Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: I didn't leave my house for 48 hours after losing that game

Started by gchamblee, January 23, 2017, 07:27:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardcore Hoggy

SMH this thread stays in MMQB but the entire Politics subforum gets zapped for getting "too personal"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: #1Fan on January 23, 2017, 11:36:14 am
Smith stated that he had "philosophical differences with coach Bielema" and resigned.  Either that's true, or he was fired.  None of us will ever know.

I remember reading that as well. I bet Bielema has a philosophy of having better defenses than Rob had..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: gchamblee on January 23, 2017, 11:33:05 am
So, you're saying that autocorrect is changing were to where, but it isn't changing grammer to grammar? You should probably buy a new phone.

Back to the topic.  Arkansas is at a disadvantage because the coach doesn't have enough staff support and each game a player or two blows it for the whole team.

#1Fan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 23, 2017, 11:39:39 am
I remember reading that as well. I bet Bielema has a philosophy of having better defenses than Rob had..........................
Or the 4-3, 3-4 thing.

gchamblee

Quote from: #1Fan on January 23, 2017, 11:37:38 am
Since we are in grammar class.

Thank you for the correction. I always welcome these kinds of corrections because I truly do have a desire to write better.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: gchamblee on January 23, 2017, 11:43:39 am
Thank you for the correction. I always welcome these kinds of corrections because I truly do have a desire to write better.

Goodnuss budy can we paluezz git bck on topik?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Carl Lazlo

LZH

You guys need to ramp it up...speed it up. I'm having my truck serviced and am NOT interested on the Field & Stream or Cabelas catalog.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2017, 11:19:24 am
You might if you had a woman to enjoy
Ha Ha Ha...I know that's right. This is a no brainer. A good looking one at that.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Oklahawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 23, 2017, 11:37:42 am
My apologies to everyone. I should have ignored the personal attack and not gotten into the gutter with him.  One day I'll learn my lesson.  :-\

Hey, at least you own up to it. That is about as good as it gets around here.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 23, 2017, 11:37:42 am
My apologies to everyone. I should have ignored the personal attack and not gotten into the gutter with him.  One day I'll learn my lesson.  :-\
After 28,168 post? I doubt it.

Oklahawg

GChamblee, good thread that went dumpster diving. Sorry about that.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

gchamblee

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 23, 2017, 12:00:30 pm
GChamblee, good thread that went dumpster diving. Sorry about that.

I expected it, but I wanted the original article to be there for those that could find value/interest in it.

Oklahawg

There are 112 replies and over 1800 views as I type.

Probably 200 different people have read the thread, and another 50 who aren't logged in or members have read it as well. Of those 250, I would bet that less than 10 have the professional capacity to perform at the level they expect of CBB...on the two days following the bowl game (let alone at any point during the six months of "the season"). That isn't just an observation. Because they are incapable of performing at an elite level themselves they are incapable of understanding what it is like to perform at that level...at all.

The worst of the worst coach at UA still out-perform the average worker by some measure. Even Smile.

Someone nailed that correctly, but I didn't want to read the garbage again to find it and honor them with a quote.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 23, 2017, 07:42:29 am
So our coach hid in a house for two days instead of leading his team,  great.

Kids went home for Christmas Break after bowl... Good try, though...
Calling the Hogs from DFW

jabberjawls

How about - It took him two days to count all the money he made this year.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jabberjawls on January 23, 2017, 12:09:16 pm
How about - It took him two days to count all the money he made this year.

Nah he has money counters.

factchecker

Why is this news now.  He said this on Saturday during the press conference.  Did none of you hear it or did it not become an issue until someone quoted the exact phrase? Did you expect us to have 2-a-days the day after the bowl?  Did you expect him to cancel flights and Christmas vacations to keep our players here?

In regards to the Drew Morgan quote.  That is not throwing under the bus.  If you watched the video and heard the quote in context he was talking about the teams consistency.  He mentions later that offensive line didn't have too much of an issue with false starts in the first half but it became an issue in the second half..... I guess he threw the whole offensive line under the bus.  He also talked about inconsistency in the pre-season and fall camp.  How the team would practice great one week but not do so well the next.  The whole theme of the press conference was on fixing the inconsistency in the program..... you would have known that if you watched the original video.

