as the "giant killer" at those times even though we haven't beaten THE REAL GIANT in quite some time. We've been close at times but most of the time, not so much.

As I posted above, Arkansas isn't ever going to leave the SEC if for nothing other than the money and the stability that this conference provides to a school on a long term basis. But, if the Big 12 could pull the coup of the century and:

1) Be able to negotiate a big enough media package to generate SEC/Big Ten type money for their conference members.
2) That the financial package was contingent upon the Big 12 being able to lure Nebraska back from the Big Ten, Missouri and A&M back from the SEC and adding Arkansas to reach a 14 team conference.
3) The Big 12 agreed to equal revenue distributions among all teams.
4) The elimination of the LHN helped put this together with ESPN/Fox so that a Big 12 Network could be created like the SEC Network.

Then and only then do I think that Arkansas might consider such a move. If all of that happened, I would have no problem with Arkansas leaving the SEC and heading over to the Big 12 which would wind up being a far more regionally correct affiliation for us.

That's a lot of pieces of the puzzle to have to be put together so I seriously doubt that will ever happen, but I would be good with it should all of those pieces fall in place.

This line of thinking will never make sense to me

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #425 on: January 15, 2018, 09:34:03 am »

Still here, sir

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #426 on: January 15, 2018, 09:34:12 am »

Trying to adjust to life without 3 to 4 surefire conference losses in the schedule would be unsettling. Let's just keep riding SEC coattail$ and reminiscing about the good old days until we die.

This post. This post right here is a good one.

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #427 on: January 15, 2018, 09:36:44 am »

You can achieve that end by bringing the B12 to us. Mizzou and A&M are already here. OU wants out of the B12 and would make the jump. Texas would prefer a Texas-centric league but that's not sustainable. Nobody else wants to be a part of it. You've got us in a six-team division with five Texas schools. We've lived that dream. We're not going back to that. And we're not leaving a strong, stable conference for a rickety one that's on the verge of collapse. That's never going to happen. The consequences are too high. The answer for Arkansas in the SEC is to beat the teams on our schedule.

When is that going to happen?

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #428 on: January 15, 2018, 09:40:22 am »

Hugo's post was great.  This post illustrates that conference affiliation is also about location.  Where would Southern Cal go? 

Arkansas is a tweener where location is concerned.  There are probably more campuses within easy driving distance of Fayetteville and Arkansas fans in the Big 12 than the SEC.  Conferences aligned themselves by region from the beginning.  All sports at all levels do this.  Rivalries are built upon proximity.  Arkansas has more natural border rivalries in the SEC, but they aren't as developed as they were in the SWC. 

Realignment has left a few teams like West Virgina isolated.  Nebraska isn't a good geographic fit for the Big 10.  Colorado is a stretch for the PAC 12.  Texas makes no sense there. The SEC and ACC are the only two P5 conferences that overlap significantly.  FSU fits in either conference.

The Big 12 is the weakest P5 conference.  Its members will eventually be absorbed into one of 4 or 8 eight-team conferences that will make up 64 teams in the upper division of what is now the FBS.  The playoff system will drive this, but so will the lack of equilibrium that currently exists within the system.  This NCAA realignment will restore equilibrium and symmetry by region, with emphasis on preserving natural existing rivalries. 

Major realignment between G5 and P5 schools is the only thing that makes sense going forward.  When that happens, those who believe Arkansas is better off looking west may get their wish.

It's all about location, but recent realignment has shown it's not all about location? Huh?

oldhawg

« Reply #429 on: January 15, 2018, 10:09:22 am »

Or maybe getting better in the SEC is another alternative?

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #430 on: January 15, 2018, 10:20:32 am »

Or maybe getting better in the SEC is another alternative?

A) That has not happened in 26 years and looks more unlikely now than ever.

B) The question being discussed is whether or not it would be easier to make the playoff in the Big 12 rather than the SEC. No one has been able to argue that Arkansas is more likely to make the playoff in the SEC than they would be in the Big 12.

Malvin

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2018, 10:30:04 am »

B) The question being discussed is whether or not it would be easier to make the playoff in the Big 12 rather than the SEC. No one has been able to argue that Arkansas is more likely to make the playoff in the SEC than they would be in the Big 12.

