Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like it's going to be Paul Rhoads

Started by grayhawg, January 16, 2017, 09:59:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSammich

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on January 16, 2017, 10:07:15 pm
I can dig it. Probably was  CBB's thinking a year ago. No surprises here to me. If true, great hire.

Except you people all said Robb smith was a great hire and he needed a brinks truck backed up to keep him..... I for one will wait and watch this dibacle.

Ramboar

Congrats to Coach Rhoads! Great hire! Go get em sir.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:05:42 pm
God help us.

People like you would've bitched, moaned, and complained no matter who we hired.

Wildhog

Quote from: The Boar War on January 16, 2017, 11:49:21 pm
I can't see where Partridge and Rhoads have worked together in the past.  Not that it really matters.  Interestingly his DC/ LB coach and DL coach at Iowa State were a father son team:  Wally and Shane Burnham.  Wally is retired and Shane is the DL coach at Rutgers.

Rhoads and Partridge worked together for like five years at Pitt.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Boar War

Quote from: Wildhog on January 17, 2017, 12:26:10 am
Rhoads and Partridge worked together for like five years at Pitt.

Good.  I was looking through his Iowa State days.

forrest city joe

Nothing but the Band-Aid i feared. this man was part of the worst defense i have ever seen at Arkansas.i hope it works.but i am not counting on it. this is not good in my opinion folks.

forrest city joe

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2017, 10:19:27 pm
Pass defense was better, despite no pass rush.
No it was not.teams did not have to pass because they ran over us. when they had to pass like Mizzo and others.they did it at will. sorry but you are wrong. this defense was pitiful everywhere.

Ramboar

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:40:08 am
Nothing but the Band-Aid i feared. this man was part of the worst defense i have ever seen at Arkansas.i hope it works.but i am not counting on it. this is not good in my opinion folks.
There you have it forrest city joe thinks it's a bad hire. SEC fricked. Hogs gonna be awesome on D this year folks!
I'll be yo Huckleberry

forrest city joe

Quote from: Ramboar on January 17, 2017, 12:44:06 am
There you have it forrest city joe thinks it's a bad hire. SEC fricked. Hogs gonna be awesome on D this year folks!
Keep fooling yourself if you want. but this is a long shot at best. i hope it works for the sake of the program. but in my opinion it's nothing but a Band-Aid on the worst defense i have ever seen. this man was part of that defense.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:52:13 am
Keep fooling yourself if you want. but this is a long shot at best. i hope it works for the sake of the program. but in my opinion it's nothing but a Band-Aid on the worst defense i have ever seen. this man was part of that defense.

In 1978 and 1979, West Virginia had possibly the worst defense in their history. Statistically, it was clearly the worst. And the worst aspect of that historically bad defense was it's pass defense. But despite the inadequacies, I am sure West Virginia would love to have the coach that was responsible for the worst defensive backfield in its schools history....you know it's coming....Nick Saban had the 133rd rated pass defense then raised that to 128 the following.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

gchamblee

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: gchamblee on January 17, 2017, 01:11:25 am
I am very happy with this.
As am I. Congratulations Coach Rhoads! An excellent hire.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogblitz on January 16, 2017, 10:38:54 pm
I am in no way saying Rhoades is a bad coach.  We have a head coach with extremely bad judgement.   Obviously, he is concerned more about his buddies and image rather than the well being of the team. CBB could have sent a message to EVERYONE by firing Smith and inserting Rhoades after Auburn.  This would have also have Rhoades a jump on next year.  There is NO WAY that the midseason change could have made them any worse.  Bielema is in over his head and is getting paid millions to learn on the job.  Obviously, Alvarez played a bigger role in that program than many thought.

wow, what a vulgar display of stupidity.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:40:52 pm
Never ever will say this a good hire until he shows us something.  On the staff that allowed most yards per game in history of the Razorbacks. Now because he's the dc we are supposed to be ok with this?  No forget this guy. He needs to prove his place.

thats ok, nobody really looks to you for wisdom so youre safe.

gchamblee

Quote from: braxhog on January 16, 2017, 10:44:26 pm
One thing that Rhoads brings that Smith didn't is intensity. He's a fiery, enthusiastic coach that can bring some intensity and emotion to the defensive room and huddle. Players respect that kind of passion, and it can have a trickle down effect to the players. That in itself is an improvement.

i love his sideline enthusiasm :P

Hollywood870

January 17, 2017, 01:36:59 am #116 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:50:53 am by Hollywood870
Quote from: soooieman on January 16, 2017, 11:10:14 pm
Solo really understands the game. Everybody knows when the opposing qb has 10 seconds to throw it doesn't matter if the All Madden team is back there. Bad D line = bad secondary. Wait, Solo you do know this right? Please?
Mizzu was hitting us with quick play action bombs. No safety help, burning us down the sideline. Sometimes not even play action. Straight drop back bombs right down the sideline. About ten of em. Probably dropped five right in their hands. But I hope Rhoads can be successful. Maybe we just aren't fast enough. Pulley looks good though. This was the best we could do.  We have a lot of other problems as well. Good luck to the team next fall.

Hog Solo

Quote from: gchamblee on January 17, 2017, 01:19:00 am
thats ok, nobody really looks to you for wisdom so youre safe.

Ha, you are the fool that was all but boasting and bragging about our defense before the season began.  Everything you say should be taken with the context that you are the truest bs'er on this board.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: hogblitz on January 16, 2017, 10:38:54 pm
I am in no way saying Rhoades is a bad coach.  We have a head coach with extremely bad judgement.   Obviously, he is concerned more about his buddies and image rather than the well being of the team. CBB could have sent a message to EVERYONE by firing Smith and inserting Rhoades after Auburn.  This would have also have Rhoades a jump on next year.  There is NO WAY that the midseason change could have made them any worse.  Bielema is in over his head and is getting paid millions to learn on the job.  Obviously, Alvarez played a bigger role in that program than many thought.
He could of sent a message alright... To every prospective coach in the country that he's quick on the trigger. I've heard coaches flock to that kind of working environment. I mean every other program does it...

smdh

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 16, 2017, 11:24:41 pm
Starting year 5 this will be the 3rd DC under Bielema. The two prior leaving due to supposed inadequacies. Is he simply bad at choosing coaches? Or are his fingerprints on these defenses and he is more of a meddler vs the CEO coach so often associated with him?

I tend to believe the latter...but just my opinion. One thing is for sure...at some point the revolving door of coordinators for appeasement isn't going to work anymore. The irony of the Rob Smith situation from 2014 "one of the best DC's in the country" to 2016 is comical.

Right now the fan base thinks the world of Dan Enos. What happens if qb play & the offense tank next year? Fire Dan Enos? Problem solved? You bet.
Look at the stats of that '14 D, now look at '16. See? Why is that on the fans?

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: HamSammich on January 16, 2017, 11:49:48 pm
Except you people all said Robb smith was a great hire and he needed a brinks truck backed up to keep him..... I for one will wait and watch this dibacle.
Your spelling is a debacle...

And actually everyone questioned the hire. The feel good was after an impressive 2014 showing, but the following bad then terrible defensive seasons turned the sentiment.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: braxhog on January 16, 2017, 11:21:08 pm
Pretty sure the cushions were part of Smith's scheme, not Rhoads'. What, do you expect him to tell his secondary to play one way even though the D.C. calls for something else? He was the corners coach, not the DC. The blame can be placed on Smith for his scheme. As corner coach, Pulley has emerged as one of the best corners we have had in some time. A lot of y'all seem to be placing blame on Rhoads instead of, you know, the guy who was calling the plays.
Rhoads has the same philosophy in the secondary, play off coverage, tackle in front. Likes to use more cover 3 stuff than Smith.

Pork Twain

I called this play long ago brotha and I love it.  He has actual successful experience as a DC and has tons of energy, something our defense has seemed to lack for a while.  He might not be the hire of many of your dreams, but you would be hard-pressed to find a guy that was realistic and has a better resume.  Please carry on with the complaining you would have done, no matter who the hire was.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Al Boarland

Logical choice.  How is he at making chicken salad?

JackJohnson

I wonder if we are still switching to the 3-4?  If so I hope we took good notes on the pointers they got from the meeting with Diaco

Hog N Bama

January 17, 2017, 06:08:12 am #125 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:07:57 am by Hog N Bama
Quote from: braxhog on January 16, 2017, 10:44:26 pm
One thing that Rhoads brings that Smith didn't is intensity. He's a fiery, enthusiastic coach that can bring some intensity and emotion to the defensive room and huddle. Players respect that kind of passion, and it can have a trickle down effect to the players. That in itself is an improvement.
Right on. Rhoads  is a motivator   Smith was a good cure for insomnia IMO

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 17, 2017, 12:19:50 am
People like you would've bitched, moaned, and complained no matter who we hired.
+100
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The Boar War on January 16, 2017, 11:49:21 pm
I can't see where Partridge and Rhoads have worked together in the past.  Not that it really matters.  Interestingly his DC/ LB coach and DL coach at Iowa State were a father son team:  Wally and Shane Burnham.  Wally is retired and Shane is the DL coach at Rutgers.

Worked together at Pitt

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

gawntrail

Let's see how the front seven handles the run, including the kryptonite dual threat QB, and how the secondary dishes out punishment to runners and receivers. 

I'll know how good this promotion is from that. 

WOO PIG!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 17, 2017, 06:53:50 am
I like that he's limber.
I would give up an entire paycheck to see bielema attempt that  ;D
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:25:13 pm
This guy gets it.  No recruit is going to be drawn to this crapstorm of ex coaches. No way the guy was behind our secondary last year.  This is a bad hire.

Yeah no recruit will want to play for the guy that coached Darrelle Revis.... What?

Athog

Quote from: The Boar War on January 16, 2017, 10:15:24 pm
So the guy who had a hand in our terrible defense this year is the answer for the future.

