Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Old Timers

Started by Rzback, January 12, 2017, 06:04:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 17, 2017, 09:27:52 am
We finished in the top 15 (well, there was one year when we were 16th) eighteen times between when I was born and when I turned 30 years old.  Eleven of those finishes were top tens.  So yeah...Arkansas football really was that good when we "old timers" were younger.

But here's the main point.  Some of us waited almost 30 years, from 1982 to 2011, to see Arkansas finish in that 18th or 19th or 20th top ten.  We endured a lot of bad Razorback football, but FINALLY the program was once again what a lot of us knew, and had been telling everyone, it could be with the right coach.  And then?  POOF.  We're right back to mediocrity.

Yeah, that's a little hard to take.  Hearing people tell all the rest of us it's all we can really expect is even harder.

College football has to be looked at in the different eras though. Integration in college football was a big change, and marked the start of a new era. Conference realignment started another era. Also, another things that changed things was the scholarship limits.

I was born in 1970. The Hogs really have not been very good in football CONSISTENTLY, wince the mid-late 80's and even that was helped by half the swc, seemingly, being on probation.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LJHOG

Quote from: Rzback on January 12, 2017, 06:04:48 am
I'm seeing more old timers throwing in the towel than ever before. Being satisfied with middle of the pack just isn't satisfactory. Difficult time to be a Razorback Fan. I have my opinions but I will keep them to myself. Just sad seeing long time Hog fans giving up.
I went to my first Razorback game in 1959.  I do not expect to live long enough to see Arkansas win the SEC.  In fact, I think we will be in a 2nd tier conference before I'm gone.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Rzback on January 12, 2017, 06:04:48 am
I'm seeing more old timers throwing in the towel than ever before. Being satisfied with middle of the pack just isn't satisfactory. Difficult time to be a Razorback Fan. I have my opinions but I will keep them to myself. Just sad seeing long time Hog fans giving up.
What are you even talking about?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DLUXHOG

Quote from: LJHOG on January 17, 2017, 11:49:42 am
I went to my first Razorback game in 1959.  I do not expect to live long enough to see Arkansas win the SEC.  In fact, I think we will be in a 2nd tier conference before I'm gone.
Hope !     No one, and nothing is beyond HOPE......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

little pigee

Well, I was 9 years old in '64, and I remember...Oh, horseshit, I don't even remember what I had for breakfast!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

hogsanity

Quote from: LJHOG on January 17, 2017, 11:49:42 am

I think the Hogs will win the sec at some point. I do not think they are going to be a perennial secw div winner though.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE