Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rhoads a solid hire

Started by redleg, January 17, 2017, 08:35:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

I feel that Coach Bielema hiring/promoting Paul Rhoads as the Hogs next Defensive Coordinator is a solid hire. Rhoads might not have been a very good head coach, but then again, he was at Iowa St. That's not where championships are won.
But one thing Rhoads has shown he excells at, is as a coordinator and defensive coach. Arkansas' secondary improved from 2015 to 2016. I have seen some people say that Arkansas' secondary sucked in 2016. That is not altogether true. Defensive backs can only defend receivers for so long. If your front seven cannot get to the opposing QB, let alone actually Stop The Run, a good QB will pick apart your team, regardless of how good your DB's might be.
Rhoads' defenses at Pitt and Auburn were highly ranked, and played solid all-around defense. There is no reason that he cannot do the same thing for the Razorbacks. Arkansas' offense is good, and with Dan Enos returning, things could finally come together quickly, especially if the D can improve by leaps and bounds...which I fully expect to see. Allowing over 200 yards rushing per game is Unacceptable! Finishing 94th in total defense is Unacceptable! Allowing 31 points per game is Unacceptable. Rhoads has the knowledge and coaching style to fix those issues between now and September 2! I will show the guy a little faith, and give him every opportunity to be Arkansas' defensive "savior".
I am also looking forward to seeing the Hogs in a 3-4 set. I feel this will get more talent and speed on the field for the Hogs. Speed kills, and if Rhoads installs an aggressive, attacking, fast defense, the Hogs will be tough to beat in 2017.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

DeltaBoy

Yes I was excepting this.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

JBurgess

Atlhogfan1

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_8ada2378-7282-11e5-ab51-578506679f2e.html

http://www.amestrib.com/article/20151002/Sports/310029984

Some reading on his last attempt to install a 3-4. 

No idea if it will work - the defensive change or Rhoads.  This is more my doubts on Arkansas' ability to build defenses than it is the 3-4 or Rhoads.  Hopefully he can improve it to not being a liability.  Maybe one which will be more aggressive and can at least make big plays and create turnovers. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jmark

reminder,...if you need one
losing after 24pt. halftime lead
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

havok

Seeing how our defense regressed so far this season made me wonder:  Could hiring a guy known for being a Defensive Coordinator and Head Coach as a Position Coach "under" a lesser known/experienced DC been something that caused issues? 

Even if nothing was said and a great Unified Front was being displayed by coaches in front of Players & fans.. In any organization, when there is some sort of friction or differing mindsets, it can be felt & Sensed by those who spend so much time around them, and possibly bleed over to others.   

Players being out of position, not disciplined in reading their keys/assignments (also not being corrected)... made it seem like some players were playing off a different scheme/mindset from others on the field, thus the breakdowns on who covered who, who had outside contain, covered running lanes..and lord knows the middle of the field was exploited often when no one was there.

code red

We had to settle for Rhodes.  This is a band aid not a fix.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: code red on January 17, 2017, 09:28:40 am

Too soon to know, check back about game 6 or 7.

island hog

Could count on you for a negative thought ... Again.

Pork Twain

Who is a realistic possibility that is a clear upgrade over Rhoads?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Razorbackers

Rhoads was our #2, it seems.

Diaco was being courted by a lot of different teams, and ended up in a great place.

I fail to see how landing one of your top 2 targets is settling.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 17, 2017, 09:37:01 am
Who is a realistic possibility that is a clear upgrade over Rhoads?

Bill Cowher

onebadrubi

How do you know this?  I seemed to think BIelema probably brought Diaco in for discussions as well as to help Diaco's negotiating hand with Nebraska as a good buddy of his.  I am to think PR was probably in on those meetings as well.

forrest city joe

Yep.at least someone on here gets it.hope it works. but have grave concerns.he was part of this past season pitiful/terrible defense.

hogcam

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 17, 2017, 09:37:59 am

Diaco was being courted by a lot of different teams, and ended up in a great place.

That is completely false.  Assuming something doesn't mean it is true. Rhoads was our #1 choice.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 17, 2017, 09:39:03 am
How do you know this?  I seemed to think BIelema probably brought Diaco in for discussions as well as to help Diaco's negotiating hand with Nebraska as a good buddy of his.  I am to think PR was probably in on those meetings as well.

Think or know?
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcam on January 17, 2017, 09:40:11 am
That is completely false.  Assuming something doesn't mean it is true. Rhoads was our #1 choice.

Ok so what I said was false. Cool.

Do ya have any proof of that?

Or did we have 2 candidates, Diaco and Rhoads? And after Diaco went somewhere else we promoted Rhoads?

I mean, maybe he was 1b?

I'm not knocking the hire at all.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 17, 2017, 09:37:59 am

Well, the first words about any possibilities for DC had Rhoads as at least Co-DC, so we don't know who was or wasn't offered the other half of that.

Razorbackers

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 09:42:37 am
Well, the first words about any possibilities for DC had Rhoads as at least Co-DC, so we don't know who was or wasn't offered the other half of that.

For sure.

I bet PR had other calls of interest as well. He would have been a hot ticket by the end of 2017.

Nosboar Accubond

Guys please start a new thread for each thought rather than responding to this one. Thanks

BassinHawg

Loser move!

Expected I guess.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

forrest city joe

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 17, 2017, 09:44:14 am
For sure.

I bet PR had other calls of interest as well. He would have been a hot ticket by the end of 2017.

You guys are a trip.Paul Rhodes was out of work when coach B hired him.the idea that people will be beating down the door to get him is just your opinion.it's not base on any facts.we are going to find out if this is a good hire.i have grave concerns about this hire.

LZH

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 17, 2017, 09:39:03 am

What?

I'm OK with PR...even though I believe BB may have preferred to have he and Diaco as Co-DC's or maybe Diaco was the #1 man. Who knows, but there was a lot of buzz about him for a few days. Doesn't matter now.

From what I gather PR will jump right in the middle of your s*** if necessary....we need that. The 3-4 thing, we'll see. But we need a hard ass to push, push, push.....

Piggfoot

This bull about Diaco was nothing more than media and Hogville supposition. Hogville has never been right about anything especially by the very vocal posters. Their rumors are done as a troll job so when their rumor does not come to fruition they can have something else to complain about.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

a0ashle

Quote from: LZH on January 17, 2017, 09:53:36 am
What?

I'm OK with PR...even though I believe BB may have preferred to have he and Diaco as Co-DC's or maybe Diaco was the #1 man. Who knows, but there was a lot of buzz about him for a few days. Doesn't matter now.

From what I gather PR will jump right in the middle of your s*** if necessary....we need that. The 3-4 thing, we'll see. But we need a hard ass to push, push, push.....

I think this may have been a plan all along. He gave CRS a probationary year essentially, gave him a chance to make it right, but if he didn't, we'd have a D.C. With a year familiarity with our players and what they were taught.

As for "why didn't he fix it last year" the only thing worse then our defense last year would have been sending mixed messages from position coach and DC, that would have smoldered with the players beyond just last season. Additionally if you interfere too much you don't really know if the interference is the problem.

LZH

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 17, 2017, 10:09:44 am
This bull about Diaco was nothing more than media and Hogville supposition. Hogville has never been right about anything especially by the very vocal posters. Their rumors are done as a troll job so when their rumor does not come to fruition they can have something else to complain about.

What the Frank are you talking about? Jon Gruden has been the coach here for years.

LZH

Quote from: a0ashle on January 17, 2017, 10:10:23 am
I think this may have been a plan all along. He gave CRS a probationary year essentially, gave him a chance to make it right, but if he didn't, we'd have a D.C. With a year familiarity with our players and what they were taught.

As for "why didn't he fix it last year" the only thing worse then our defense last year would have been sending mixed messages from position coach and DC, that would have smoldered with the players beyond just last season. Additionally if you interfere too much you don't really know if the interference is the problem.

Fair, but I disagree. If you are 11-2 then maybe a probationary period makes sense.

onebadrubi

mizzouman

Very solid hire.  Good for Paul. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: mizzouman on January 17, 2017, 10:17:51 am
Very solid hire.  Good for Paul. 
Says a Mizzo fan who could care less about Arkansas. his secondary sure did a fine job against your 3 and 8 team.NOT!

