Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now that the dust has settled.....

Started by rude1, March 17, 2006, 04:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

if I was grading I would give Heath a D, he did the bare minimum to pass and save his job, he got into the tourney. With that said, this was not a satisfying year for me. It took him four years to get us back to where we were when we were complaining about Nolan. This season reminds me so much of Nolan's last two tourney teams. All looking lost, then a late season run to sneak into the tourney, only to be ousted just as quickly. Those two times we were ousted by teams that played in legitimate bigtime conferences, this time we are ousted by a mid-major. Yeah Yeah I know they got Kansas last season. But isn't that even more reason that we should have been more ready to play? Yes I think Stan has done enough to keep his job, but here is the reality of where we stand: Four years later we are still an unranked program. Four years later we are a program that everyone outside the state of Arkansas picked the mid-major to advance against. Four years later we still do not have one bonafide shooter on the basketball team. Four years later we still have no identity as a basketball program. Four years later there is no reason to believe that next season we will be a better and ranked team. In the end it was a better season than the previous three but once  again we are still not close to being one of the elite basketball programs in the country and we must wait till next year, and with what we are losing combined with what we have coming in, I have no reason to think there will be much improvement for next season.

SupaCrawf

I'd give you an F on breaking on paragraphs
I'm kind of a big deal.

pbjones81

The dust hasnt settled as far as Im concerned....Im still pissed!! 

HOGLUVIN

got us in the ncaa and got us in a position to win.... hit free throws and we win... period.

cant blame stan for guys botching the easiest figgin shot in the game.

rude1

Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 17, 2006, 04:08:55 pm
Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 17, 2006, 04:18:06 pm
got us in the ncaa and got us in a position to win.... hit free throws and we win... period.

Then there is no reason to ever blame him. He doesn't ever take a shot, he doesn't ever defend anyone, He doesn't make a pass. So lets just give him a lifetime contract because he is a good guy and none of this is his fault....

SAUhogfan

Heath deserves plenty of heat, but we can't really fire him after all we heard all year long was "make the tourny or else".  He made it, he just reverted to his old self once there.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2006, 04:24:21 pm

Then there is no reason to ever blame him. He doesn't ever take a shot, he doesn't ever defend anyone, He doesn't make a pass. So lets just give him a lifetime contract because he is a good guy and none of this is his fault....
totally not what I am saying. If you want to blame him for some of the bull loses in the reg season, I will totally agree, but today he had our guys in a positiion to win and they blew it, not him.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2006, 04:06:41 pm
if I was grading I would give Heath a D, he did the bare minimum to pass and save his job, he got into the tourney. With that said, this was not a satisfying year for me. It took him four years to get us back to where we were when we were complaining about Nolan. This season reminds me so much of Nolan's last two tourney teams. All looking lost, then a late season run to sneak into the tourney, only to be ousted just as quickly. Those two times we were ousted by teams that played in legitimate bigtime conferences, this time we are ousted by a mid-major. Yeah Yeah I know they got Kansas last season. But isn't that even more reason that we should have been more ready to play? Yes I think Stan has done enough to keep his job, but here is the reality of where we stand: Four years later we are still an unranked program. Four years later we are a program that everyone outside the state of Arkansas picked the mid-major to advance against. Four years later we still do not have one bonafide shooter on the basketball team. Four years later we still have no identity as a basketball program. Four years later there is no reason to believe that next season we will be a better and ranked team. In the end it was a better season than the previous three but once  again we are still not close to being one of the elite basketball programs in the country and we must wait till next year, and with what we are losing combined with what we have coming in, I have no reason to think there will be much improvement for next season.

I give Heath a B-. He got us to the NCAA Tourney and showed another year of improvement. I give Nutt a D because he never wins more games than the previous year, but somehow manages to recruit decent players.  I give rude1 an F on post quality and a D+ for logic. The + is because I realize he was emotional when he posted.

SultanofSwine

You have got to be kidding a B? He had a week to prepare for one team and what was the game plan...play exactly to the opponents strengths. Yeah that deserves a B for freakin Bonehead.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 17, 2006, 04:34:23 pm
You have got to be kidding a B? He had a week to prepare for one team and what was the game plan...play exactly to the opponents strengths. Yeah that deserves a B for freakin Bonehead.

Are we evaluating the season or a game?

HOGLUVIN

we were in a position to win, that is his job. we were right there all fargin day...players didn't make plays. dont grade him at all if you dont want, but he didn't do anything wrong this game( this doesn't exempt previous performance, including but not limited to bad timing or lack of use of timeout and/or having improper personnel on the floor at crucial times.)

SultanofSwine

Wasn't the game part of the season? How about the Ole Miss game or the Ms. State game or any of the games we lost by less than 4 points. When a team is that close to being good, coaching is the difference.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 17, 2006, 04:37:19 pm
Wasn't the game part of the season? How about the Ole Miss game or the Ms. State game or any of the games we lost by less than 4 points. When a team is that close to being good, coaching is the difference.

What about the Florida and Tennessee games?  Were they not part of the season?

Josef

Who the hell said the dust has settled?