What Bielema didn't do is make light of and joke about Sprinkle's off the field incident and Drew spitting like I've seen "fans" do.  That would have been throwing someone under the bus.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2017, 10:52:49 am
Name is 2 posters who defend him to the point of choosing him over the lives of their families?  Also what is your other name on here?
Are we getting defensive... ??? ...Never mind. Coach Beilema has done an outstanding job since he's been here... ;D

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 23, 2017, 12:15:13 pm
Are we getting defensive... ??? ...Never mind. Coach Beilema has done an outstanding job since he's been here... ;D

Meh wouldn't go that far. But I don't think anyone here is going to the extremes the poster portrayed.

jabberjawls

I didn't get to see the interview -- Did he explain why this has happened ever since he got here or was his explanation just limited to the Belk Bowl?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2017, 12:18:05 pm
Meh wouldn't go that far. But I don't think anyone here is going to the extremes the poster portrayed.
Lol...I know right. I think there are certainly some things he could have done better as the Head Coach but I'm not one that wants him gone because I can see what he's trying to do. I can see what he's trying to build. The question is can he get it built? I haven't lost all confidence yet.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 23, 2017, 12:04:12 pm
There are 112 replies and over 1800 views as I type.

Probably 200 different people have read the thread, and another 50 who aren't logged in or members have read it as well. Of those 250, I would bet that less than 10 have the professional capacity to perform at the level they expect of CBB...on the two days following the bowl game (let alone at any point during the six months of "the season"). That isn't just an observation. Because they are incapable of performing at an elite level themselves they are incapable of understanding what it is like to perform at that level...at all.

The worst of the worst coach at UA still out-perform the average worker by some measure. Even Smile.

Someone nailed that correctly, but I didn't want to read the garbage again to find it and honor them with a quote.

That is true, but on the other hand , it is doubtful that ANYONE who is reading this board , or who has posted in this thread is being paid anywhere near what Bielema is being paid either.

Do you think Any Alabama fans woke up the day after the national championship game and thought "gee it's okay that Saban lost that game because none of our fans could even get the team TO that level of a game?"

Of course the answer to that question is no. Bielema deserves at least most of the scrutiny he receives on here and other places . And by scrutiny I mean actual scrutiny not the name calling and or garbage like complaining about a guy staying at home for 2 days at the end of the season.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 23, 2017, 12:20:33 pm
Lol...I know right. I think there are certainly some things he could have done better as the Head Coach but I'm not one that wants him gone because I can see what he's trying to do. I can see what he's trying to build. The question is can he get it built? I haven't lost all confidence yet.

I actually take a different thought than many as well as most here would think by what I say.

I think he's building a great foundation if he can truly get it going. That is red shirting 2-3 OL, a good QB every year, a top RB, and solid defensive players along with the sprinkled in studs he's gotten each year. We have a top RB again in this class, THE top juco WR, and in a couple top DB's that I think he at least gets one of, not to mention already getting brown. He keeps this up year after year for a few more years he has built a great foundation.  I think that we will be a very attractive job AFTER Bielema that we will attract anyone we want, which we couldn't say in the last couple of searches. And in the meantime if he gets it done then GREAT!!!  I fully expect him here though a minimum of 2 more years but probably more like 4

HF#1

Bret's ego is the sole reason Robb Smith is no longer here. Rhoads will encounter the same problem eventually.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HF#1 on January 23, 2017, 12:33:33 pm
Bret's ego is the sole reason Robb Smith is no longer here. Rhoads will encounter the same problem eventually.
I hate to say this but I can see that... :-\ ...The ego part that is. But the fact is that most coaches are control freaks. It's the best ones that know when to be and when not to be.

Vantage 8 dude

Perhaps; then again unlike some folks I'm at least willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until it's proven otherwise. Maybe SOME of you ought to try it as well....who knows ???....perhaps we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

hobhog

Huh? So you think RS should still be here? Love to hear what you'd have said if that had happened!

The defense underperformed badly. Head coach has to make the decisions/changes ultimately. He did and Smith disagreed. End of that story.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 23, 2017, 08:20:45 am
And you are the one tourist that decided to drink the local water.  If we are trying to be clever,  you are the tourist that believes all is well on the hotel strip in Cancun while be ambivalent about all the crime and poverty the next street over.  You are the tourist and the crime and poverty is discontention in the locker room and lack of leadership from our coaches.

Ok...so let me get this straight...anyone (the tourists) who reads too much of what you (the water) will only themselves begin to spew crap uncontrollably...all because of you?

Guess that's about right...what goes in, eventually comes out...right...?

