Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson....

Started by maddox073, January 06, 2018, 05:44:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHog396

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 07:11:57 pm
I've got a life. I don't get on message boards and bash coaches during the middle of 30+ game season. Only an idiot with no life would do that. And someone that has one iota of basketball IQ wouldn't do that.

I guess you're answer in nowhere? Big IQ there guy.
Actually played plenty back at that age.  Played plenty of pick-up ball with a number of the guys on the '94 and '95 teams when I was on the hill.  Not even going to claim that I was remotely at that level, but was good enough to not look like an idiot when I was on the court with them.

But you are pretty good at proving you have no clue about MA, his history since he's been on the hill, or any understanding of fundamental basketball.  It's the same freaking lack of fundamentals coaching, lack of in-game situational coaching, and overall lack of any understanding of how to get his guys to do what it takes to not look like idiots on the court when we are on the road.

For those of us with a basketball IQ, it's rather easy to get on a message board and dissect all of the glaring problems with MAs coaching, especially when we have seen those problems non-stop for 7 years.  For those of you without a basketball IQ, all you can do is try to throw around juvenile insults, with no content in the discussion.

And just for the record... you don't want to look like a fool by trying to compare IQs with me.

Like I said before... get a life.  And you probably ought to try growing up before you get in a grown man conversation.

King Kong

Quote from: code red on January 06, 2018, 06:59:32 pm
Houston, MSU, Auburn......beat us soundly.  Folks say we are soundly in the dance....are either stupid or hi.

Well we need about 9-10 more wins to be soundly in the dance. But to think that we are going to get there as things stand are stupid or high

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: King Kong on January 06, 2018, 07:24:49 pm
Well we need about 9-10 more wins to be soundly in the dance. But to think that we are going to get there as things stand are stupid or high

Possible to do it, but it will be a stretch.

orvillesghost

Six years in and never a conference championship nor past the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament

And it doesn't look promising for either of those this year.

In all honesty, I don't see how this can be defended. Would any other major school tolerate this?

King Kong

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 06, 2018, 07:26:49 pm
Possible to do it, but it will be a stretch.

Before the season I would have agreed. However the SEC is currently the number 2 conference in RPI. Which will go a long way on select day

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 06, 2018, 07:28:07 pm
Six years in and never a conference championship nor past the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament

In all honesty, I don't see how this can be defended. Would any other major school tolerate this?
Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Miss St, Ole Miss, Mizzou (Besides Mike Anderson), all kinds of major schools haven't even been close to that.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Fan701

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 06, 2018, 07:23:01 pm
Actually played plenty back at that age.  Played plenty of pick-up ball with a number of the guys on the '94 and '95 teams when I was on the hill.  Not even going to claim that I was remotely at that level, but was good enough to not look like an idiot when I was on the court with them.

But you are pretty good at proving you have no clue about MA, his history since he's been on the hill, or any understanding of fundamental basketball.  It's the same freaking lack of fundamentals coaching, lack of in-game situational coaching, and overall lack of any understanding of how to get his guys to do what it takes to not look like idiots on the court when we are on the road.

For those of us with a basketball IQ, it's rather easy to get on a message board and dissect all of the glaring problems with MAs coaching, especially when we have seen those problems non-stop for 7 years.  For those of you without a basketball IQ, all you can do is try to throw around juvenile insults, with no content in the discussion.

And just for the record... you don't want to look like a fool by trying to compare IQs with me.

Like I said before... get a life.  And you probably ought to try growing up before you get in a grown man conversation.
I think you're, like, smart, even a stable genius.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: King Kong on January 06, 2018, 07:24:49 pm
well we have 8 more home games sooo...
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

jmark

anderson is the one.

lets see this team at the end of february
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

elksnort

I've got a life. I don't get on message boards and bash coaches during the middle of 30+ game season. Only an idiot with no life would do that. And someone that has one iota of basketball IQ wouldn't do that.

