Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LCHF Diet

Started by HF#1, March 27, 2015, 04:23:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

Starting it on Monday.  From what I've read, it seems like something I can tolerate and won't have to give up too much.  Basically eliminating any and all sugar, minimal carbs.  Eat all the meat I want and real fats.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

I'm down 5 1/2lbs in a week btw
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogfaniam

Go to Reddit.com.  Search keto/keto diet/keto recipes.  Tons of stuff.  Even the science behind it all.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

TX HOG

Guess it's similar to Adkins. Mostly protien

H&D

I thought the Atkins Diet had pretty much been debunked as a shortsighted gimmick. Sure cutting sugar and carbs will cause you to lose weight in the shortrun. But how healthy (longterm) can it be to shovel fatty red meat down your throat?
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

TX HOG

I have a friend that goes straight protien for a month just to jump start his weight loss in prep for summertime.

HF#1

Quote from: H&D on April 06, 2015, 10:02:08 pm
I thought the Atkins Diet had pretty much been debunked as a shortsighted gimmick. Sure cutting sugar and carbs will cause you to lose weight in the shortrun. But how healthy (longterm) can it be to shovel fatty red meat down your throat?

This a good reference site that explains how it works and why it's a healthy eating plan.  http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Before the industrialized world, this is how humans ate.  Also, the diet doesn't suggest to stop eating all carbs forever.  It mostly promotes eliminating the processed, highly refined sugar. As you lose weight you introduce small amounts of carbs. 

Fat is not bad for you.  Sugar is bad for you. 

QuoteWeight loss without hunger

An LCHF diet makes it easier for the body to use its fat reserves, as their release is no longer blocked by high insulin levels. This may be one reason why eating fat gives a longer feeling of satiety than carbohydrates. It's been shown in a number of studies: When people eat all they want on a low carb diet caloric intake typically drops

So, no counting or food weighing is necessary. You can forget about the calories and trust your feelings of hunger and satiety. Most people don't need to count or weigh their food any more than they need to count their breathing. If you don´t believe it, just try for a couple of weeks and see for yourself.

Health as a bonus

No animals in nature need the assistance of nutritional expertise or calorie charts to eat. And still, as long as they eat the food they are designed to eat they stay at a normal weight and they avoid caries, diabetes and heart disease. Why would humans be an exception? Why would you be an exception?

In scientific studies not only is the weight improved on a low carb diet – the blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol profile (HDL, triglycerides) are also improved. A calm stomach and less cravings for sweet food are also common experiences.

HF#1

Quote from: TX HOG on April 06, 2015, 08:37:19 am
Guess it's similar to Adkins. Mostly protien

Not so much protein as it is fat.  I use heavy whipping cream instead of half n half.  Use whole cheeses, eat lots of eggs, steak, bacon, etc.  Along with veggies.

TX HOG

I have a high protien diet. Try to avoid carbs.

H&D

Quote from: HF#1 on April 08, 2015, 10:23:02 am
This a good reference site that explains how it works and why it's a healthy eating plan.  http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Before the industrialized world, this is how humans ate.  Also, the diet doesn't suggest to stop eating all carbs forever.  It mostly promotes eliminating the processed, highly refined sugar. As you lose weight you introduce small amounts of carbs. 

Fat is not bad for you.  Sugar is bad for you. 

Yes, and people lived to be 50. So I'm not sure if we should looking towards them for dieting advice.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hogfaniam

Quote from: H&D on April 08, 2015, 04:31:59 pm
Yes, and people lived to be 50. So I'm not sure if we should looking towards them for dieting advice.

It wasn't due to diet.  Viruses don't care what you eat.  And, the infant mortality rate is what drug down the avg death age.  Again, bugs.  If you could make it past a year, you were usually good to go for awhile.  Vaccinations have been a big driver of avg age.

Hogfaniam

Since January 9, 30lbs off.  No increase in exercise, all diet.  From 38 to 34 waist.  The biggest benefit to cutting way back on carbs was acid reflux/indigestion was gone in the first week. 

HF#1

Quote from: Hogfaniam on April 08, 2015, 08:13:48 pm
Since January 9, 30lbs off.  No increase in exercise, all diet.  From 38 to 34 waist.  The biggest benefit to cutting way back on carbs was acid reflux/indigestion was gone in the first week. 

My heartburn issues are gone as well.  My afternoon dragass is gone too.  Feel much better and have a lot more energy.

HF#1

Quote from: H&D on April 08, 2015, 04:31:59 pm

whatever floats yer boat man

Hogfaniam

Down another notch on the belt

DeltaBoy

Sounds like what I need to do.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgndaaz

why can't there be a diet that doesn't say cut out beer. It is so good.

