Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bad day for the C-130 Community

Started by Flying Razorback, October 01, 2015, 11:07:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

October 01, 2015, 11:07:57 pm Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:47:56 am by Flying Razorback
We lost one tonight.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2015/10/01/c-130-crashes-afghanistan/73173916/

I hope the leadership was able to get to the families before this spread all over social media.

Tailwinds, brothers.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

cubsfan5150

QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 02, 2015, 03:30:54 pm
Anyone know where it's from yet?

Yeah it came from Dyess AFB in TX.  They're our sister group and we trade the deployments back and forth.  Our guys just came back and they replaced us so we knew it was then last night but they officially announced it this morning.  It's tough these days trying to get notifications out to families ahead of the news and social media.

Squealers

ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

bob slydell

Quote from: Flying Razorback on October 02, 2015, 04:19:45 pm

Yeah it came from Dyess AFB in TX.  They're our sister group and we trade the deployments back and forth.  Our guys just came back and they replaced us so we knew it was then last night but they officially announced it this morning.  It's tough these days trying to get notifications out to families ahead of the news and social media.

Having had to pull the notification duty, there is very little worse than the families finding out second hand that something like this happened. Of course there is no real good way to find out news like this.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: ArmyHawg on October 07, 2015, 06:19:59 am
Having had to pull the notification duty, there is very little worse than the families finding out second hand that something like this happened. Of course there is no real good way to find out news like this.

My wife picked up her phone right after I said "A herk went down..."  She asked where it was from, I told her where it was probably from and so she picked up her phone.  I asked her to please put her phone back down.  She said she was only going to text one of her good girlfriends who is a wife.  I told her to please not and asked how terrible she would feel if the telephone game or social media let her know that I was killed in a crash before she's had the chance to get official notification.  She put her phone down.

I have never had to give notification before.  I'm proud of you and thank you for having had to do such a terrible duty before.

bob slydell

Quote from: Flying Razorback on October 07, 2015, 07:31:56 am

My wife picked up her phone right after I said "A herk went down..."  She asked where it was from, I told her where it was probably from and so she picked up her phone.  I asked her to please put her phone back down.  She said she was only going to text one of her good girlfriends who is a wife.  I told her to please not and asked how terrible she would feel if the telephone game or social media let her know that I was killed in a crash before she's had the chance to get official notification.  She put her phone down.

I have never had to give notification before.  I'm proud of you and thank you for having had to do such a terrible duty before.

It was the strangest feeling. I felt saddened, emotional, empathetic, ashamed, and honored all at the same time. If you ever have to pull that duty, just remember that it's not about your emotions or feelings. You have to be the strong one in this interaction. You just do the best you can to honor the sacrifice that the family has made.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: ArmyHawg on October 08, 2015, 02:44:38 am
It was the strangest feeling. I felt saddened, emotional, empathetic, ashamed, and honored all at the same time. If you ever have to pull that duty, just remember that it's not about your emotions or feelings. You have to be the strong one in this interaction. You just do the best you can to honor the sacrifice that the family has made.

Great advice.  I'm going to keep that one and hope I never have to use it.  Thank you for it.

Old Tusk

Is this the first J model we have lost?
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

LSUFan

My heart goes out to these men, their families, and the men and women who continue to fulfill their duty in similar roles.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Old Tusk on October 08, 2015, 02:01:32 pm
Is this the first J model we have lost?

It's the first one we've lost lives in.  We've had another destroyed in Afghanistan but everyone survived.  The Norwegians lost a J-model with all crew on board and so did the Indians.