Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Questions about today's game

Started by Hogwild07, March 17, 2006, 06:58:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild07

Why the hell did Darian Townes only play 9 minutes?  He had 6 pts. and we desperately needed him this game.

And why was Heath making those horrible substitutions.  Just recently he has been subbing frequently and putting bad lineups out on the floor.  Jefferson, Ferguson. and Hunter should NOT be out on the floor at the same time.  I don't understand Heath's obsession with Hunter...he's not any good.  Townes should be playing instead of Hunter.  He does NOTHING for us.

Also.....why does he allow Bucknell to continue to keep busting 3's in our face.  We have the depth to play hard defense and be in the guy's face non stop.  They could not score a 2 pt. field goal.  All they had goin for them was 3 pointers.  If we would have played hard D and forced them to drive, Hill could have swatted everything that came his way.  We didnt challenge them and we didnt maintain a fast tempo throughout the game.  We waited til the end to start pressing and forcing TOs...and by then it was too late.

This poor coaching is the main reson we lost today, and with Heath running this team we cannot expect much improvement.

hogman64

I  couldnt agree more with your 3rd paragraph..............

neblon

The reason we didn't run and press more is because we didn't want to wear out our shooters....Stan Heath after the Bucknell loss.I heard this or something to the effect of this on channel 7 sports (KATV) tonight. 

neblon

Quote from: neblon on March 17, 2006, 07:35:08 pm
The reason we didn't run and press more is because we didn't want to wear out our shooters....Stan Heath after the Bucknell loss.I heard this or something to the effect of this on channel 7 sports (KATV) tonight. 
THIS is exactly what he said:

I just didn't think it was in our best interest to play 40 minutes of that style when the depth is going to catch up to us," said losing coach Stan Heath. "The first thing that happens to you if you press a lot if you worry about your legs. And the last thing I need right now -- when we're struggling to make shots -- is to all of sudden fatigue two of my best scorers with extended defense."

PigmundFreud

I was at the game and I have to say that the only reason why we lost is our inability to hit an outside shot. They were packing the lanes and all we could do is try to drive and hope for a foul or a tip in. If we would have had only 1 decent 3 pt shooter, it would have been a completely different game.
And by the way, if anyone thinks Brewer is a lottery pick then they are swimming in a sea of ignorance. He must learn to take over the game before 1:31 left in the second half. Great talent but many times too unselfish

Topcat

What shooters? The reason we don't cover 3 point shooters is beause AR players think everybody shoots like they do. Clang, clang, clang, clang... 

hogman64

Quote from: neblon on March 17, 2006, 07:42:03 pm

I just didn't think it was in our best interest to play 40 minutes of that style when the depth is going to catch up to us," said losing coach Stan Heath. "The first thing that happens to you if you press a lot if you worry about your legs. And the last thing I need right now -- when we're struggling to make shots -- is to all of sudden fatigue two of my best scorers with extended defense."

ok lets break that down...........we have better athletes, one pro for pressing
we have more depth, two pros for pressing,  they depend more on the 3 point shot therefor if we even get equally tired from the pressing game, which it shouldnt be equal since we have more depth, the tired theory for the three point shooters is in our favor, 3 pros for pressing,
if the press breaks down we have the best defender in the game in the paint to stave off some easy baskets, 4 pros for pressing............sorry but i dont see any D**N cons...........STAN....

Thrilbilly

Quote from: hogman64 on March 17, 2006, 08:58:55 pm

ok lets break that down...........we have better athletes, one pro for pressing
we have more depth, two pros for pressing,  they depend more on the 3 point shot therefor if we even get equally tired from the pressing game, which it shouldnt be equal since we have more depth, the tired theory for the three point shooters is in our favor, 3 pros for pressing,
if the press breaks down we have the best defender in the game in the paint to stave off some easy baskets, 4 pros for pressing............sorry but i dont see any D**N cons...........STAN....

+1 for ya brother. And I like the exclamation on STAN!

hogballs

So instead of running and pressing and getting easy baskets, layups, dunks or getting fouled and going to the line; we're coming home because our coach wanted to save the legs of our best shooters.  Makes a lot of sense.

Hog_One_Stop

We are saving our legs for next season,  Get us a shooter Stan

hogman64

Quote from: hogballs on March 17, 2006, 09:05:59 pm

So instead of running and pressing and getting easy baskets, layups, dunks or getting fouled and going to the line; we're coming home because our coach wanted to save the legs of our best shooters.  Makes a lot of sense.

someone should have just gotten obnoxious at that press conference and said   "ok Stan  under your tired legs for the three point shooters theory , did you ever think that having to fight off a pressing defense the whole game might have made their three point shooters legs  tired as well.. and by the way Stan, your 3 pointer shooters couldnt hit anything anyway......"