Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rhoads a solid hire

Started by redleg, January 17, 2017, 08:35:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 17, 2017, 08:16:34 pm
Guys, while I am happy with the Rhoads promotion(not Hire) I think that we should all be just a bit more honest about our defense.
The simple truth is that we really aren't sure if our pass defense improved or not. When teams are consistently running the ball as easily as most teams seemed to do against us, why throw the ball? Auburn threw for 89 yards and I have to question why? When you are running the ball like they were I would have just put my QB's arm in a sling!

I know this, we gave up over 200 yards passing 7 times, 3 times over 250 yards and 2 times over 300 yards. We gave up over 200 yards rushing only 5 times, twice over 300 yards and once over 500 yards.
Basically, we had a pretty bad defense and ANYONE that refuses to accept that needs to go watch some game replays.

Can Rhoads "fix" our problems? Only time will tell. We had better hope that he can. I'm not sure that he needs to even try to "fix" our defense, to me he should just try to improve our defense.
Tackle better in space---fewer long runs
Maintain gap control---contain these running QB's
Find a way to get pressure---Force some quick, inaccurate throws

If he can simply get our defense to allow 1 less TD per game average.
If he can help us to create 1 extra turnover per game.
If he can force just 1 extra 3-n-out per half
What kind of difference will that make?

The real key is BB, will he turn him loose to do the things that can help us to be better?
Agree about there being things we don't know about Rhoads potential to succeed at DC. Although teams didn't pass as much in 2016 as in 2015 (since they were running the ball right at the Hogs' fronts), I am encouraged by the notably lower completion percentages on passes that were attempted when compared to a year ago.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on January 17, 2017, 08:30:44 pm
Yep CBB sure is gifted at hiring assistants. Excuse some  of us that are in put up or shut up mode. This is another crappy hire into a crappy philosophy until proven otherwise.

Another Eeyore weighs in. Maybe if you try really hard you can make yourself miserable all the way to the kick off next season?
Go Hogs Go!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: redleg on January 17, 2017, 08:35:45 am
I feel that Coach Bielema hiring/promoting Paul Rhoads as the Hogs next Defensive Coordinator is a solid hire. Rhoads might not have been a very good head coach, but then again, he was at Iowa St. That's not where championships are won.
But one thing Rhoads has shown he excells at, is as a coordinator and defensive coach. Arkansas' secondary improved from 2015 to 2016. I have seen some people say that Arkansas' secondary sucked in 2016. That is not altogether true. Defensive backs can only defend receivers for so long. If your front seven cannot get to the opposing QB, let alone actually Stop The Run, a good QB will pick apart your team, regardless of how good your DB's might be.
Rhoads' defenses at Pitt and Auburn were highly ranked, and played solid all-around defense. There is no reason that he cannot do the same thing for the Razorbacks. Arkansas' offense is good, and with Dan Enos returning, things could finally come together quickly, especially if the D can improve by leaps and bounds...which I fully expect to see. Allowing over 200 yards rushing per game is Unacceptable! Finishing 94th in total defense is Unacceptable! Allowing 31 points per game is Unacceptable. Rhoads has the knowledge and coaching style to fix those issues between now and September 2! I will show the guy a little faith, and give him every opportunity to be Arkansas' defensive "savior".
I am also looking forward to seeing the Hogs in a 3-4 set. I feel this will get more talent and speed on the field for the Hogs. Speed kills, and if Rhoads installs an aggressive, attacking, fast defense, the Hogs will be tough to beat in 2017.
:razorback:

If rhodes was the answer, Smith would have been replaced during the season.  Simple as that
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HamSammich on January 17, 2017, 08:30:44 pm
Yep CBB sure is gifted at hiring assistants. Excuse some  of us that are in put up or shut up mode. This is another crappy hire into a crappy philosophy until proven otherwise.

Unfortunately this forum allows folks to put up without shutting up 24x7x365. Alligator mouth with a hummingbird tail.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 17, 2017, 08:49:44 pm
If rhodes was the answer, Smith would have been replaced during the season.  Simple as that

Ha, ha, you guys. You say this stuff to make you look like you know what you are talking about but you also know very well that isn't how things work in most coaching staffs. But continue to moan, whine and complain, even if it makes no sense.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 17, 2017, 08:49:44 pm

You are hereby deemed an idiot for not knowing how to spell Rhoads correctly. Honestly, a lot sooner due to your dumbass opinions, but this makes it legit.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2017, 08:52:35 pm
Ha, ha, you guys. You say this stuff to make you look like you know what you are talking about but you also know very well that isn't how things work in most coaching staffs. But continue to moan, whine and complain, even if it makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense.  Relieve Smith of duties and promote Rhoads during the season to  stop the bleeding.  If it would have helped it would have been done.  Better yet, BB could have taken over the defene himself during the season since that is his background. 

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 17, 2017, 08:57:00 pm
You are hereby deemed an idiot for not knowing how to spell Rhoads correctly. Honestly, a lot sooner due to your dumbass opinions, but this makes it legit.