Hogfaniam

There are several low carb beers.  5-7 g of carbs ea. You can drink 2 or 6 and still be alright if everything else is 0 carb for thr day

GreenwayTigerHog

Quote from: H&D on April 06, 2015, 10:02:08 pm

Atkins was not supposed to be a meat & cheese diet, but that is what a lot of 'murcans turned it into.   I did it for probably 5 months and ate tons of vegetables every day.  Mostly salads, but a lot of green beans, squash, nuts, chicken & fish.  I ate about everything but starch & sugar.  Pretty much whole natural foods.  There was plenty of ribeyes and bacon mixed in there though.  The first chinks in the armor came for me when all the store bought processed "Atkins approved" snacks came out, plus I just like beer and chocolate too much. 

husker71

ending my 4th day on the Keto diet    down 7.5 lbs and feel really good so far   Breakfast was bacon and cheese omelet   lunch was chicken and vegies (fried green beans and mushrooms)   dinner was small steak and salad with blue cheese      snacks are a problem   with celery with cream cheese  and some cheese but need more choices   shopping was so different   looking for high fat  content seems so foreign after all these years

Hogfaniam

Quote from: husker71 on May 23, 2015, 07:43:22 am
ending my 4th day on the Keto diet    down 7.5 lbs and feel really good so far   Breakfast was bacon and cheese omelet   lunch was chicken and vegies (fried green beans and mushrooms)   dinner was small steak and salad with blue cheese      snacks are a problem   with celery with cream cheese  and some cheese but need more choices   shopping was so different   looking for high fat  content seems so foreign after all these years

Pork rinds.

Your welcome.

Hogfaniam

The basics of why it works. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-diet-lose-weight-cleveland-cavaliers-basketball-nba-2014-10

Getting through the "keto flu"and flipping the metabolic switch is the biggest challenge.

By the weigh, I'm down another belt size to a 33.

HF#1

I'm down 20lbs so far

PorkRinds

Hogfaniam

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 27, 2015, 05:26:48 pm
Hog faniam.

Thanks.

I was a big chip and salsa eater before.  Pork rinds have been a Godsend.

Hogs run wild

what does all this fat and protein do to your cholesterol levels? can't be good right?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hogs run wild on May 29, 2015, 07:39:14 am
what does all this fat and protein do to your cholesterol levels? can't be good right?

Triglycerides dropped like a rock. 

Hogs run wild

Quote from: Hogfaniam on May 29, 2015, 08:27:24 am
Triglycerides dropped like a rock. 
hmmm. Interesting. I am definitely  going to have to try this.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hogs run wild on May 30, 2015, 08:04:03 am
hmmm. Interesting. I am definitely  going to have to try this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=Keto&sort=relevance&restrict_sr=on&t=all

Everything you need to know and more.  The how it works, the why it works, and the recipes. 

Hogs run wild

Thanks! Was going to start this weekend but my wife packed a bag of oreos for snacks. So I'm stuck in the hotel room with no food but carbs. Oh well.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Hogfaniam on May 30, 2015, 12:05:28 pm
http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=Keto&sort=relevance&restrict_sr=on&t=all

Everything you need to know and more.  The how it works, the why it works, and the recipes.

Thank you for posting this... I will do my research, get the groceries tomorrow and have a go at it!

Wooo Pig!!  :razorback:

Hogfaniam

Here is another site that makes the shopping list for you.

https://www.eatthismuch.com

Hogs run wild

I'm down 10# since I started two weeks ago.

Hogs run wild

I'm down to my target weight of 185#. now just have to firm up with exercise.

Hogfaniam

I just cracked 190

SLC

Started yesterday.  Thanks for the information!
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: HF#1 on April 08, 2015, 10:25:15 am
Not so much protein as it is fat.  I use heavy whipping cream instead of half n half.  Use whole cheeses, eat lots of eggs, steak, bacon, etc.  Along with veggies.
Some saturated fats are ok but don't overdo it.  Especially with the fatty meats. 

It's not uncommon to see folks appear to be in great shape with chronic issues that could have been prevented. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on September 23, 2015, 04:22:56 pm
Some saturated fats are ok but don't overdo it.  Especially with the fatty meats. 

It's not uncommon to see folks appear to be in great shape with chronic issues that could have been prevented. 

So there's no such think as a healthy bacon and cheese diet? damnit.

seriously though I keep coming back to this thread and wanting to give it a try. then I see no beer :(

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 23, 2015, 04:47:45 pm
So there's no such think as a healthy bacon and cheese diet? damnit.

seriously though I keep coming back to this thread and wanting to give it a try. then I see no beer :(
Sadly, no.  I'm not opposed to low carb diets and, contrary to expectations, there's some solid research that's come recently that supports low carb diets for control of metabolic syndrome (blood sugar, cholesterol, etc.). 

The only caveats I would throw in are to be careful about overdoing it on saturated fats, don't completely cut out carbs (CNS needs around 100-150g per day to function efficiently), make sure to get several servings of fibrous vegetables/fruits each day, and combine dietary changes with regular exercise.  Sadly, I think these guidelines get overlooked when people go on low carb diets sometimes. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience