Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Kamren Curl chose Arkansas

Started by Biggus Piggus, January 20, 2017, 06:55:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

This is not a post for the recruiting forum. It is a post for here. It is a post for those who claim that broadcasting their exaggerated, nonstop negativity is irrelevant to the destiny of the Razorbacks.

Kamren Curl, Muskogee defensive back, was asked why he committed to Arkansas:

"The biggest thing was the fan base," Curl said. "The fan base is real loyal. You want a good fan base to back you up. (Also) the coaches, and it was like a family atmosphere."

The only thing we can do to help is to be Razorback fans. You can withhold your love if you feel like it. You might carry on a personal campaign to get some coach fired.

It does not help the Razorbacks to have people ranting on radio shows, attacking everything on message boards, and leaving Bud Walton Arena mostly empty. You know those big Fayetteville crowds made a huge difference in recruiting this season.

We can debate the way things are done, and I will continue to do that always. Just remember, though, the only good thing we can do is be Razorback fans.
[CENSORED]!

Dr. Starcs

Which is why I was surprised when you posted "Prepare for more suck" in the jump ball forum about the Hogs/a&m prediction thread.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 20, 2017, 07:01:27 am
Which is why I was surprised when you posted "Prepare for more suck" in the jump ball forum about the Hogs/a&m prediction thread.
Busted lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

M L (bassplayer)

LRRandy

message boards work better when you talk out of both sides of your mouth.
This is fun, isn't it.

JackJohnson

BP is hands down the most bi-polar poster on HV when it comes to football and basketball.  He changes from on or off the bandwagon with the wind almost daily.  Like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get: pro or anti on any given day

Little Lady Back

Ha!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

JIHawg

I think it's a good post.  Many of us post positive one day and negative the next.

What's novel here, and what a lot of the more negative, one-note Johnnys will miss, is this notion that a message board is not the place to air your dirty laundry.  That would require message boards to grow up in their evolution.  As long as there are jr highers, prisoners, malcontents, mental cases, trollers from other schools, and other riff raff able to get on here anonymously, I just don't see this happening.

Now if message boards made posters use their real name, and maybe a tag line, like mine would say, retired pharmacist in Conway, that might actually clean up all the drivel.  Maybe. 

That's the next step in the evolution of message boards.

Dirty

Well, that has to have a little sting to it!

Oklahawg

If we put 2 and 2 together ... oh hell, I don't think anyone is interested right now.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jkstock04

Speaking of an empty Bud Walton...talk to the "we don't need ya anyways" crowd so often seen on here.

If they aren't careful...same thing will happen with the football program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

lutherheggs

Quote from: LRRandy on January 20, 2017, 07:11:26 am
message boards work better when you talk out of both sides of your mouth.
lol!

Dominicanhog

what do you call a poster who says one thing but does the exact opposite?  a Biggus Piggus?

DEVIL DOG HOG

Welcome Kamren Curl, It's a great day to be a Hog.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Hogville was originally started as a chat board for people that suffer from and been diagnosed as bi-polar. Just turned out that there were so many Razorback Fans with this issue that the format and name was changed.
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

DeltaBoy

The Bud Dome been hurt be bad basket ball and the SEC TV package that has every game on TV now days.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

One can criticize without being negative. I think most people realize that fans are not going to be happy with everything that goes on, especially during or after a loss. Biggus has often pointed out shortcomings on the football team. Usually his criticism is backed up with numbers, statistical analysis.

His Op here was pretty specific, those saying they won't go to games anymore/donate anymore. He rightly pointed out the difference in the crowds for football and basketball. Would this player have committed for football had DWRRS been half or more empty for the game(s) he attended as a recruit, or games he might have watched on tv? That is what Biggus is talking about.

However, there does come a time when empty seats are a detriment, and can only be fixed by changing coaches. We are no where near that in football, and basketball crowds may be better going forward if they keep winning.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TNhawgfan

Love your new avatar Biggus. Master of Reality indeed!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 20, 2017, 08:12:21 am
One can criticize without being negative.

Yes one can.. but when almost every single post says the same thing over and over and over.. I call that being negative...

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 20, 2017, 08:15:18 am
Yes one can.. but when almost every single post says the same thing over and over and over.. I call that being negative...
Well, if it's an even number of negatives, that would make the end result a positive.

farmhawg

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 20, 2017, 07:54:49 am
what do you call a poster who says one thing but does the exact opposite?  a Biggus Piggus?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 20, 2017, 08:16:39 am
Well, if it's an even number of negatives, that would make the end result a positive.