I don't care how Rhodes or Rhoads or Roads is spelled.  It isn't like you didn't know who I meant, Right?  Do you have an opinion or just want to be the spelling nazi.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 17, 2017, 09:01:02 pm
I don't care how Rhodes or Rhoads or Roads is spelled.  It isn't like you didn't know who I meant, Right?  Do you have an opinion or just want to be the spelling nazi.

I have formed an opinion of you...and it ain't good.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 17, 2017, 09:03:48 pm
I have formed an opinion of you...and it ain't good.

If I cared what you  thought, I would ask what it is

Ridding us of Smith and replacing him with Rhoads would happen at some places but not with BB.  BB is not a firing type coach even if it meant helping his employer.  Anyway we got Rhoads now and I believe he is an upgrade at DC.  May have been all we could get or the best we could get or planned than way all along.  Hogville does not know and it doesn't matter.

Based on what BB appears to have been bringing in, I think he is a good choice.  Maybe Rhoads knows a few other defensive coaches that BB may not know who he could suggest. 

Anyway, for whatever reason, the D staff led by BB as he leads everyone, was not a good fit the past 2 years.  It may have been chemistry, knowledge, poor leadership, poor talent, not using practice time to its fullest or any number of things.  The record speaks for itself and its on everybody's resume who was onboard during this time.  Maybe this is the start of something good.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: BassinHawg on January 17, 2017, 09:47:53 am
Loser move!

Expected I guess.

Or excepted.? I'm getting so confused...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

nchogg

At least Coach PR knows what he is up against in the SEC. It's tough, one year your defense or offense will be good then the next it will be picked apart or the opposite. We will see.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 17, 2017, 07:19:37 pm
I'm curious too, because that was my impression as well.

I guess that is the nature of forums. People writing crap they know nothing about. Then the next guy reads the crap and adds his own crap.

Pretty soon crap is rolling downhill.  ;)

My guess is 3-4 will be situational only.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 17, 2017, 09:09:24 pm
If I cared what you  thought, I would ask what it is

You cared enough to respond to him.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 17, 2017, 08:58:29 pm
Makes perfect sense.  Relieve Smith of duties and promote Rhoads during the season to  stop the bleeding.  If it would have helped it would have been done.  Better yet, BB could have taken over the defene himself during the season since that is his background. 
the only reason you fire someone during the season is if they are caught with a dead hooker or a live boy.  the right way to handle it was exactly what BB did.  give RS his chance to make something happen by the end of the season, if it doesn't work out, let him go and promote the DC in waiting. 

that way you don't come off as desperate and you don't have to pay the buy out and you maintain a good relationship with the outgoing coach while setting a good example for prospective coaches.  its a win win win win
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

island hog

Great post... That's the way it should be done. 

Deep Shoat

The arguments against Paul Rhoads as a good hire prove what I already knew.  The vocal minority don't know a damn thing about football.
All Gas, No Brakes!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 18, 2017, 12:20:48 pm
the only reason you fire someone during the season is if they are caught with a dead hooker or a live boy.  the right way to handle it was exactly what BB did.  give RS his chance to make something happen by the end of the season, if it doesn't work out, let him go and promote the DC in waiting. 

that way you don't come off as desperate and you don't have to pay the buy out and you maintain a good relationship with the outgoing coach while setting a good example for prospective coaches.  its a win win win win

Yeah, watching Mizz and Vtech cut through our defense like warm butter sure was a win

aar0n

Because switching coaches mid-season usually works out, right? 

Surely there's some recent evidence to show us how well it works. 

lakecityhog

Not sure it would have hurt??? I mean really how much worse could it have been??

Al Boarland

Nothing wrong with promoting Rhoads.  It makes sense.  However, the roster is not in a good place.  You know what makes coaches good?  Players better than the ones they are lining up against.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 18, 2017, 06:43:08 pm
Nothing wrong with promoting Rhoads.  It makes sense.  However, the roster is not in a good place.  You know what makes coaches good?  Players better than the ones they are lining up against.

We can always use more talent but what makes a team play as a team and often times play better, is when everyone is buying in and the entire defense is on the same page. We may not have the talent base of some teams in our conference, but we have better overall talent than what the effort indicated this season.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 18, 2017, 06:43:08 pm

Yep, you should always think you are recruiting a starter to take their place. It seldom happens, but is a good objective to shoot for.

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2017, 08:44:40 pm
Another Eeyore weighs in. Maybe if you try really hard you can make yourself miserable all the way to the kick off next season?

People like you and the media that start at signing day with the lipstio for pigs and then continue on in spring practice telling everyone how we have the best defensive line or secondary in twenty years cause this. I'm skeptical of all of you. I don't trust you. I see a failed product and coaching philosophy but yet I love the razorbacks. I know you would rather the rational true people never visit this place. That has forever been hogville mo. I remember when the minority questioned nutt here. They were run off, banned, and ostracized. Group thought here is mighty.