I guess your answer is nowhere? Big IQ there guy.
Ease up fellow. Its a damn message board.
And you are being very disrespectful.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 06, 2018, 07:23:01 pm

I'd so very love to meet you in person. I'm smiling from ear to ear thinking about it now. It's shows how juvenile you are to suggest having a grown man conversation on the Internet. Pure little pup talk.

Bottom line you're a fool. What just happened? We lost by 11 points on the road and were a 7 point underdog. Whats your suggestion? Firing the coach? Only an idiot would even begin to evaluate a mans job when's it's barely mid season. The man is 37-13 in his last 50 games. That's a winning percentage of 74%. Only a complete idiot that knows nothing about basketball would suggest making a coaching change. And if somebody did make that change they'd be the laughing stock of collegiate athletics.

Now, if you wanna talk the X's and O's of tonight's game let's do it I'll make you look like the fraud you are in that aspect also.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: code red on January 06, 2018, 06:12:22 pm
Classless?  What r we doing here?  Talent is there .

Talent is everywhere. There's no cake walk in the SEC. Auburn has started out fast and A&M has started off slow. We're 1-2. Some things need to get fix. I think getting Cook more minutes will help. Too many things to ve positive about for me.

Knot2brite

There is no sweeter sound than the music made by one who is tooting their own horn
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 07:34:52 pm
I'd so very love to meet you in person. I'm smiling from ear to ear thinking about it now. It's shows how juvenile you are to suggest having a grown man conversation on the Internet. Pure little pup talk.

Bottom line you're a fool. What just happened? We lost by 11 points on the road and were a 7 point underdog. Whats your suggestion? Firing the coach? Only an idiot would even begin to evaluate a mans job when's it's barely mid season. The man is 37-13 in his last 50 games. That's a winning percentage of 74%. Only a complete idiot that knows nothing about basketball would suggest making a coaching change. And if somebody did make that change they'd be the laughing stock of collegiate athletics.

Now, if you wanna talk the X's and O's of tonight's game let's do it I'll make you look like the fraud you are in that aspect also.

I second this motion

Like it is

Zero structure or composure!
When u play at this level in hostile environments, u must have both !!!!!
If u disagree , take up another team to cheer for !!!!!!!!!!!

arkfan81

[/quote]

I'll bite, x's and o's.

Our offensive style is-?

Our defense of style is-?

With the talent and type of roster are you happy with progression?
Have faith...

King Kong

Kevin

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 05:59:43 pm
They’re not Razorback fans. We started off 1-3 in the SEC last year. They just want to get people fired up.

knew that stat was coming.  we shall see if this team turns it around.

next years excuse will be how young we will be
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Kevin on January 06, 2018, 08:02:37 pm
knew that stat was coming.  we shall see if this team turns it around.

next years excuse will be how young we will be
Young and terrible if gafford leaves
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: arkfan81 on January 06, 2018, 07:49:35 pm

I'll bite, x's and o's.

Our offensive style is-?

Our defense of style is-?

With the talent and type of roster are you happy with progression?
Sounds like you just want to interview me? And I also said about tonight's game I guess you want me to give you an overview of the team. I'll bite.

Everybody here knows we want to push the ball and score fast. In the half court we run a motion offense based off screens and cuts.

Defensively we want to be in 50 the entire game. That's our preference. We will match up out of the zone when the time calls for it. We guard the ball the length of the floor.  Our pressure these days is more token pressure but we want the opponent to play hard for 40 minutes. We will trap hard out of it times and try to turn people over.

To your last question, with the exception of the Miss St game I'm pleased overall. We're 37-13 in our last 50 games. We're thin at the guard spot. That's no secret. We play 3 guards that are ready. Jones isn't ready, maybe he'll come along. I think this team will steal 3-4 on the road and hold serve at home by winning them all or losing just one. Basketball teams that play well for all 35 games or so are almost impossible to find at any level.

Now, none of this has to do with tonight's game so thanks for wasting my time.

arkfan81

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 08:17:02 pm
Sounds like you just want to interview me? And I also said about tonight's game I guess you want me to give you an overview of the team. I'll bite.

