Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We struck out

Started by Hog Solo, January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 10:43:47 am
if we can get away with keeping him on the cheap, let him do it.  But he definitely wasn't our first choice.  He still probably isn't our second or third choice.

Link?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

gchamblee

if we can get away with keeping him on the cheap, let him do it.  But he definitely wasn't our first choice.  He still probably isn't our second or third choice.

this is how people know you aren't very intelligent. you say stuff like this.

hogcard1964

Quote from: island hog on January 14, 2017, 10:43:57 am
You won't let up will you.   How many times have stated this or alluded to it. Why don't you just say " I hope we don't spend much money on anyone because we're probably going to have a coaching change.. Or at least I hope we do ".

That is what I said.  I'm only viewing this as a pragmatist.  You can't start locking in expensive high profile assistants during a sink or swim period of one or two years.  Hire and promote from within and ride the storm out.  Go for the low hanging fruit for the time being.

Youngsta71701

We struck out...As usual. Just like we strike out on in-state kids. I seriously think he don't put much emphasis on this state at all when it comes to recruiting. Too many talented kids not getting a serious look.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 10:49:02 am
That is what I said.  I'm only viewing this as a pragmatist.  You can't start locking in expensive high profile assistants during a sink or swim period of one or two years.  Hire and promote from within and ride the storm out.  Go for the low hanging fruit for the time being.

How much you want to bet that our new DC gets a 3 year contract, at around the same money Smith was paid?

colbs

There you go assuming.  You have no idea if he was the first choice or not. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 10:49:39 am
We struck out...As usual. Just like we strike out on in-state kids. I seriously think he don't put much emphasis on this state at all when it comes to recruiting. Too many talented kids not getting a serious look.

Can you provide a list of the talented kids that, you know for a fact, were not given a serious look?

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2017, 10:51:33 am
How much you want to bet that our new DC gets a 3 year contract, at around the same money Smith was paid?

Maybe

I'd be willing to trim the fat, just go with what we have, ending any additional searches and give Rhoads a slight bump in pay.  Slight as in "very slight".

Year 5 was the year Bielema promised huge dividends.  It's time to put up or shut up.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 10:56:05 am
Maybe

I'd be willing to trim the fat, just go with what we have, ending any additional searches and give Rhoads a slight bump in pay.  Slight as in "very slight".

Year 5 was the year Bielema promised huge dividends.  It's time to put up or shut up.

Just maybe?? You spout out crap like it's a fact, yet don't care to take a stance on it? Sounds familiar......

hawgfan4life

We missed on one WR to The Ohio State, a RB and a DL to AL over recent years.  Which other ones did we miss on?  We recruited all of these players hard, but they chose other schools.  We have done very well at WR and that player hasn't done anything yet.  We have done very well at RB and that RB never did anything of note.  Our DL has not been too much to brag about, but hasn't been as pitiful as fans like to discuss on the internet and that NG has been a backup with minimal playing time so far throughout his career.  It isn't like we missed on any 1st day draft picks leaving after their 3rd year.

How do you know it was a strike out?  We have a coach on staff with as good of credentials and better resume for recruiting than the so called whiff coach.  Things are far from as bleak as you want to believe.  Recruiting is as good or better overall than it has been since Ford was at AR.  Yes, Danny Ford was doing a solid job and improving recruiting every year.  HDN reaped the benefits of Ford's work.  All of the assistant coaches have been pretty good hires so far as far as resume.  There are no guarantees a coach will thrive at AR, but BB has done a great job of hiring coaches with great resumes so far.  No reason to believe this single hire is going south because of one coach.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 14, 2017, 10:55:42 am
Can you provide a list of the talented kids that, you know for a fact, were not given a serious look?
Ask Trey Biddy and Fitz Hill. They can tell you better than I can. I'm not just talking about this year. I'm talking about since Beilema's been here.

