Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 12 thread: #5 Arkansas (8-3, 0-0 SEC) vs. USC (8-2, 0-0 PAC12)

Started by JHicks3636, March 03, 2018, 06:47:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AHiD

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on March 04, 2018, 04:42:35 pm
He was right.  Sitting Dom did the trick.  He just didn't mentioning pinch hitting him when everything was on the line haha

I'm Jerry Jones like I said
My name...is Jerruh

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: hogfanboy2 on March 04, 2018, 04:38:00 pm
I need to see the replay  I thought they had 5 in the infield   it seems  like one of them should have be dead center  to get fletcher's ball
yea  I guess they must of been shifted a little but  5  players packed into  a pulled in infield  it seems like someone (other than the picture should have been closer to the ball

They had 3 to the right of 2nd base bag. 2 to the left.

Pig Mania

Quote from: Schlomo Hogstein on March 04, 2018, 04:43:40 pm
I sit behind the opponent's dugout. Yesterday I was surprised by the amount of rah-rah from the USC bench in response to trivial events: a called ball, catching a flyball, getting a walk, etc.. It was very Little League / softball / Pac 12.

The leaders of the rah-rah were #22 Mason Perryman, a 6-6 pitcher and #35 Connor Lunn, their vaunted closer.

I don't want to see any college player get injured. But Fletcher almost taking Lunn's head off and leaving Lunn sprawled out on the pitcher's mound was sweet on so many levels: (1) Dominic beats his homeboys; (2) We steal a win that USC had already counted; (3) Karma.

BTW, my previous favorite karma/ revenge moment was when Mikey Mahtook of LSU over-celebrated his go ahead run in the top of the 9th. A few minutes later, he never took his hands off his knees in centerfield when James McCann launched the towering game winning HR in the bottom of the 9th.

This. They had a very vocal, chirpy dugout. Reminded me of a softball team. Bonfield shut them up quickly in game 1 but it was nice to bring them back down to earth again

247Hog

Like many have already said, thank you guys for the PBP. Great win Hogs!
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Tony Perkis

Just got home from the game. A few observations:

- Great comeback and great win. It's great to win one like that. Proud of the way the guys fought back.
- Still a lot of things to get right. Too many guys LOB, errors, streaky hitting.
- Cole is stroking the ball right now and from both sides. Textbook #2 hitter with the ability to hit for contact, power, and speed.
- I have never seen a bullpen or dugout act the way USCs did. Climbing on the fence, yelling scoreboard at the fans, doing stereotypical southern dances to the songs played over the stadium. Had to be a long jog into the dugout after Dom's smash.
- I will enjoy the rest of my Sunday much more now.

SPAL

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on March 04, 2018, 04:46:44 pm
Hey, I was right, wasnt I? Bench him to get him out of his slump?

I guess you could say that. I could counter with Evan Lee didn't do anything Dom wouldn't have, and we can't assume that the reason Dom came through was because he was benched. Factually, all we can say without speculating, is that Evan Lee didn't produce any more than Dom, and Dom did have a walk off....so, it's safe to say that Evan Lee for Fletcher wasn't successful.

You made a good call in saying Dom needed a day off. You whiffed on Evan Lee.

I'm.just playing with you.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Schlomo Hogstein on March 04, 2018, 04:43:40 pm
I sit behind the opponent's dugout. Yesterday I was surprised by the amount of rah-rah from the USC bench in response to trivial events: a called ball, catching a flyball, getting a walk, etc.. It was very Little League / softball / Pac 12.

The leaders of the rah-rah were #22 Mason Perryman, a 6-6 pitcher and #35 Connor Lunn, their vaunted closer.

I don't want to see any college player get injured. But Fletcher almost taking Lunn's head off and leaving Lunn sprawled out on the pitcher's mound was sweet on so many levels: (1) Dominic beats his homeboys; (2) We steal a win that USC had already counted; (3) Karma.

BTW, my previous favorite karma/ revenge moment was when Mikey Mahtook of LSU over-celebrated his go ahead run in the top of the 9th. A few minutes later, he never took his hands off his knees in centerfield when James McCann launched the towering game winning HR in the bottom of the 9th.