Everybody here knows we want to push the ball and score fast. In the half court we run a motion offense based off screens and cuts.

Defensively we want to be in 50 the entire game. That's our preference. We will match up out of the zone when the time calls for it. We guard the ball the length of the floor.  Our pressure these days is more token pressure but we want the opponent to play hard for 40 minutes. We will trap hard out of it times and try to turn people over.

To your last question, with the exception of the Miss St game I'm pleased overall. We're 37-13 in our last 50 games. We're thin at the guard spot. That's no secret. We play 3 guards that are ready. Jones isn't ready, maybe he'll come along. I think this team will steal 3-4 on the road and hold serve at home by winning them all or losing just one. Basketball teams that play well for all 35 games or so are almost impossible to find at any level.

Lmao, if you watched tonight's game, did arkansas do any of this tonight?
Have faith...

hogsanity

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 06, 2018, 07:28:07 pm

Arkansas wouldn't either if the coach was not who it is.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: arkfan81 on January 06, 2018, 08:22:37 pm
Lmao, if you watched tonight's game, did arkansas do any of this tonight?
Lmao
Defensively
Yes we played 50
Yes we matched up out the zone
Yes we applied token pressure
Yes we trapped and tried to turn them over

Offensively
Yes we ran a motion offense although stagnant
Yes we tried to push the ball and score fast

Anymore questions? Now if you wanna discuss the game let's do it. I see you have no thoughts of your own on the matter because you don't know what you're talking about. Have zero clue.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 08:17:02 pm

Problem with being in 50 the majority of the time is that we don't hedge very well and too much of the time we get off the fence on the first away pass or we never get on the fence. We rotate horribly, at times, when we do pressure and we have a tendency to over commit even on token pressure...either that or our plan is to rabbit the whole time on trail which we aren't athletic enough to do. I don't mind playing man because it helps us to rebound better. Offensively we push the ball true enough but we do not move well enough at long periods of time and we don't make sharp cuts to the soft spots of the defense. I have seen some improvement of our ability to score from the short corner but we are not consistent enough with the players that need to be shooting that shot. Rebounding may not be our "thing" but it must improve in order for us to win big games. Blocking out is a lost are because it promotes physicality but other teams seem to be able to get away with it and just jumping straight up isn't getting it done. Shooting free throws is the easiest thing you can do..no one guards you and all it takes is muscle memory. I don't want to hear any excuses. So I guess that is my interview or overview for what we are and what we aren't doing
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Danny J

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 06, 2018, 05:57:41 pm
I remember this same thing last season against Mizzou then look what happened
We lost badly at OSU AND at Minnesota then a bit later lose to terrible mizzou team and smoked at home by Vandy. This is nothing new for CMA teams.

Where I have issues is getting past round of 32. That's gonna have to happen soon.

I think going into today's game we were still 8 for our last 14 true road games and over the last 3 years we are #3 in the SEC. We will win a couple at least on the road this season. We can't afford to lose more than 1 at home if that's the case and still be a fairly high seed.

BigHog396

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 07:34:52 pm

You're absolutely cracking me up.

I didn't say a thing about firing the coach right now.  I specifically said if he can't get it turned around right now... as in this season, that it's time to cut him loose.  And you are doing a great job of sounding like FCJ... nothing like breaking things down to last season, and the first part of this season to skew his results.  Because everyone knows that the pre-conference season wouldn't skew a winning percentage or anything.  Let's see how he ends up by the end of this year.

What it boils down to, for me and many other fans, is that I'm tired of not being relevant on a national level.  We haven't been in 20 years, and if after 7 years MA hasn't been able to get us there, he needs to go.  I guess you are satisfied with mediocrity... it's probably the same in your personal life based on your comments to this point.  I'm not, and I believe our program deserves better.