Oh my!!  It is all doom and gloom!! Look at me!! I have the answers. You will be the first in line to kiss his ***! Let's wait and see what kind of product he produces!

scaldedhog

Make Arkansas Football great again

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on January 17, 2017, 07:02:13 am
Let's see how the front seven handles the run, including the kryptonite dual threat QB, and how the secondary dishes out punishment to runners and receivers. 

I'll know how good this promotion is from that. 

WOO PIG!!

If we can give up one less yard per play next season just by being in the proper alignment and position and making better tackles, our defense will be in far better shape than this year and I will feel that this hire has been a major success.
Go Hogs Go!

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:40:08 am

Hypocrite
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dominicanhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 16, 2017, 10:48:00 pm
I think the thing on everyone's mind is that this didn't improve recruiting . now i expect to hear if he's so good , why didn't anyone else try to hire him. personally i liked him over Diaco .

He's been here a year and I can't ever remember being in on so many highly rated  DB recruits this late in the game.. in discussion yesterday, we said we couldn't take anymore DB's because we had too many in this class.. good players also...somebody must be doing something right this year compared to years past...

BTW.. imo, a great hire.. energy, experience and the DB's were much improved last year, not great but visible improvement..  now if we can fill in the rest of the staff with similar qualities.... probably at least 2 more new coaches to come.

Seebs

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 12:52:13 am
Thank God you are not happy. Imagining you pleased would shatter the Eeyore Complex you convey.  Many babies have been thrown out with your bathwater approach. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:40:52 pm
Never ever will say this a good hire until he shows us something.  On the staff that allowed most yards per game in history of the Razorbacks. Now because he's the dc we are supposed to be ok with this?  No forget this guy. He needs to prove his place.

No, you should whine and complain on a message board like a two year old.....

tophawg19

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 07:21:11 am
He's been here a year and I can't ever remember being in on so many highly rated  DB recruits this late in the game.. in discussion yesterday, we said we couldn't take anymore DB's because we had too many in this class.. good players also...somebody must be doing something right this year compared to years past...

BTW.. imo, a great hire.. energy, experience and the DB's were much improved last year, not great but visible improvement..  now if we can fill in the rest of the staff with similar qualities.... probably at least 2 more new coaches to come.
if two more are hired , it will be a good deal . he needs to get his own people that he can work with .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 17, 2017, 06:53:50 am
I like that he's limber.

Lucky he didn't have a Garrigus moment in that move......

rljjr

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:22:48 pm
Definitely it.  Recruits about to flock to another failed coach. 

Is your name Schleprock?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2017, 07:18:05 am
If we can give up one less yard per play next season just by being in the proper alignment and position and making better tackles, our defense will be in far better shape than this year and I will feel that this hire has been a major success.

one less yard per play was about 2 of Auburn's long runs.. much of that stopped when Ledbetter was moved to DE.. DW kept getting sealed or took an aggressive inside move that took him out of the play... I think CPR will be more fundamental with stop the run first...I also expect to see more blitz packages.. he ran quite a few at ISU...

Still think there are a couple more hires to come.. LB's in position and able to get off a block, would do more for this D than anything else.. I'd like to see some energy there.

ricepig

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 07:44:56 am
one less yard per play was about 2 of Auburn's long runs.. much of that stopped when Ledbetter was moved to DE.. DW kept getting sealed or took an aggressive inside move that took him out of the play... I think CPR will be more fundamental with stop the run first...I also expect to see more blitz packages.. he ran quite a few at ISU...

Still think there are a couple more hires to come.. LB's in position and able to get of a block, would do more for this D than anything else.. I'd like to see some energy there.

I think we'll have two more hires.

Redhogs

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 16, 2017, 10:50:12 pm
Personally, I blame Segrest. Our DL play was abysmal, and was supposed to be a strength.
Agree, that change MUST be made. No pass rush, poor secondary results regardless. Let's see what CPR can do, B ert's future depends on it.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 17, 2017, 07:44:56 am

Still think there are a couple more hires to come.. LB's in position and able to get off a block, would do more for this D than anything else.. I'd like to see some energy there.

Ideally, if your D-Line is capable of doing their job in either a 4-3 or 3-4, LB's have to deal with less traffic and don't have to make a tremendously athletic play to get to the ball.
Go Hogs Go!

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 16, 2017, 11:17:50 pm
You may be going a little too far on this one, nobody will ever convince me Dan Enos is responsible for the plays and formations we run inside the 5 yard line. We have done the same things there since JLS left, there is really only one constant in that mix and it is CBB!

Our plays inside the 5 have changed drastically from Chaney to Enos.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 16, 2017, 10:18:14 pm
  Good.  Now let's change the D-line coach with Partridge, and bring in Trooper Taylor as a DB coach.

Partridge, hell to the yes, but has Trooper Taylor ever coached defense?

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:16:16 pm
Lol.  Why not make this announcement immediately after the dc was fired? Obviously we struck out a time or two for finally settling.

Nope.  It had to do with flexibility to recruit.