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 11:09:46 am
Ask Trey Biddy and Fitz Hill. They can tell you better than I can.

They coach where?

colbs

How many kids that weren't offered went on to other schools and lit it up?  It looks like they may have missed on Crockett but would you take him over Whaley or Hammonds?  Besides him who else?

Each Hogviller believes he knows what is wrong, including me.  So likely most of us are way off base on some or all of what we think, me included.

What if we just go with the obvious.  Bear with me here.  Say, we have a D-line coach who isn't cutting it.  Background is that we were supposed to have a D-line 2 deep for the first time in memory that should be the strong point of this team for 2016, we didn't.  So who and when should that have been addressed as an example.  My opinion:  In Spring practice and again in Fall practice this should have been noted by an astute OC and HC.  IT IS PART OF WHAT THEY GET PAID TO DO AND THAT IS NOT OPINION, THAT IS FACT.  Why didn't one or both of them correct that problem right away.  It is said that BB fired Markuson during the season.  WHY was this allowed to happen with what was believed to be the best group of D-linemen in recent history.  This goes deep.  We let a poor coach likely cost us wins but also may have cost players better paydays as they travel through life.  Did we intentionally choose the job of a poor coach over wins and less trained players.  Wouldn't this be equal to the Head of the Math Department allowing a very poor professor continue to teach high level math classes even though it is obvious the students leave that class totally unprepared.

Multiply this example by several other, what appears to me to be, obvious oversites by this HC.  Is anyone on here positive that BB even interviewed Diaco?  If Rhoads is the Guy, why not just say so and maybe a recruit who might be wavering will stay with us or maybe a recruit who likes Rhoads will ask for a letter of intent. 

Again, I need to stick to the facts.  This football program is failing in several areas.  Losing games after they should be put away like MO and V Tech.  Losing games like Toledo and T Tech that we just shouldn't lose.  Failing to get anything out of talent at times.  Example:  Petrino had a 5 star fall into his lap and he  got to the Sugar Bowl with him.  BB has a highly rated 4 star and mentioned as a 5 star fall into his hands and he never sees the field, finally gives up and leaves.  We just don't have special, special teams, why? 

Are we getting the progress and production from the football program that we should expect?  Are the players that come to us getting within reason, the amount of teaching they deserve?  Does the HC bust his rear to hire the very best available for his staff?  Does the HC work practice to the point that he knows what is going on so he can correct failures and shore up weak areas before they create total failures that might be unnecessary?  Does the staff work as a team or as several individuals working around each other but not together?  Does our HC know enough about football to know and recognize poor teaching, conditioning and the failure to mentally prepare his charges for battle?

When I mention mentally unprepared, I do not question the IQ of the players.  I question the ability of the HC and his staff having their TEAM mentally ready to play the game without quitting at the first sight of hard times.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 14, 2017, 11:04:24 am
We missed on one WR to The Ohio State, a RB and a DL to AL over recent years.  Which other ones did we miss on?  We recruited all of these players hard, but they chose other schools.  We have done very well at WR and that player hasn't done anything yet.  We have done very well at RB and that RB never did anything of note.  Our DL has not been too much to brag about, but hasn't been as pitiful as fans like to discuss on the internet and that NG has been a backup with minimal playing time so far throughout his career.  It isn't like we missed on any 1st day draft picks leaving after their 3rd year.

How do you know it was a strike out?  We have a coach on staff with as good of credentials and better resume for recruiting than the so called whiff coach.  Things are far from as bleak as you want to believe.  Recruiting is as good or better overall than it has been since Ford was at AR.  Yes, Danny Ford was doing a solid job and improving recruiting every year.  HDN reaped the benefits of Ford's work.  All of the assistant coaches have been pretty good hires so far as far as resume.  There are no guarantees a coach will thrive at AR, but BB has done a great job of hiring coaches with great resumes so far.  No reason to believe this single hire is going south because of one coach.
I'm not talking about the ones that we offered. If we offer them and they choose to go elsewhere that is on them. I'm just talking about the ones we didn't offer in the past or haven't offered so far this year.
2016- Demaria Crockett
2017- Tre Norwood
2017- Hayden Henry