The entire point in the grown man conversation point is that you were being a juvenile buffoon by doing nothing but trying to drag the conversation down to that level.  I am completely saying grow up, and discuss facts... you are the one that started down the punk kid road.  And since you went there... dear lord it would be fun to meet you in person.  Don't know what a grown man conversation has to do with meeting in person... but keep talking big on the internet you keyboard warrior you!

PygmalionEffect2

I've got a life. I don't get on message boards and bash coaches during the middle of 30+ game season. Only an idiot with no life would do that.

So I take it someone that gets on a message board and just bashes other posters during the middle of a 30+ game season is a genius and has an unbelievably exciting and fruitful life.

Hey, that was a dumb post you made.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 06, 2018, 08:33:20 pm

I didn't say a thing about firing the coach right now.  I specifically said if he can't get it turned around right now... as in this season, that it's time to cut him loose.  And you are doing a great job of sounding like FCJ... nothing like breaking things down to last season, and the first part of this season to skew his results.  Because everyone knows that the pre-conference season wouldn't skew a winning percentage or anything.  Let's see how he ends up by the end of this year.

What it boils down to, for me and many other fans, is that I'm tired of not being relevant on a national level.  We haven't been in 20 years, and if after 7 years MA hasn't been able to get us there, he needs to go.  I guess you are satisfied with mediocrity... it's probably the same in your personal life based on your comments to this point.  I'm not, and I believe our program deserves better.

The entire point in the grown man conversation point is that you were being a juvenile buffoon by doing nothing but trying to drag the conversation down to that level.  I am completely saying grow up, and discuss facts... you are the one that started down the punk kid road.  And since you went there... dear lord it would be fun to meet you in person.  Don't know what a grown man conversation has to do with meeting in person... but keep talking big on the internet you keyboard warrior you!
My personal life??? Just again so so stupid here. To pretend you can analyze someone success as a person based on some posts on a message board shows once again how juvenile you are. I don't know who you are. You don't know anything about basketball or team sports. That's a fact.

Once again you prove how dumb you are when it comes to sports, basketball in particular. 50 games is a good sample size. That's why I brought it up. 3 games isn't. To judge a coach on going 1-2 in a 3 game stretch is insane. It's absolute foolishness.

Success or failure isn't measured by one game. You bring up the 7 years. He came here after the worst coach in school history. Somebody that went 2-14 in the SEC. It was a rebuild. Did Howland win right away? Did the saint Pearl? Did Rick Barnes? Did Kennedy at A&M? All were proven coaches....why didn't they come in and knock the doors down?

If you wanna hold the year before last against him that's fine but to not see the winning on the floor and the good recruiting over the last year and a half is once again foolish.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on January 06, 2018, 08:37:27 pm
So I take it someone that gets on a message board and just bashes other posters during the middle of a 30+ game season is a genius and has an unbelievably exciting and fruitful life.

Hey, that was a dumb post you made.
You're so stupid you don't even get the point. I feel sorry for you.

AirWarren

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 06, 2018, 05:57:46 pm
I love the overreaction.

Exactly.

The season is still so dang young in a very competitive conference for sec basketball.

arkfan81

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 08:30:50 pm
Lmao
Defensively
Yes we played 50
Yes we matched up out the zone
Yes we applied token pressure
Yes we trapped and tried to turn them over

Offensively
Yes we ran a motion offense although stagnant
Yes we tried to push the ball and score fast

Anymore questions? Now if you wanna discuss the game let's do it. I see you have no thoughts of your own on the matter because you don't know what you're talking about. Have zero clue.

Listen I get it, your mad. I am too

But everything you just listed did nothing for Arkansas.

They had multiple "extra pass" possessions for open looks. Our defense is out of position or late on switches often. The press or trap defense doesn't have the same effect in today's game.  Why do teams with a good point guard kill us?

Go back and watch our offense, there were many times of standing not moving around. We have two guys who can score but our offense has no rhyme or reason. We have a big guy who can dunk. But that's it.

Haven't you asked" why do teams play slow against us?".. there's a reason on both sides of the ball..

This team has talent true..