I guess.. and saying Mike sucks, Mike's in over his head, Mike can't coach or Mike has got to go, is not really saying the same thing over and over is it?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 20, 2017, 08:20:12 am
I guess.. and saying Mike sucks, Mike's in over his head, Mike can't coach or Mike has got to go, is not really saying the same thing over and over is it?
You do the math...   ;)

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 20, 2017, 06:55:05 am
This is not a post for the recruiting forum. It is a post for here. It is a post for those who claim that broadcasting their exaggerated, nonstop negativity is irrelevant to the destiny of the Razorbacks.

"The biggest thing was the fan base," Curl said. "The fan base is real loyal. You want a good fan base to back you up. (Also) the coaches, and it was like a family atmosphere."

The only thing we can do to help is to be Razorback fans. You can withhold your love if you feel like it. You might carry on a personal campaign to get some coach fired.

It does not help the Razorbacks to have people ranting on radio shows, attacking everything on message boards, and leaving Bud Walton Arena mostly empty. You know those big Fayetteville crowds made a huge difference in recruiting this season.

We can debate the way things are done, and I will continue to do that always. Just remember, though, the only good thing we can do is be Razorback fans.
Which is why it is pretty clear that the majority of the fan base is not represented by the vicious, know-it-alls on this board. Thank God.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

farmhawg

Yep, big difference between MA and Brett but all the things tgey give credit to on one they can't see with the other.

I still think it comes down to one big difference.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

RazorPiggie

Quote from: farmhawg on January 20, 2017, 08:24:05 am
Yep, big difference between MA and Brett but all the things tgey give credit to on one they can't see with the other.

I still think it comes down to one big difference.

One's in shape while the other isn't?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 20, 2017, 08:31:12 am
One's in shape while the other isn't?

actually CBB is in pretty good shape for an overweight DL....

Biggus Piggus

They asked for a prediction. That's what it was. Happy I was wrong. The relentless hammering is what I'm talking about.
[CENSORED]!

kaki

BP, it would seem to me your comment is more than appropriate to stand on its merits and one that I agree with, but as not uncommon on this board when one cannot attack the message then attack the messenger. If the fact that we have all posted something on the board in the past that appears inconsistent with a later post is prohibition to further posting, then there would likely be no activity on the board!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: kaki on January 20, 2017, 09:04:12 am
BP, it would seem to me your comment is more than appropriate to stand on its merits and one that I agree with, but as not uncommon on this board when one cannot attack the message then attack the messenger. If the fact that we have all posted something on the board in the past that appears inconsistent with a later post is prohibition to further posting, then there would likely be no activity on the board!

Yep - game threads, especially, exist in their own special world.
[CENSORED]!

ARKANSAS@HOGS

Gonzo

I'm led to believe most message boarders, particularly the extremists, overestimate their relevance and impact.

Go Hogs!

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 20, 2017, 06:55:05 am

Agree.  I have said since fans ran off Hatfield, Richardson, and Nutt that all the negativity does is undermine the programs, hurts recruiting, and accomplishes very little.  Everytime anyone posts this, it is hit with recruits don't read the boards, it doesn't really make a difference, etc. 

Negativity hurts the program.  Period!

azhog10

Classic!

Insert Michael Jackson popcorn GIF.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 20, 2017, 08:41:06 am
They asked for a prediction. That's what it was. Happy I was wrong. The relentless hammering is what I'm talking about.

Posts like that add to the hammering.  Just as bad.  Your post implied the team sucks, the coach sucks, it has sucked for a long time, and will continue to suck with the current coach for every reader that already has those feelings and especially those inclined to always go dark.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Gonzo on January 20, 2017, 10:14:57 am
I'm led to believe most message boarders, particularly the extremists, overestimate their relevance and impact.
True, but I also believe message boards themselves have no real impact. ADs aren't hiring or firing because of what message boards say. Recruits aren't choosing schools because of what message boards say. I look at a lot of message boards that are out on the net, and hogville is actually one of the more positive ones I read

Gonzo

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 20, 2017, 10:20:26 am
True, but I also believe message boards themselves have no real impact. ADs aren't hiring or firing because of what message boards say. Recruits aren't choosing schools because of what message boards say. I look at a lot of message boards that are out on the net, and hogville is actually one of the more positive ones I read

That was pretty much my gist. I doubt HV is a consideration for many, if any, significant decisions regarding Razorback athletics.