Those are just the three that come mind at this point. Ask Trey Biddy, Danny West, Richard Davenport, and Fitz Hill about the rest. You know. The recruiting experts. I just find it real hard to believe that we only have 4 players in the state of Arkansas that are worthy of a scholarship and they will tell you the same.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: colbs on January 14, 2017, 11:11:03 am
How many kids that weren't offered went on to other schools and lit it up?  It looks like they may have missed on Crockett but would you take him over Whaley or Hammonds?  Besides him who else?
Why is it so hard to understand that these kids can play multiple positions? Crockett was also a safety/linebacker in high school. Hammonds was also a slot receiver in high school. Neither one of these players are locked down to just one position.

We just need to get the best athletes that we can on the hill then decide where to put them when we get them there.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2017, 11:10:39 am
They coach where?
Fitz Hill has been a coach on the hill and a major recruiter and Trey Biddy is the recruiting expert. I'm pretty sure the both of them know much more about recruiting than you ever will.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 10:56:05 am
Maybe

why are you worried about saving money? It aint your money. Going cheap is the absolute STUPIDEST thing we could do.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

colbs

Quote from: 12247 on January 14, 2017, 11:16:20 am
Each Hogviller believes he knows what is wrong, including me.  So likely most of us are way off base on some or all of what we think, me included.

What if we just go with the obvious.  Bear with me here.  Say, we have a D-line coach who isn't cutting it.  Background is that we were supposed to have a D-line 2 deep for the first time in memory that should be the strong point of this team for 2016, we didn't.  So who and when should that have been addressed as an example.  My opinion:  In Spring practice and again in Fall practice this should have been noted by an astute OC and HC.  IT IS PART OF WHAT THEY GET PAID TO DO AND THAT IS NOT OPINION, THAT IS FACT.  Why didn't one or both of them correct that problem right away.  It is said that BB fired Markuson during the season.  WHY was this allowed to happen with what was believed to be the best group of D-linemen in recent history.  This goes deep.  We let a poor coach likely cost us wins but also may have cost players better paydays as they travel through life.  Did we intentionally choose the job of a poor coach over wins and less trained players.  Wouldn't this be equal to the Head of the Math Department allowing a very poor professor continue to teach high level math classes even though it is obvious the students leave that class totally unprepared.

Multiply this example by several other, what appears to me to be, obvious oversites by this HC.  Is anyone on here positive that BB even interviewed Diaco?  If Rhoads is the Guy, why not just say so and maybe a recruit who might be wavering will stay with us or maybe a recruit who likes Rhoads will ask for a letter of intent. 

Again, I need to stick to the facts.  This football program is failing in several areas.  Losing games after they should be put away like MO and V Tech.  Losing games like Toledo and T Tech that we just shouldn't lose.  Failing to get anything out of talent at times.  Example:  Petrino had a 5 star fall into his lap and he  got to the Sugar Bowl with him.  BB has a highly rated 4 star and mentioned as a 5 star fall into his hands and he never sees the field, finally gives up and leaves.  We just don't have special, special teams, why? 

Are we getting the progress and production from the football program that we should expect?  Are the players that come to us getting within reason, the amount of teaching they deserve?  Does the HC bust his rear to hire the very best available for his staff?  Does the HC work practice to the point that he knows what is going on so he can correct failures and shore up weak areas before they create total failures that might be unnecessary?  Does the staff work as a team or as several individuals working around each other but not together?  Does our HC know enough about football to know and recognize poor teaching, conditioning and the failure to mentally prepare his charges for battle?