Auburn out played us 90% of the game. It wasn't even close..
Have faith...

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: arkfan81 on January 06, 2018, 08:53:26 pm
Listen I get it, your mad. I am too

But everything you just listed did nothing for Arkansas.

They had multiple "extra pass" possessions for open looks. Our defense is out of position or late on switches often. The press or trap defense doesn't have the same effect in today's game.  Why do teams with a good point guard kill us?

Go back and watch our offense, there were many times of standing not moving around. We have two guys who can score but our offense has no rhyme or reason. We have a big guy who can dunk. But that's it.

Haven't you asked" why do teams play slow against us?".. there's a reason on both sides of the ball..

This team has talent true..

Auburn out played us 90% of the game. It wasn't even close..
I don't have to go back and watch anything. You asked me what we ran? I told you. You asked me if we ran that stuff tonight? I told you.

Since you finally brought up the game I'll adress it. The first 5 minutes cost us the game. It was a lack of overall intensity. They came out guns blazing and we weren't ready. It happens to every team sometimes a couple times per year, sometimes 10 depending on the team. It's called coming out FLAT. We weren't locked in. When you're not locked in you don't drop down to help, you don't deny passing lanes, you don't close on the shooter, etc. When you're not locked in you don't move on offense. When you're not locked in you don't sprint down the floor. There wasn't anything schematically that cost us that game.

Auburn outplayed us 90% of the game? Pure bull crap. We outplayed them the entire 2nd half. They went 7 minutes without a basket. But we dug a hole on the road and couldn't get out of it by coming out flat.

We have to learn from that as a team. Mike has to give them the business. I think we will and I think he will.

FYI I personally think Mike made a big mistake by not taking an early TO and chewing ass.

arkfan81

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 09:06:30 pm
I don't have to go back and watch anything. You asked me what we ran? I told you. You asked me if we ran that stuff tonight? I told you.

Since you finally brought up the game I'll adress it. The first 5 minutes cost us the game. It was a lack of overall intensity. They came out guns blazing and we weren't ready. It happens to every team sometimes a couple times per year, sometimes 10 depending on the team. It's called coming out FLAT. We weren't locked in. When you're not locked in you don't drop down to help, you don't deny passing lanes, you don't close on the shooter, etc. When you're not locked in you don't move on offense. When you're not locked in you don't sprint down the floor. There wasn't anything schematically that cost us that game.

Auburn outplayed us 90% of the game? Pure bull crap. We outplayed them the entire 2nd half. They went 7 minutes without a basket. But we dug a hole on the road and couldn't get out of it by coming out flat.

We have to learn from that as a team. Mike has to give them the business. I think we will and I think he will.

FYI I personally think Mike made a big mistake by not taking an early TO and chewing ass.

From the 10:02 the score was 70/51.

To the 4:26 mark 76/67.

What they did is called running the clock and taking time.

From the 4:26 mark till end of the game they scored 12 and we scored 10.

I agree to disagree, you see what you want. Like I said we lost to a team that we should have beat.
Have faith...

BigHog396

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 08:48:39 pm

My personal life??? Just again so so stupid here. To pretend you can analyze someone success as a person based on some posts on a message board shows once again how juvenile you are. I don't know who you are. You don't know anything about basketball or team sports. That's a fact.

Once again you prove how dumb you are when it comes to sports, basketball in particular. 50 games is a good sample size. That's why I brought it up. 3 games isn't. To judge a coach on going 1-2 in a 3 game stretch is insane. It's absolute foolishness.

Success or failure isn't measured by one game. You bring up the 7 years. He came here after the worst coach in school history. Somebody that went 2-14 in the SEC. It was a rebuild. Did Howland win right away? Did the saint Pearl? Did Rick Barnes? Did Kennedy at A&M? All were proven coaches....why didn't they come in and knock the doors down?

If you wanna hold the year before last against him that's fine but to not see the winning on the floor and the good recruiting over the last year and a half is once again foolish.

You are the one that made this personal... so get over the fact that I am nailing it on your life.