The Big 12 is by far one of the weakest conferences out there.. do you really think if Arkansas won the Big 12 that it would be an instant invite to the playoffs?  I think not.  Maybe Texas and OU has the clout to get in but any other team winning the Big 12 in any year will not get an invite into the playoffs.. especially when you have 2 strong SEC teams that will get an invite and any of the other conferences put forth a 1 win team.  Hell, the Big 12 is lucky that UCF didn't get the invite and OU left out.

Simply put the Big 12 is not going to get you into the playoffs and to make matters worse, even if you were lucky enough to get in it does not prepare you to win in the playoffs.  It's to much of a cupcake league.  If you want to win a national championship you have to navigate the road that we are currently on, that road goes through Alabama every single year.  Until we can beat them, we have no business even thinking playoffs or any championship.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2018, 10:30:12 am »

In this case though, Conference stability and financial profitability (SEC) out weigh the better chances of getting in the playoffs (Big 12).

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #433 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:20 am »

The Big 12 is by far one of the weakest conferences out there.. do you really think if Arkansas won the Big 12 that it would be an instant invite to the playoffs?  I think not.  Maybe Texas and OU has the clout to get in but any other team winning the Big 12 in any year will not get an invite into the playoffs.. especially when you have 2 strong SEC teams that will get an invite and any of the other conferences put forth a 1 win team.  Hell, the Big 12 is lucky that UCF didn't get the invite and OU left out.

Simply put the Big 12 is not going to get you into the playoffs and to make matters worse, even if you were lucky enough to get in it does not prepare you to win in the playoffs.  It's to much of a cupcake league.  If you want to win a national championship you have to navigate the road that we are currently on, that road goes through Alabama every single year.  Until we can beat them, we have no business even thinking playoffs or any championship.

A one loss P5 Conference Champ will be in the playoff nearly every time; it's really not that complicated. Also, in response to your bolded statement. Are you serious?

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #434 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:38 am »

A P5 conference champion with 1 or fewer losses is more than likely getting in the playoff. Simple as that

MyBoyCanaan

• Varsity
  • I disagree
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2018, 10:42:54 am »

In this case though, Conference stability and financial profitability (SEC) out weigh the better chances of getting in the playoffs (Big 12).

What is the obsession with the Big 12 collapsing? Do we really think a P5 conference is just going to fail like that?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #436 on: January 15, 2018, 12:07:31 pm »

What is the obsession with the Big 12 collapsing? Do we really think a P5 conference is just going to fail like that?

The Big 12 has been teetering on implosion for years. The Texas schools even tried to move to the Pac 12 a while back and even Oklahoma tried it after A&M and Missouri jumped ship for the SEC.

Murr

• Meatchicken Cowturds!!!
« Reply #437 on: January 15, 2018, 12:28:28 pm »

The Big 12 has been teetering on implosion for years. The Texas schools even tried to move to the Pac 12 a while back and even Oklahoma tried it after A&M and Missouri jumped ship for the SEC.
When the SEC extended an offer to A&M, Slive also sent one to Oklahoma.  OU President David Boren acknowled the invitation but “did not seriously consider it” as it did not include either of OU’s biggest rivals; Texas or Oklahoma State.

I would go further and give OU an invitation and allow them to bring in one more school from a preapproved list; Oklahoma State, Kansas, Nebraska, and (if the votes are there) Texas.

The next round of realignment will be about maximizing profits from content, new/higher in-Market subscriber fees will factor in a little bit but not so prevalently as last time.

Hawghiggs

« Reply #438 on: January 15, 2018, 12:31:39 pm »

It is true that a lot of the Big 12 members looked to go to the PAC. But since 2011-12. The Big 12 has created stability.  They even got the NCAA to change the rules on conference championship games. Something that the PAC 10 couldn't do.

steveaustin69

• Varsity
  • lemme get a mcpick 2
« Reply #439 on: January 15, 2018, 12:34:13 pm »

It is true that a lot of the Big 12 members looked to go to the PAC. But since 2011-12. The Big 12 has created stability.  They even got the NCAA to change the rules on conference championship games. Something that the PAC 10 couldn't do.

Yep, totally accurate. I don't get where this "the Big 12 is going to blow up any day" narrative is coming from.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #440 on: January 15, 2018, 01:14:06 pm »

When the SEC extended an offer to A&M, Slive also sent one to Oklahoma.  OU President David Boren acknowled the invitation but “did not seriously consider it” as it did not include either of OU’s biggest rivals; Texas or Oklahoma State.