Note to HV readers...DON'T READ HOG SOLO... the results are never good...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: gchamblee on January 23, 2017, 07:27:56 am
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-I-dont-think-I-left-my-house-for-48-hours-after-losing-that-game

"To lose that game the way we did, for 48 hours I don't think I left my house," Bielema said of the Belk Bowl. "It was a dead period in recruiting and I wanted to take a moment to collect. I had to have some tough conversations with people, professionally, about where things are and where we needed to go."

"We just played differently," he said. "There was so much of a 'We're not going to let this happen again,' everybody going into the locker room, and then you almost talk yourself into it. Drew Morgan, who had never fumbled, fumbles the last two plays of his career. Things uncharacteristic to who we are, that hurts you.

Coaches look over everything in the offseason. That's especially important in this situation. Bielema said he first approached defensive backs coach Paul Rhoads about the idea of becoming defensive coordinator when the season ended. When Robb Smith went to Minnesota, Bielema spoke with candidates, including Bob Diaco, and ultimately moved Rhoads up. Bielema doesn't expect to have any other changes among the full-time staff.

He said the same thing before Robb Smith "left"
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

greenEGnHAWGS

Brets ego was the reason this defensive squad broke records for abysmal performances...? That's an interesting story...please tell us more...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: twistitup on January 23, 2017, 12:51:39 pm
He shoudnt have singled out one player
he wasn't singling him out.  he used him as an example saying that he is a guy that never fumbles.

He was pointing out that sometimes when you try too hard not to make a mistake, you end up making more.

the SEC West is an uphill battle.  there are going to be a lot of lessons and obstacles to overcome.

the team and coaches will learn from this year and move forward stronger because of it.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 23, 2017, 12:54:18 pm
he wasn't singling him out.  he used him as an example saying that he is a guy that never fumbles.

Come on, obviously he singled out Morgan . Yes he did also state that he's never fumbled before, but he pointed HIS mistakes out specifically. A good leader NEVER does that in public, not ever. Not even to say "Well usually this guy doesn't make mistakes, but today he made two"

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 23, 2017, 12:52:43 pm
no he didn't he said he would address staff after the bowl.

Wrong again. Bielema CLEARLY did say after the Mizzou game that he was't planning on making any staff changes. He also said that he wouldn't rule it out however.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-bret-bielema-not-planning-on-staff-changes-but-wont-rule-them-out-either

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 23, 2017, 01:00:03 pm
Wrong again. Bielema CLEARLY did say after the Mizzou game that he was't planning on making any staff changes. He also said that he wouldn't rule it out however.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-bret-bielema-not-planning-on-staff-changes-but-wont-rule-them-out-either
obviously there was a chance that RS would have coached a masterful game and save his job.  you have to read between the lines of coach speak.  it was obvious that RS was coaching for his job in the bowl game.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 23, 2017, 12:58:07 pm
Come on, obviously he singled out Morgan . Yes he did also state that he's never fumbled before, but he pointed HIS mistakes out specifically. A good leader NEVER does that in public, not ever. Not even to say "Well usually this guy doesn't make mistakes, but today he made two"

apparently you lack the ability to perceive anything other than the literal.  context matters.  he obviously was not trying to blame the loss on Morgan.  If that is all you got out of it, then thats on you. 

and by the way, if you have to edit a quote to make your point then you may need to rethink your point

the full quote

"We just played differently," he said. "There was so much of a 'We're not going to let this happen again,' everybody going into the locker room, and then you almost talk yourself into it. Drew Morgan, who had never fumbled, fumbles the last two plays of his career. Things uncharacteristic to who we are, that hurts you.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 23, 2017, 01:02:51 pm
apparently you lack the ability to perceive anything other than the literal. 

I won't engage in your tit for tat insults. I will only reiterate, a good leader never say anything like  "well so and so usually doesn't fumble , but he did today."

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 23, 2017, 01:05:01 pm
I won't engage in your tit for tat insults. I will only reiterate, a good leader never say anything like  "well so and so usually doesn't fumble , but he did today."

just calling it like I see it.

you would have to have an agenda to interpret that as blaming morgan.

considering you had to edit a quote to make your point, that should be a red flag.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 23, 2017, 12:43:54 pm
Brets ego was the reason this defensive squad broke records for abysmal performances...? That's an interesting story...please tell us more...
Some people seem to think that Robb Smith was only running the defensive scheme that Beilema wanted him to run. They say he blitzed a lot when he was the DC at Rutgers but he played a basic bend but don't break defense when he was here. I guess we're about to find out if this is true or not...