I have probably forgotten more about basketball, and team sports, than you have known in your life.  I have been part of plenty of championship teams, when I was younger and playing organized sports, and over the years now in a number of different men's leagues for multiple sports.  But go ahead and keep thinking that you have a clue about anything.

You again prove your bias, by going back to that 50 game sample size, it's not representative of the coach's tenure here.  Learn a little about statistical analysis, and then come talk to me.  I am not judging a coach on a three game stretch... I am judging the coach on the same glaring problems that I have seen out of ALL of his teams for a solid 6.5 year stretch.  Take your 50 game sample size, and I will take my 214 game sample size.  If you need a little clarification... the sample size of 214 games would be the one that is more representative of the coach's abilities, and coaching deficiencies.

Ben Howland is in his third year at MSU, he took over a program that was 13-19 the year before he arrived, and had lost 60 games in the three seasons before he arrived.  That place was the definition of a dumpster fire... how did MA do in his third year?

Bruce Pearl is in his fourth season at Auburn, he took over a program that was 14-16 the year before he arrived, and had lost 55 games in the three seasons before he arrived.  Again, total dumpster fire.

Rick Barnes is in his third season at Tennessee, he took over a program that was in decent shape at best, and was still dealing with the image issues coming off of the Bruce Pearl problems.

Billy Kennedy was hardly a "proven coach" when he was hired by TAMU.  He had a couple of big years at Southeastern La, and at Murray St, but he wasn't even close to having the history that any of the others you mentioned had.  He hasn't done as well at MA, but he's also at a school that doesn't have a fraction of the basketball history we do.

Lastly, MA took over a program that was improving, and had finished 18-13 the year before he arrived.  We were not in good shape, but it was by no means the dumpster fire it was when Pelphrey arrived.

Again, I am taking into account MAs entire time here.  He's had 2 good years out of 6 before this.  You mention his recruiting over the last year and a half, yet if Gafford goes pro, with all of the seniors we are going to lose, we are going to be in a mess again next year.  MAs recruiting has been one of his biggest weaknesses since he has been here.  It has improved over the last two years, but his recruiting the five years before this is a big part of the reason we are no better than we are right now.

Go ahead and keep viewing MA on your limited time frame... I'm going to continue to judge him on his entire body of work here.  Based on that, we have the same coaching problems now, that we had his first year here.

Athog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 06, 2018, 05:53:46 pm
There's a difference in being 4-8 and having NCAA tourney teams recently

Well we will see! This was the "year". We come out flat and lethargic in our early effort, or is the talent lacking??

pigture perfect

If Mike was judged on the same level as Bielema was, they would be called Bert and Ernie.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2018, 08:28:25 pm
Arkansas wouldn't either if the coach was not who it is.

Same old song and dance.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Leadbelly

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 06, 2018, 08:33:20 pm

YEAH! I'M 40! I'M A MAN!...
You're both idiots! Grow up and get out of your moms basement!
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

GA reddiehog

CMA should have been cut loose 2 years ago on his performance, but he should not have been hired to start with.  He should not have been hired or now retained on the past.

BigHog396

Quote from: Leadbelly on January 06, 2018, 10:12:55 pm

YEAH! I'M 40! I'M A MAN!...
You're both idiots! Grow up and get out of your moms basement!
Keep your nose in your own business.

And sorry, not mom's basement... a house and location you could probably only dream of.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: elksnort on January 06, 2018, 07:33:33 pm
Ease up fellow. Its a damn message board.
And you are being very disrespectful.
He has a history of being a message board BA from his moms basement more than likely

tomw

What about bowl games recently

Athog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 06, 2018, 05:57:46 pm
I love the overreaction.

Maybe overreaction or is one accepting what they are seeing on the bench and on the court. It will play out this year. If we turn this positive the then it was a giant overreaction but if not then we may have a rush to get some new leadership.

hobhog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2018, 05:59:43 pm
They're not Razorback fans. We started off 1-3 in the SEC last year. They just want to get people fired up.