Razorbackers

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 09:50:35 am
You guys are a trip.Paul Rhodes was out of work when coach B hired him.the idea that people will be beating down the door to get him is just your opinion.it's not base on any facts.we are going to find out if this is a good hire.i have grave concerns about this hire.

Rhoads had been fired as HC when we hired him. He was only "unemployed" from the last game he coached, until he was hired by us for the next season.

Diaco was also just fired as HC.

Who did you want us to hire?

a0ashle

Quote from: LZH on January 17, 2017, 10:14:54 am
Fair, but I disagree. If you are 11-2 then maybe a probationary period makes sense.

If you are 11-2 you don't want anyone to leave. If you are 8-5, bad defense after losing NFL talent, from a top defense, you might go probationary. If we were 3-9 (yes, records do go that much lower than ours), you fire them.

Redhogs

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 17, 2017, 09:44:14 am
For sure.

Ha,ha. Maybe we should play the season first.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawg IQ

Quote from: redleg on January 17, 2017, 08:35:45 am
I feel that Coach Bielema hiring/promoting Paul Rhoads as the Hogs next Defensive Coordinator is a solid hire. Rhoads might not have been a very good head coach, but then again, he was at Iowa St. That's not where championships are won.
But one thing Rhoads has shown he excells at, is as a coordinator and defensive coach. Arkansas' secondary improved from 2015 to 2016. I have seen some people say that Arkansas' secondary sucked in 2016. That is not altogether true. Defensive backs can only defend receivers for so long. If your front seven cannot get to the opposing QB, let alone actually Stop The Run, a good QB will pick apart your team, regardless of how good your DB's might be.
Rhoads' defenses at Pitt and Auburn were highly ranked, and played solid all-around defense. There is no reason that he cannot do the same thing for the Razorbacks. Arkansas' offense is good, and with Dan Enos returning, things could finally come together quickly, especially if the D can improve by leaps and bounds...which I fully expect to see. Allowing over 200 yards rushing per game is Unacceptable! Finishing 94th in total defense is Unacceptable! Allowing 31 points per game is Unacceptable. Rhoads has the knowledge and coaching style to fix those issues between now and September 2! I will show the guy a little faith, and give him every opportunity to be Arkansas' defensive "savior".
I am also looking forward to seeing the Hogs in a 3-4 set. I feel this will get more talent and speed on the field for the Hogs. Speed kills, and if Rhoads installs an aggressive, attacking, fast defense, the Hogs will be tough to beat in 2017.
:razorback:
I  don't know much about this guy, but if he was part of the last defensive unit this past fall, do we need to know more? I mean really. how is that any kind of uptic ??
I suppose making defensive calls could improve. Don's know if R Smith could say the word blitz !

Success breads success you know . have we recruited that bad on defensive side, maybe ?? we have been going after D-ends a lot and just one has proved to live up to billing, Agim ! we need to recruit better at all positions.

Just get a plan, recruit to it, get the guys you need. speed is important, but being the right fit is better. What ever happen to Smith from the first year until he left is a mystery ?? We will see about Rhodes, but I have a lot of doubts here ??
go hogs go !

East TN HAWG

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 09:39:28 am
Yep.at least someone on here gets it.hope it works. but have grave concerns.he was part of this past season pitiful/terrible defense.

Have you ever been a part of an organization that was under performing; however, you were not in the position to change what was wrong?  Maybe you could see what was wrong, but did not have the authority to change.  CPR was not the DC.  It is difficult to make an overhaul when your a position coach. 

It is now coming out that the defensive staff was not a cohesive unit.  Obviously, that means there were disagreements in the staff meetings.  After the Auburn game, CBB said he had to step in and dictate some changes.  What were the results in the Fla game?  Does anyone think he actually did that without talking to his staff?  Common sense and hindsight suggest that he most likely conferred with CPR, and dictated those changes that Rhoads suggested.

One aspect of this no one is talking about is that CPR knows our personnel.  If he was not allowed to make changes to Rob Smith defense, then he may know what moves to make immediately.  I think it could be an advantage that he was on staff last year. 