LZH

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 23, 2017, 12:20:33 pmI haven't lost all confidence yet.

I am trying to hang on, but my fingernails are dug in about as far as they can go.

hawgon

So once again, why do we, according to Bielema, have one of the smallest staffs in the SEC?  Why do we apparently have limits that no one else does?

LZH

Quote from: hawgon on January 23, 2017, 01:37:33 pm
So once again, why do we, according to Bielema, have one of the smallest staffs in the SEC?  Why do we apparently have limits that no one else does?

It does sound like that is what he is saying in that PC.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on January 23, 2017, 01:37:33 pm

Would be nice if a media member would look into this for us. Don't hold your breath though.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 23, 2017, 01:22:50 pm
Some people seem to think that Robb Smith was only running the defensive scheme that Beilema wanted him to run. They say he blitzed a lot when he was the DC at Rutgers but he played a basic bend but don't break defense when he was here. I guess we're about to find out if this is true or not...

I have heard this a lot over the course of the last few months. "Bielema is forcing RS to run this defense" or "If Beilema would let RS run the defense and stay out of it we'd be better off" If this was the case what would be the point of "parting ways" with Robb Smith? After the Auburn game wouldn't Robb Smith say "hey look we did it your way, but your are ruining my good name and potentially my career by having me put up the worst defense in the country.  I disagree with my boss all the time I don't just do whatever he says. In the end he has veto power, but I run my department the way I see fit.  My boss looks at the results. If they don't meet what he thinks we should be doing then eventually I will also be "going to Minnesota".  But it is my tail on the line for the production of my department.  I can't imagine that Bielema forced Robb Smith to run a defense that didn't work in the least and then at the end of the day said, well your'e fired pal for running such a poor defense. Robb Smith is a grown man with a career and a reputation to protect why would he not say something if that was happening.   In all of the press conferences that he did here he could have said something like; " defense didn't perform like we wanted them to but coach B believes in this defensive philosophy and we are going to stick with it" or "I have run a slightly different defense in the past but this is what coach B thinks will work best with our personnel and as the DC I'll run the defense however he wants it".  I could be dead wrong but it doesn't make much sense to me.     

onebadrubi

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 23, 2017, 01:45:38 pm
I have heard this a lot over the course of the last few months. "Bielema is forcing RS to run this defense" or "If Beilema would let RS run the defense and stay out of it we'd be better off" If this was the case what would be the point of "parting ways" with Robb Smith? After the Auburn game wouldn't Robb Smith say "hey look we did it your way, but your are ruining my good name and potentially my career by having me put up the worst defense in the country.  I disagree with my boss all the time I don't just do whatever he says. In the end he has veto power, but I run my department the way I see fit.  My boss looks at the results. If they don't meet what he thinks we should be doing then eventually I will also be "going to Minnesota".  But it is my tail on the line for the production of my department.  I can't imagine that Bielema forced Robb Smith to run a defense that didn't work in the least and then at the end of the day said, well your'e fired pal for running such a poor defense. Robb Smith is a grown man with a career and a reputation to protect why would he not say something if that was happening.   In all of the press conferences that he did here he could have said something like; " defense didn't perform like we wanted them to but coach B believes in this defensive philosophy and we are going to stick with it" or "I have run a slightly different defense in the past but this is what coach B thinks will work best with our personnel and as the DC I'll run the defense however he wants it".  I could be dead wrong but it doesn't make much sense to me.   

We have since been told by Mike Irwin that Robb was stubborn in demanding we use a 4 man front. I think that says all we need to know the Bielema let him have his way and mid season Bielema went and put his foot down. We saw Bielema force a few dline position changes and they helped.

Al Boarland

I'll be paying close attention to how he talks about the team going into next season. This season he spoke very highly of the depth on the D-line and was confident he had answers for the O-line.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 23, 2017, 01:07:15 pm
just calling it like I see it.

you would have to have an agenda to interpret that as blaming morgan.

considering you had to edit a quote to make your point, that should be a red flag.

I have no agenda. To be honest , I barely even care about the Razorbacks any more, certainly not enough to care whether Bielema is the coach or not.

As for editing quotes, I did no such thing. I'm merely telling you. Praise in public, scorn in private. That is leadership in dealing with people. He singled Morgan out as making a mistake he usually doesn't. Was it that huge of a deal? No, but to sit here and act like "no he didn't single Morgan out" when he clearly did is just flat out being dishonest.