This is beautiful. Karma is a nasty beech. Glad it was one of them idiots getting his hair trimmed by that ball. :D
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

elksnort

Heston's hit will be something of a legend in Arkansas baseball. I'm not saying Brett Eibner legend, but pretty good.

snoblind

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on March 04, 2018, 04:46:44 pm
Hey, I was right, wasnt I? Bench him to get him out of his slump?

If you would have called "then have him pinch hit for a walk off" you could have been an EI legend.

TebowHater

DVH postgame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_PSE8rJv4

Players postgame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKGieJ6p8Eo

Favorite quote: "I don't like coaching with a clock...I told Coach Anderson, I'd be coaching basketball if I liked coaching with a clock...I don't like it!"

AHiD

Quote from: snoblind on March 04, 2018, 05:58:14 pm
If you would have called "then have him pinch hit for a walk off" you could have been an EI legend.

I already am an EI legend
My name...is Jerruh

SPAL

AHiD

My name...is Jerruh

ucahogfan

A couple of takeaways from the weekend:

Craig Parry, our volunteer assistant and catching coach, needs to just work on Koch blocking the ball all the time instead of trying to backhand it.  Cost us a couple of runs this weekend.

We saw some good pitching this weekend and Martin and Kjerstad did pretty well.  Gives me a lot of hope for SEC play.  While we will see better pitching in SEC play, USC has some good arms.

We are going to have to lock in more on defense.  Several of the errors we have made this year have just been due to a lack of focus such as the error by Gates today.

Our top 5 of Biggers, Cole, Kjerstad, Bonfield, and Martin have been solid so far this year.  We need Shaddy, Koch, Fletcher, and Gates (to a lesser extent) to step up and join them.  If we can get all nine going at once (probably impossible), we will be able to dominate teams.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on March 04, 2018, 06:14:04 pm
I already am an EI legend
Have you already forgotten about your posts that have been deleted homie???

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

philiphog

I stomped off and got mad in the 5th inning. How did the game turn out?

SPAL

Quote from: philiphog on March 04, 2018, 08:48:56 pm

I had to step away for a while too. No shame in it. Beats the alternative

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: philiphog on March 04, 2018, 08:48:56 pm

Pretty good. Stomp off more often and quicker next time!
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

AHiD

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 04, 2018, 07:38:30 pm
Have you already forgotten about your posts that have been deleted homie???

I didn't know any were deleted
My name...is Jerruh

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 04, 2018, 07:13:29 pm

We saw some good pitching this weekend and Martin and Kjerstad did pretty well.  Gives me a lot of hope for SEC play.  While we will see better pitching in SEC play, USC has some good arms.

We are going to have to lock in more on defense.

I think this is the biggest takeaway.  The only caveat I would say is - I'm not sure how good USC's arms are.  I think their bullpen is comparable to a conference bullpen, but I'm not sure their starters match up. 

Tony Perkis

Quote from: dotnet on March 05, 2018, 09:19:03 am
I think this is the biggest takeaway.  The only caveat I would say is - I'm not sure how good USC's arms are.  I think their bullpen is comparable to a conference bullpen, but I'm not sure their starters match up.
Starters were pretty stout from what I saw. Probably not top tier SEC level, but the best rotation we've seen yet.

Amityvillehogger

Great part about the weekend is we took 2/3 from a good team and didn't play well at all.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

BroyledNutts

Quote from: dotnet on March 05, 2018, 09:19:03 am

USC's pitching staff is comparable to most SEC weekend rotations, save perhaps the Friday night starter - and SUC's Friday guy wasn't chopped liver either.

This past weekend was a preview into SEC play for us vs. most of the teams we will play in conference. Solid pitching, solid defense, capable offense. From what I saw over the weekend we still have quite a bit of work to do before conference starts - and it starts in a couple weekends against a team in Kentucky that has been laying the wood to opponents, although perhaps those lesser in capability. They will roll in here no doubt looking to make an early season statement out of us. There needs to be a lot of improvement in fundamentals and mental preparedness, and a third of our starting 9 needs to wake up at the plate, by the time the Wildcats get here March 16.

rljjr

It's a crying shame those Trojan boys had to flee the stadium so fast to catch their flight. They didn't even have time to get a good look at the scoreboard.

Pudgepork

The Arizona and USC games are great prep for sec games.  Winning the majority of those games is great and struggling for wins should gel this team.  Frosh are getting big time college baseball experience with the only thing on the line is national ranking. 

Tony Perkis