When I mention mentally unprepared, I do not question the IQ of the players.  I question the ability of the HC and his staff having their TEAM mentally ready to play the game without quitting at the first sight of hard times.
Comparing Mallett and Town is not apples to apples.  Although they were both ranked highly coming out of HS if you watched both of there first spring games here they are not comparable.  Mallett was way better.   Your other points while I may not agree with all I think they are fair points.  I just think the comparison of Mallett and Town is way off.

factchecker

Quote from: colbs on January 14, 2017, 11:11:03 am

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 11:09:46 am
Ask Trey Biddy and Fitz Hill. They can tell you better than I can. I'm not just talking about this year. I'm talking about since Beilema's been here.

Like Kenneth Dixon and Martrell Spaight?  Both of those guys were passed over by Petrino.  Spaight was told he was too small for the SEC.  Thank god he went JUCO and Bielema offered him.  Could you imagine if we would have had Dixon on the roster when Bielema got here?  Crockett was a miss but at least we got Whaley.

Otherwise here is a list of recruits we offered and didn't get along with some of the one's we didn't offer and where they wound up.  If you have a better list then share it.

Hunter Henry            Signed by Arkansas           Mackey Award Winner- San Diego Charger
Altee Tenpenny         Signed by Bama                              -
Brooks Ellis               Signed by Arkansas           Starting Linebacker
Austin Allen              Signed by Arkansas            Starting Quarterback
Jamar Criswell           ?                                                   -

Bijhon Jackson          Signed by Arkansas           In 2-deep rotation
Joshua Frazier           Signed by Bama               In 2-deep rotation (made tackle in playoff game)
Jabe Burgess             Signed by Tulsa                Transfer to Mississippi Gulf Coast CC (JUCO)
Josh Liddell               Signed by Arkansas           Starting Safety
Deandre Murray         Signed by Tulsa                Transfer to D2 Pittsburg State

K.J. Hill                     Signed by Ohio State                          Getting some playing time
C.J. O'Grady              Signed by Arkansas                             Getting playing time (caught TD in bowl game)
Will Gragg                 Signed by Arkansas                              To be Determined
Jamario Bell               Signed by Arkansas                             To be Determined
Dominique Reed         Signed by Arkansas (from JUCO)           Was key weapon in passing game last season

McTelvin Agim             Signed by Arkansas                            Starting defensive linemen
T.J. Hammonds           Signed by Arkansas                             Bright future in running back rotation
John Tate                   Signed by Memphis                               To be Determined- No stats available
Austin Capps               Signed by Arkansas                             Rotates in the two deep
Jordan Jones               Signed by Arkansas                              To be Determined- Redshirt

2013: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2013&position=&state=3

2014: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2014&position=&state=3

2015: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2015&position=&state=3

2016: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2016&position=&state=3

6 out of top 20 recruits have left state---- 3 of which had offers from Arkansas (Tenpenny, Frazier, and Hill)

ADD:

2017 recruits:

Akial Byers - Committed to Alabama - No offer from Arkansas
Montaric Brown - Committed to Arkansas
Joshua Johnson - Committed to Iowa State- No offer from Arkansas
Koilan Jackson - Committed to Arkansas
Taylor Powell -  Committed to Wake Forest - No offer from Arkansas

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 11:17:24 am
I'm not talking about the ones that we offered. If we offer them and they choose to go elsewhere that is on them. I'm just talking about the ones we didn't offer in the past or haven't offered so far this year.
2016- Demaria Crockett
2017- Tre Norwood
2017- Hayden Henry

Those are just the three that come mind at this point. Ask Trey Biddy, Danny West, Richard Davenport, and Fitz Hill about the rest. You know. The recruiting experts. I just find it real hard to believe that we only have 4 players in the state of Arkansas that are worthy of a scholarship and they will tell you the same.
hayden henry can walk on if he wants to play here, his pops is rich and so is big bro. He isnt scholarship worthy imo (and our staffs as well). Demaria Crockett- Are you serious clark? Like we are going to take that kid over Whaley and Hammonds (and White who we finished 2nd for). WE HAD WAY better targets than Crockett, who really didnt do much. 1000 yards as the primary back in a 12 game season is par for the course (80 yards per game). Tre Norwood- Are you seriously advocating that we sign 5 CBs???
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

colbs

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 11:20:37 am
Why is it so hard to understand that these kids can play multiple positions? Crockett was also a safety/linebacker in high school. Hammonds was also a slot receiver in high school. Neither one of these players are locked down to just one position.

We just need to get the best athletes that we can on the hill then decide where to put them when we get them there.
I wish they had offered him.  Besides him who should have they offered in the state?

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 11:23:45 am
Fitz Hill has been a coach on the hill and a major recruiter and Trey Biddy is the recruiting expert. I'm pretty sure the both of them know much more about recruiting than you ever will.
No, Danny West is the recruiting expert, Trey can't name the recruits we sign, much less the obscure ones in Arkansas. I trust Fitz more, but he's been out of the game for a long time.

factchecker

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 11:17:24 am
2017- Hayden Henry

With the connection that we have to that family do you not think we've done our due diligence on Hayden?

I guarantee he will get a preferred walk-on spot, similar to Grant Morgan.  We can't go around offering kids whose best offers are OBU and Harding.  The meltdown on the recruiting board would be unbearable.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

AirWarren

Y'all keep crying and fretting over stuff you can't control. What will happen will happen and there will be nothing you can do about it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: factchecker on January 14, 2017, 11:30:44 am
With the connection that we have to that family do you not think we've done our due diligence on Hayden?

I guarantee he will get a preferred walk-on spot, similar to Grant Morgan.  We can't go around offering kids whose best offers are OBU and Harding.  The meltdown on the recruiting board would be unbearable.
especially rich kids who can afford school

AirWarren

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 11:31:36 am

If his family can afford PA, then getting him into UAF isn't and won't be a problem.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 11:24:00 am
why are you worried about saving money? It aint your money. Going cheap is the absolute STUPIDEST thing we could do.

Not when you're going to be using a lot of it over the next two years.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 11:36:42 am
Not when you're going to be using a lot of it over the next two years.
that doesnt even make sense but I realize who I'm speaking with so I basically came into this convo with zero expectations. And, yet, I have no idea what you are trying to prove. It AINT your money, bro, and if you are talking about your piddly ass ticket fees, perhaps we should ACTUALLY SPEND THE MONEY to hire a coach capable of putting a decent product on the field.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: AP85 on January 14, 2017, 11:36:18 am
If his family can afford PA, then getting him into UAF isn't and won't be a problem.
exactly! They VOLUNTARILY paid for High School. So, yeah.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on January 14, 2017, 11:36:18 am

Maybe he was on a scholarship, I hear they do that, lol.........for good students

Inhogswetrust

There are not too many talented kids in Arkansas. there is only a small number every year. We get the HUGE majority of them. Everyone in any state strikes out on some recruits. There are highly recruited players in all states that go out of state to play. For us and our small population that is a good thing since without out of state players signing with theHogs we would not be able to field a top G5 type program much less a P5 conference one.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogfansince79

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2017, 09:22:35 am
Sounds like it's official:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mckewon-five-quick-takes-on-nebraska-hiring-bob-diaco-as/article_7c5ac760-d9e9-11e6-bba1-87606de26190.html

I like the some of the comments below the article...

CM Rich · Director of Coffee Operations at Crazy Mocha Coffee
UConn fan here to advise what you need to know about Diaco:
- he's not a bad defensive coach. You're lucky he doesn't oversee your offense.
- he will throw his position coaches under the bus, and sometimes players
- he has no idea how to make an actual analogy that you can make sense of, leading to some of the strangest quotes you've ever heard
- more style than substance. You'll probably love his intro presser. It goes downhill after that.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 14, 2017, 11:44:52 am
There are not too many talented kids in Arkansas. there is only a small number every year. We get the HUGE majority of them. Everyone in any state strikes out on some recruits. There are highly recruited players in all states that go out of state to play. For us and our small population that is a good thing since without out of state players signing with theHogs we would not be able to field a top G5 type program much less a P5 conference one.

Exactly. People sure didn't complain about CBB landing Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland, or JWill from out of state.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2017, 11:40:30 am
Maybe he was on a scholarship, I hear they do that, lol.........for good students
they DO NOT give schollies to THE RICH KIDS

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 14, 2017, 11:51:35 am
Exactly. People sure didn't complain about CBB landing Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland, or JWill from out of state.
Quickest way to ruin this program would be to spend a lot of time and money recruiting Arkansas kids.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 11:54:41 am
they DO NOT give schollies to THE RICH KIDS

I wasn't aware that you had kids that attend PV.

gchamblee

Quote from: factchecker on January 14, 2017, 11:26:15 am
Like Kenneth Dixon and Martrell Spaight?  Both of those guys were passed over by Petrino.  Spaight was told he was too small for the SEC.  Thank god he went JUCO and Bielema offered him.  Could you imagine if we would have had Dixon on the roster when Bielema got here?  Crockett was a miss but at least we got Whaley.

Otherwise here is a list of recruits we offered and didn't get along with some of the one's we didn't offer and where they wound up.  If you have a better list then share it.

Hunter Henry            Signed by Arkansas           Mackey Award Winner- San Diego Charger
Altee Tenpenny         Signed by Bama                              -
Brooks Ellis               Signed by Arkansas           Starting Linebacker
Austin Allen              Signed by Arkansas            Starting Quarterback
Jamar Criswell           ?                                                   -

Bijhon Jackson          Signed by Arkansas           In 2-deep rotation
Joshua Frazier           Signed by Bama               In 2-deep rotation (made tackle in playoff game)
Jabe Burgess             Signed by Tulsa                Transfer to Mississippi Gulf Coast CC (JUCO)
Josh Liddell               Signed by Arkansas           Starting Safety
Deandre Murray         Signed by Tulsa                Transfer to D2 Pittsburg State

K.J. Hill                     Signed by Ohio State                          Getting some playing time
C.J. O'Grady              Signed by Arkansas                             Getting playing time (caught TD in bowl game)
Will Gragg                 Signed by Arkansas                              To be Determined
Jamario Bell               Signed by Arkansas                             To be Determined
Dominique Reed         Signed by Arkansas (from JUCO)           Was key weapon in passing game last season

McTelvin Agim             Signed by Arkansas                            Starting defensive linemen
T.J. Hammonds           Signed by Arkansas                             Bright future in running back rotation
John Tate                   Signed by Memphis                               To be Determined- No stats available
Austin Capps               Signed by Arkansas                             Rotates in the two deep
Jordan Jones               Signed by Arkansas                              To be Determined- Redshirt

2013: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2013&position=&state=3

2014: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2014&position=&state=3

2015: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2015&position=&state=3

2016: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2016&position=&state=3

6 out of top 20 recruits have left state---- 3 of which had offers from Arkansas (Tenpenny, Frazier, and Hill)

ADD:

2017 recruits:

Akial Byers - Committed to Alabama - No offer from Arkansas
Montaric Brown - Committed to Arkansas
Joshua Johnson - Committed to Iowa State- No offer from Arkansas
Koilan Jackson - Committed to Arkansas
Taylor Powell -  Committed to Wake Forest - No offer from Arkansas

that bit of info does not paint a picture of us missing/striking out on instate recruits. it actually looks like we are doing pretty well with our instate talent.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 11:27:39 am
hayden henry can walk on if he wants to play here, his pops is rich and so is big bro. He isnt scholarship worthy imo (and our staffs as well). Demaria Crockett- Are you serious clark? Like we are going to take that kid over Whaley and Hammonds (and White who we finished 2nd for). WE HAD WAY better targets than Crockett, who really didnt do much. 1000 yards as the primary back in a 12 game season is par for the course (80 yards per game). Tre Norwood- Are you seriously advocating that we sign 5 CBs???
Crockett didn't start off the year as the starter. He also didn't play 12 games. Also he was also a safety/linebacker in high school. Could have played another position besides running back if we got him up there. Similar to what White is now doing at LSU. He is playing linebacker now.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: factchecker on January 14, 2017, 11:30:44 am