I would go further and give OU an invitation and allow them to bring in one more school from a preapproved list; Oklahoma State, Kansas, Nebraska, and (if the votes are there) Texas.

The next round of realignment will be about maximizing profits from content, new/higher in-Market subscriber fees will factor in a little bit but not so prevalently as last time.

I've heard that both OU and Okla State have had SEC invitations on the table for some time now and that Okla State would jump in a heartbeat but OU is holding things up .

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2018, 01:19:21 pm »

No, they haven't created stability.  They recently chose NOT to expand and also chose NOT to strengthen their GOR agreement. Those are not the acts of a stable conference. They are the only P5 conference without a network and Texas will not give up their LHN to allow that to happen. That is another sign of conference instability.

Hawghiggs

« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2018, 01:52:07 pm »

No, they haven't created stability.  They recently chose NOT to expand and also chose NOT to strengthen their GOR agreement. Those are not the acts of a stable conference. They are the only P5 conference without a network and Texas will not give up their LHN to allow that to happen. That is another sign of conference instability.

That's false. The Big 12 had a clause in their contract that allowed them to add new members and the conference would receive 20 million per new member. ESPN/Fox didn't want them to add current G5 members at that rate. So they paid them not to expand. As far as the GOR. Why should they be in any hurry? Only the ACC and Big 12 have a GOR. That's been their best bargaining chip. Why would they sign it early? Now the Longhorn network. Texas isn't going to have a choice on it. The ratings have been horrible for it. ESPN has been canceling shows on it for awhile now.

Pa-Paw

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
    • Picturetrail
« Reply #443 on: January 15, 2018, 04:18:45 pm »

I agree that the B12 is presently unbalanced as far as football, but overall that league looks heather at second glance. There are a lot of folks moving into the B 12 region, so that means there will be lots more TV’s, and more viewers. All of the big Texas cities are exploding in population. Their sports programs over all are first rate with very competitive basketball teams. Look at the top 10. Who knows what the future will bring, however.   

Busta_Nutt

• Varsity
« Reply #444 on: January 15, 2018, 04:34:29 pm »

C'mon now, Melvin. It's not a cupcake league. Is it an offensive-minded league? Sure. But, the B12 has consistently had 4-5 teams per year finish in the Top 25 since its existence. Playing OU, Ok. State, TCU, WVU, and Texas (for rivalry purposes) every year is enough to qualify you as a competitive football program that is deserving of a shot at the National Championship.

Pa-Paw

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
    • Picturetrail
« Reply #445 on: January 15, 2018, 05:42:37 pm »

The very fact that there are 9 pages on this topic is prof that the B12 is in fact an option to the current situation. Beter to have an option than not have one.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #446 on: January 15, 2018, 05:47:47 pm »

This line of thinking will never make sense to me

It isn't difficult to understand. Being in the SEC has been a financial blessing to Arkansas athletics. That's just true.

Have we underachieved and been hammered at times? Yes, that's true as well. I didn't say that I enjoyed seeing us get hammered or underachieving. I just said that it is what has happened at times.

You pick one sentence out of 5 paragraphs and wonder? Read the rest.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2018, 07:16:36 pm »

The very fact that there are 9 pages on this topic is prof that the B12 is in fact an option to the current situation. Beter to have an option than not have one.

Good grief. Repeating something over and over doesn't make it true. Nine pages of absurdity on Hogville has been proven time and again to mean diddly.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:10 pm »

It doesn't matter. The only way Arkansas would ever go to the Big 12 is if they were able to get teams like Nebraska, Missouri and A&M to come back, turned the LHN into the Big 12 Network, had equal revenue sharing among conference teams and had a media package of such proportion that distributions were near or equal that of the SEC or Big Ten. Now is any of that going to happen? Probably not. But if it did, that would be a stable conference again and I would have no problem with us making that move. Short of that, we will be sticking to the SEC.

Tusker4life

• Varsity
  • Hogville member since Jan 19, 2007, 10:30:08 am
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2018, 08:33:46 pm »

As much as I would like to go play Texas again every year, I think we have some scores to settle with Alabama, Auburn and LSU. We can beat them, it’s just a matter of time...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas