Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop Recruiting athletes and recruit a SHOOTER

Started by leggman131652002, March 17, 2006, 01:52:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

leggman131652002

I could care less how high a guy can jump how acrobatic he can dunk...please just find some 5'11 white boy that can shoot the ball.

mutdog

Amen.  Forget the athletes, find some pure shooters. 

Hoop

Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

Hoggy Potter

Couldn't agree more!!  What was the last PURE shooter we had?  Pat Bradley?  You could argue for Pookie but other than that bring in someone with no vertical but a smooth stroke!!  If Bucknell can have them then I know we could find one!
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

hog37

Hoggy Potter

Quote from: hog37 on March 17, 2006, 02:14:08 pm
I'll take athletes.

And you'll keep losing Stan!!  A team where the majority are athletes is great...still need someone who can put it through that little round thing called a hoop!
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

DOGALUM

We have one......his name is Sean McCurdy.  Does us no good from the bench.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Josef

Dont expect sonny weems to fill the shooting void....hes an athlete

hoginator

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on March 17, 2006, 01:59:26 pm
Couldn't agree more!!  What was the last PURE shooter we had?  Pat Bradley?  You could argue for Pookie but other than that bring in someone with no vertical but a smooth stroke!!  If Bucknell can have them then I know we could find one!

Double Amen. Does Pat have any younger cousins, nephews, brothers, etc?
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

wincrimson

I think a lot of schools recruit way too many "athletes" and not enough basketball players.

HOGLEG

Quote from: Josef on March 17, 2006, 02:19:46 pm
Dont expect sonny weems to fill the shooting void....hes an athlete
Ya, but at least he will defend someone unlike our other "affletes". ;D

artyhog

The 3 players signed and coming to the Hill next year are all shooters.

Josef

True he will defend.....but hes not gonna be a 3 point shooter at all

HOGLEG

Quote from: Josef on March 17, 2006, 02:24:54 pm
Ya, I know he's not a pure shooter. He's very similar to Ronnie Brewer (with the exception of the retarded looking shot). Biggest difference is that Sonny will actually try to defend someone and THRIVES on trying to take the game over in crunch time.

hogtheball

Quote from: leggman131652002 on March 17, 2006, 01:52:33 pm
I could care less how high a guy can jump how acrobatic he can dunk...please just find some 5'11 white boy that can shoot the ball.

If we're dreaming up players, let's make him at least 6'2" or 6'3".  Why not recruit some Yugoslavians? Even the 7'0" ones can shoot threes. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsNbeer

Now this is a good thread...I totally agree with it.... We also need more fundamentally sound players..... Also good free throw shooters.......     I know I'll get Smited for this but I dont' care........I know many of ya'll HATE Coach K and Duke, but he ALWAYS has Pure Shooters, and always has GOOD free throw shooters......   Hmmmmmmm, and they are tied with Carolina with 10 #1 seeds in Tourney History... Coincidence?  I think not...  We NEED Pure Shooters....!

ogar_hog

We've got one up there (cranford), but he would get abused on D.

qakhed

Remember Cannon Whitby? That was the good ol' days. Tjis irwin guy from Miss. state is a good shooter I hear.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

hogtheball

Quote from: ogar_hog on March 17, 2006, 02:50:43 pm
We've got one up there (cranford), but he would get abused on D.

If by "abused on D" you mean other teams would light it up on him, then who cares?  We are already in the bottom 35 teams in the country defending the three, and that's with DJ and Ferguson on the court.  Mark Price wasn't exactly a defensive wiz either, but he won ball games.   

Did you just watch Bettencourt for Bucknell?  He killed us and he didn't even have to play D.  What are we going to do - shoot a three?  He dared us all night.  That's part of good defense is having good enough shooters to make teams like bucknell with only 7 players actually get tired on D.   
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Man Mountain Truth

Thank You God!!!!!!!!!! A wise voice of reason...

Athletes do not win basketball games deep into any NCAA tourney. This team has not had credible shooting for years. When you consider the Razorback basketball program has had no dominant post play or any shooting to speak of in the recent past, it is somewhat amazing this team did as well as it did.

I have argued for ten years now that the overall state of Basketball ( In terms of watching on T.V. or at a game) is much less enjoyable. The quality of play has degraded. I think this is due to the reliance on 'Athletes' as opposed to basketball skilled players.

Heath is a better recruiter than coach. Hire another Hipsher to teach and motivate and let Heath recruit and set the agenda.

All is not lost...........but losing to a semi-Ivy league outfit is a bitter pill indeed.
"I don't know, but I've been told, big leg woman ain't got no soul."

Robert Plant

hogtheball

Quote from: qakhed on March 17, 2006, 02:52:56 pm
Remember Cannon Whitby? That was the good ol' days. Tjis irwin guy from Miss. state is a good shooter I hear.

If you mean Ervin from Mississippi State, you heard wrong.  HE shot 22% from the 3-pt. line last year at MSU and 35% from the field.  Exactly the same as Jefferson.

qakhed

is that all? They really talked him up earlier.

Tmac813

What does having a 5 11 white guy have to do with being a good shooter?  Man, I can't believe this thread.  How many athletes did we have when we won the National Championship?  Texas Tech has a bunch of white guys, and Duke always have athletic players doing the dirty work for the prima donnas...

hogtheball

Quote from: qakhed on March 17, 2006, 03:30:22 pm
is that all? They really talked him up earlier.

Ah,  the perverbial "they."   Sometimes "they" don't know what they're talking about. 

yocdaddy

Amen brother.  It seems as though every other team has a 6'0 white boy that completely whips our a$$.  Heath took out McCurdy for fouling on the penetration, but he wouldn't take out Ferguson for not fighting through screens.  He wasn't hurt, his pride might have been hurt because a white boy was lighting him for the second straight game.  By the way, in the last two losses, Ferguson (supposedly our best perimeter defender) has been lit up like a joint at a rapper's house.  First by Humphrey from Florida (25 pts vs Hogs) now by Bettencourt (18 pts vs Hogs).  

Does anyone think that McCurdy could be that type of player in the future if given half a chance in hell?  I do.  

Where oh where does Ronnie Brewer go in the first half of games?  He is flat out not ready for the NBA.  A true lottery pick could have dominated the Bucknell Bison all game long.  

I must be the last to come around.  I have supported Heath all season long, but can do it no longer.  If a player doesn't produce, he should sit.  And, if a player is making the same mistakes today that he did two months ago, I would rather watch McGowan, McCurdy, Cranford, and Munsey play.  Of course, I don't see what goes on in practice, but I do see what continues to happen in the games we lose.

Jefferson played more today than he has in the past 7 games by far (makes sense, seeing how this is the biggest game of the year).  Townes and Hill should play at the same time.  Their improvement with both of them on the floor at the same time would be tenfold.  Townes is really a power forward anyway, and Hill is a true center.  

It would be nice to recruit a kid who could run off a screen and knock down some shots.  Of course, we would also need to teach our returning players to set aforementioned screens.  

Anyway, sour grapes the way it ended.  At least I was smart enough to only pick them to beat Bucknell.  My bracket won't suffer.  
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

hoggystyle78

I'm sure Grit will say that all of the newcomers we have coming in have better range than Al Dillard but when they get to campus the go from Al Dillard to Phyllis Diller. We don't need more shooters we just need a BB coach who can make adjustments during the game and one who has control over his players. Our guys fought hard and didn't quit this year when things got tough. They made it to the tourney in spite of Stan, not because of him.

hogtheball

Quote from: Tmac813 on March 17, 2006, 03:34:47 pm
What does having a 5 11 white guy have to do with being a good shooter?  Man, I can't believe this thread.  How many athletes did we have when we won the National Championship?  Texas Tech has a bunch of white guys, and Duke always have athletic players doing the dirty work for the prima donnas...

Actually, I think Thurman was one of the worst "athletes" to start during those years.  Nolan knew you need a shooter on the court to win games.  As you recall, we didn't press during the Thurman/Corliss years like we had in the past.  Nolan decided to sacrifice his press to go to a more half-court oriented game that favored Corliss and Scotty's abilities.   J.J. Reddick is three times the defender Scotty was.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Tmac813 on March 17, 2006, 03:34:47 pm

From what I'm hearing Smith is more of an athlete and Beverly is a shooter.  Take both and take our chances.  We need some guards that can play D more than we need guards that shoot.

Tmac813

hogtheball

Quote from: Tmac813 on March 17, 2006, 03:55:35 pm
1990 final four with athletes...

That team had the ultimate, Todd Day.  An pure athlete who is also a pure shooter.  Those don't come around as often as we'd like.  Then, we had a real point guard who could shoot.  However, they didn't win it all and they should have.  Do you realize they didn't play a single top 25 ranked team in the tournament that year before the final four?  Not even one. 

qakhed

No movement on offense doesn't help anything either.  Brewer stands out on a wing, hill at the top of the key, thomas at the free throw line, and jefferson holding the ball at half court, and modica at the other wing. Not real hard to defend.

Tmac813

The problem with the having a good shooter vice athlete argument goes completely out the window if u think of Ronald Steele from Alabama.  In my experience having a white guy that can light it up, is only good if u have an athletic guard that can penetrate and kick out the pass.  We have not had a good pg since Corey Beck.  Please don't give me the McCurdy argument.  We are we so hard up for a good white player, maybe we should bring back Steve Schall, Jim Counce, or Scott Hastings?

Tmac813

Quote from: hogtheball on March 17, 2006, 03:59:14 pm

That team had the ultimate, Todd Day.  An pure athlete who is also a pure shooter.  Those don't come around as often as we'd like.  Then, we had a real point guard who could shoot.  However, they didn't win it all and they should have.  Do you realize they didn't play a single top 25 ranked team in the tournament that year before the final four?  Not even one. 
[

Wasn't Texas in the Top 25 that year?  Remember they were playing in the SWC then.  If I'm not mistaken they beat North Carolina in the sweet sixteen?  Not top twenty five?  I think we pissing in the wind here.../quote]

razorback3072

Quote from: wincrimson on March 17, 2006, 02:21:59 pm
I think a lot of schools recruit way too many "athletes" and not enough basketball players.

+1

I have been saying this for years.  This is where Nolan got us headed into the tank.  He quit recruiting guys that understood the game I.E. Mayberry, Beck, Day, Corliss, etc.  and started recruiting "athletes".  I think Stan has done a good job of getting away from that but has not recruited the shooters we need.  All we heard from him in the offseason was how good McCurdy could shoot but he doesn't play him enough.  IMO, they will be much better next year without Jefferson taking up playing time.  A lot like Olu was last year.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Tmac813

Isn't it quite possible that the game has evolved?  I mean u recruit players for the system that u play in.  One of  Nolan's biggest problems later on, was that Teams caught up with his style of play.  The SEC in my estimation raised the level of play when Arkansas Basketball joined in 1992.  Part of the reason why, the SEC is not highly respected by the idiot pundits, because out side of Kentucky, Arkansas is the only SEC team to win a NC in the last how many years?  It has nothing to do with white players, or black players, as I said on one of my other posts  There has not been too many good white players that ever played at Arkansas.  I notice if they are good they become the stuff of legends in the fans eyes.  Interesting?

EastexHawg

I'll take athletes.

Amen.

Our "athletes" may not be able to shoot the ball like the guys on a lot of other teams, but what about it?  Personally, I find shooting to be highly overrated in basketball.  If our "athletes" can run fast enough and jump high enough to shut the opponent out, it will be impossible for us to lose...

Besides, as soon as the decathlon portion of the game starts...we're gonna kick some ass!

clemensrules01

Quote from: HOGLEG on March 17, 2006, 02:33:29 pm
Ya, I know he's not a pure shooter. He's very similar to Ronnie Brewer (with the exception of the retarded looking shot). Biggest difference is that Sonny will actually try to defend someone and THRIVES on trying to take the game over in crunch time.
frick you. sonny can only hope to be as good as ronnie one day. youre an idiot and an a$$hole.

hogtheball

Quote from: Tmac813 on March 17, 2006, 04:14:43 pm
Quote from: hogtheball on March 17, 2006, 03:59:14 pm

[

Wasn't Texas in the Top 25 that year?  Remember they were playing in the SWC then.  If I'm not mistaken they beat North Carolina in the sweet sixteen?  Not top twenty five?  I think we pissing in the wind here.../quote]

None of the teams we played were in the top 25 in the last ranking before the tournament.  Obviously, NC got to the sweet 16 - but they weren't ranked going into the tournament. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: clemensrules01 on March 17, 2006, 04:32:05 pm
frick you. sonny can only hope to be as good as ronnie one day. youre an idiot and an a$$hole.
WOW!!!!!   

Clemons.....I see you're pulling no punches today.     

Hogleg.......you must have really pushed the wrong button.  Clemons and I have had our fair share of arguments but I've never....EVER....had him throw a "Frik you" my way.   Not only that but you have not only been labeled an idiot....but an a$$hole as well. 

Keep  up the good work Clemons!!!   Nice to hear you take it to someone else for a change my friend!!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

hogtheball

Quote from: Tmac813 on March 17, 2006, 04:12:14 pm
The problem with the having a good shooter vice athlete argument goes completely out the window if u think of Ronald Steele from Alabama.  In my experience having a white guy that can light it up, is only good if u have an athletic guard that can penetrate and kick out the pass.  We have not had a good pg since Corey Beck.  Please don't give me the McCurdy argument.  We are we so hard up for a good white player, maybe we should bring back Steve Schall, Jim Counce, or Scott Hastings?

So now you're saying a team is better if they have a player who can light it up and a guard who can penetrate and kick out the pass.  Welcome to the club.  I don't care if they're white, black, or green, however.  A lot of teams have had an athletic white point guard, and a black shooting guard and have been very successful. 

qakhed

I know why we lost. No hispanics. Oh, better add a token asian too.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on March 17, 2006, 02:18:05 pm
I'll take athletes.

And you'll keep losing Stan!!  A team where the majority are athletes is great...still need someone who can put it through that little round thing called a hoop!

Got to give a karma for that one!

Calling All Hogs

I would like to know why Hill can't learn to shoot in the 0-10 foot range considering the fact that
this simple skill would make him millions in the NBA.

HOGLEG

March 17, 2006, 05:14:43 pm #43 Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 05:17:36 pm by HOGLEG
Quote from: clemensrules01 on March 17, 2006, 04:32:05 pm
frick you. sonny can only hope to be as good as ronnie one day. youre an idiot and an a$hole.
Listen up junior. First of all, that's not a sippy-cup you've been drinking the kool-aid from... It's your momma's d0uche bottle. So just go put it back under the counter. And another thing, aren't you the same guy that made a COMPLETE a$$ of himself by arguing MM quite a while back ??? Now that you've been put in your place, you need to learn to be tolerent of other people's opinions without the childish remarks. You don't have agree, respect, or like what someone has to say. But there is no reason in childish banter back and forth. So, just let it go and agree to disagree.

arkiehawg

The team in 1990 had great athletes and some very good shooters.....the problem was that they played in Denver......Lack of oxygen and the speedy athletes ran out of gas.....Anywhere else (in lower altitude) and the results may have been different. 8)

Tmac813

Quote from: qakhed on March 17, 2006, 04:57:50 pm
I know why we lost. No hispanics. Oh, better add a token asian too.
[/quote

That's funny ]

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: CallMeHog on March 17, 2006, 05:03:19 pm
I would like to know why Hill can't learn to shoot in the 0-10 foot range considering the fact that

who in the hell would know if he could, it is pretty tough to shoot when you never touch the ball, hell I cannot believe he managed to put up five shots today that must be some kind of record for him
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

hogtheball

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on March 17, 2006, 05:46:42 pm

who in the hell would know if he could, it is pretty tough to shoot when you never touch the ball, hell I cannot believe he managed to put up five shots today that must be some kind of record for him

Amen!  He shoots 47% - he only gets two or three plays a game.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: hogtheball on March 17, 2006, 05:54:56 pm
Quote from: coolhandluke31 on March 17, 2006, 05:46:42 pm

Amen!  He shoots 47% - he only gets two or three plays a game.

Hell why did heath bother recruiting Big Men if all they do is play defense??
Sounds like genius to me.
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

Tmac813

The problem with Hill is his footwork in the post on offense.  He does not get the ball allot on offense, because he seems to panic when it's passed to him.  I think if he spent the summer working on his footwork, he could be a force.  At his size it's all about positioning.  That's why Big Nasty was so effective...