Not if it's an in state kid. Drew Morgan didn't have any big name offers besides us. He turned out pretty good. Not to mention he came from a winning program which is always a plus. It just means more when you play for your home state school. But that's maybe JMO...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 11:27:39 am
I agree 100%. I disagree with him not being a player. Kid as a beast.

factchecker

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 12:07:10 pm
Not if it's an in state kid. Drew Morgan didn't have any big name offers besides us. He turned out pretty good. Not to mention he came from a winning program which is always a plus. It just means more when you play for your home state school. But that maybe JMO...

I remember there being a pretty vocal group of people pissed about Drew getting an offer.  I've read some people bitching about a couple of the instate kids we've got this year as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawginbigd1

I love HV, but sometimes.....sometimes I just feel dumber for being here!

factchecker

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 14, 2017, 11:51:35 am

JWill was a Petrino recruit but your point still stands.

What kind of numbers would Whaley have put up if he was getting the majority of reps?  What kind of numbers would Crockett have put up if he was sharing a backfield with RWIII?

We will never know.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 11:56:22 am
Quickest way to ruin this program would be to spend a lot of time and money recruiting Arkansas kids.
You don't have to spend a lot of time and money recruiting Arkansas kids because they are right in your back yard. That's the point. I believe we at least have 10 players each year maybe more that are worthy of a power 5 offer. I just hate to see Arkansas kids that we didn't even offer go elsewhere and tear it up when they could have been helping us get back to respectability.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: factchecker on January 14, 2017, 12:11:04 pm
I remember there being a pretty vocal group of people pissed about Drew getting an offer.  I've read some people bitching about a couple of the instate kids we've got this year as well.
They don't understand. In order to be an in state kid from Arkansas now days you really have to be a top notch player. I'm talking blue chipper.

I loved it when he got an offer because I knew the kid was a player from seeing him play 3 years at Greenwood. You can't measure heart, determination, want to, and competiveness.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 13, 2017, 10:58:26 pm
Surprise suprise,  we lost a dc to Nebraska and now settling for Rhoades who has done nothing in recruiting his whole year.  Should we be surprised that this would happen under the Bielema admin?  Absolutely  par for the freaking course.  National signing day is coming within two weeks it is also subpar.

Say you. 

What's your rationale?  Why do you think he was our first choice?  We interviewed him and we passed, so what's your problem?  Just a few questions you should be asking instead of trashing the coach because Diaco wasn't chosen...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2017, 11:57:52 am
I wasn't aware that you had kids that attend PV.
I don't. But I am aware of the scholarship process at Arkansas' Private Schools. perhaps you should stick to tractors. I wont argue with you about soil conservation, either.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 14, 2017, 12:04:58 pm
Crockett didn't start off the year as the starter. He also didn't play 12 games. Also he was also a safety/linebacker in high school. Could have played another position besides running back if we got him up there. Similar to what White is now doing at LSU. He is playing linebacker now.
White was a 5* as a linebacker. He was a 4* RB. He wanted to play so he did. No way he was beating out Guice and Leonard. I dont think Crockett was rated as a LB.

rljjr

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 14, 2017, 11:31:36 am

Has ZERO to do with it. You're either worth a scholarship as a player or you aren't -- as deemed by the coaches. It's not a charitable organization donating money to those who can't afford it. You get the best 85 you can get.