People need to use some common sense.  Just because someone coached somewhere else does not mean they are a better coaches than what we have.  People with inside information like FanOnTheHill have spoken up, but folks on here just hear want they want to.   

porkribz

I don't know what kind of DC CPR will be. But my little exposure to him would lead me to guess he's up to the task. When we were there at camp, he left the biggest impression on me of all the position coaches I saw. He was very vocal before,during,and after plays and drills. Constantly coaching up,correcting, and praising with the enthusiasm of a rabid fan. From everything my untrained eye saw and the many reports I've gotten back from there this season, I expect a good/high chance he makes an effective DC. He's well liked and respected there.

hawgmasta

He has had success at other places as a DC. The players seem to like him; I'm not sure we would've gotten anyone better except for an up and comer which would've caused a total meltdown on this board.

Dwight_K_Shrute

CPR at least has the resume.  He was a successful FBS P5 coordinator for a number of years.  But for any coach to be successful he also needs very good assistants under him.  So we hired a guy with years of success on the P5 level as a coordinator.  Why did we hire a guy with 0 years of FBS success or experience at any level to coach the Dline?  A guy who was so well regarded when he was fired from the NFL he had to go back to the FCS level.  Get the best available guys at all assistant spots and the results on the field will change.  Player talent level may define the ceiling, but we did not come close to seeing this team's ceiling.  Coaching talent/ability defines the floor.  Were we closer to the floor or the ceiling?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

pigture perfect

I think if we get a couple of solid position coaches along with Rhodes it will be a good thing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Kig

No idea who this Rhodes guy you speak of us settling for is.  If you can't even spell the coaches name, then how the eff do you have enough information to assert that we are settling?

When Coach Paul Rhoads was hired as secondary coach last year, it was considered to be quite a coup to get someone with his credentials as a position coach.  It was even speculated that it was a temporary move if CRS shat the bed again (which he did) that could possibly be a preemptive move to get a DC-in-waiting.  So now that that is exactly what has happened, the "gruden or bust" crew is out claiming we whiffed and settled.  I call BS on that. 
Poker Porker

NuttinItUp

Rhodes is a solid upgrade. Good hire.

nchogg

I don't care who Coach B hires, posters will complain. It seems these days HV has gotten that bad.

Calling All Hogs

If Rhoads had never been hired here people would be jumping for joy. He is very qualified. I am willing to give him a chance. Just don't give him a mega salary until he shows he can improve the defense for at least two years in a row. Learn from the Robb Smith mistake.

hawgmasta

I'm liking the usual hogville misspelling of his name; I'm thinking Saul Roads.

LJHOG

We can hire Bill Belichick and it won't matter until we get some menz.

The Kig

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 09:39:28 am

Joe, c'mon man.  Yes, last seasons defense was terrible, horrible, or any other adjective you can come up with meaning it was bad.  Rhoads was a first year guy last year and inherited a truly awful secondary.  His unit was also one of the few areas of improvement this past season.  CB's actually turned their heads on occasion.  Safeties weren't always completely out of position.  Players didn't look COMPLETELY lost on every play.  Wholesale change of staff is not the answer...and deep down you know it.

In fact, coming into the season, there were several quite heated discussions about whether they could get any better simply because most of the same guys (I think 9 of 11 returning starters) would be back from a terrible 2015 defense.  General consensus was that we would be ok on the DL, but had work to do with the back 7. 

What we learned was that without Greenlaw, the LB's were awful and had no depth.  We also learned that either Segrest or CRS (or hopefully both) should be fired for wasting the amount of talent available to them on the DL.  We also learned that the overall scheme was not designed to be aggressive, whether pressuring the QB (blitzes from LB, Safety, stunts on DL, anything), the entire squad was rarely in the right spot (except the DB's who picked off a few critical balls), and had overall poor fundamentals in the front 7.   
Poker Porker

BigBen

I don't understand why everyone is saying Diaco would have been such a better option. They are just about the same coach. Both made their reputation as very solid DCs. Took a chance at being a head coach at smaller programs and it didn't work out. I'm happy with CPR. If this would have happened last year everyone would have been praising it as a great hire as a DC.

mizzouman

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 10:22:52 am
Says a Mizzo fan who could care less about Arkansas. his secondary sure did a fine job against your 3 and 8 team.NOT!
First, who said I didn't care about Arkansas?  Second, a secondary coach has to play within the total scheme of the total defense.  So, perhaps he had his hands tied. 

Now, I would have done something to try to get Coach Kul, but that's me.  Rhoads is a pretty solid hire.