Last year is the high bar apparently. It's what everyone thinks razorback basketball is supposed to be.

hobhog

Quote from: tncbg on January 07, 2018, 09:51:31 am
Mike is here to stay, so get over that. Speaking of basketball IQ, those of you who say we have Top 20 talent are totally clueless. This team has one, maybe two NBA prospects. Gafford has the tools, but must develop them a lot more. Barford might have a shot at making a roster, but he isn't showing it lately. That's it, there are no other NBA prospects on the roster. If you think Macon is NBA bound, you don't know basketball. He's a nice college player and can play overseas or maybe d-league, but he's just not good enough to play guard in the league. The rest of the roster is comprised of bit players and players Mike hopes to "coach up". I think Garland could have really helped, but he may never play and probably shouldn't. That's a bad break for Mike, but the screening process may have prevented a tragedy. The bottom line is that Mike is one of very few coaches in D-1 basketball who has never had a losing season, and he's done that without top tier bought and paid for talent. We lost to a better team at Auburn, and set foul records at MS State. Our bench is really struggling right now, so our senior guards are trying to carry us, but they just can't do it. Beard is a gritty player, but he's too small and a step slow for his size. Auburn's guards blew by him like he wasn't there. When Barford and Macon have to exert so much energy on defense, their offense suffers. Because neither has elite speed, they wind up chasing as much as guarding. It's also true that Mike does not appear to teach some of the basic fundamentals. Maybe that's because blocking out and stopping the ball should be ingrained before a player leaves junior high. Maybe we don't stop the ball because our guards are not capable of staying in front of their quicker counterparts. We did rebound better against Auburn, and Mike recognized that pressing a faster team was a bad idea. The bottom line is that they need to go home and regroup. Wins on the road will be hard to come by, but that is not unique to Arkansas. Lots of top 25 teams fell in road games against unranked opponents yesterday. Mike will have us competing for a tourney spot in March, and that is all we should reasonably expect out of this roster. The talent level is going up next year, but that's another thread for another time.

Wow. In year 7. Awesome.

Fan701

Mike is here to stay, so get over that. Speaking of basketball IQ, those of you who say we have Top 20 talent are totally clueless. This team has one, maybe two NBA prospects. Gafford has the tools, but must develop them a lot more. Barford might have a shot at making a roster, but he isn't showing it lately. That's it, there are no other NBA prospects on the roster. If you think Macon is NBA bound, you don't know basketball. He's a nice college player and can play overseas or maybe d-league, but he's just not good enough to play guard in the league. The rest of the roster is comprised of bit players and players Mike hopes to "coach up". I think Garland could have really helped, but he may never play and probably shouldn't. That's a bad break for Mike, but the screening process may have prevented a tragedy. The bottom line is that Mike is one of very few coaches in D-1 basketball who has never had a losing season, and he's done that without top tier bought and paid for talent. We lost to a better team at Auburn, and set foul records at MS State. Our bench is really struggling right now, so our senior guards are trying to carry us, but they just can't do it. Beard is a gritty player, but he's too small and a step slow for his size. Auburn's guards blew by him like he wasn't there. When Barford and Macon have to exert so much energy on defense, their offense suffers. Because neither has elite speed, they wind up chasing as much as guarding. It's also true that Mike does not appear to teach some of the basic fundamentals. Maybe that's because blocking out and stopping the ball should be ingrained before a player leaves junior high. Maybe we don't stop the ball because our guards are not capable of staying in front of their quicker counterparts. We did rebound better against Auburn, and Mike recognized that pressing a faster team was a bad idea. The bottom line is that they need to go home and regroup. Wins on the road will be hard to come by, but that is not unique to Arkansas. Lots of top 25 teams fell in road games against unranked opponents yesterday. Mike will have us competing for a tourney spot in March, and that is all we should reasonably expect out of this roster. The talent level is going up next year, but that's another thread for another time.
Barford and Macon are excellent college talents.  I'm not sure whether that will translate to the NBA or not.  My take is we should have beaten MS State even with the free throw discrepancy, but we went cold at the end, while they threw up two three pointers that went in for the comeback win.  These things happen.  Ask an Aggie fan about it, after what happened to them yesterday.  Now, Auburn actually might be a very good team, maybe they've been underestimated up till now.  Pearl and his staff have spent their money wisely and bought a good team. They looked like a tougher opponent than MS State.  We would have had to play our best to beat them, and we didn't. We're a good team, but there are lots of good teams in the league this year.  There's not a team we face that can't beat us on a given night, and vice versa.