SultanofSwine

Luvin, did you watch the game? Everyone in Arkansas knew Bucknell's strength was in the slow down game and motion offense to set up the 3. Did any part of our game plan for the first 36 minutes of the game look like this staff knew that was thier strength?

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 17, 2006, 04:39:02 pm
Luvin, did you watch the game? Everyone in Arkansas knew Bucknell's strength was in the slow down game and motion offense to set up the 3. Did any part of our game plan for the first 36 minutes of the game look like this staff knew that was thier strength?

Did you watch the Florida State/Duke Game? Coach K had quite a while to prepare and lost. Obviously he can't coach.

SultanofSwine

Dali, it helps when the opponent plays into your strengths which is what Florida and UT did in those games, they got tight and pressed too much forcing thier offense which increased the tempo and we took advantage of it. Why did we have to wait until the final 8 minutes of those games to press the issue? Heath had a Ferrari for a team and chose to run molasses in the tank.

SultanofSwine

I'm not a fan of either of those teams.

HOGLUVIN

yes i watch it. I watched our guys get caught on the back side or go the wrong way around screens all fargin day.

I watched Hill, Towned and Hunter give way too much space to a 3pt shooter and get one hit in their eye.

I watched on shooter take the set up dribble to his right and be off balance, then the hog defender never closed the gap so HE DID IT AGAIN, and hit it in his eye.

I saw our guys getting biched on the court by weaker guys physically who out played and out hustled our hogs all day...

Since you asked, I saw our All American, Mr Everything Ronnie Brewer play absentee all fargin day today. We could have used some of his average today.

HOGLUVIN

I also watched simultaneously as our guys fell to the ground pleading for an illegal screen as the ball went through the net all day....

Any the only person with enough nuts to fight and/or stay in there and get banged was Manimal ...Charles Thomas...again.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 17, 2006, 04:42:02 pm
Dali, it helps when the opponent plays into your strengths which is what Florida and UT did in those games, they got tight and pressed too much forcing thier offense which increased the tempo and we took advantage of it. Why did we have to wait until the final 8 minutes of those games to press the issue? Heath had a Ferrari for a team and chose to run molasses in the tank.

If Bucknell missed ANY onf those 3 desperation/off balance 3's (all with defenders in his face) we win. This has nothing to do with preparation and everything to do with Bucknell playing with determination and getting some lucky breaks.

Josef

CHARLES THOMAS PLAYED TODAY???? news to me

Calling All Hogs

Its enough to make Betty Ford start drinking! Heath needs to room with Eddie in rehab and take
notes on how to control the tempo of a fricking basketball game!

rude1

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 17, 2006, 04:30:19 pm
Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2006, 04:24:21 pm

totally not what I am saying. If you want to blame him for some of the bull loses in the reg season, I will totally agree, but today he had our guys in a positiion to win and they blew it, not him.
We have been in position to win all season, coaches aren't judged on the amount of times their teams are in a position to win, they are judged on how many times do they actually win, and how often do they win when it really matters. Like it or not, todays coaches are judged more on this tourney than anything else. No one would care if we are a fourteen seed every year if we made a run in the tourney and reached the elite eight or final four...

SultanofSwine

Luvin, just curious but who do you suppose is supposed to correct things like going under a screen for a 3 point shooter? It's not like we haven't done the same thing all year. Who is supposed to correct defensive spacing? Who is supposed to set the tempo for on the court aggressivness? Mr. Passive pants just maybe? Everything you named is a direct result of subpar coaching. Sure the players made or didn't make the plays but the weaknesses of this team stem from piss poor fundamental instruction and lack of heart from the head hog.

qakhed

it comes down to mental toughness. And for the most part our guys don't have it. You can't coach it. It is a God given gift, just like heart.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

rude1

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 04:31:21 pm
Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2006, 04:06:41 pm

I give Heath a B-. He got us to the NCAA Tourney and showed another year of improvement. I give Nutt a D because he never wins more games than the previous year, but somehow manages to recruit decent players.  I give rude1 an F on post quality and a D+ for logic. The + is because I realize he was emotional when he posted.
Simply means you are easy to please. You are happy to just get in the tourney, I am not. Heath did just enough to keep his job IMHO, so that deserves no more than the lowest passing score a D....

hogman64

Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 04:47:16 pm

If Bucknell missed ANY onf those 3 desperation/off balance 3's (all with defenders in his face) we win. This has nothing to do with preparation and everything to do with Bucknell playing with determination and getting some lucky breaks.

I am going to disagree with you on one of those threes,  the long one from right in front of their bench, launched with no more than one sec on the shot clock............go back and watch the video  as the guy is fumbling around trying to get control of the ball , instead of throwing his arms up and covering up any possible shot vincent Hunter is standing there with his arms to his sides, only when it is too late does he throw up one arm..........

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 17, 2006, 04:59:16 pm
Luvin, just curious but who do you suppose is supposed to correct things like going under a screen for a 3 point shooter? It's not like we haven't done the same thing all year. Who is supposed to correct defensive spacing? Who is supposed to set the tempo for on the court aggressivness? Mr. Passive pants just maybe? Everything you named is a direct result of subpar coaching. Sure the players made or didn't make the plays but the weaknesses of this team stem from piss poor fundamental instruction and lack of heart from the head hog.

awe horseshit.... Stan Heath shouldn't have to teach a guy how to get around a fargin screen as a senior in D1 or how to make a fargin free throw...gimme a break.

SultanofSwine

Can't coach mental toughness huh? It's probably a good thing all the coaches in the Hall of Fame didn't know that on the front end.

HOGLUVIN

**Stan Heath yells from the sideline** 

Remember guys B-E-E-F
Bent your knees
Elbow at 90 degree angle
Extend at the rim
Follow threw...

Shiite. Mike Nail would kick his arse.

SupaCrawf

No one would care if we are a fourteen seed every year if we made a run in the tourney and reached the elite eight or final four...
[/quote]

BS.  You'd take a season of crappy play to be an underdog from the start?  The mark of success is going to the confrence tourney knowing you're in the dance regardless.
I'm kind of a big deal.

SultanofSwine

If the player can't do it right IT IS HIS FREAKIN JOB TO TEACH IT OR SIT HIS ASS ON THE BENCH.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: SultanofSwine on March 17, 2006, 05:03:21 pm
Can't coach mental toughness huh? It's probably a good thing all the coaches in the Hall of Fame didn't know that on the front end.

recruiting issue. not a tournament coaching issue.

you cant teach tall or leadership...its not created in strife...its revealed.

HOGLUVIN

WE WOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING 2 ON 5 !!!!!!!!!!

nwarazfan

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 17, 2006, 04:37:07 pm

we were in a position to win, that is his job. we were right there all fargin day...players didn't make plays. dont grade him at all if you dont want, but he didn't do anything wrong this game( this doesn't exempt previous performance, including but not limited to bad timing or lack of use of timeout and/or having improper personnel on the floor at crucial times.)

Grade for the season a B.  Grade for today D-.  Would be an F but you are correct in that he couldn't shoot the FTs.  No way in hell that Bucknell should literally walked up the court in the 2nd half until the last 5 minutes.  Stan tried to force our game on them way too late.

SultanofSwine

I actually have no problem with that. A coach with some freakin BALLS would be nice for a change.

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: hogman64 on March 17, 2006, 05:01:46 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 17, 2006, 04:47:16 pm

I am going to disagree with you on one of those threes,  the long one from right in front of their bench, launched with no more than one sec on the shot clock............go back and watch the video  as the guy is fumbling around trying to get control of the ball , instead of throwing his arms up and covering up any possible shot vincent Hunter is standing there with his arms to his sides, only when it is too late does he throw up one arm..........

I'll give you that one, I just saw the replay on the news. However, I also saw a bump from another Bucknell player on that play that interferred with his position. Not much, but fatigue is a bitch and those bomps are effective in distracting defenders or people wouldn't do it.

On that point, Bucknell got away with a load of moving screens and sliding walks throughout the game.

HOGLUVIN

Whatever. We lost... everyone remember to stretch before you jump off of the bandwagon so you dont pull a muscle.... fairweather biotches.

rude1

Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 17, 2006, 05:03:27 pm
No one would care if we are a fourteen seed every year if we made a run in the tourney and reached the elite eight or final four...

BS.  You'd take a season of crappy play to be an underdog from the start?  The mark of success is going to the confrence tourney knowing you're in the dance regardless.
[/quote] If this team consistantly made it to the elite eight and final four, I don't think anyone here with one brain cell would complain about the regular season play. We would be beating our chest proclaiming that we are a great tourney team and are only interested in winning enough games to get to where it matters..

Niels Boar

I generally agree.  Squeaking into the NCAAT from the SEC West this season wasn't a clear sign of great progress.  The Ole Miss program finally bottomed out, Auburn didn't make any improvement from last season, and MSU was rebuilding.  All three could/should get much better soon.  Bama could have been much better than they were if Davis had stayed healthy and Winston hadn't made a poor choice for himself.  Neither LSU nor Bama is going anywhere.  They seem to have enough in-state talent to remain contendahs.  Heath couldn't have asked for more opportunities to make a big splash in the SEC this season.  It ain't going to get any easier.  Odds are the SEC will start ramping up.

If Taurean Green is aware of Modica behind him, UT doesn't fall apart on their homecourt, or Davidson doesn't get in foul trouble, we are in the NIT.  Granted, one can validly point out that those are the kinds of opportunities a winning program creates, but I wasn't convinced by our win streak.  We then did zip in postseason to validate it.  We once again look stymied by a less talented club today, a none too rare occurrence the last couple of years.  This season still leaves me feeling very uncomfortable with the direction of the program.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2006, 05:15:12 pm
Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 17, 2006, 05:03:27 pm

If this team consistantly made it to the elite eight and final four, I don't think anyone here with one brain cell would complain about the regular season play. We would be beating our chest proclaiming that we are a great tourney team and are only interested in winning enough games to get to where it matters..
[/quote]

We'd be saying that in March.  The entire regular season would be nothing but Fire Heath.  And, when we ran the tourney to make the dance, people would post "Damn, he saved his job again"

BTW, who makes the final four consistantly?
I'm kind of a big deal.