Go Hogs!

Tejano Jawg

Good post...starter post.

I have never understood the time devoted to (or wasted on) big things like "Let's fire Coach ________." Followed by "Then, who would we get in here?" Etc, etc. Like anyone here has anything to do with that. Threads like this can go multiple pages fast.

As for some coaching decisions, I can bitch plenty. And this may be an equally pointless waste of time, but it makes me feel better. Like if I keep questioning why we hit the same part of the line—on the goal line, against the Aggies—maybe it will have some magical effect on our future playcalling.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jgphillips3

Uttering the word "Hogville" let's people know what they are about to see every bit as much as "allahu akbar" let's you know a poop storm is about to hit.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 20, 2017, 10:17:50 am
Posts like that add to the hammering.  Just as bad.  Your post implied the team sucks, the coach sucks, it has sucked for a long time, and will continue to suck with the current coach for every reader that already has those feelings and especially those inclined to always go dark.

No, I expected Arkansas to lose at College Station like MA had done three times before at Arkansas and three times before at Missouri (they only played there every other year).

Regardless, I'm careful to balance my negative posts with some objective ones + rebut the people who hammer on wrongheaded views such as "MA never changes."
[CENSORED]!

trashcan maN

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 20, 2017, 10:42:30 am
No, I expected Arkansas to lose at College Station like MA had done three times before at Arkansas and three times before at Missouri (they only played there every other year).

Regardless, I'm careful to balance my negative posts with some objective ones + rebut the people who hammer on wrongheaded views such as "MA never changes."
There is plenty of merit to "MA never changes". Clearly it's an overly broad statement, but how many years of seeing players ball watching under the rim instead of putting an ass on someone does it take before we show a bit more effort/execution on the defensive boards? Offensive rebounds are just as bad or worse than turnovers.

We do look like a different team this year, and adjustments have been made. Just pointing out that  many of the complaints against him are legit imo..

tophawg19

actually Hogville is a great example of the hog fans in general , All of the people i know and all i meet pretty much share the same attitudes as on here . the only ones not really represented here are the indifferent ones who go to the games for show and don't care about results . Hogville is a perfect representation of the real , passionate hog fans . What this site really is , is a thousand coffee shops across the nation. go into a coffee shop, bar or anywhere hog fans meet to talk and this is exactly what you hear . And it's both men and women . Teachers lounge , beauty shop, barber shop , grocery store , This is the conversations going on in there . Hogville is a supersized coffee shop
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pork Twain

Well said...  I often find myself posting, not because I 100% believe a certain way, but more because I am just sick of all of the negativity nonstop.  Rational thought is needed here.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: trashcan maN on January 20, 2017, 10:56:46 am
We do look like a different team this year, and adjustments have been made. Just pointing out that  many of the complaints against him are legit imo..

It happens.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 20, 2017, 11:07:49 am
actually Hogville is a great example of the hog fans in general , All of the people i know and all i meet pretty much share the same attitudes as on here . the only ones not really represented here are the indifferent ones who go to the games for show and don't care about results . Hogville is a perfect representation of the real , passionate hog fans . What this site really is , is a thousand coffee shops across the nation. go into a coffee shop, bar or anywhere hog fans meet to talk and this is exactly what you hear . And it's both men and women . Teachers lounge , beauty shop, barber shop , grocery store , This is the conversations going on in there . Hogville is a supersized coffee shop

Pork Twain

Often one finds them surrounded by those of a like mind.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TNhawgfan

Haha when I first started teaching and coaching in high school many moons ago, I was shocked at the way they talked in the teacher's lounge and coach's office. Now, I'm right there with them. "Let me tell you what that little prick sob said to me today...yadda yadda"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 20, 2017, 10:17:50 am

that's right, and not just when questions are asked or it's a game thread.. saying "good job but this crap is never going to change as long as Mike is here" or "we are better than them but if we lose, it'll be because he was out coached again" is not balance.. it's very hypocritical... but if the shoe fits....

tophawg19

not really , i've heard some heated arguments in all sorts of places . Most real hog fans are very passionate and have strong opinions
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogsanity

No it isn't. Most hog fans do not sit around in late January talking about if the football coach should be fired, or what defensive scheme they should run, or if Jeff Long is a spy for the big10. Most hog fans are in hibernation until next Aug. Oh some will come out for signing day, and some for the spring game, but by and large they have better things to do with their time.

All of us on the other hand........................
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE