Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Either a Scam or Spam - U of A

Started by Maginot, January 23, 2017, 11:55:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Maginot

Received two text messages this morning purportedly from the U of A.   The links in the text messages DO NOT go to any U of A website and regard signing day activities.

Not sure how the U of A would have my business cell number since I would never have given it to them and if I did, I would never have signed up to be spammed with text messages from them.

Either there is a scammer hitting up 479 area code (and maybe more) hoping people will click his link and send money.

OR

The U of A is behind this and has engaged in clearly unethical if not illegal activity. Causing a third party to send me unsolicited text messages is wrong.

I actually hope its the former.

The term "Maginot Line" is now sometimes used as a metaphor for something that is confidently relied upon, but ends up being ineffective. Sound familiar?

Maginot

The term "Maginot Line" is now sometimes used as a metaphor for something that is confidently relied upon, but ends up being ineffective. Sound familiar?

onebadrubi

I called after seeing this, u of a said some scammers used the Ashley Madison list to pinpoint U of a supporters to spam. So you must have been on there...

Haha just kidding. I got the same text but haven't responded nor looked into it

razorshark

I love the smell of napalm in the morning
http://rs218.pbsrc.com/albums/cc30/razorshark50/Napalm.jpg~c100

Maginot

LOL.  You mean my Ashley Madison handle of OneBigHog gave me away?  Drat..

Seriously, this is illegal without explicit written permission.  They have to prove that they have it.  It's a $500 fine per message,so I've racked up an easy $1k and it's triple damages if they willfully violated the law.

Either the U of A or the company they hired is in big trouble.  I'm fed up with all this crap.

I've called the UA Athletic Marketing department and left a message.  We'll see if I get a response.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Maginot on January 23, 2017, 12:15:48 pm

Seriously, this is illegal without explicit written permission.  They have to prove that they have it.  It's a $500 fine per message,so I've racked up an easy $1k and it's triple damages if they willfully violated the law.

Either the U of A or the company they hired is in big trouble.  I'm fed up with all this crap.

Fawk I deleted $1000????

porkchopsdontfloat

I got the same message, and I have a 501 number.
The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

VirginiaHog

I got it too. And  have a 540 Virginia area code.

Reservoir Hogs

Hogaholism

justmakeit2thebcs

LOL.....you mean this one?

Calling Hog Fans! Join us for food, fun, and football at Signing Day w/Coach Bielema  mcause.us/rzhvideo

Tickets mcause.us/rzhtickets

These links take you to the Razorback Club of Northwest Arkansas.  More than likely you probably also go an email from the Razorback Foundation for the same event.  If you are a member of the Foundation, you were contacted.

I wouldn't spend that $1000 just yet.

justmakeit2thebcs

I've called the UA Athletic Marketing department and left a message.  We'll see if I get a response.
Somebody has read the TCPA.

Maginot

Quote from: Karma on January 23, 2017, 01:34:12 pm
Somebody has read the TCPA.

Yep.  Which is why I have a high degree of certainty that I never "opted in" and would have taken any and every opportunity to opt out. 

I've written an email to the company, mobilecause.com, requesting for the appropriate contact to get in touch with me and provide me with the required proof regarding just how and when I explicitly provided permission to contact me in this manner.

If I can ever find "Heather, from Card Services", I'm going to get quite the payback.

Seriously, these are the kinds of thing politicians could make a name for themselves by doing something good for the PEOPLE.  Make the unwanted calls and texts stop. Force the telecoms to stop allowing arbitrary spoofing.  There are legit reasons why companies need to spoof their phone numbers. Fine, make them register that with their telecom. Make it traceable and subject to subpoena.  Make it bonded if necessary. Make it stop.

hogfan14

I'm fed up with all this crap.

Over a text?

I got the same message too but thought it was because I texted "HOGS" during one of the game promotions or something. Didn't get an email though.

nchogg

If I am not familiar with the address then I will search before I click on a link. Just habit.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Maginot on January 23, 2017, 02:23:22 pm
Yep.  Which is why I have a high degree of certainty that I never "opted in" and would have taken any and every opportunity to opt out. 

I've written an email to the company, mobilecause.com, requesting for the appropriate contact to get in touch with me and provide me with the required proof regarding just how and when I explicitly provided permission to contact me in this manner.

If I can ever find "Heather, from Card Services", I'm going to get quite the payback.

Seriously, these are the kinds of thing politicians could make a name for themselves by doing something good for the PEOPLE.  Make the unwanted calls and texts stop. Force the telecoms to stop allowing arbitrary spoofing.  There are legit reasons why companies need to spoof their phone numbers. Fine, make them register that with their telecom. Make it traceable and subject to subpoena.  Make it bonded if necessary. Make it stop.

I told you exactly who sent it.  Call the Razorback Foundation and get your answer.  And if you find Heather from card services, let me know, I'm looking for her too.   I sometimes let the call go thru just so I can talk to a real person.   I then yell profanities at said person, it makes for a wonderful therapy.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 23, 2017, 04:06:17 pm
I told you exactly who sent it.  Call the Razorback Foundation and get your answer.  And if you find Heather from card services, let me know, I'm looking for her too.   I sometimes let the call go thru just so I can talk to a real person.   I then yell profanities at said person, it makes for a wonderful therapy.

That Heather chick is a pain in the ass.  I really hope someone finds her.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

I finally managed to get Heather to stop calling me.  Buy an air horn and when they call opt to talk to a person.  Once you get someone on the line, talk extremely quiet so they have to turn their headset volume all the way up.  Act like you are interested for a few minutes then right when they don't expect it, blow the air horn into the phone.  I did this 3 times and they finally stopped calling me.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

RaisinHog

Quote from: HogFansReunited on January 23, 2017, 04:14:10 pm
I finally managed to get Heather to stop calling me.  Buy an air horn and when they call opt to talk to a person.  Once you get someone on the line, talk extremely quiet so they have to turn their headset volume all the way up.  Act like you are interested for a few minutes then right when they don't expect it, blow the air horn into the phone.  I did this 3 times and they finally stopped calling me.

Lol

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm  Razorback fan and foundation member.  I can't wait to complain about this because there is a law that is supposed to prevent this and the Foundation did it anyway.  I'm going to b!tch about it because they can't do anything right.  I may sue or threaten to sue over this or at the least turn them in so the collegiate athletic program I support will have to pay a fine or pay compensation to me. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

factchecker

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 23, 2017, 06:12:45 pm
I'm  Razorback fan and foundation member.  I can't wait to complain about this because there is a law that is supposed to prevent this and the Foundation did it anyway.  I'm going to b!tch about it because they can't do anything right.  I may sue or threaten to sue over this or at the least turn them in so the collegiate athletic program I support will have to pay a fine or pay compensation to me.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jcbville

I got the texts too. I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a text message. Takes like 2 sec out of my day if I even look at it. And I rarely get any marketing text so I figured it was because I was on their list. No biggie.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 23, 2017, 06:12:45 pm

I certainly hope you are being sarcastic.....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Big trouble? Ha! Gees, what a snowflake. It's a freakin' text....ignore & delete and go on with life.

hog.goblin

1) lighten up Francis, you can "text STOP to unsubscribe" which was on both texts

2) you probably did authorize it by clicking or signing something as a foundation member or as became a foundation member.  I'm sure it was in the fine print somewhere

PorkSoda

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 23, 2017, 07:14:37 pm
Big trouble? Ha! Gees, what a snowflake. It's a freakin' text....ignore & delete and go on with life.
lol, someone wasted 5 seconds of his life, so he is going to spend hours on the phone getting to the bottom of this travesty.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hog.goblin

Quote from: jcbville on January 23, 2017, 06:56:46 pm

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Some ladies wear their panties to tight, that's all

Großer Kriegschwein

You sir, are a genius.

Unfortunately the one I have the worst time with is the Fraternal Order of Police. With my luck, I'd start getting harassed by the local cops.
This is my non-signature signature.

hog.goblin

Back in the day I did this with a 12-gauge shotgun.  Small town living...

Dwight_K_Shrute

I have never given my niece my cell phone number, nor have I ever given her permission to text me.  But she just sent me a message saying "Uncle Dwight if you would like to buy Girl Scout cookies from me click this link"  I can't wait to turn that little sh** and the Girl Scouts in.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 23, 2017, 07:20:43 pm
lol, someone wasted 5 seconds of his life, so he is going to spend hours on the phone getting to the bottom of this travesty.

Ha! Exactly.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 23, 2017, 07:39:05 pm
I have never given my niece my cell phone number, nor have I ever given her permission to text me.  But she just sent me a message saying "Uncle Dwight if you would like to buy Girl Scout cookies from me click this link"  I can't wait to turn that little sh** and the Girl Scouts in.

Lol. They must be stopped! Samoas & Do-Si-Dos notwithstanding.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 23, 2017, 07:39:05 pm

Now you know that when you buy Girl Scout cookies there is an implied contract that they are allowed to text you, email you, call you, mail you, knock on your door, hang out at your place of work, and camp in your yard about future Girl Scout cookies for the next 3 years.

If you fail to buy an equal or greater number of boxes compared to last year then it's extended to 12 years.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogmolar

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 23, 2017, 07:20:43 pm
lol all while going on a message board to tell complete strangers what is going on.

Sivad

Either the U of A or the company they hired is in big trouble. 
I'm fed up with all this crap.

Somebody needs a drink.

hobhog

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 23, 2017, 07:19:37 pm
1) lighten up Francis, you can "text STOP to unsubscribe" which was on both texts

2) you probably did authorize it by clicking or signing something as a foundation member or as became a foundation member.  I'm sure it was in the fine print somewhere

This. Take 5 seconds to text STOP and you never have to receive thier texts again. Then you can tweet and Facebook your heart out all day with no interruptions.

Tony Perkis

I was just happy somebody texted me.

LZH

hawgXi

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2017, 12:03:03 pm
I called after seeing this, u of a said some scammers used the Ashley Madison list to pinpoint U of a supporters to spam. So you must have been on there...

Haha just kidding. I got the same text but haven't responded nor looked into it

har