fieldturf

I believe the problem somewhat is the way MA distributes minutes.  For the most part Macon & Barford play ok, but sometimes go cold or try to do to much.  But Mike never takes them out when they make mistakes.  But when Hall, Bailey and CJ come in and don't hit there 1st shot or make a mistake there right back on the bench and there night may be finished.

Then there's A Beard who got arrested a year or so back and has become I guess a model citizen I guess.  However he's a liability on the court and plays way to many minutes.  When he makes a turnover or takes a bad shot he hardy ever comes out.  It likes he's Mike's golden child, where as Bailey, CJ and Hall better not make 1 mistake.  They need more minutes to get into the flow of the game.

Mike plays his seniors regardless if there best out there.  He has some young players who are better than Beard and when the other's go cold or turn the ball over he needs to give them a try!

razorpimp

How many NBA talented kids play for Wichita St?  How about Texas Tech? 

A real coach can overcome a lack of nba talent.

swineology

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 06, 2018, 09:38:25 pm
You are the one that made this personal... so get over the fact that I am nailing it on your life.

I have probably forgotten more about basketball, and team sports, than you have known in your life.  I have been part of plenty of championship teams, when I was younger and playing organized sports, and over the years now in a number of different men's leagues for multiple sports.  But go ahead and keep thinking that you have a clue about anything.

You again prove your bias, by going back to that 50 game sample size, it's not representative of the coach's tenure here.  Learn a little about statistical analysis, and then come talk to me.  I am not judging a coach on a three game stretch... I am judging the coach on the same glaring problems that I have seen out of ALL of his teams for a solid 6.5 year stretch.  Take your 50 game sample size, and I will take my 214 game sample size.  If you need a little clarification... the sample size of 214 games would be the one that is more representative of the coach's abilities, and coaching deficiencies.

Ben Howland is in his third year at MSU, he took over a program that was 13-19 the year before he arrived, and had lost 60 games in the three seasons before he arrived.  That place was the definition of a dumpster fire... how did MA do in his third year?

Bruce Pearl is in his fourth season at Auburn, he took over a program that was 14-16 the year before he arrived, and had lost 55 games in the three seasons before he arrived.  Again, total dumpster fire.

Rick Barnes is in his third season at Tennessee, he took over a program that was in decent shape at best, and was still dealing with the image issues coming off of the Bruce Pearl problems.

Billy Kennedy was hardly a "proven coach" when he was hired by TAMU.  He had a couple of big years at Southeastern La, and at Murray St, but he wasn't even close to having the history that any of the others you mentioned had.  He hasn't done as well at MA, but he's also at a school that doesn't have a fraction of the basketball history we do.

Lastly, MA took over a program that was improving, and had finished 18-13 the year before he arrived.  We were not in good shape, but it was by no means the dumpster fire it was when Pelphrey arrived.

Again, I am taking into account MAs entire time here.  He's had 2 good years out of 6 before this.  You mention his recruiting over the last year and a half, yet if Gafford goes pro, with all of the seniors we are going to lose, we are going to be in a mess again next year.  MAs recruiting has been one of his biggest weaknesses since he has been here.  It has improved over the last two years, but his recruiting the five years before this is a big part of the reason we are no better than we are right now.

Go ahead and keep viewing MA on your limited time frame... I'm going to continue to judge him on his entire body of work here.  Based on that, we have the same coaching problems now, that we had his first year here.